Homecoming Jon Watts IS Marvel & Sony's 'Spider-Man' Director

Oops i missed those. Been yrs since I seen those two.

Watts is easily controlled and influeced which is why he was chosen, thats it. Spider-man is a big money franchise Fiege wants a puppet who will do exactly what they say and not question anything.

Watts is easily controlled and influeced which is why he was chosen, thats it. Spider-man is a big money franchise Fiege wants a puppet who will do exactly what they say and not question anything.

Here we go again...

Anyone else getting deja vu?

Here we go again...

Not being negative, why do you think he was hired despite no experience? Not even a well recieved movie under his belt like J Worlds Colin T or Josh trank. Just quite odd this guy was hired

Last edited:
Not being negative, why do you think he was hired despite no experience? Not even a well recieved movie under his belt like J Worlds Colin T or Josh trank. Just quite odd this guy was hired
When I read the article about them choosing him it had a lot to do with his ideas for the franchise. He may be bringing something very fresh to the franchise.

When I read the article about them choosing him it had a lot to do with his ideas for the franchise. He may be bringing something very fresh to the franchise.

well ok then that does make sense, I hope he can pull it off though.

Believe it or not,Feige listens to What a director has to offer,he made a few mistakes like with Alan Taylor,but he has a great track record.

He does have a well received movie, cop car. That seems to be the trend, get an indie director with one well received movie. Cheap and possibly good

Feige said they picked Watts for his talents. And whether or not he was picked as the 'yes man' director that Webb seemingly was, let's just say, I have far more faith in a Feige puppet than a puppet controlled by Arad/Tolmach.

Feige said they picked Watts for his talents. And whether or not he was picked as the 'yes man' director that Webb seemingly was, let's just say, I have far more faith in a Feige puppet than a puppet controlled by Arad/Tolmach.
Well said! :up:

All McU directors are puppets.:o Tangled in strings...
tumblr_ndwc85vAVy1rvufhzo2_250.gif

Come on sure marvel has a way they want there films to be. But I seriously doubt watts will just be a puppet. There is many other hack directors that could have been picked to do that. Look at the folks marvel has worked with. Sure there is some conflicts. But no studio is at fault at that.

Jon Watts Talks Landing 'Spider-Man' & Tom Holland

Sundance used to be a place where the boutique distributors went to find the next art-house hit and Oscar underdog. In recent years, Sundance has become the place where the studios go to find the next fresh filmmaker to take on a larger project, like Colin Trevorrow, with Jurassic World, and yourself, with Spider-Man. When you look back, how did this happen?

I’m not really sure what happened. I had never been to Sundance before. I was nervous because that was the first time we were showing the movie to an actual crowd. So I was dealing with that. I mean, Sundance is like a genre. At least it was to me growing up and in film school: it’s like a Sundance kind of a movie. But [Marvel] got to see Cop Car and they really liked it. But yeah, this trend is interesting. Now, I’ve got to make a slightly more expensive version. It’s an opportunity to just have a much bigger canvas instead of just scrapping together any story you can.

When you agree to sign on to a big franchise out of Sundance, how much thought goes into the compromise of, “Okay, I’ve always wanted to make this kind of movie, but at the same time, that means I’m not going to be able to make the two or three films that might be a little more personal.” Is there much consideration about those compromises, or am I being too philosophical about it?

I think that’s a little philosophical. I mean, I still have so many movies that I want to make, and [Spider-Man] just gets to become one of them. That’s how I think of it. I still have a lot of ideas I want to make, in addition to this, and I don’t think it’s a one-way path in that sense.

I love the casting of Tom Holland, someone I interviewed for The Impossible…

He’s so good in that.

…and when he was making Locke. I just really like the idea of him as Spider-Man and the direction you seem to be steering with him as your hero. What does he bring to the role that we haven’t seen before?

He can be a real high school student. That’s why people love Spider-Man. He’s the most grounded, relatable of superheroes. And Tom can really do that. He captures that. And he can do a standing back-flip. He’s perfect.

We’ll meet Tom’s Spidey before your film [in Captain America: Civil War]. Do you have to work in collaboration with other filmmakers on that, or do you just work independently on your standalone?

I mean, it’s a big universe, so everyone sort of works with each other to make sure that there’s continuity and that it all fits together. It’s really exciting actually. We’re just getting started, working on the script and all that, but it’s going to be a great process.

Entertainment Weekly

Some nice comments on how he scored gig and his feelings on tom. Can't wait to see what's they both bring to spidey under kevin watchful eye.

Watts was also a music video director like Webb was, in fact, they worked together before.

Also it was said he did direct alot of comedy vid to for the onion. I am curious to see what his style and visual flair will look for the film.

good chance they share same destiny.

C´mon, i´m also concerned but let´s wait, i know Sony won´t risk to fail again, besides if Sony fails to deliver they won´t have the oportunity to just reboot again because it´s on the MCU and their THIRD attemp, as i said before these movies are so tightly controlled by producers that if they don´t like something they can change director or do rewrites to make their money well invested, now that Feige is one of the main players here i think he´ll try to make it fit in the MCU

Who even knows if he be director for sequel. We could easily end up with someone else. Look how it's gone in mcu films.

good chance they share same destiny.

Yeah, good chance.

Like, as much as we **** on Sony, directors are just puppets in a LOT of instances, ESPECIALLY Marvel. Marvel Studios and Kevin Feige are the real directors of these movies. Only thing that makes that work is that they actually know the characters.

Doesn't mean they don't listen to their directors. I mean, they clearly pay attention to them--enough so that the Russo Brothers are their new Josh Whedon.

I can only hope that Watts is the right choice, but, honestly, I'm not worried. Marvel wants this to work so bad. In the hands of ANY other studio, I'd have pronounced this movie dead and buried MONTHS ago. A third reboot in 15 years? Not to mention his track record the last few years. Yeesh. But it's Spidey.

Ya as bad as deal is spidey in. It's great that marvel is now leading the charge then sony. As they had there heads up there Butta with lack of faith and vision.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohkeelay
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"