MAGAZINE Articles DISCUSSION

You might want to pick up the article. He talks about how they're trying a lot of dynamic camera work with this one and he talks about how they had a track set up that could move the camera at 25 mph, and because they were doing a lot of movement they had to try to shoot a lot of scenes with one camera. It was pretty interesting, but like I say - sort of dry.

Since the first trailer, I've felt impressed by the cinematography of the wedding scene. It has rich colors without being harsh. There's really a beautiful look to the whole wedding.

Definitely....

Heeee what happened to the original title of the thread?:o
There's a really cool article in the latest American Cinematographer.

It's a little technical and dry in some ways, but it gives a much different perspective on some of the things they were doing to get the look of the film right from the cinematographer's point of view.

med.jpg
Thanks Willie.:yay: This should be an interesting read.

SCI FI NEW Magazine (Brazil)

topcapa02grandecg2.gif

Article on Fantastic Four 2

Source:http://www.scifinews.com.br/

GEMPAK Magazine (Malaysia)

d6c41baq3.jpg

Cover Story : Fantastic 4 Rise of the Silver Surfer – Jessica Alba, Chris Evans, Michael Chiklis

ELLE Magazine (UK) - July, 2007

coverit1.jpg

Back this month as Susan Storm in Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer, JESSICA ALBA talks to ELLE's Sarra Manning about life in the fame fast lane.
Source Links: 1 2 3

BOSTON COMMON Magazine (USA) - Summer, 2007

bostoncommonrs9.jpg

coverggec2.gif
covergg2ut0.gif

Actors Michael Chiklis and Julianne Nicholson are fiercely proud of their Massachusetts roots, even as they beat back the gangs of Los Angeles and fight crime in New York—and that’s all in a day’s work.

With longstanding Screen Actors Guild cards to prove it, this dynamic duo have managed to build résumés full of gutsy performances in both TV and film. Ironically, they both play tough-as-nails police detectives: Chiklis is a showstopper as the often-ruthless LA detective Vic Mackey on FX’s The Shield, and Nicholson intrigues audiences as Detective Megan Wheeler on NBC’s Law & Order: Criminal Intent.

As for films, this summer Chiklis returns as the Thing in the sure-hit sequel Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer, and Nicholson plays the female lead in the indie film Brief Interviews with Hideous Men, currently in postproduction, which was adapted for the screen and directed by rising star John Krasinski of The Office.

Boston Common asked Chiklis and Nicholson whether there is a common thread that has led them from Boston to blockbuster.

BOSTON COMMON: Michael, you were born in Lowell, and Julianne, in Medford. People don’t usually associate these towns with stars.
MICHAEL CHIKLIS: Actually, Lowell has quite a track record for greats: Bette Davis was born in Lowell, the same with Jack Kerouac. Ed McMahon grew up in Lowell.

BC: Julianne, any Medford greats our readers should know about?
JULIANNE NICHOLSON: One interesting thing—Eric Bogosian, who plays Captain Danny Ross on Law & Order: CI, grew up in Woburn, and his dad lives in Medford. I grew up in Medford and my dad lives in Woburn—we both think that’s pretty funny.

BC: You both have a strong presence on The Shield and Law & Order: Criminal Intent. Do the roles of Detectives Mackey and Wheeler fit your respective personalities?
MC: Talk about being divorced from your character. I have nothing to do with Vic Mackey whatsoever. I mean, I first learned about this show while I was attending a Gymboree class with my wife and little one! I’ve always thought of Mackey as a transplant, as East Coast. He’s in LA because he fell in love with a girl, ended up transferring, gets his gold shield and figures he can make a difference in the gang unit. I guess his being from the East Coast is the only similarity to me or my past.
JN: When I was first offered the part of Wheeler, I felt like saying, “Wait, detective, right?” For me to play a New York City detective was the furthest thing I could imagine. Wheeler is tough but still sensitive to the human experience. She’s also early enough in her career where she’s still affected by things. It’s very important for her to be in control.

