Live Action Pokémon Series | Netflix

Pennywise

Avenger
Reaction score
Pokemon Live-Action Series in Early Development at Netflix (EXCLUSIVE) - Variety

A new Pokemon series is in early development at Netflix, Variety has learned exclusively from sources.

As the project is still in its early days, no details are available about the plot. However, sources say that Joe Henderson is attached to write and executive produce. Henderson currently serves as co-showrunner and executive producer on the popular Netflix series “Lucifer,” which is preparing to air its sixth and final season at the streamer.

Sources also say that the project would be a live-action series akin to the “Detective Pikachu” film starring Ryan Reynolds and Justice Smith that was released in 2019.

Reps for Netflix and Henderson did not immediately respond to Variety‘s request for comment.

If they give us a live action version of the storylines from the games where one season is Red/Blue, the next is Gold/Silver etc, I would lose my sh**.

Hopefully they take the same approach Detective Pikachu took when it comes to bring pokemons to life.

Don't be affraid of making them as faithful as possible.

I'm all for this, but I'm also sceptical. In order for this to work out and be successful, a few elements need to be taken into consideration;
  • Original characters
  • Original storyline
    • Maybe following the old handheld games characters to some degree on their various quests.
  • Disassociate from Detective Pikachu
  • Disassociate from Mega Evolutions
  • Disassociate from Dynamax forms
  • Quality over quantity
    • 10-12episodes per season

Ash, Pikachu, Misty and Brock is what people want to see. It's the obvious answer, that will bring by far the most eyes. Any other way is less desirable and will see the most successful live action attempt eluded until they do the obvious.

Last edited:
Cool! I didn’t mind detective pikachu at all so a tv series that’s similar would be very fun

If WB is involved in this, they could save on the budget by reusing a lot of the CGI models from Detective Pikachu.

I just want to see all 151 Generation One Pokémon in live action.

As someone who didn't like Detective Pikachu, a series featuring Ash Ketchum would be more eXciting.

Gotta catch 'em all!

Hell yeah to this because my nastolgia for Pokémon is still high and I enjoyed Detective Pikachu enough to want to see more of this world in the live action.

I just hope Netflix can put enough money into this to actually make the Pokemon look as good as they did in DP and I don't see any reason why Ash, Misty and Brock wouldn't be in it either.

Those three are the most iconic characters in the franchise.

Hope they put a lot money into the budget.

Also worried it won’t be up to par with Detective Pickachu.

Hope they put a lot money into the budget.

Also worried it won’t be up to par with Detective Pickachu.

I think we can probably expect to see a lot smaller pokemon and leave the bigger ones for finales.

I really like the way they looked in Detective Pikachu, though pikas hair didn’t seem textured right, so hopefully the live action designs are done well here.

This is not difficult. You just follow Ash.
Ash, Pikachu, Misty and Brock is what people want to see. It's the obvious answer, that will bring by far the most eyes. Any other way is less desirable and will see the most successful live action attempt eluded until they do the obvious.
Is it though? I would wager a good number of people - especially those like myself who grew up with the games over the anime series would rather follow the characters or Red or Blue or whatever.

We've had the anime, we've had Ash, and we've had enough 'Pikas' to last a lifetime. Lets try something new.

I hope we see Ash in this...
Oh I wouldn't be opposed to seeing him, nor would I be opposed to seeing other established characters. I just wouldn't care to watch a live action show that follows him.

I wouldn't be surprised if they kept it simpler and stuck with just the first generation Pokemon for at least the first season.
Maybe they can follow the theme of the games? Each new Season gives access to a new generation of Pokemon, so naturally, season one would take place in Kanto with the original 151. Potentially, each season could be a different character in a different stage of their journey too. There's so much potential with this - if done right, and not rushed.

There's no point just recycling the story of Ash Ketchum in live action.

If they give us a live action version of the storylines from the games where one season is Red/Blue, the next is Gold/Silver etc, I would lose my sh**.

They need 3 episodes alone for the introduction and develope the butterfly drama. My guess the season final would end with Major Bob maximum. Its a netflix live action show beyond 2018, more then 10 episodes would shock me.

Netflix Developing Live-Action Pokémon Film To Tie Into Upcoming Series: Exclusive - The Illuminerdi

The Illuminerdi can exclusively reveal that Netflix is developing a new live-action Pokémon movie that will tie into Netflix’s developing live-action Pokémon series. According to our sources this will not be a continuation of Detective Pikachu, but instead a reboot. With a new live-action series and now film on the horizon it looks like Netflix has some serious plans for this popular global franchise especially when one takes into account the already existing Pokémon content on the streaming platform.

I forgot this was a thing. :funny:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"