Jon Watts Exits As Director

What I like about him directing the fantastic 4 is that he'll be working for Feige and only Feige. The other deal is Kevin Obviously like the guy and sees something in him that makes him right for this IP. I'm just excited to see what they come up with.

The man got wrecked for years by Spider-Man fanatics when he I believe he did a great job every time, building this Spider-Man story one movie at a time. Of course No Way Home is the biggest crowd-pleaser, but the story arc that Spider-Man went through wouldn't make sense without Homecoming and Far From Home. It's a Trilogy that deconstruts and changes the way origins stories are told. I'm incredibly excited for his take on the Fantastic Four.

^ this. I just hope we will have at least a trilogy for FF

"Spider-man fanatics" who are probably "toxic" too...

Ironically... Everything that is needed to understand the context of No Way Home is already there and the premise is very simple. Spider-man indentity is revealed to the world. That's it.

Stark is never mention in any significant way. Ned is "comic relief'. MJ is Peter's girlfriend and that's it, we still don't know anything about them and Peter didn't learn anything and in NWH is once more naive and irresponsible teenager. Aunt May was all this time just hot cool quippy aunt, nothing more.

Let's not pretending that previous movies were planned to be a setup for origin because we know that idea for multiverse came out late in the process. This could very well be another "Far From Home".

I won't pretend that NWH makes Homecoming and FFH better, because it doesn't.

I felt homecoming and FFH were fine honestly. But the sub genre Watts was going for is completely different than what fantastic 4 would be.

Last edited:
"Spider-man fanatics" who are probably "toxic" too...

Ironically... Everything that is needed to understand the context of No Way Home is already there and the premise is very simple. Spider-man indentity is revealed to the world. That's it.

Stark is never mention in any significant way. Ned is "comic relief'. MJ is Peter's girlfriend and that's it, we still don't know anything about them and Peter didn't learn anything and in NWH is once more naive and irresponsible teenager. Aunt May was all this time just hot cool quippy aunt, nothing more.

Let's not pretending that previous movies were planned to be a setup for origin because we know that idea for multiverse came out late in the process. This could very well be another "Far From Home".

I won't pretend that NWH makes Homecoming and FFH better, because it doesn't.

For me NWH didn't need to make HC and FFH better. They were fine movies as they were which needed to do something different compared to the failure of the Amazing Spider-Man franchise and make lots of money. They did both. Of course the Multiverse was added later, but they always have an idea of where to take the characters, even if specifics change.

After seeing No Way Home, I know feel much better about Watts being the director for FF. I really thought No Way Home was a major step up in the quality from the last two movies. Watts nailed humor, warmth, and drama in a way that felt very nice.

Well, this doesn't seem like the best news.

Meh. It was amicable. Dude is just burnt out. And honestly want F4 to feel different from Spider-Man movies.

Always thought he was a temporary placeholder until Marvel actually put the film on the release schedule and had writers attached.

Oh this is a shock! But I understand, it’s a big project with lots of pressure.

if it was anyone else other than marvel I would be a bit worried. This is the sort of thing that makes hack directors jump over and try and worm their way in. But marvel know what they’re doing

Oh this is a shock! But I understand, it’s a big project with lots of pressure.

if it was anyone else other than marvel I would be a bit worried. This is the sort of thing that makes hack directors jump over and try and worm their way in. But marvel know what they’re doing

At least it's not Masters of the Universe or Red Sonja. :o

I love this news. No shade to Watts but it seemed like such a boring choice. Please no Peyton Reed either.

Fresh blood please

I love this news. No shade to Watts but it seemed like such a boring choice. Please no Peyton Reed either.

Fresh blood please

The director of Morbius then? :o

Sony would hired that director for Morbius: Let There Be Blood.

Anyway, I liked No Way Home. Far from Home and Homecoming not so much. Watts Marvel Studios is going to do is probably just find a director well suited for the Fantastic Four. I hope they already started looking for a replacement.

He’s the director no more.

Glad he's gone. Two underwhelming Spiderman films, and the best parts of NWH were from the Sony films.

Id like for Krasinski to direct, but Marvel picks the most random directors so whoever they do pick probably won't be anyone Im considering.

Yeah I fully expect Marvel to play it safe and hire a journeyman like Peyton Reed.

What about Justin Lin? He's got experience with big budget films, ensemble cast, Visual effects and action heavy films. His track record is a little spotty, but he's aslo be anchored to a franchise that's clearly run out of ideas.

Yeah I fully expect Marvel to play it safe and hire a journeyman like Peyton Reed.

That's what bothered me about the Watts hiring in the first place. If Marvel wants to go back to the well, then go all the way back. Jon Favreau.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"