BC: Your shows can be brutal. Does the subject matter affect you personally?
MC: I was taught early, well before I got on The Shield, that the responsibility of an actor is to the playwright and to the director. You’re supposed to make yourself like a conduit—an open vessel—but when the play is over or you hear “cut,” that’s it.
JN: I can go to dark places, but that doesn’t mean I have to go home and ignore my husband after a day on CI. When I was younger and in acting class, I thought you had to suffer the experience or whatever the character is going through. Maybe it’s the age thing, but I don’t think like that anymore.

BC: Michael, you are starring again as the Thing in this summer’s highly anticipated sequel Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer.
MC: Coming June 15—everywhere!

BC: What was it like to get back into that infamous suit again—doesn’t it weigh 60 pounds?
MC: I had a series of conversations with the powers that be at Fox before going anywhere near that suit again, which went like this: “This suit’s unhealthy—we gotta work on it.” And they did. I’m happy to report it was a night-and-day experience.

BC: So you didn’t have to live in it, like you did with the first film?
MC: No—I didn’t have to sit around in it for hours. In movies like that, a setup can take up to five hours before they do another shot. The first suit was just miserable, but they could pull this second one off me in five minutes. I had to wear the face, which was a drag, but it was OK. The second face took an hour and a half to put on. The first one took three hours—I had to go to the set and be in the chair at 2:30 A.M. for a 6 A.M. call.

BC: Julianne, any horror tales to report about filming your most recent project, Brief Interviews with Hideous Men?
JN: Nothing like that. It was a great experience working with John [Krasinski]—he was terrific. John’s doing really well right now with The Office and deserves every bit of recognition. He adapted the David Foster Wallace book into a screenplay and also directed it. It’s about a woman, Sara, my part, who copes with a breakup by interviewing different men.

BC: You both have well-established careers with a balance of TV and film work. What are the pros and cons of each?
MC: With television, there’s a consistency and availability to your family, particularly your children, that’s wonderful. The downside: 14 to 16 hours a day. With film, you might have the luxury of time, but there’s a lot of hanging around. For example, I’ll go from The Shield, where we’ll do anywhere from nine to 12 pages a day, to Fantastic Four, where we’ll spend two days on an eighth of a page… it can be a bit like gum surgery, especially when you’re wearing 60 pounds of latex.
JN: I like knowing where I’m going to be for a long stretch of time, which TV roles can provide. But I’m unwilling to compromise quality for stability. All the shows I’ve done—ER, Law & Order, Ally McBeal—have been great. With most of my independent films, Tully, Passion of Mind, One True Thing, Flannel Pajamas, and Two Weeks with Sally Field, I’ve done the shoot in 30 days and then moved on. The pros to doing film work are that you get to explore different characters and meet different people.

BC: Michael, in 2006 you were named one of People’s sexiest men in the “Bald and Beautiful” category. Anything you want to say about your signature crown?
MC: What do I say about my head? Look, I’ve been lucky, but it was traumatic as a 20-year-old actor to start losing my hair, although it didn’t affect my work. Now I’m at a place where I really love being bald. The other thing: My wife loves the way I look.
JN: Just so you know, that’s not too hard for her.
MC: Thank you! You sit around watching TV and so many commercials make it sound like going bald is the worst thing that can happen to a man. Well, I’m here to tell you it’s not—a lot of women think it’s sexy, so let it shine, guys. You wanna hear an irony? My father owns a hair salon.

BC: Julianne, you’re managing to score winning roles with short hair—no easy feat in long-hair-obsessed Hollywood. Were you hesitant to shed your locks?
JN: No, I couldn’t wait to cut my hair. I’ve had short hair on and off my entire life. I did a movie called The Love Letter with Tom Selleck and Kate Capshaw, filmed in Rockport, Massachusetts. I had to shave my head for the role and keep it like that for two months.

