Justice League: War (2014). Thoughts?

Milk Tray Guy

70s Man of Action
Reaction score
It really hurt to see what a mess they managed to make of the live-action Justice League. On the other hand I enjoyed the animated Justice League: War. JL is obviously inspired by Geoff Johns' Justice League: Origin whereas JLW is a direct adaptation (although it does substitute Captain Marvel Shazam for Aquaman and we get Green Lantern). JLW isn't top tier - it's basically one long battle scene - but I've watched it a few times and I'll watch it again. Something I can't say about JL :csad:

How does anybody else who's seen JLW feel?

It's ok but still very weak. Especially compared to the other JL films we got before it. It's all action but no subtance.

It's ok but still very weak. Especially compared to the other JL films we got before it. It's all action but no subtance.

I pretty much agree. I did enjoy some of the banter. I've seen it said that the makers seemed to be going for that live-action Avengers-style 'quippiness' - and of course it shared the 'alien invasion' plot (handily already present in the source material).

How does anybody else who's seen JLW feel?
This was the turning point.
People were genuinely taken aback by how all the characters were written and how funny an animated DC movie especially starring the Justice League could be. The in-jokes and references were on point.
They weren't bordering on parody, they were parodies.
The pacing was great by getting right into the action and having the characters progressively join the conflict. The pair-ups specifically between Batman & GL made for great buddy comedy. Cyborg's origin was well realized. For an Aquaman replacement, Shazam was integrated flawlessly. The budding romance was laughably groan-worthy.

My only major gripe was that The Flash felt like an add-on.

I felt like this was the beginning of the end fot DCDTV as far as quality. After this the movies were really hit a miss along with animation taking a MAJOR dive.

This was the turning point.
People were genuinely taken aback by how all the characters were written and how funny an animated DC movie especially starring the Justice League could be. The in-jokes and references were on point.
They weren't bordering on parody, they were parodies.
The pacing was great by getting right into the action and having the characters progressively join the conflict. The pair-ups specifically between Batman & GL made for great buddy comedy. Cyborg's origin was well realized. For an Aquaman replacement, Shazam was integrated flawlessly. The budding romance was laughably groan-worthy.

My only major gripe was that The Flash felt like an add-on.

"You're strong..."

"I know."

And their eyes met... :funny:

I felt like this was the beginning of the end fot DCDTV as far as quality. After this the movies were really hit a miss along with animation taking a MAJOR dive.

I know what you mean about hit and miss. Since the animated movies rebooted into their own 'New 52' I'v steered clear of the Batman solo stuff. I did enjoy Teen Titans: The Judas Contract though, far more than I expected to tbh.

Given the source material was tiresome and written as if it were drafted by a 13 year old on endless M&M's, it's no surprise to find the animated film is the same and the WW 'ice cream' bit is just :facepalm:

4/10 at best, thankfully, the adapted Aquaman origin story was much better (as is the written version in comparison to War) as the follow up.

I know what you mean about hit and miss. Since the animated movies rebooted into their own 'New 52' I'v steered clear of the Batman solo stuff. I did enjoy Teen Titans: The Judas Contract though, far more than I expected to tbh.

I just wonder why they haven't Rebirthed the DTVs yet.

Given the source material was tiresome and written as if it were drafted by a 13 year old on endless M&M's, it's no surprise to find the animated film is the same and the WW 'ice cream' bit is just :facepalm:

4/10 at best, thankfully, the adapted Aquaman origin story was much better (as is the written version in comparison to War) as the follow up.

Justice League: Origin isn't one of my favourite stories by any means and I'm not generally a huge fan of Geoff Johns. I like his plots and storylines but his dialogue makes me cringe sometimes. The only thing of his that I've read so far that I think he got absolutely right is Throne of Atlantis which is one of my very favourites. It all just seems to come together there.

I just wonder why they haven't Rebirthed the DTVs yet.

That's a thought.

Not very good. It's not bad by any means, but like the live action film, it suffers from being based on weak source material (Geoff Johns' New 52 origin). And having Darkseid beaten as the League's very first threat just undermines him in an unforgivable way.

That said, I did like the casting for Shazam and Cyborg.

Honestly, I think it would have been a decent inspiration for a Justice League film that started the DCEU. Darkseid wasn’t defeated. He was barely repelled. You could have shown how strong he was and how it took every single member of the JL to just barely push him back through the portal, setting him up for a return later on.

I can understand the written version, but the animated sequel was not nearly as engaging. Half the movie is wasted on barely knowing what to do with the JL.

I can understand the written version, but the animated sequel was not nearly as engaging. Half the movie is wasted on barely knowing what to do with the JL.

Oh don't get me wrong, I'm not saying the animated Throne of Atlantis is a masterpiece, it's far from it, it's just better than War.

Oh don't get me wrong, I'm not saying the animated Throne of Atlantis is a masterpiece, it's far from it, it's just better than War.

I meant that in comparison to War. Even with the same writer, ToA certainly wasn't directed by the same guy.

Despite all of its flaws, it still the best adaptation of the Justice League so far. Outside of Aquaman's absence and the New 52 Supes-Wondy relationship (for classic purists), there isn't much to point to as definitively wrong in JL:War. Unfortunately, many casual fans probably view it as strictly for kids like the JL 'toon and Super Friends, so it hasn't gotten the exposure that the DC animated movies should have.

Despite all of its flaws, it still the best adaptation of the Justice League so far. Outside of Aquaman's absence and the New 52 Supes-Wondy relationship (for classic purists), there isn't much to point to as definitively wrong in JL:War. Unfortunately, many casual fans probably view it as strictly for kids like the JL 'toon and Super Friends, so it hasn't gotten the exposure that the DC animated movies should have.

I never had a problem with the Superman/Wonder Woman thing but I know some did.

I rewatched the animated Wonder Woman movie yesterday. Interesting to see just how differently Diana was portrayed - still naive to a lot of things in her first days in the world of man but not coming across as 'dumbed down' as I've seen people say she was in JLW. Or to put it another way, there were no "Ice cream is wonderful!" moments :funny:

Mark me down as a 'purist' in terms of WW & Superman being 'together', all kinds of wrong in my book. Hate it, despise the concept, Lois & Clark are definitive & lifelong as far as I am concerned. Appreciate I'm a born romantic and hold v old fashioned values when it comes to relationships and how people treat each other but it's L&C for me.

Justice League: War is just too simplistic. It feels like a flood of action without enough substance. I like the anime style, I like the character designs - Wonder Woman especially - but it really needed more character interaction, more plot, more depth. It could have easily traded two or three battle scenes to give the characters some depth.

The series did improve though, I think they learned that JL: War was too unbalanced. Throne of Atlantis, Justice League Dark and Justice League vs Teen Titans have much better story lines and characterisation.

Justice League: War is just too simplistic. I like the anime style, I like the character designs - Wonder Woman especially - but it really needed more character interaction, more plot, more depth.

Yes, I like battle scenes as much as anyone but they felt a bit monotonous in this after a while.

Mark me down as a 'purist' in terms of WW & Superman being 'together', all kinds of wrong in my book. Hate it, despise the concept, Lois & Clark are definitive & lifelong as far as I am concerned. Appreciate I'm a born romantic and hold v old fashioned values when it comes to relationships and how people treat each other but it's L&C for me.

I agree. Superman being with Lois anchors him to humanity, it shows his love of humanity. Superman being with Wonder Woman removes them both a bit from humanity, it puts them above us.

I think pretty much all DC animation isn't very good. I'd rather read a good comic without mediocre voice acting or a bland art style with no detail.

At least this one had great action.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"