More Krazy Ken stuff about the Ps3 price.

Reaction score
I only created the thread cause I felt they insulted Nintendo with their smartass comment :mad: :down
-------

Sony Execs Try to Justify PS3 Price
By: César A. Berardini - "Cesar"
Jun. 8th, 2006 6:10 pm
Speaking to Japanese news site Impress PC Watch, Ken Kutaragi addressed the high price of the PlayStation 3 and explained the new business model Sony is establishing with its next-generation console.

“Our message with the PS3 is clear: Hardware is our business” explained Kutaragi, claiming that selling a game console at a loss to make a profit with game royalties is a product of “the Nintendo Era.”

“The business model changes with the PS3. The PlayStation has become a computer and since you cannot raise the price of the software, you have to make a profit with the hardware.”

The head of Sony Computer Entertainment said that Sony will make the PS3 “a common platform, on which top programmers can realize their full potential."

We can’t imagine how a $599 console will become common but Ken is not the only Sony executive who’s is trying to convince everyone that with the PlayStation 3, you are not acquiring a videogame console but a supercomputer.

The CEP of Sony Corp., Sir Howard Stringer appeared last week at The Wall Street Journal's "D: All Things Digital" conference to answer questions from Walt Mossberg.

Referring to the PlayStation 3, Stringer said that “it has more bells and whistles than a 747”. And then emphasized the capabilities of the Cell processor and explained the advantage Blu-ray Disc had over DVD and even HD-DVD when it comes to store high-definition movies.

"The reason it is expensive is that instead of us concentrating on making it playing games, something we have done in the past, the PS3 is designed to go somewhere else; the center of the living room."

Finally, Phil Harrison, the VP of Sony Computer Entertainment Europe, has also emphasized that the PlayStation 3 is more than a game console. Speaking to German newspaper Spiegel, Harrison said:

"We believe that the PS3 will be the place where our users play, watch films and browse the Web... The PlayStation 3 is a computer. We do not need the PC."

I wouldn’t go that far Phil, even if the PlayStation 3 comes loaded with Linux, we don’t think it will replace a personal computer anytime soon.

The message is clear. Sony knows the price for both models of the PlayStation 3 is high and what they are trying to do is justify the high price by convincing the consumers that you are getting a supercomputer.

The question is; do people need a supercomputer to play games and watch high-definition movies?

I'm fine with my DVD player, and I have a Computer. Suck it Ken. :rolleyes::down

How the hell is the PS3 a Super Computer when a Computer can still do a hell of alot more then the PS3 :confused:

**** YOU SONY

XwolverineX said:
I'm fine with my DVD player

I am as well. In fact my Stand Alone DVD Player plays stuff that the PS3 does not even play :rolleyes: oooooooooo the PS3 has Blu Ray ooooooooooo wheres my autograph book

If they're going that route, of the new system not focusing only on games, I don't think naming it Playstation again was the smartest move.

Dear Sony,

Nothing you say can convince us that your $600 price tag for the Playstation 3 is justifiable. No matter what you say (blu-ray DVD player, Cell, hard drive, supercomputer, etc), people are still going to b***h. Hell the only reason why your E3 sucked was because of the price. You have no choice but to lower it, unless you actually want your dominance in the console wars to actually be challenged.

Love,
Jesse White, the hippie_hunter

Krazy Ken said:
“Our message with the PS3 is clear: Hardware is our business” explained Kutaragi, claiming that selling a game console at a loss to make a profit with game royalties is a product of “the Nintendo Era.”
Erm, correct me if I'm wrong, but haven't the past few Nintendo consoles sold at a profit, or at least not at a loss? Hence, why so many gaming sites are making a big deal out of Nintendo finally possibly selling at a loss?

You know I liked Nintendo and Sony the same and never had a favorite. But after seeing the price of the PS3 and this remark I'm starting to lose interest in Sony. I was already planning on getting a Wii since its cheaper but this statement helps solidify it.

Gammy v.2 said:
I only created the thread cause I felt they insulted Nintendo with their smartass comment :mad: :down
-------

Sony Execs Try to Justify PS3 Price
By: César A. Berardini - "Cesar"
Jun. 8th, 2006 6:10 pm
Speaking to Japanese news site Impress PC Watch, Ken Kutaragi addressed the high price of the PlayStation 3 and explained the new business model Sony is establishing with its next-generation console.

“The business model changes with the PS3. The PlayStation has become a computer and since you cannot raise the price of the software, you have to make a profit with the hardware.”

The head of Sony Computer Entertainment said that Sony will make the PS3 “a common platform, on which top programmers can realize their full potential."

We can’t imagine how a $599 console will become common but Ken is not the only Sony executive who’s is trying to convince everyone that with the PlayStation 3, you are not acquiring a videogame console but a supercomputer.

The CEP of Sony Corp., Sir Howard Stringer appeared last week at The Wall Street Journal's "D: All Things Digital" conference to answer questions from Walt Mossberg.

Referring to the PlayStation 3, Stringer said that “it has more bells and whistles than a 747”. And then emphasized the capabilities of the Cell processor and explained the advantage Blu-ray Disc had over DVD and even HD-DVD when it comes to store high-definition movies.

"The reason it is expensive is that instead of us concentrating on making it playing games, something we have done in the past, the PS3 is designed to go somewhere else; the center of the living room."