BC: Did you get a different reaction from people when you went to that extreme?
JN: Yes, from men and women alike. I remember going to lunch with my grandfather at the Yacht Club in Danvers while I was filming, and he felt compelled to tell the waitress that it was for a film role—part of it was because he was proud of me, of course, but he also didn’t want the waitress getting any ideas as to why his granddaughter had this whiffle cut.

BC: Ah-ha! The accent—you let it slip when you said “Danvers.”
JN: I love the Boston accent. If I talk about my family or places, it definitely comes out. I’m proud of it, and it makes me crazy when I hear people do it badly.
MC: Yeah—it was so nice to see The Departed with a couple of Boston guys lettin’ it fly… Marky Mark was lettin’ it fly—wicked.

BC: What path did you take before you had your first big break?
MC: My path has been very strange. I was a theater rat when I was in Boston. I graduated from Boston University’s College of Fine Arts and then went to New York. When I got there, I thought, OK, I’ll get a small part in something and build on that. But I got the lead in the first movie I auditioned for, Wired, a very controversial major picture where I played John Belushi, when I was 23 years old.
JN: My career started when I gave up modeling (and waitressing!) after living in New York for several years. I said to myself, I’m going to do this for five years. No matter what—no matter if I don’t get a single job or a single audition—five years, nothing less! So I started taking acting classes, which led to my first feature film role in Curtain Call, starring Michael Caine and James Spader.

BC: What does acting provide for you?
MC: I always wanted to entertain people—to make them think and feel. When I was a kid, whenever I went to a play or movie or any kind of theater, it evoked joy and conversation. There’s something about being a communicator, even if the subject matter is sad.
JN: When I was younger, I remember being moved by film, TV, and plays. That really appealed to me—to be part of something that people could recognize or see a part of their own life in or feel challenged by. It’s pretty exciting to be a part of something so powerful.

BC: Final question. It’s summer and you’ve both lived away from Boston for a long time. Do you still wave the Red Sox banner?
MC: I’m a very personable guy. I use the word “hate” in regard to one thing: the Yankees. I have the seething, white-hot ire of a thousand suns when it comes to the Yankees. I hate them. I hate the Yankees!
JN: Yes, of course, the Sox. I would have said it anyway, but after witnessing Michael’s “Vic Mackey” performance just then, there’s no way I would say Yankees. Plus, I would never be allowed home if I went over to the dark side.

The complete article appears on page 114 in the Summer 2007 issue of Boston Common. SUBSCRIBE NOW and get Hamptons delivered directly to your door every week.
Source:http://www.bostoncommon-magazine.com/cover.php

NOTE: More pics of Chiklis at the link provided

FIRST Asia's Premier Movie Magazine (Singapore) - June, 2007

c96e1bfc8.jpg

84795944uf1.jpg
66883700ye4.jpg

94483955bf5.jpg
35958701vp1.jpg

Fantastic Four
We met up with the Fantastic Four in Sydney, and they promised a bigger, better and more exhilarating ride. The cast of Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer lend their star power to the opening of new bar, Will and Toby's, in Sydney, Australia last month.

Jessica Alba
Jessica Alba tries her utmost to look grown-up in this dominatrix-inspired garb. We still see her as the sexy girl-next door.

Chris Evans
The hot property in Hollywood is totally unlike his onscreen persona. In person, he's just a sweet, modest, down-to-earth guy.

