Marvel's NEW upcoming slate (Release date changes thread)

Jordacar

The Endless One
Reaction score
http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118001130.html?categoryid=13&cs=1

Marvel sets date for 'Spider-Man 4'

'Avengers,' 'Thor' pushed back on slate

By PAMELA MCCLINTOCK

Sony and Marvel Entertainment will open “Spider-Man 4” on May 6, 2011.

Opening date was announced as Marvel made a number of adjustments to its release calendar.

“The Avengers” is being pushed back from July 15, 2011 to May 4, 2012.

In a build-up to “Avengers,” Marvel is moving back the release of “The First Avenger: Captain America” from May 6, 2011 to July 22, 2011.

“Thor” is likewise moving, from July 16, 2010 to June 17, 2011.

“Iron Man 2’s” release date of May 7, 2010 remains unchanged.

I got a better idea, why not leave THOR where it was, push CAP to the AVENGERS spot to free up May 6 for SPIDEY 4, and then push AVENGERS back to CHRISTMAS 2011.

Anyway, discuss.

THOR is obviously moving because they need more time. And a year in the gym will produce a much more impressive Thor than three months.

Still, it should be coming out Memorial Day weekend 2011. That would be a much better date

Very interesting. Maybe a lot of the whiners demanding release date changes will shut up now.

Most release dates are usually subject to change anyway depending on things.

Christmas release? Well let's see how Green Lantern will perform there provided it comes out X-mas 2010.

The only problem I really see is packing Cap and Thor so close together. Just five weeks apart. I mean ideally you would want July 4th for Cap, or Memorial Day even, but then its too close to Spider-man 4 I guess.

It's embarrassing that Marvel has been forced to move Captain America because of Sony's Spider-Man 4. Marvel should have put their foot down and made Sony change the date instead.

I'd rather see Captain America sooner than Spider-Man 4.

It's embarrassing that Marvel has been forced to move Captain America because of Sony's Spider-Man 4. Marvel should have put their foot down and made Sony change the date instead.

It's only "embarrassing" if you don't realize that Marvel gets a small piece of the SM4 pie as well as a very large piece of the massive SM merchandising.

Well, I'm one of those hoping and expecting huge things from Thor so I can live with this rather then seeing it rushed. Guess I can't die till after 2012 now.

Fine by me. This means Thor comes out only a few weeks before my birthday.

Yeah I have a feeling Marvel was outmuscled by Sony for that date. Marvel wants their biggest film of the year released first week of May... apparently Cap could not hold it... I hate these dates for Thor/Cap... no excuse for Thor getting delayed. None whatsoever.

Bad plan....there squeezing 3 big superhero movies in the same summer.
I mean they would be in the middle of promoting SP4 when they have to promote Thor..the same thing with Captain America.

The should put SP4 in May
Thor in August
Captain America in Dec.

Also then the Captain America movie can be closer to The Avengers

Flesh em out a little

I'm glad they're taking the time on Thor. I'd rather wait twenty more years for an awesome Thor film, then settle for a mediocre one next summer.

Lately Marvel's news has been really exciting. All the actors being hired, now this. More time only goes to ensure quality on the finished product.

I think Marvel is smart in pushing these films back a year, because rushing them out half-baked will do more harms to their company in the long run, esp. since WB/DC is now coming out with more superhero movies and are challenging Marvel in the quality dept. However, I don't like how the release dates of Cap and Thor are so close; I hope Marvel will shuffle them again and not risk having Cap affecting Thor's BO.

Has Marvel gotten the rights for Daredevil back yet?

Has Marvel gotten the rights for Daredevil back yet?
If they do, I hope they go the live action tv route. DD would make a great opener for a Marvel TV slate.

Bad plan....there squeezing 3 big superhero movies in the same summer.
I mean they would be in the middle of promoting SP4 when they have to promote Thor..the same thing with Captain America.

The should put SP4 in May
Thor in August
Captain America in Dec.

Also then the Captain America movie can be closer to The Avengers

Flesh em out a little

Can't... Marvel has to release their films in the summer.