Finally, Phil Harrison, the VP of Sony Computer Entertainment Europe, has also emphasized that the PlayStation 3 is more than a game console. Speaking to German newspaper Spiegel, Harrison said:

"We believe that the PS3 will be the place where our users play, watch films and browse the Web... The PlayStation 3 is a computer. We do not need the PC."

I wouldn’t go that far Phil, even if the PlayStation 3 comes loaded with Linux, we don’t think it will replace a personal computer anytime soon.

The message is clear. Sony knows the price for both models of the PlayStation 3 is high and what they are trying to do is justify the high price by convincing the consumers that you are getting a supercomputer.

The question is; do people need a supercomputer to play games and watch high-definition movies?

APPARENTLY WHEN 'SONY'S PR DIRECTOR QUIT RECENTLY, IT WAS BECAUSE SHE WAS SICK OF THEM DOING CRAP LIKE THIS. :down:o

Wow.

I don't understand why everyone is trying to make gaming consoles into something they're not primarily used for. I don't need a video camera on my phone, I don't need a tv built into my refridgerator, and I don't need my gaming console to search the web.

Stupid, stupid, stupid.

And if they're not that concerned about software sales, then I'm not that enthused about their ideas toward the kind of exclusives they're planning to put out there.

Don't look good.

While I agree with you, I like MP3's and Video's on my PSP, it's fun. But Web Broswing is stupid, I have a PC. :rolleyes:

No, I'm all for combining... if it makes sense. But sometimes it seems like it's done just to see how much can be crammed into one thing.

I just don't see the need to mix a gaming console with a PC.

Kipobe said:
No, I'm all for combining... if it makes sense. But sometimes it seems like it's done just to see how much can be crammed into one thing.

I just don't see the need to mix a gaming console with a PC.

It isn't, Sony is just spewing that PS3 is a PC **** to try to justify their over-priced system, which comes packed with a crappy launch.

XwolverineX said:
While I agree with you, I like MP3's and Video's on my PSP, it's fun. But Web Broswing is stupid, I have a PC. :rolleyes:

WELL, I DON'T HAVE A PROBLEM WITH ADDED FUNCTIONS, REALLY. I WANTED EITHER THE '360' OR THE 'PS3' TO ANNOUNCE PC-CENTRIC FUNTIONALITY, AND TIVO-LIKE CAPABILITIES. IT LOOKS LIKE THE 'PS3' HAS A BETTER SHOT AT BOTH OF THOSE. BUT, I DO HAVE A PROBLEM WITH THE SMUG ATTITUDE 'SONY' PROUDLY DISPLAYS (VIA 'KRAZY KEN'), AND THE FACT THAT THEY USE THE ADDED FUNCTIONALITY AS AN EXCUSE FOR THE RIDICULOUS PRICE. THEY SHOULD'VE BEEN WILLING TO TAKE A LOSS ON THEIR HARDWARE, LIKE EVERYONE ELSE, AND TAKE THEIR CHANCES AT MAKING IT UP ON SOFTWARE AND SERVICES. :down

XwolverineX said:
Are you going to get a PS3 thwippy?

IF IT DROPS TO $400 BY NEXT X-MAS.......AS I EXPECT IT WILL.......THEN YES, I WILL. I WAS READY TO BUY ONE AT LAUNCH, UNTIL 'E3'. AND 'SONY' HAS DONE NOTHING BUT MAKE THINGS WORSE FOR THEMSELVES SINCE THEN, IMO, BY CONTINUING TO ALLOW 'KRAZY KEN' TO TALK. :down

Haha, but you're obliged to get a Wii, you know that right?

XwolverineX said:
Haha, but you're obliged to get a Wii, you know that right?

SURE.......AS LONG AS 'GAMMY'S SENDING ME THE $$ FOR IT, I'M IN. :D:up:

I'm surprised no one's posted this yet...

Gammy v.2 said:

So basically there doing a high price and all this **** because there greedy mother ****ers, who want to make as much money as possible. This is fine, every company wants to make money, but to list that as a reason for a high price is incredibly stupid...

He didn't bring up the real killer app....4D gaming!

Movies205 said:
I'm surprised no one's posted this yet...

THWIP* said:
WELL, I DON'T HAVE A PROBLEM WITH ADDED FUNCTIONS, REALLY. I WANTED EITHER THE '360' OR THE 'PS3' TO ANNOUNCE PC-CENTRIC FUNTIONALITY, AND TIVO-LIKE CAPABILITIES. IT LOOKS LIKE THE 'PS3' HAS A BETTER SHOT AT BOTH OF THOSE. BUT, I DO HAVE A PROBLEM WITH THE SMUG ATTITUDE 'SONY' PROUDLY DISPLAYS (VIA 'KRAZY KEN'), AND THE FACT THAT THEY USE THE ADDED FUNCTIONALITY AS AN EXCUSE FOR THE RIDICULOUS PRICE. THEY SHOULD'VE BEEN WILLING TO TAKE A LOSS ON THEIR HARDWARE, LIKE EVERYONE ELSE, AND TAKE THEIR CHANCES AT MAKING IT UP ON SOFTWARE AND SERVICES. :down

I JUST DIDN'T BOTHER QUOTING THE ARTICLE, BUT THAT'S WHAT I WAS REFERRING TO. :confused::up:

THWIP* said:
I JUST DIDN'T BOTHER QUOTING THE ARTICLE, BUT THAT'S WHAT I WAS REFERRING TO. :confused::up:

Your capslock annoys me so I usually skim your posts :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"