Exclusive 24" by 16" Poster of Fantastic Four
Source Links: 1 2

OK! Magazine (Malaysia) - June, 2007

jossstone01lu9.jpg

jossstone08sh7.jpg

jossstone09bi1.jpg

jossstone10kv7.jpg

Ioan Gruffudd - 6 page article His Role in Fantastic Four

Source Link

EMPIRE MAGAZINE (Australia Edition) - July, 2007

emp0707nz5.jpg

emp0707janx3.jpg

JESSICA ALBA in 4 page "The Visible Woman - Jessica Alba is too sexy for her own comfort. Time, she reckons, to make it clear she's far, far more than a pretty face..." story with 4 photos, 1 is full page, JESSICA also features in 6 page "The New Wave - as the Human Torch himself says in the trailer Aw, that is cool! So does the Rise of the Silver Surfer mean the Fantastic Four can escape the ranchise blues?" story with 6 photos
Source Link

CINEMANIA Magazine (Mexico) - June, 2007

Choose Shrek 3 or one of the 4 Rise of the Silver Surfer covers. Magazine includes articles on the both movies.
Check them out here:http://www.cinemania.com.mx/home.php

SFX Magazine (UK) - Issue #158 July, 2007 (ON sale June 6)

158covfq2.jpg

FANTASTIC FOUR
We’ve got a visual feast for you this month with an exclusive cover painstakingly designed by Weta! We’ve got the latest news from director Tim Story, about how cast and crew aim to keep the fans happy with this sequel. Plus we chat with the stars about what’s in store for the Four, from the debut of the Fantasticar to that pesky Silver Surfer. Flame on indeed!
Source:http://www.sfx.co.uk/page/sfx?entry=latest_issue

I wasn't sure where to put this, its not from a magazine, just an article in the Los Angeles Times. However, I think its very interesting and it definitely goes a long way towards explaining the PG rating:

Riding the wave of success

The Fantastic Four return for a sequel with the Silver Surfer on board

BY TOM ROSTON
Los Angeles Times

June 10, 2007

VANCOUVER, Canada

There he was, seemingly just another perpetual adolescent, gleefully flipping through the pages of a comic book at Comics Ink in Culver City, Calif. But director Tim Story was doing more than merely getting his comic book jones on; he was on a market-research expedition in July 2005, one that would help lay the foundation for Friday's 20th Century Fox summer tent-pole movie, "Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer."

"Somebody came in [the store] and started talking: 'So what did you think about "Fantastic Four"?'," recalls Story on a rainy November morning here, as he munches on snow peas and rolls of sliced turkey between takes on the set of "Silver Surfer." Speaking with Zen-like calm, Story doesn't throw his weight around like the man in charge on this massive production that takes up three football fields' worth of hangars. So it's also easy to see how Story could go unnoticed at that comic book store as the customers began chatting about his "The Fantastic Four."

"One guy goes, 'Oh, it was terrible,' and starts going off on that theme. And the guy behind the counter was like, 'Well, I don't think so.' And before you knew it, four other guys joined in, and I sat there in one of the aisles and was able to hear what they thought the weaknesses and strengths of it were."

That was just two weeks after the release of Story's unlikely 2005 box-office hit, which opened with a $56-million domestic weekend and topped out at $329 million worldwide. A new franchise was born. Yet because the movie was almost universally panned by critics (one referred to it as a "mild summertime diversion") and a good share of comic book fans, Story is that unusual species of director delivering a sequel to his success in an almost defensive crouch.

"I'll be the first to say that before I was able to get enough of the audience response, I was pretty down on myself about what it was," Story says of the first movie. "I didn't have a chance to do all the things that I wanted to do with it. And later on, I had to realize that the audiences had a fun time."

In Story's research, which included setting up a MySpace page to invite discussion about the first film, the director learned two major things he would need for the next movie.

"I want to be sure that in this one, we have enough action for the fanboys," he says. "And most importantly, I want Doom to really be the badass and the cool villain that I think he can be."

On the 49th day of a 75-day shoot, Story sits behind a monitor, watching Julian McMahon as villainous Dr. Victor Von Doom zap a military commander with electric bolts. The effects will be computer-generated later, so for now, the actor gives a Bob Fosse-like hand gesture before letting out a dramatic exhale, displaying awe at his own powers. When the shot is over, a ripple of laughter emits from Story and the crew. McMahon deadpans: "Are you laughing because it's good?"

