Jamie Foxx's The Soloist (Dir. by Joe Wright)

Jamie Foxx and RDJ look like they really brought it. Foxx sounded completely different in a few scenes....really fell into the role. I think this is going to garner some serious award consideration. RDJ is on some role right now.

Anyone know the cello song playing throughout?

Sorry for the double post....

Found this:

Robert Downey Jr. to join the lead actor race in ‘The Soloist?’
Posted by Kristopher Tapley · 4:05 pm · September 6th, 2008

Robert Downey Jr. in The SoloistI’m hearing (not altogether surprising) rumblings that Robert Downey Jr.’s role in Joe Wright’s “The Soloist” is larger than Jamie Foxx’s homeless violinist Nathaniel Ayers and that he’ll be pushed as a leading actor contender by the good folks at Paramount Pictures and DreamWorks SKG. Apparently this is coming from a place of beaming confidence from the studio and Downey Jr. is said to be fantastic in the film.

“The Soloist” is, of course, largely Steve Lopez’s story. It is told from his perspective and is about, as the title of the book lets us know, “the redemptive power of music.” That would be Lopez’s redemption as much as Ayers’, seeing as the LA Times columnist has picked up his guitar again as a result of his relationship with the man. (Listen to Lopez discuss his interaction with Ayers and the process of committing that story to print here).

Of course, actors with star power have a say in these things. I can’t imagine Paramount would want to put both of these guys in the same category, but I’m starting to get more of a “Resurrecting the Champ” vibe out of Foxx’s role than before. Perhaps he’d be better suited in the supporting arena, but again, these are decisions that have yet to be finalized.

It goes without saying that Downey Jr. is having a hell of a come-back year. I’m still having conversations with industry folks that think he has a shot at Oscar gold for his work in “Iron Man,” but perhaps Paramount can spin that goodwill into the Best Actor group think for “The Soloist.”

Downey Jr., DiCaprio, Rourke, Jenkins, Langella, Penn, Mortensen, Eastwood, Pitt, Sheen……it’s gettin’ crowded in here. And Heath Ledger may have just seized the supporting prize.

More as it develops…

http://www.incontention.com/?p=1693

After seeing the trailer I'm not surprised RDJ is the one they are pushing for the Oscar.

The trailer for this film was really good, Foxx and Downey Jr look great on screen together, i think this will be a great film

The trailer started as another low-level story and ended like a very strong high-level drama! RDJ must be at least considered for the nomination and I can already see The Soloist fighting for the main awards along with The Changeling, The Wrestler and The Dark Knight! :up:

trailers looks good....it looks like another great movie starring RDJ.

This looks like complete Oscar bait, and I hate that. But Joe Wright is the real deal, so we'll see.

So apparently one of my fellow cast members wrote this...

28umofo.jpg

I love both of the main actors, but I'm not big on violin...I'll definitely see the film on dvd, however.

I think he's playing a cello, ATP. ;)

I thought it was a great trailer, super intense, great imagery. Hell even that poster gives off an intense vibe. I'm all about this.

Almost makes me want to pick up my violin again. :o

This looks like complete Oscar bait, and I hate that. But Joe Wright is the real deal, so we'll see.

I was actually thinking along those lines. I hate that actors seem to have this need to do mentally challenged characters in order to prove they can 'really act.' Can I get a physically disabled person, at least? No amount of great acting distracts me from the fact that someone just wants an Oscar.

"Never go full retarted."

It looks a little sappy for my taste but I enjoyed the directors previous work and RDJ...I like him now.

I was actually thinking along those lines. I hate that actors seem to have this need to do mentally challenged characters in order to prove they can 'really act.' Can I get a physically disabled person, at least? No amount of great acting distracts me from the fact that someone just wants an Oscar.

"Never go full retarted."

Where do you draw the line? Do we just stop making movies about or including mentally challenged characters?

What truly seems like Oscar bait out of the whole movie is the trailer/marketing campaign. The premise and actors involved could make it really funny and really heartbreaking at the same time yet its played up so dramatically. The trailer uses such cheap tricks to get an emotional reaction. Same with Cinderella Man which i still think was the reason it failed at the box office.

Where do you draw the line? Do we just stop making movies about or including mentally challenged characters?

What truly seems like Oscar bait out of the whole movie is the trailer/marketing campaign. The premise and actors involved could make it really funny and really heartbreaking at the same time yet its played up so dramatically. The trailer uses such cheap tricks to get an emotional reaction. Same with Cinderella Man which i still think was the reason it failed at the box office.

I like that. Make the movie more well rounded.

I draw the line here. We're at the point where big blockbuster movies can happily lampshade this practice (RDJ just earlier this summer in Tropic Thunder)... that means its old and tried. Unless you're bringing something fresh to the recipe, go back home.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohkeelay
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"