‘Resident Evil’ | Netflix Series

James.B

In search of the absurd
Reaction score
‘Resident Evil’ TV Series In Works At Netflix

Resident Evil is headed to television. I have learned that Netflix is developing a scripted series based on the hit action horror franchise. I hear the series will be a Netflix global original. German production and distribution company Constantin Film, which is behind the Resident Evil movies loosely based on the Capcom video game series, is the studio. Search is underway for a showrunner to shepherd the adaptation.

No one is commenting but I hear the plan is for the series to expand the Resident Evil universe and deepen the exiting mythology. I hear the series will keep the basic premise, which also served as a setup for the movie franchise. The drama series will explore the dark inner workings of the Umbrella Corporation and the new world order caused by the outbreak of the T-virus. While the project is in early stages, the series is expected to incorporate all of Resident Evil’s signature elements, including action sequences and “easter eggs.”

I liked the Resident Evil movies up to a point. The last few weren't very good and the last one was just down right terrible.

A Netflix series based on it though could be really good.

Yes, I'm not saying they're actually good! :funny: And the last one was pretty poor.

At first when I read the Deadline article, I thought they were saying it was a spinoff of the movies, but I guess maybe it's its own thing? I'd be more interested in a self-contained series with the game characters.

Eh. Why does Netflix get everything? this better be not cheap looking and dragging as their Marvel tv shows.

Was just thinking how excellent Alexandra Daddario would be as Jill Valentine and may do an illustration comp of her in the role. I'd love a redo of Resident Evil, because I can't stand those Paul W Anderson movies.

Nothing sounds interesting about this show. Also, it's the same studio behind the film series.

Even in the games, I never really liked the Umbrella stuff. To me it made the game feel like a cheesy B-movie, so I don't think it's a good idea to make the corporation the main focus. Actually, the worst game in the series already did that.... Just give me Chris/Jill/Leon/ or Claire (with no superpowers!) fighting zombies and I'm good

I wouldn't mind something like an Outbreak themed show. Whether it is the Outbreak cast or completely new characters, give me a group of civilians trying to escape the horrors of Raccoon City. I would brand it as Outbreak and it could tie into most of the games in some way...

If I had my way, one season is a group of survivors banding together to escape Raccoon City. They could run into Jill on the run from Nemesis, find themselves at the Police Department as Mr. X stalks Claire/Leon, etc. There's enough where it could be adjacent to the first three games.

Another season could head to Rockfort Island and detail what happened before Claire's capture and arrival from the point of view of the prisoners, including Steve Burnside and his father, from Code Veronica. An RE4 inspired season focused on villagers noticing strange goings-on after the arrival of the Los Illuminados cult? An RE5 season from the point of view of tourists visiting Kijuju as the area falls into madness. RE6 still gives me a headache so I'll skip that and go straight into RE7 and a season detailing the various victims of the Bakers prior to Ethan's arrival to Dulvey.

For me, leave the main storylines for movies, and flesh out some of the more vague things, or things mentioned in lore items/files and stuff, for a show.

If done right....it could be as big as TWD (or how it big it used to be).

Just hope they get the right writers in.

So long as the series doesn't turn out like TWD then it should be fine.

It is featuring Wesker's daughters... I'm assuming for lead roles, eh.

I hope this show is good but it doesn’t sound very promising. Sounds like it’s gonna be more of a movie spinoff than closer to the games.

Is it so damn hard to get a legit RE adaption? The first game itself has everything to make for an excellent first season

And why introduce new characters no one cares for instead of established characters like Jill, Chris, Claire, Leon, etc.?

I dislike the movies immensely (except maybe the first), but this plot doesn't sound that interesting. Hopefully more balance between horror and action than just action as in the films.

I wish we had that George Romero Resident Evil movie when he was attached in the late 90s.

I'm not going to say a hard no to it, but what I'd be most interested in from a Resident Evil show would be an adaptation of Claire Redfield, and that's certainly up in the air.

Someone on Twitter suggested that they were doing a Stranger Things, and if so it would have been weirder to make the game characters the teens. So if that's true they might also do characters we recognize. But I would really just rather they stick closer to the material.

Man....the TV show Van Helsing did this with a Wesker knock off with two daughters who took over the show and it sucked so bad. What an awful concept to see repeated with Resident Evil.

I know RE is hardly a ready made adaptation as is, but this just screams laziness and box ticking. There are better ideas that can be found born from the series.

I'm not a gamer, but the RE series (or at least the first three more horror inspired games and their remakes) has always intrigued me. Over the years, I've watched a fair few walkthroughs and even read the S.D. Perry books. I'm disappointed to learn the series won't be a straight up adaptation of the games. But what can ya do. :shrug:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"