The Rise of Skywalker John Boyega as Finn (IX)

Really enjoyed him in TFA, thought he was more meh in TLJ and in the ROS I dunno his character just seemed to run out of gas to me as he didn't really seem to get much to do in this film.

(Also and I don't know how much of it is true but the whole thing with him and Isaac wanting to have their characters be a thing just seemed nonsensical and very odd, I mean I never got anything other than bro vibes between those two.)

Honestly I wonder if Finn was always intended to be revealed as force sensitive.

I mean whatever happened to this badass vibe that they were trying to market originally?

Finn2.jpg

I think with Finn it's a complete missed opportunity. Yeah, we always talk about how he's an ex Stormtrooper, but I don't think they ever did anything that amounted to anything substantial with it. Outside of the first movie obviously. Heck, it drove me crazy watching the last one and he wasn't even carrying a blaster Like a Storm Trooper would. For a character that's been his entire life training as a Storm Trooper, he should handle a blaster like a Storm Trooper.

(Also and I don't know how much of it is true but the whole thing with him and Isaac wanting to have their characters be a thing just seemed nonsensical and very odd, I mean I never got anything other than bro vibes between those two.)

Yeah, that's a thing fans do. If two guys express greater feelings toward each other than "we enjoy drinking beer and cheering for our football team together" or "if someone is trying to kill you, i'll kill them and then give you a stoic nod", then that means they're gay for each other.

I think with Finn it's a complete missed opportunity. Yeah, we always talk about how he's an ex Stormtrooper, but I don't think they ever did anything that amounted to anything substantial with it. Outside of the first movie obviously. Heck, it drove me crazy watching the last one and he wasn't even carrying a blaster Like a Storm Trooper would. For a character that's been his entire life training as a Storm Trooper, he should handle a blaster like a Storm Trooper.
tenor.gif

Terribly? :funny:

That and the whole time Finn is this semi-comedic sidekick character full of quips and one-liners who never acts like someone who's spent his whole life since childhood being an indoctrinated Stormtrooper.

Really enjoyed him in TFA, thought he was more meh in TLJ and in the ROS I dunno his character just seemed to run out of gas to me as he didn't really seem to get much to do in this film.

I thought Boyega and Isaac both felt like they just ran out of gas by the time we got to ROS. They just felt like baggage tagging along behind Rey, and the moments where the movie expected us to care about them felt very obligatory and unearned.

I thought Boyega and Isaac both felt like they just ran out of gas by the time we got to ROS. They just felt like baggage tagging along behind Rey, and the moments where the movie expected us to care about them felt very obligatory and unearned.
Yeah I agree they both were underutilized in this one I think it just felt at times like Poe had more bearing on the overall story here as he was assuming that Han Solo sort of role for this one, we got to go to a planet where we at least got some more of his backstory and he got to lead the battle against the final order.

Finn is an ex stormtrooper.

Themes to explore:
* Is he suffering from PTSD?
* How does he feel shooting stormtroopers (he might actually know them)?
* Does he want to free any of the stormtroopers?
* Is his (alleged) force sensitivity minor or powerful?
And so much more.

An utterly wasted character with potentially great themes and motivations that could have been mined and explored, all thrown to the wayside and for what?

People dump on Johnson for how he handled Finn, mostly for good reason, but I don't think Abrams went as deep into the character either. He has a nice arc in TFA, but it's too expedited. He goes from defecting almost immediately to blasting away his former comrades, and the film never digs in to the ethical and psychological implications of that. For the first time in film history Star Wars is asking its audience to empathize with a Stormtrooper, but then it also wants to still dehumanize all of the others.

yea, they never capitalized on what they started with finn in TFA.
but in general, ROS did not capitalize on lot of themes or ideas that were brought up in the previous two movies.
some loose threads left hanging.

Themes to explore:
And so much more.

An utterly wasted character with potentially great themes and motivations that could have been mined and explored, all thrown to the wayside and for what?

Yeah, i mean i get they had a lot on the table for the sequels.
World building, getting a story for at least 4 characters, bringing in the old cast too...but that they so completely dropped a character like Finn is criminal.
His whole plot in TLJ could have easily been reworked to tackle those questions, but for all the interesting things Johnson did, TLJs handling of finn was not one of those.

People dump on Johnson for how he handled Finn, mostly for good reason, but I don't think Abrams went as deep into the character either. He has a nice arc in TFA, but it's too expedited. He goes from defecting almost immediately to blasting away his former comrades, and the film never digs in to the ethical and psychological implications of that. For the first time in film history Star Wars is asking its audience to empathize with a Stormtrooper, but then it also wants to still dehumanize all of the others.

I dont think anybody was happy with Finns handling in ROS because he really didnt do anything except run behind Rey and scream.
I do understand that ROS didnt had the time, ROS didnt had time for a lot of things...but again i have to blame Johnson for TLJ on this.
Finns plot there was just stupid.
The worst is that you had a perfect base for the whole force dyad thing without feeling forced...if you would have done it with finn and rey.
In TLJ you could have done a similar story for both, both being lost and trying to find their way...you could have added the whole "Finn is force sensitive" and built upon it instead of this weird forcing of Reylo.
I mean dont get me wrong, especially in ROS i love the dyad thing with them, the idea of it and the visual effects with the whole thing
The fight on the Ship/planet while having this dyad looked so cool
But having this dyad with finn and all would imo have been a much stronger story.

