• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Action-Adventure Mission: Impossible - Dead Reckoning

Gotta say I'm surprised by the sheer amount of VFX given how McQuarrie and Cruise are always like "Everything is practical! We don't like CGI!".
I feel I bit cheated to be honest.

To be fair to the franchise, they have always hidden certain details through VFX. They ALWAYS hide Tom's safety harness's. he wore a harness when he climbed the,Burj Kalifa. Certainly, he wore one for the opening scene of, Rogue Nation And, the conclusion of the Paris motorcycle chase.
I am sure that there are numerous other examples..

To be fair to the franchise, they have always hidden certain details through VFX. They ALWAYS hide Tom's safety harness's. he wore a harness when he climbed the,Burj Kalifa. Certainly, he wore one for the opening scene of, Rogue Nation And, the conclusion of the Paris motorcycle chase.
I am sure that there are numerous other examples..
Yeah, hidding stuff like that is fine, but I'm seeing entire backgrounds being replaced. Like they use a small section of real footage and the rest is all CGI, you know, Marvel style.

I question the idea of making it a part one/part two deal in the first place. Even if they’re narratively closely related and were meant to be filmed together, I say give each of them as much of an identity as possible. Especially when the series has had so many subtitles to begin with.

I mean, it’s not like Infinity War and Endgame were Infinity War Part 1 and Infinity War Part 2.
If it was ten years ago I could maybe understand why they'd go that route since it was more common during that very specific period in time and audiences generally accepted it. But you're telling me that in the year 2022/2023, not one studio exec or someone involved in the production spoke up and said, "Hey, maybe we should just give them two separate titles" well before Part 1 came out?

I just hate it when they make these kinds of changes after a movie's been released. Still endlessly irked over the Edge of Tomorrow/Live. Die. Repeat. nonsense. I mean, are they really gonna edit the title card in the actual film now? So stupid. They had ages to change this title before release.
I don't really think that it even played a serious part in the film's low box office returns, but the studio seems convinced. Anything but admitting that they seriously screwed the film with its release date one week before Barbenheimer, I guess.

The main and more obvious reason for Dead Reckoning Part 1 underperforming was of course its unfortunate release date being a week before Barbenheimer. That said, I do think that there is something to be said about "Part 1" in a title being a bit of box office poison because once that's out in the open you're guaranteed to lose a chunk of the audience who are going to automatically check out and opt for waiting until Part 2 comes out in theaters and watch Part 1 at home right before for that instant gratification. Only Harry Potter and Twilight really could get away with that, and as popular as M:I may be, it's never been on that level as a franchise.

Yeah, Dune was smart about leaving Part One out of any marketing for the uninitiated. I think it’s only at the end of the film.
With Dune the Part One was right there in the title screen at the beginning. The first IT movie had "Chapter One" at the end, IIRC.

Warner Bros. was smart (!) with those, waiting until you already bought a ticket to let you know it's a part one.

The main and more obvious reason for Dead Reckoning Part 1 underperforming was of course its unfortunate release date being a week before Barbenheimer. That said, I do think that there is something to be said about "Part 1" in a title being a bit of box office poison because once that's out in the open you're guaranteed to lose a chunk of the audience who are going to automatically check out and opt for waiting until Part 2 comes out in theaters and watch Part 1 at home right before for that instant gratification. Only Harry Potter and Twilight really could get away with that, and as popular as M:I may be, it's never been on that level as a franchise.
Mockinjay Part 1 also did really well, better than the first Hunger Games which grossed 700 million. Part 2 losing some audience, was pretty much because it moved away from the games and there was a drop in quality in the last two films. Kill Bill also made similar numbers in both films, with the first one doing slightly better.

I keep reading about that argument by many people in here but haven't actually seen any examples. What movies did the "Part 1" subtitle really hurt in the box office? And more importantly how do we know that this is what made that franchise lose audience?

Mockinjay Part 1 also did really well, better than the first Hunger Games which grossed 700 million. Part 2 losing some audience, was pretty much because it moved away from the games and there was a drop in quality in the last two films. Kill Bill also made similar numbers in both films, with the first one doing slightly better.

I keep reading about that argument by many people in here but haven't actually seen any examples. What movies did the "Part 1" subtitle really hurt in the box office? And more importantly how do we know that this is what made that franchise lose audience?
It's really more following the pattern of what studios have been doing than anything. There's definitely a reason why slapping "Part 1" on movies has stopped almost entirely. The full title for It (2017) is technically It: Chapter One, same thing with Dune being Dune: Part One, but neither of those were marketed as such. Why else would they hide that in the marketing if they weren't afraid of it affecting the box office?

I would've also included Infinity War originally having a Part 1 in the title and Endgame originally being "Infinity War Part 2" before Marvel changed it but in that particular case they could have called those movies anything and they still would've made the same amount of money.

Either way, clearly the bigger issue with Dead Reckoning Part 1 was the release date but at this point they should have just went through with Part 2 being the title for the next movie. That genie's already out of the bottle and the next movie will be fine at the box office provided there isn't another release date fiasco.

