Sequels Jamie Foxx is Electro!

Once again, I don't see the point in bringing him back.

To me it seems incredibly obvious why they are doing it. if you are gonna do a cross over with previous spider-men. then you also wanna take a villain or 2 from each of those universes since then it creates an even bigger feeling of crossing over the universes. a mix and match as it were.

People seem to be twisting this news when it seems so obvious what they are doing here. and Marvel ain't stupid they are gonna get to this before WB does with The Flash. so they can say they did it first.

To me it seems incredibly obvious why they are doing it. if you are gonna do a cross over with previous spider-men. then you also wanna take a villain or 2 from each of those universes because then it creates an even bigger feeling of crossing over the universes when you can have a Spider-man from MCU fighting a villain from one of the other Non-MCU movies.

People seem to be twisting all this news when it seems so obvious what they are doing here. and Marvel ain't stupid they are gonna get to this before WB does with The Flash. so they can say they did it first.

We all GET he is here for some type of multiverse element. But, there wasn't just 1 Spider-Man movie before Tom Holland. There was 5 of them. They could have selected any one of the much more popular villains. Electro wasn't the only game in town. Basically, any villain besides Topher Grace Venom could have filled this same void and would have been met with more positivity.

We all GET he is here for some type of multiverse element. But, there wasn't just 1 Spider-Man movie before Tom Holland. There was 5 of them. They could have selected any one of the much more popular villains. Electro wasn't the only game in town. Basically, any villain besides Topher Grace Venom could have filled this same void and would have been met with more positivity.

Depends on the purpose. maybe they did look at all the villains. maybe electro was selected purely because of how his powers compared to the powers of the other villains they plan to use.

I don't believe for one moment he is the only villain here. i also doubt they looked at the villains and said hmmm... lets pick based on personality.

Depends on the purpose. maybe they did look at all the villains. maybe electro was selected purely because of how his powers compared to the powers of the other villains they plan to use.

But why migrate THAT Electro? They easily could have done a new Electro if they needed his powers and used another villain like Sandman as the multiverse villain. I guarantee Thomas Haden Church being in it would have had more enthusiasm. Also, yeah Sandman and Hydro Man would be similar, but Electro and Sandman are wildly different in power variety. They mesh fine. Also, Hydro Man won't be a member. He was already a fake illusion in FFH, so that point is moot.

Really the point is, they could have written this movie any million ways. They CHOSE Electro here. Everyone gets the multiverse crap, but thing is why write yourself behind the 8 ball by CHOOSING a villain no one liked? Why not write a movie that doesn't have a villain everyone hated and craft it around them? Yeah, I get he likely won't be the only villain, but I highly doubt he will be minor by that same token. So why put yourself at the disadvantage of needing to fix a crappy villain? It's just dumb to us that are skeptical.

Last edited:
Because that Electro is a crossover character. Part of the gimmick of Spiderverse.

They also may have picked based on power too. Which may have influenced the decision to pick him.

Because that Electro is a crossover character. Part of the gimmick of Spiderverse.

They also may have picked based on power too. Which may have influenced the decision to pick him.

I added to my above post. But in summary, the movie could have been written differently and accomplished similar goals. There is no need to elect willingly to use a character no one liked. Any villain could have been this crossover character and any villain could have been written into this role.

Foxx's Electro is a strange choice regardless if they change his backstory or keep it the same. Though if it's the later I guess they could just set a more serious tone for him other than the Batman & Robin tone they had in TASM2.

Maybe they chose Foxx again because he's still a well known name? Would his old sequel clauses still count I have to wonder or would this be a new contract entirely?

Its been 8 years right? i imagine that might be too long. the contracts likely expired. you either use them or lose them. otherwise you need to negotiate with them. you only create a new contract if you plan on carrying on using them.

The best way to look at this movie is as an event movie. which is probably how they are looking at it. you can't do a cross over with previous spider-men and it not feel like an event.

And MCU spider-man does not take itself that seriously.

Foxx's Electro is a strange choice regardless if they change his backstory or keep it the same. Though if it's the later I guess they could just set a more serious tone for him other than the Batman & Robin tone they had in TASM2.

Maybe they chose Foxx again because he's still a well known name? Would his old sequel clauses still count I have to wonder or would this be a new contract entirely?

His contract would have lapsed by now, so certainly new deal. TASM2 was released in 2014, right? Meaning filmed in 2013, so we are talking 7 years now. The standard for unused clauses in contracts is usually 5 years.

