Monsters: The Lyle and Erik Menendez Story | Netflix/Ryan Murphy

Other than BTK, my pick would be EAR/ONS aka Golden State Killer. Although that would be much more challenging to make. He has never spoke about his crimes.

Other than BTK, my pick would be EAR/ONS aka Golden State Killer. Although that would be much more challenging to make. He has never spoke about his crimes.

I never heard of the Golden State Killer before this thread a few pages back, but that would be interesting to focus on in a future season.

Also, here’s a question: Do you think Netflix/Murphy will keep the focus solely on serial killers, or focus on other types of monsters such as cult leaders?

I never heard of the Golden State Killer before this thread a few pages back, but that would be interesting to focus on in a future season.
WOAH - watch the doc.

Michelle McNamara rules... still can't believe how intense her investigation got.

WOAH - watch the doc.

Michelle McNamara rules... still can't believe how intense her investigation got.

I will do so! :up:

Also don’t need another movie or show about Ted Bundy.

Gary Ridgeway (The Green River Killer), Richard Ramirez (The Night Staker) and Robert Hansen (The Butcher Baker).

Not something I specifically want to see but to get away a bit from the usual American urban settings, a series about Andrei Chikatilo in the Soviet Russia of the 70s and 80s could be interesting.
There would also be a very big challenge on the side of the realization, both to relate the case without falling into sensationalism and to keep the viewer at the side of such a disturbed person... That kind of goes with all these stories anyway but this one feels harder to adapt to me.

BTK and The Night Stalker. Those are my two picks.

Richard Ramirez certainly has a lot of potential for adaptation. The documentary on his case on Netflix was also very well done. I like the angle they took in following more the story of the investigators on his trail.
That said, based on the comments one can read here and there under videos about him on Youtube, it seems to me that there's an even stronger fetishization of this murderer than usual (which is terrible to say). Again, this kind of controversy is inevitable anyway, but I think it might be even bigger this time, as Ramirez is really perceived as a kind of Rock Star by what are literally groupies.
But is that a reason not to do it? If it's done well, I don't think so. Moreover, this aspect could be touched within the series.

Anyway, we'll see ! As a viewer, I just hope the quality is maintained as this is could become my true crime/thriller fix in the absence of Mindhunter...

Last edited:
I would have have been surprised if Monster had just been one and done when there are so many serial killers that have made an impact.

Chikatilo would make a good series. Ramirez, too. I think the real trouble is that there are a great many killers to choose from. Green River killer, Pig farmer guy in Canada, son of Sam...

Son of Sam could be a really good one as well. As much as I’d love to see Chikatilo, oof. That would be an incredibly hard watch. I know that much.

It deserves a good position. It was really well done. :)

Curious to see which other killers future seasons will focus on.

I imagine Gacy will be one considering he had a small part in one of the Dahmer episodes.

Gary would be fine by me. :)

Given that Murphy’s other anthology series haven’t always kept to the same formula season to season I honestly would be kinda surprised if this stays 100% to the true crime genre. Wouldn’t be surprised if we get a way different type of Monster in the next two seasons. I mean, look at American Crime Story. OJ, Versace, Bill Clinton. Just wouldn’t surprise me in the least now if we got something way different next time. Although, I’m kinda hoping we get another serial killer related season. Here’s hoping.

Given that Murphy’s other anthology series haven’t always kept to the same formula season to season I honestly would be kinda surprised if this stays 100% to the true crime genre. Wouldn’t be surprised if we get a way different type of Monster in the next two seasons. I mean, look at American Crime Story. OJ, Versace, Bill Clinton. Just wouldn’t surprise me in the least now if we got something way different next time. Although, I’m kinda hoping we get another serial killer related season. Here’s hoping.

That’s a pretty good point, also hoping we get focus on other killers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"