It's really more following the pattern of what studios have been doing than anything. There's definitely a reason why slapping "Part 1" on movies has stopped almost entirely. The full title for It (2017) is technically It: Chapter One, same thing with Dune being Dune: Part One, but neither of those were marketed as such. Why else would they hide that in the marketing if they weren't afraid of it affecting the box office?

I would've also included Infinity War originally having a Part 1 in the title and Endgame originally being "Infinity War Part 2" before Marvel changed it but in that particular case they could have called those movies anything and they still would've made the same amount of money.

Either way, clearly the bigger issue with Dead Reckoning Part 1 was the release date but at this point they should have just went through with Part 2 being the title for the next movie. That genie's already out of the bottle and the next movie will be fine at the box office provided there isn't another release date fiasco.
Oh, I get that in some cases studios are afraid of this, which is abundantly clear in Dead Reckoning too, what I don't understand is where exactly they are basing that fear, because I can't think of any example where that holds any actual basis.

I would also argue that in the cases of It and Dune it was probably largely because they were untested properties, rather than a final part in an established movie franchise like Harry Potter, Hunger Games or Twilight.

But more importantly, have they really abandon this? Because lately I feel like I'm seeing this more than ever. In the span of one year we're having Rebel Moon - Part One: A Child of Fire (granted a streaming movie) The Strangers: Chapter 1 (reboot), Wicked: Part 1 and Horizon: An American Saga - Chapters 1&2 (new properties). Let's see if Fast 11 will have that, if Vin doesn't change his mind for a millionth time about how many more films they're having. :oldrazz:

Last edited:
Oh, I get that in some cases studios are afraid of this, which is abundantly clear in Dead Reckoning too, what I don't understand is where exactly they are basing that fear, because I can't think of any example where that holds any actual basis.

I would also argue that in the cases of It and Dune it was probably largely because they were untested property, rather than a final part in an established movie franchise like Harry Potter, Hunger Games or Twilight.

But more importantly, have they really abandon this? Because lately I feel like I'm seeing this more than ever. In the span of one year we're having Rebel Moon - Part One: A Child of Fire (granted a streaming movie) The Strangers: Chapter 1 (reboot), Wicked: Part 1 and Horizon: An American Saga - Chapters 1&2 (new properties). Let's see if Fast 11 will have that, if Vin doesn't change his mind for a millionth time about how many more films they're having. :oldrazz:
I think they actually listened to feedback for a change. I don't think audiences have ever really liked the concept of splitting one story into two (or three in the case of The Hobbit), but they tolerated it because of their love for the franchises. Even as well received as both parts of Deathly Hallows were, I still remember there was a fair bit of groaning when it was originally announced that the book would be split into two movies.

Another wakeup call could have been that third Divergent movie, Allegiant, although technically not having a "Part 1" in the title it was still meant to be split into two films like Deathly Hallows, Breaking Dawn and Mockingjay before it. Of course, that franchise was never as popular as the others and that strategy ended up backfiring when Allegiant underperformed and the fourth movie was flat out cancelled, which is something that I'm still fascinated by.

Don't even get me started on Rebel Moon, I have no idea why those were split into separate parts at all being on streaming but Netflix gonna Netflix and Snyder gonna Snyder. :o

Wicked I think has such a huge following already being one of the most popular Broadway shows of the past 20 years that it falls into a similar category as Harry Potter, Twilight and Hunger Games. It was unnecessary splitting it into two movies but they're still most likely going to be huge hits.

Finally saw it since it was added to Paramount Plus, there was so much awesome in this film I LOVED the chase between Ethan and Grace from the cops, good and bad guys, specially the bits when they were in the yellow car and how they accidentally swapped seats my reaction was the same as Graces "wait what?" :funny:

I would have thought the streaming version would not have the part 1 in the title screen but it did and when it ended it said end of part one.

I actually re-watched Dead Reckoning Part None again tonight and it held up pretty damn well. It's still too long and there is some quite obvious green screen in the final act. But it's still a damn good movie and puts most action movies to shame.

Grace and Paris were great additions and can't wait to see more of both.

Apparently the “Part 1” aspect of the title was more confusing than we all thought. My friend watched the movie on Paramount the other day and then was telling me not to spoil anything that happened in Part 2. I’m like, “Ummm… Part 2 hasn’t even been filmed yet.” LOL.

I didn't mind her being out of the M:I franchise if that is what they wanted, but the way in which they got rid of her. If that's indeed how it ends for her, McQ did a horrible job after such an spectacular introduction of a character in Rogue Nation.

Last edited:
Yeah I hated it too. To me it was jarring how they just replaced Ilsa with Grace in the new movie. I get it if McQuarrie didn't want an actual romance between Ilsa and Ethan but then I don't get why they built that up and hinted at it so heavily.

It just felt like they fridged Ilsa.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevezorz
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"