So anyone see Boyega's new Instagram video with him basically 'reacting,' though more like trolling, all the online comments from people pissed at him for his Reylo remarks?

This man is a treasure.

Themes to explore:
And so much more.

Is he suffering from PTSD?

Aside from having a panic attack-ish in his very introduction, and later a short little monologue to Rey about being stolen from a family he never knew......nope, doesn't seem to be.

How does he feel about shooting Stormtroopers?

As gung-ho and nonchalant about it as any other SW character.

Does he want to free any of the Stormtroopers?

Nope, he guns them down as willy nilly as anyone, like they're video game characters.

Is his alleged Force sensitivity minor or powerful?

Who the hell knows, considering the series didn't throw that in there until the 11th hour.

So yea, not a great job tackling any of the obvious themes that were there for the taking.

As 'fun' as it is seeing Boyega dunking on whatever, I blame the people in charge of Star Wars most of all. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I wish Boyega threw that kind of energy at Disney for not giving us Storm Pilot.

It looks so bad that Joonas tagged him in the Ben Solo Challenge and then he puts this out instead...yikes. I'm torn between thinking it's hilarious and a really dumb move.

Yeah, they really dropped the ball with Finn but then they did that with just about all of them. Part of the result of having no mapped out plotline with character arcs for all three movies, they just made it all up as they went along. It seems like the only character whose fate was known was Kylo.

If they ever do another trilogy, they shouldn't shoot one frame of film without having a clearly outlined narrative for the entire thing.

Yeah, they really dropped the ball with Finn but then they did that with just about all of them. Part of the result of having no mapped out plotline with character arcs for all three movies, they just made it all up as they went along. It seems like the only character whose fate was known was Kylo.

If they ever do another trilogy, they shouldn't shoot one frame of film without having a clearly outlined narrative for the entire thing.

Now that you say that, i dont remember ever hearing anybody say something along the lines of that for other characters.
I mean lately someone who worked on the movie(cant remember who) said that it was always the plan to go the way they did with Kylo.
But i never heard anybody really say something like that with rey, finn or poe.

And i so wanna know the details when they decided to do this sequels.
What they thought, what they actually had planned out...i want to know all of it and how things did turn out how they did in the end.
I refuse to believe that they had this little of a plan, i know it looks that way...but i refuse to believe it.

I just cant for the love of me accept the idea that they had so little plan going into this all.

I refuse to believe that they had this little of a plan, i know it looks that way...but i refuse to believe it. I just cant for the love of me accept the idea that they had so little plan going into this all.

After TROS I just don't think they had anything. Only Kylo had an arc. No-one else really progresses at all.

In a strange twist, I think the mission statement to have our heroes working together ended up knee-capping everyone. Rey spends the entire film trying to get away from Finn and Poe, who in turn just kind of follow her around. There's no evolution or drama in their grouping, just banter, and Rey shakes them off in time for the finale anyway. It's especially bad for Finn, who doesn't even get a satisfying role in the climax.

Well, Poe was supposed to die at the beginning of TFA, so we know they didn't have any plans for his character at first. And as it turns out, they never came up with one.

Now, I know Lucas never really had the OT mapped out either, but he didn't know he was going to be doing a sequel when he filmed ANH. Darth Vader wasn't Luke's father at first and Leia wasn't Luke's sister until RotJ. When they started writing TFA they knew that they were doing three movies and that an established plotline would be crucial, so I have no idea why they didn't get one put together.

I hope they follow the new characters in a new trilogy just so they can get some good writers and give them the character exploration they didn't get in the ST. This time around they seemed to be a lot more worried about creating cool-looking characters to sell toys than they were about telling a good story.

John Boyega did nothing wrong. Also, people are ****ing *******s on social media. Like why are Reylo shippers attacking Boyega because like it's like Finn's fault that Finn didn't end up with Rey or that Kylo died?

Also, shipper fandom is messed up, and so is social media in general. Seriously, some of the garbage I've seen on social media from weird corners of fandom has given me grey hair. It's freaking mind-boggling.

John Boyega did nothing wrong. Also, people are ****ing *******s on social media. Like why are Reylo shippers attacking Boyega because like it's like Finn's fault that Finn didn't end up with Rey or that Kylo died?

Also, shipper fandom is messed up, and so is social media in general. Seriously, some of the garbage I've seen on social media from weird corners of fandom has given me grey hair. It's freaking mind-boggling.

That's not what happened. JB made a comment and his owns fans on IG expressed their disappointment. He then deflected the conversation onto Reylos for some reason and one of them was bullied off of social media and she was a Finn fan. He's doubling down on it now for god knows what reason and is more or less immature af.

That's not what happened. JB made a comment and his owns fans on IG expressed their disappointment. He then deflected the conversation onto Reylos for some reason and one of them was bullied off of social media and she was a Finn fan. He's doubling down on it now for god knows what reason and is more or less immature af.

Based on what I've seen it's weirder than that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"