Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. My problem with AOS

ZIPBAGS

Sidekick
Reaction score
I enjoy the show and love that all of the Marvel shows/movies are connected....yet that is where my problem comes in. Most bad guys on AOS are fine to deal with the the team. But, you have Ward(Hive) who is super powerful and capable of destroying the world. Yet, none of the Avengers are involved?!?

Yes, I know its a financial thing. But, it just ruins the whole one big connected world. Don't get me started on how their is no mention of the Netflix characters (Daredevil, Jessica Jones,etc) in either AOS or the movies.

I enjoy the show and love that all of the Marvel shows/movies are connected....yet that is where my problem comes in. Most bad guys on AOS are fine to deal with the the team. But, you have Ward(Hive) who is super powerful and capable of destroying the world. Yet, none of the Avengers are involved?!?

Yes, I know its a financial thing. But, it just ruins the whole one big connected world. Don't get me started on how their is no mention of the Netflix characters (Daredevil, Jessica Jones,etc) in either AOS or the movies.

It's not as though "Its all connected", as Jeph Loeb is fond of saying. More like "It's not contradictory".

I don't see the issue.

Even in the comics you have individual teams and heroes taking on world threats. Many heroes have the confidence they can handle the situation themselves and don't need to call the Avengers every five minutes.

Other heroes also have their own threats to face.

There really isn't anything to say Hive Ward is outside their capabilities just yet. I'm sure they will come up with some pesticide or use Lash to take Hive Ward down.

Technically, the Avengers don't even know that S.H.I.E.L.D. still exists, so it would be a little weird if a guy who is supposed to be dead and buried suddenly calls them and says that some prehistoric parasite wants to take ower the world.

Though it would be nice if May or someone else says that maybe they should call the Avengers and Coulson says the Avengers are busy with their own problems (like the Sokovia Accords).

Coulson should at least call Maria Hill or Nick Fury since those two know that he's alive.

Well AoS looks like it going to be more Focused on the Inhumans and Kree than Avengers and their present issues.
Besides, Civil War is mostly a CAPTAIN America story not the Avengers. Focus PAST Civil War and a Large two part Avenger film.
I'm sure there was a mention of events in Hell's Kitchen a couple episodes ago tho

Coulson should at least call Maria Hill or Nick Fury since those two know that he's alive.
lol Yeah at least Phil and Nick have something in Common, to most of the public they're both dead lol

I must have missed that. Does anyone know what was said?

Thanks!
Think it was with Phil and something on the tv news in the bar? I'd have to back and watch the show but I'm sure it had to do with the Biker war part of DD

That's always my issue too. I know realistically why they don't cross paths, but something as powerful as Hive probably shouldn't be handled by some rookie Inhumans and should probably be crushed to death by Hulk. :funny:

okay Out until later, going to watch lastnight's show, hopefully without the crap news break ins

I must have missed that. Does anyone know what was said?

Thanks!

CewvfbrWEAA2HVE.jpg

i feel like its not connected...Phil was the connection to the Avengers...well Maria Hill also...but someone as powerful as Hive...at least try n call the Avengers..and say welp..we tried..and cant reach them...gotta do it ourselves....im okay with that

They are still working out what they are dealing with. They only found out Ward/Hive was back a couple episodes ago and only just found out he can control Inhumans in this episode.

They are still working out what they are dealing with. They only found out Ward/Hive was back a couple episodes ago and only just found out he can control Inhumans in this episode.

You know it won't matter...I guess the only thing they could say is with Civil War...they are all busy.

Pokkle...Thanks!

Could the Avengers do something here? Probably, but I don't think they'd be more useful. Hive doesn't have superstrength or any powers that members of the team can't counter. The problem are questions of intel and assets, things that SHIELD handles very well. If anything, Hive is exactly the kind of problem SHIELD is designed for.

Plus, I'd point out when Nick Fury took on Hive in the comics, he didn't call in the Avengers either. He used the Secret Warriors and the Howling Commandos. Why is it good for the comic but not the show?

Though, now that Hive has taken one of their own (and someone Coulson looked at as a surrogate "daughter" of sorts), you'd think Phil would have Fury or Hill on speed-dial by now.