If they were trying to bring in a villain from the ASM universe sepcificaly the options were definitely limited. The Lizard wasn't that great and by the end of the first movie vowed to protect Peter. After that you have Electro, Rhino and Goblin. Rhino was treated as a joke and Dane Dehann isn't as hot as he was when cast in ASM2. That only really left Electro. Electro might be what makes the most sense to get the Garfield Spider-Man involved story wise without creating a new ASM villain.

One thing that this iteration of Spider-Man has done really well is the the villains and their designs. I'm not sure how things will go with Jamie Foxx back as Electro, but I'm starting to get a little excited about it and I can't wait to see what exactly they do with his supposed new design.

I wonder what are the odds that Feige simply wants to give Foxx a second chance at the character? Even if its a new version of Electro exclusive to the MCU.

On the surface it is an odd idea, but we know from the leaked emails that he liked Foxx in the role, but not the execution.

I wonder what are the odds that Feige simply wants to give Foxx a second chance at the character? Even if its a new version of Electro exclusive to the MCU.

On the surface it is an odd idea, but we know from the leaked emails that he liked Foxx in the role, but not the execution.
That's what I'm hoping it is. I don't necessarily agree with it nor understand it, but I'm curious

Id say the odds are about the same as Dr Strange being in it just because he gives good advice.

I'd say not impossible, but fairly low, because of when he was announced. I don't buy that they'd make Jamie Foxx Electro as the main villain because it'd be too radical, just bad marketing given the stigma attached, but if they happened to have Electro there in a lesser role and chose to cast Jamie Foxx it wouldn't be something needed to get squared away early on. Then on top of that there's the other reasons for thinking this is multiverse-related, Doctor Strange appearing, it being sandwiched between Wandaverse and Multiverse of Madness.

If they're bringing back Raimi/Webb characters, though, even in a secondary capacity, they'd want to know early on who's coming back and who's not so they can sort it out. It's not a "Who's going to play Mary Jane?" sort of thing, it's a "If we don't get Kirsten Dunst, that version of Mary Jane simply won't be in the movie" sort of thing. It needs to be accounted for in the script, so the sooner they can get it worked out the better. Jamie Foxx could easily just be the one who signed first.

Is it the first time ever that an actor plays two different versions of the same character? I can't remember any other example.
I didn't like ASM2's Electro that much. Sure he was powerful but his human persona was awkward.

Foxx is a good actor so I have confidence in him doing something else here. Like being more badass.

Judi Dench as M in both the Brosnan and Craig eras of Bond and Mark Hamill as Trickster in both the Flash TV shows come to mind. Of course J.K. Simmons too if we can count the Far From Home cameo. I'm sure there are more.

Judi Dench as M in both the Brosnan and Craig eras of Bond and Mark Hamill as Trickster in both the Flash TV shows come to mind. Of course J.K. Simmons too if we can count the Far From Home cameo. I'm sure there are more.
Ok :)
But was it really two different Tricksters? We got short flashbacks and it seemed it could be the same villain who returned after all these years.

He couldn't have been the same since there were two different versions of Flash that faced him and the Flash that originally defeated him in the 1990s show was playing Barry's father in the new one. Unless Trickster came from a different reality, which I don't remember them addressing, he was a different version of the same character.

It could have something to do with the alternate universes the CW shows constantly bring up.

Trickster was on Earth-90 (I think it's called that) and faced that Flash (which is Shipp).
The older Trickster we see in latest Flash (Gustin's version) is a "clone" of the same character, but on another earth. They both had their run of terror at the same time, but the old Trickster we see didn't have any Flash to clash with during his younger days.
That could be an answer :)

Shipp has played more characters than Barry's father. He's suited up as his old Flash again, but also the Jay Garrick Flash (with the winged helmet)

Didn't Gustin and Shipp's old Flash from Earth-90 team up to take down old Trickster, in one episode?

What would you guys like Electro's redesign to look?

From my previous post on the subject.

electro03-1.jpg

From my previous post on the subject.

It's funny. Everyone I know used to hate Electro's comics costume, now they want it onscreen. Maybe he can have the green and yellow suit, but maybe instead of the starfish he can have a scar or halo of electricity shaped like it, a la Spectacular Spider-Man?

I am betting it will be some type of take on the green/yellow suit. But not exact. Vulture and Mysterio had classic elements of their costumes, but were still distinctly different. Same will apply here.

I am betting it will be some type of take on the green/yellow suit. But not exact. Vulture and Mysterio had classic elements of their costumes, but were still distinctly different. Same will apply here.

I thought people liked Electro's TASM2 design, one of the few things they liked. What's with the sudden reversal?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"