Live-Action Static Shock movie?

DarkSuperman

Sidekick
Reaction score
[YT]xx7lf4BebjE[/YT]

What do you guys think about a Live Action Static shock movie?

I've recently been catching up on my Static (via youtube, best invention ever!) and it made me remember why static was such a cool character. His powers are awesome (electromagnetism), he's an ordinary guy with problems (like spider-man), and his villains are pretty awesome.

This in turn made me think about how cool a live action static movie would be. There's a serious lack of cool black superheroes being represented in Cinema these days and I think static has all the makings of being the next blade, so to speak. We live in the golden age of Superhero Movies and with the recent success of Iron Man producers are always looking for the next big thing, no matter how obscure. (The Spirit, The Phantom, Runaways, Supermax, whatever) Lately seems like everybody is getting a movie except the black heroes. We need to fix that.

So, what do you guys think about a Static movie? :huh:

Static.jpg

Who would go see it, though? Static Shock is nobody's favourite superhero.

Who would go see it, though? Static Shock is nobody's favourite superhero.

Who's favorite was Blade until Wesley Snipes got all fanged up in the movies? A good movie is a good movie, no matter the character. If you make it good they will come. :hehe:

Who's favorite was Blade until Wesley Snipes got all fanged up in the movies? A good movie is a good movie, no matter the character. If you make it good they will come. :hehe:

Except that Blade was never a Superhero movie. Not in the traditional sense. Their were other reasons why Blade was a success, not least of which was that it presented something that was new to audiences at the time... People forget that the first movie really came outta nowhere, whereas if a Static Shock movie was gonna go ahead it'd feel very much like "just another superhero movie" and about a hero nobody could care less about, to boot.

I'll probably be fileted and beaten to a pulp with Mario Van Peebles dvd releases for saying this, but ...

not only do I think it would be cool to see a Static Shock movie - - but this may also be a franchise waiting for Jayden Smith (like him or not his name IS starting to percolate) to fall in.

You may proceed to pummell me with copies of "Rappin" and "The Gunmen" now :cwink:.

He may be only ten right now, but by the time this movie ever happened, he'd be perfect for it, so I'm with you :up: For the record I'd LOVE a Static movie.

What does the recognition of the character have to do with whether it would be a good idea to make a movie?

Nobody ever heard of Hancock or The Incredibles or The Crow or Ghost Rider before their respective movies. Heck, considering Static had his own cartoon, he's probably ahead of many in terms of recognition. You'd think that there's never been a hit based on a concept that everyone wasn't familiar with previously. That's what marketing is for.

I don't think it would necessarily be a priority, but with the right lead and right script, it's certainly something to consider. Of course, that's true for many properties.

Except that Blade was never a Superhero movie. Not in the traditional sense. Their were other reasons why Blade was a success, not least of which was that it presented something that was new to audiences at the time... People forget that the first movie really came outta nowhere, whereas if a Static Shock movie was gonna go ahead it'd feel very much like "just another superhero movie" and about a hero nobody could care less about, to boot.

"Nobody could care less about?" Are you sure you're not just projecting your own feelings on the entire movie going audience? I suppose you think that everyone in the world reads Iron Man and Hulk comics? Believe it or not there is a very large percentage of people who go to see superhero movies with no prior knowledge of the aforementioned hero.

But I digress, a good movie is a good movie. There are tons of dramatic cop movies out there and they've been making those for decades. Why shouldn't Superheroes get the same run?

Static was designed as contemporary version of Spider-Man.

What does the recognition of the character have to do with whether it would be a good idea to make a movie?

Nobody ever heard of Hancock or The Incredibles or The Crow or Ghost Rider before their respective movies. Heck, considering Static had his own cartoon, he's probably ahead of many in terms of recognition. You'd think that there's never been a hit based on a concept that everyone wasn't familiar with previously. That's what marketing is for.

I don't think it would necessarily be a priority, but with the right lead and right script, it's certainly something to consider. Of course, that's true for many properties.

Thank you very much. As long as there is a good script, actor, and director there's no reason why Static couldn't have an incredible movie. Not a lot of people knew about hellboy prior to his movies, but he's done pretty well. Also, you're right about the popularity of his cartoon. It was one the highest rated during its run.

He may be only ten right now, but by the time this movie ever happened, he'd be perfect for it, so I'm with you For the record I'd LOVE a Static movie.

Hancock's son as Static? He's got the hair and he's a pretty charismatic little dude. I could definitely see him as Static, once he got older that is.

Last edited:
JADEN SMITH AS STATIC SHOCK!!! F**K YEAH!!!

Will Smith: Now that's what I'm talkin 'bout!

I wouldnt be incredibly excited over a Static Shock movie, but I could be fun.

Static WAS a comic before the cartoon right? Was the cartoon close to the comic?

Last edited:
I remember there was a comic, they also had an Iron Man type character and a Superman character called Icon (right?)
how is the comic compared? Would they more likely go with the comic or cartoon (if they are different.)

And I watched Fresh Prince the other day and Will had framed pics of those characters (I think including the comic Static) in his room. So I bet Will Smith might like his son to play Static.

They'd go with the cartoon, it's the more known entity. the comic is cool, but quite different.

They'd go with the cartoon, it's the more known entity. the comic is cool, but quite different.

yeah, I agree, especially since the Static is now part of mainstream DC he wears his cartoon uniform (his best costume) so it makes sense that Static has been tweaked since his original debut and is now more closely related to his animated counterpart.

Did his issue in Teen Titans come out yet?

Did his issue in Teen Titans come out yet?

hes in terror titans and he was in only one page, the picture above^^^^

He'll be in the next issue of Terror Titans, and seems to appear on the MArch solicit of Teen Titans

I think a static movie would be awsome and I would love to see it if they ever made one. Static was one of the coolest superheros ever and he was really funny too.

Has for the recoigition thing. Um I Know noncomic book people who have heard of static and know who static is, Yet they have never heard of The Martian Man Hunter, Hawkman or even Green Lantern. so I think it would have a good audiance.

hes in terror titans and he was in only one page, the picture above^^^^

He'll be in the next issue of Terror Titans, and seems to appear on the MArch solicit of Teen Titans

Thanks. was wondering when his issue would come out, with him fighting Ravager on the cover.

I think a static movie would be awsome and I would love to see it if they ever made one. Static was one of the coolest superheros ever and he was really funny too.

Has for the recoigition thing. Um I Know noncomic book people who have heard of static and know who static is, Yet they have never heard of The Martian Man Hunter, Hawkman or even Green Lantern. so I think it would have a good audiance.

Exactly, that's why I think he's a good candidate for a live action movie. He's young hip, cool, and funny. A different kind of superhero than has been seen lately. He's very hip and pop culture. I think audiences would enjoy surfing the skies with him.

Jaden Smith would be perfect for Static in a couple more years. I used to love the cartoon, and it's one of the few such shows I actually miss.

Jaden's interview on Ellen (reminds me of his dad):

Exactly, that's why I think he's a good candidate for a live action movie. He's young hip, cool, and funny. A different kind of superhero than has been seen lately. He's very hip and pop culture. I think audiences would enjoy surfing the skies with him.

I think you just wrote the tagline :hehe:

Rather than wait for Smith's son to come of age. I say go with Nick Cannon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"