I have my problems with the show but this isn't one of them. I can accept these different shows all taking place in their own corner of the sandbox.

You need to think of it just like in the comics. There's always a lot going on in every marvel title, but they all handle it differently, separately. Cross overs are fun as events, not every issue occurrences.

This is ridiculous. Once people realize that live-action isn't like comics where you cand raw every character you want into any comic you want you might stop having those discussions.

If they could afford Evans or renner in the show they could have brought them. If they could afford the millions of CGI required to create the Hulk in live-action realistically and not make him look like A Warcraft cutscene they would have done it.

Suspension of disbelief people. You are way too focused on the connection arc insead of enjoying the show as an entity.

^ Hell, people seem to want more crossovers than the comics (a medium of near unlimited resources) have done.

Though, now that Hive has taken one of their own (and someone Coulson looked at as a surrogate "daughter" of sorts), you'd think Phil would have Fury or Hill on speed-dial by now.

What could they do that isn't being done?

I posted this in another thread, but it's relevent.

I'm slowly getting disinfrancised to #It'sallconnected for several things.

The amount of interconnectivity is fine. Maybe a teeny bit more....

A) Avengers tower...oh boy, this is a big one. It occupys the same space as the Metlife building which is seen prevalant throughout the Netflix series. This causes a problem in connectivity and continuity. It does cost a little more to add it in, but they don't have to show that part of NY at all. Almost every scene we actually the Metlife building are in shots that are either not needed, or could have been changed slightly to avoid that small section of the skyline. Not showing that building at all would go a long way to preserving continuity, and it's completly free to do. This is the biggest error by far, and if it got fixed for Blu ray releases or at least future Netflix releases, everything else would be so, so fine...

2) So of the connections that do exist, many don't make sense. Like the end of Agents of SHIELD/Age of Ultron connection. Coulson sends the location of the scepter to Hill to give to the Avengers and she asks if Theta protocol is ready (Helicarrier). He says yes and it's time to bring in the Avengers. There's several problems here. Coulson isn't bringing in the Avengers, well I guess he is, on the war on Hydra...that's kinda true, but it sounds like he intends to literally bring them into what he's been doing personally. The Helicarrier is repaired and it seems Hill and the Avengers need it. Why? At that point they were going in to attack Strucker and Sokovia happens at least a week later, which is when it's actually needed. And they clearly didn't get it/need it for the Hydra base. AND, what the hell are Coulson and co doing between that moment and when Fury shows up needing the Helicarrier? The plot does move forward in the slightest and like I said, it's at least a week. So they've kinda just paused for no real reason. The connection of Coulson giving the Avengers the location and pretty much kickstarting the entire movie is actually ****ing awesome, but there just doesn't seem to be much thought put into it.

C) Timeline needs to be fixed. For example there's several inconsistancies between when exactly the Netflix series happen and they are all pretty self contained within one or two months but several times characters say things that just don't fit, or dates don't match etc. I can give examples, I've already typed them out somewhere else. And look at Agents of SHIELD. Because they have direct lead ins or repercussions from the movies, it means they happen at the same time. Yet the timeline for the show is that a season generally happens over the length of a year. But the show doesn't have huge time jumps or gaps, and the storylines are generally linier and compact, with several episodes/missions/plot developments taking place in maybe less than a week? For example. In season 2, Skye went through Terrigenesis up until this it's been maybe 2 weeks of storytelling. This is before the winter break. Then in March 2015 we pick up directly afterwards and things continue within a short time frame before hitting AoU, which happens in May. So does all of season 2 happen in 2015? Or are there really hidden time jumps we don't see where the team does nothing at all. As well as that, there's no christmas...if AoS seasons are set at the final quarter of the year and go directly into the second quarter, why is there no mention of christmas? I'm not asking for holiday specials, but it's a huge holiday and time to be with family etc, so do they just work through it because they are agents or do they go and spend christmas with family?