Story, still laughing, tells him no. McMahon theatrically raises his chin in indignation as he walks off set. A bigger laugh from the crew echoes off the far walls of the vast hangar.

Playing to a younger crowd

To find the right tone for "Silver Surfer," Story says he is tapping into why the first "Fantastic Four" was so successful. He had originally thought that movie was for comic-book crazed teenagers and 20-somethings.

"The film actually played younger than we thought. We found that 8-year-olds and 9-year-olds and even 6-year-olds were able to go watch this movie and have a ball," he says. "And because it's younger, we also found that we also got people on the other side of the 25 range because they have to take their kids."

That's how it played out even with some of his cast. Says Michael Chiklis, who plays Ben Grimm/The Thing and has two young daughters, "When we go to the movies, the kids win. And this was great because 'Fantastic Four' was a movie that I could bring my kids to but I wouldn't be sitting there in a coma going, 'Oh, my God, I can't wait for this to be over.' I could go for the ride and be a kid and enjoy it with them."

With that type of audience in mind, Story will again rely on the teasing banter among the superheroes that kids find so funny but will adjust his approach to McMahon's villain.

"Because of what happened with the last movie - the younger-audience skew - I've been asked to temper things just a little bit more toward a more childish audience," says McMahon, with what seems like a permanently arched eyebrow. "They wanted me to tone it down a little bit so it didn't look quite as brutal."

This might seem to be at cross-purposes with Story's desire to amp up Doom's villain quotient, but reached by phone two weeks before the movie's release, the director says, "It was a matter of we could have gone two ways with Doom. Either he comes back like a total monster, raging, or he's more of a scarred, articulate and plotting antagonist. We went with the latter. But, still, I wouldn't say he's less brutal."

Story also is pulling out some new ammunition: a bigger budget (about $30 million more than the original, which reportedly cost $100 million); grander scope (the movie goes from New York to Washington, D.C., to London to Shanghai and onto the North Pole); more action sequences; a cool gadget (in this case, the Fantasticar); and a gem in Marvel's coffers - the Silver Surfer himself.

"I don't think I could have gone where I did with this movie without the Silver Surfer," Story says. "The character brings us a lot of edge. And he's the conduit that bridges the generations because, at the end of the day, he's just cool."

Center of attention

The character, as originally scripted by Stan Lee and illustrated by Jack Kirby in 1966, is the herald of a planet-devouring creature called Galactus. Riding a surfboard, with awesome powers of destruction and an inclination to philosophize, the Silver Surfer has all the nasty qualities in an antagonist that Story required. Rendered by special-effects house Weta, the company that made Gollum for "The Lord of the Rings," the Silver Surfer is being positioned front and center in the poster campaign and trailer.

"He will be the star on this movie," says Ioan Gruffudd, who plays Reed Richards/Mr. Fantastic. "I think we have to relinquish that role right now." The comic title has always had something of a goofy reputation, thanks largely to the ribbing Johnny Storm/The Human Torch and Ben Grimm/The Thing subject each other to, and to Mr. Fantastic's oddball power to stretch his body.

No one ever said summer blockbusters were meant to be pillars of artistic integrity, but "Fantastic Four" had a whole summer's worth of schlock in its 106 minutes.

It was clearly a distant cousin of "X-Men," Fox and Marvel's wildly successful franchise, which has its comedic beats but is ultimately grounded in the grim reality of mutant life.

"The 'X-Men' movies are the nighttime movies and the 'The Fantastic Four' are daytime movies," says Ralph Winter, producer of the three "X-Men" films, as well as the "Fantastic Four" franchise. "The 'X-Men' characters look better at night, and there are darker themes. the characters are naturally more out in the public, more out in sunshine and daylight."