Can't... Marvel has to release their films in the summer.
Where's that writ? If that's part of Marvel's contract with universal, they should renegotiate to accomodate the continuing swarm of superhero movies.

Right now 2011 is not a problem... there is no DC film slated then. Marvel does not need to space out Cap. What this has proven is that Marvel does not need to release two films in every given year... meaning they can go to one film a given year if a summer starts getting too crowded... I don't like the 2011 slate as it is in all honesty... Thor is going to flop in that spot. But there is no way else to do it until they restructure.

They could still shift Thor and/or Cap around. This proves that the release dates are not set in stone.

I give Marvel a lot of credit for adjusting the dates and not trying to rush things if they didn't think they were ready.

Why I think this is good? This gives them more time to plan everything out and get all the deals and schedules for the actors and production crew aligned.

For 2010, they can focus everything on Iron Man 2 which is pretty much guaranteed money. I think one problem in 2008 was that TIH got a little short-changed in the marketing/promotion department. The stigma for Hulk 2003 was still felt, and I think there was still difficulty in how to approach that.

They could still shift Thor and/or Cap around. This proves that the release dates are not set in stone.

I give Marvel a lot of credit for adjusting the dates and not trying to rush things if they didn't think they were ready.

Why I think this is good? This gives them more time to plan everything out and get all the deals and schedules for the actors and production crew aligned.

For 2010, they can focus everything on Iron Man 2 which is pretty much guaranteed money. I think one problem in 2008 was that TIH got a little short-changed in the marketing/promotion department. The stigma for Hulk 2003 was still felt, and I think there was still difficulty in how to approach that.

IM2 was always guaranteed money. That's not the issue here. You kept telling me that "Marvel has to adhere to a strict schedule of two films a year"... I think this was a case of not only sitting on their asses... but getting out muscled by bigger franchises... ala Spidey and HP... you can't tell me Marvel did not want May 6th for one of those films.

IM2 was always guaranteed money. That's not the issue here. You kept telling me that "Marvel has to adhere to a strict schedule of two films a year"... I think this was a case of not only sitting on their asses... but getting out muscled by bigger franchises... ala Spidey and HP... you can't tell me Marvel did not want May 6th for one of those films.

:whatever:

I thought that was the case, but obviously things have changed.

If that was the case with Spider-man and Harry Potter, then they still wouldn't even consider releasing Captain America and Thor in summer of 2011 as well. But clearly since they have a stake in Spider-man they want there to be room for everyone.

I'm sure they wanted May for those movies, but this is a business. Some of it is political, business etc. This is the nature of the business. These things happened.

I fail to see how they are sitting on their asses because you are a negative nancy.

Also, Iron Man made more money in the US than any of the Harry Potter films have recently, so whatever. I hardly see the outmuscling argument there. Spider-man is still technically their franchise as well.

:whatever:

I thought that was the case, but obviously things have changed.

If that was the case with Spider-man and Harry Potter, then they still wouldn't even consider releasing Captain America and Thor in summer of 2011 as well. But clearly since they have a stake in Spider-man they want there to be room for everyone.

:huh:... so first the summer is large enough that we can accomodate all these heroes... to now Marvel wouldn't even bother releasing their movies if the competition was tight.... the contradictions are amusing.

I'm sure they wanted May for those movies, but this is a business. Some of it is political, business etc. This is the nature of the business. These things happened.

I fail to see how they are sitting on their asses because you are a negative nancy.

You were wrong about the tight schedule... they did not have to stick to it. I was saying all along that Marvel will be flexible with these release dates... you were adamant that they were going forward with it as soon as it was set in stone from day one. We have already had three changes to the slate.

Also, Iron Man made more money in the US than any of the Harry Potter films have recently, so whatever. I hardly see the outmuscling argument there. Spider-man is still technically their franchise as well.

:whatever:... the Iron Man argument in all your posts even when it doesn't even apply to what we are talking about. No HP or SM films lined up for summer 2010 last time I checked.

Last edited:
Now there's no excuse why these movies should not be great. I hope they take advantage of the wider amount of time.

What about Sam L. Jackson in Nick Fury: Agent of SHIELD?
When is that scheduled to be released?

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Holopaxume
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"