John Murphy/The Score & Composer Thread

An old, perennial question. And here it is again. :cool:

Is the John Williams music THE Superman theme? Many have argued yes — and have drawn the comparison to Monty Norman’s James Bond theme. No matter the era, no matter the stylistic tone, no matter the actor, Norman’s familiar fanfare/motif is a constant.

Or is Supes more like Batman (e.g., Elfman, Zimmer, Giacchino)? Thus, different iterations warrant different musical themes.

George Harrison- 'here comes the sun"
Tom petty - "running down a dream"
Bon Jovi - "its my life"
Chumbawamba - "I get knocked down"
David bowie - "heroes"
Metallica - "nothing else matters"
3 doors down - "it's not my time"
Five for fighting - "its not easy"

George Harrison- 'here comes the sun"
Tom petty - "running down a dream"
Bon Jovi - "its my life"
Chumbawamba - "I get knocked down"
David bowie - "heroes"
Metallica - "nothing else matters"
3 doors down - "it's not my time"
Five for fighting - "its not easy"
I love you as a fellow shhyper and supes fan but no way on this music selection.

I want Benjamin Wallfisch to score it. I think he has the right sensibilities for Superman. I absolutely loved what Zimmer did for Cavill's version, I listen to his MOS score on an almost unhealthy level but I think people want that Williams feel back. Hi Shazam score is great and he's scoring The Flash too.

I want Benjamin Wallfisch to score it. I think he has the right sensibilities for Superman. I absolutely loved what Zimmer did for Cavill's version, I listen to his MOS score on an almost unhealthy level but I think people want that Williams feel back. Hi Shazam score is great and he's scoring The Flash too.
I really didn't care for MOS or its score, it all felt very pretentious like it was some amazing thing we are about to witness. I hate supes first flying scene and the narration over the top.

I like my supes landing on Earth with no idea who he is meant to be. It should just be a internal learnt thing from his upbringing.

Thats fair, I like the epic, grandiose feel of Zimmer's MOS score but to each their own. I also love Williams' OG score for the Reeves films and I think thats what most people wanna get back to, more orchestration and less heavy synths.

I love you as a fellow shhyper and supes fan but no way on this music selection.
I would not be wild about such a selection either, but if Gunn does direct, I fully expect a crazy selection of music such as this.
I will also not be surprised if he goes after Williams to compose the score.
No one should be surprised.

Last edited:
The Williams Superman theme should always be in there somewhere (along with elements of his Krypton theme too). However I’m my opinion Zimmer’s work on Man Of Steel is absolutely superb. I thought Ottman’s soundtrack for Superman Returns was great too.

I want someone who can mix up all these themes a little bit and make something new.

I would definitely be hyped to see what Ludwig would come up with for Supes. He’s one of the most creative mainstream composers in the game, imo.

Granted, Stranger Things is the only scoring work they’ve done, but Kyle Dixon and Michael Stein might have an interesting, different sound for Superman…

An old, perennial question. And here it is again. :cool:

Is the John Williams music THE Superman theme? Many have argued yes — and have drawn the comparison to Monty Norman’s James Bond theme. No matter the era, no matter the stylistic tone, no matter the actor, Norman’s familiar fanfare/motif is a constant.

Or is Supes more like Batman (e.g., Elfman, Zimmer, Giacchino)? Thus, different iterations warrant different musical themes.

Interesting. I hadn’t thought of Superman as Bond with regards to the theme.

I don’t think he needs to stick with it. I loved Zimmer’s sound for MOS; I’d like to see another composer for have that chance too.

I've loved most Superman scores I've heard, including for animation. Williams' is certainly the most famous, but at this point, we've had so many good ones, I see no reason it needs to be designated the "only" Superman theme.

I love the Williams theme, but they tried to incorporate it into the Whedon version of Justice League and it just didn't work. Its not a theme that can work with all Superman adaptions.

I know Danny Elfman tried to justify using his Batman theme and Williams Superman theme for his JL score using the James Bond theme comparison, but the problem with that is that the Broccoli's have been the ones making the Bond movies for decades and have only really used that theme. Its not the same thing.

I agree that Superman has been blessed with many great scores. I would love it if the next film could integrate all of them into the ultimate Superman theme.

I think the director should choose a composer and they should make a theme, like the old days.

I love the Williams theme, but they tried to incorporate it into the Whedon version of Justice League and it just didn't work. Its not a theme that can work with all Superman adaptions.

I know Danny Elfman tried to justify using his Batman theme and Williams Superman theme for his JL score using the James Bond theme comparison, but the problem with that is that the Broccoli's have been the ones making the Bond movies for decades and have only really used that theme. Its not the same thing.

To be fair Elfman was given very little time to get Justice League’s soundtrack right. I think you can fit old themes in but you’ve got to get the mix right. The whole Joss Whedon version of JL was rushed beyond belief instead of being delayed.

To be fair Elfman was given very little time to get Justice League’s soundtrack right. I think you can fit old themes in but you’ve got to get the mix right. The whole Joss Whedon version of JL was rushed beyond belief instead of being delayed.

Justice League was set in the SnyderVerse, with versions of Batman and Superman that already had different themes associated with them. That would be like doing a sequel to Nolan's TDK trilogy and bringing back Christian Bale's Batman and putting the 60s TV show theme in it. It wasn't made for that universe. Tonally it does not fit.

In general, characters like Batman and Superman have had so many different versions and themes that its never going to be like James Bond where you can just recycle the same theme over and over again because the audience expects it at this point.

Williams Superman theme is great, but at this point its not a one size fits all thing that you can throw into anything Superman related, because its identified as the Christopher Reeve Superman theme.

Last edited:
No one, and I mean no one, to this day can hear the Williams theme and not think Superman.
That as much identifies superman, as the Star wars theme or the jaws theme does for those properties.

Bear McCreary
John Powell
Ludwig Göransson
Steve Jablonsky

I’d be down with McCreary or Goransson. Two of the most talented and prolific composers working today.

If you’ve heard both of McCreary’s God of War soundtracks, you know he’d absolutely kill it with his Superman theme.

Powell is an interesting idea. He did a good job emulating the John Williams sound in Solo.

No one, and I mean no one, to this day can hear the Williams theme and not think Superman.
That as much identifies superman, as the Star wars theme or the jaws theme does for those properties.
One of my favorite games is trying to "sing" or hum the S:TM theme, Indiana Jones and Star Wars with out stuffing it up.

Powell is an interesting idea. He did a good job emulating the John Williams sound in Solo.

…and Hancock too with the Superman style theme.

Speaking of needle drops…

Perfect for a montage of Superman’s saves all around Metropolis.

After 'Nope,' I'd love to see Michael Abels take a shot. He put together a really awesome, retro score there and I'd love to see those sensibilities applied to Superman.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohkeelay
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"