Some say they got too much sun. "I've met a handful of hard-core, diehard fans who are a little bit critical of it because it was so light-hearted," says Gruffudd, adding that the response has been "more positive than negative."

Story says he is doing his best to respond to the perceived needs of the audience, but he's not letting himself be pushed around. "I made myself more accessible," he says of listening to the criticism. "But not too accessible because you still got to do your thing." And he is not going to make excuses for the tone of the first movie.

"What's cool about the Fantastic Four comic books is that they were always fun," he says. "The studio and I always saw it the same way, that this was a humorous, more relatable, lighter version of the comic book movies that are out there."
http://www.newsday.com/entertainmen...0,7093040.story?coll=ny-moviereview-headlines

Thanks for the article Onlooker:yay:

STARBURST Magazine (UK) - Issue #351

351coverii6.jpg

Fantastic Four 2
• We're backstage and talking to the cast and crew of the forthcoming summer Sci-Fi movie sequel, as the Fantastic Four take on the Rise of the Silver Surfer

GALAXIE Magazine (Malaysia) - June, 2007

6a451ak8.jpg

Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer

Marvel's First Family of Superheroes. The Fantastic Four, meet their greatest challenge yet as the enigmatic, intergalactic herald.

STARLOG Magazine (USA) - Issue #357

1814largeal6.jpg

THE SILVER SURFER SOARS
Here’s how he came down to Earth
SEQUEL MARVELS
Don Payne writes the FF’s new adventure
THIS FANTASTIC FIVE
It’s the Four vs. Doctor Doom in epic chit-chat
Source Links: 1 2 3

STUFF Magazine - July, 2007 (#92)

coverprintpagebt8.jpg

Beau Garrett

You better watch out, Human Torch! Beau Garrett just might be replacing you as the hottest hero in Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer
Source Link

YOU Magazine (UK) - June, 2007

da5f1ud8.jpg

JESSICA ALBA
A real-life superheroine

She may be only 26 but Jessica Alba has had her sights set on Hollywood success for well over a decade. The actress, who’s about to make her second outing in the Fantastic Four, tells us how her unglitzy upbringing and ‘outsider’ status gives her the determination to succeed

4 PAGE FEATURE/PHOTOS
Including 2 full page photos of Jessica

FAMOUS Magazine (Canada) - June, 2007

a9e41jp9.jpg

IOAN GRUFFUDD on Fantastic Four : Rise of Silver Surfer

UNLIMITED Magazine (UK) - June, 2007

09791im3.jpg

SUNDAY NOW Magazine (UK) - June, 2007

nowfantastic4sz0.jpg

Chris Evans, Michel Chiklis, Ioan Gruffuss and Jessica Alba are on the cover of Sunday Now dated June 2007. Inside are more pjotos of the stars plus a feature on Fantastc Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer.

Source Links: 1 2 3 4

Wow, great work THANK YOU Retro.....................

You're welcome!:)

Oh btw that's not Beau Garrett on the cover of Stuff magazine.:cwink:

Me neither.:woot:

FILM TV Magazine (Italy) - Issue #23/2007

b6c81rj8.jpg

"FANTASTIC FOUR: RISE OF THE SILVER SURFER" (four pages special with many pics from the movie)

JETIX Magazine - Issue 37

7887ob5.jpg

Issue 37 is loaded with Fantastic Four fun and loads of awesome freebies!

BEST MOVIE Magazine (Italy) - June, 2007

cover1km0.gif

Feature on FF2

DISNEY ADVENTURES Magazine - June/July, 2007

ultimatepiratesyy1.jpg

Take a peek at what we’ve uncovered about Ratatouille, the Fantastic Four sequel and more!

CLIMAX Cinéma magazine (France) - Issue #1

m9365iq2.jpg

Article on FF2 plus free posters

Le film français Magazine (France) - June 15, 2007 Issue 3212

m1708qx6.jpg

SOURCE LINKS: 1 2 3 4 5 6

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members