D) More easter eggs or references that make sense. For example by the time Daredevil S2 starts, there's no mention of the more public events of Jessica Jones like Kilgrave mind controlling people and getting them to kill or kill themselves and the chaos he causes. This happens within Hell's Kitchen not far away from Daredevil and co, you'd think that'd get a passing mention, or a news article SOMEWHERE. As well as that, there's surprisingly been no mention or background easter egg of other major events beyond the Battle of NY. The destruction of SHIELD was a pretty big headline, and Sokovia was huge major world disaster. The "Cybertek settles" and "Harlem terror" are great, but these events are pretty big and should have been on the wall in the Newspaper office, or at the very least amongst the huge amount of newspapers we see. Are they needed? No, but really, it's the little things.

5) Crossovers between Netflix and Agents of SHIELD? I'd love, but can take or leave. SHIELD at least should have a mention of things happening in NY, especially about Kilgrave. Kilgrave was a massive thing in the news and while for most of the series Kilgrave was a mystery to the public, the rumours and amount of people claiming to have been mind controlled would have caught SHIELDs attention and at least looked into it. Daredevil himself? Not so much. Jessica herself? Maybe...but Kilgrave would have been something they'd want to investigate. All the other connections between the two shows, like cybertek, creel, dogs of hell are awesome and done perfectly.
Between movies and shows, the only connections that should be there (so far) are in Civil War, with even just one line about "people with powers popping up everyday" or "vilgantes taking the law into their own hands" should be mentioned. Even if the Accords are just focused on the Avengers, they'd want to clamp down on powered people ASAP, it would be the next logical step. And that prison in the trailers can't just be for the Avengers.

6) The news of someone being in Luke Cage and CW. Okay, there have been people playing different characters within the same roles. But you'd think an actress this recognisable (personally I haven't a clue who she is, but everyone else is saying it) would turn heads. I mean she filmed her role for CW first. Then the guys at Luke Cage cast her...did she not mention CW? Did the writers/creators etc not think to contact MS and see if they could make it the same character or maybe a few rewrites, or even make (potential civil war spoiler)
A line about how her son was killed in Sokovia. Maybe that's why she becomes more ruthless and corrupt?

. It's nothing too hard, I mean I seriously doubt it's that hard to allude to or write in one line like that...did they not get in touch with Marvel or did they just not really care?

VII) It could, theoretically get much worse. The biggest red flag, to me, is New York (Manhatten). As of now, we have Avengers Tower (except not, Netflix), Daredevil, Jessica J, Luke Cage, Iron Fist, Punisher (well maybe not, he travels around a lot), Spider-Man and Doctor Strange living in that city. Cloak and Dagger, as well as possible future characters like Moon Knight and the F4 (when the rights return) also live there as well. The city is crowded with heroes, and the chances of them appearing to help each other, outside of team ups, is very small. And yet, in reality, they would meet up and help each other, become friends etc. They'd be more aware of the things happening and speak about them more. See what I'm getting at? I really loved it at the start of the MCU they made Tony actually live in Malibu, Hank Pym and Scott Lang are in San Francisco, Cap lived in Washington while working with SHIELD. Obviously for most of the characters I listed, NY is a huge deal for the characters origins and personal ties, so I don't expect them to change the setting, but in regards to crossovers and internal reasons why they aren't happening, I see it getting pretty murky/ridculous.

My dream job would actually be something like continuity director (if Time Lord is well and truly out of the question) for Marvel Studios. I'd go back and forth between movies/shows and actually fit them into proper dates (without changing the actual storys), deciding where and when to use specific easter eggs/references (like "does this reference actually line up with when/where it's being referenced?" "This character should probably bring up this event to prove their point."). Best part is they wouldn't even have to pay me, I'd live in my office and my salery can go into the budget of the Netflix series to put F***IN AVENGERS TOWER IN THE SKYLINE!!!

I posted this in another thread, but it's relevent.

I'm slowly getting disinfrancised to #It'sallconnected for several things.

The amount of interconnectivity is fine. Maybe a teeny bit more....

A) Avengers tower...oh boy, this is a big one. It occupys the same space as the Metlife building which is seen prevalant throughout the Netflix series.

It wasn't in the Doctor Strange's trailer either:
vSDNq34.png

And anyways, they put the Avengers Tower in the promo picture of DD:
avengers-tower-daredevil.jpg
They spoke about the Stark tower in a newspaper in DD:
4rab2LG.png

No need to lose budget for an easter eggs.

they aren't going to call the Avengers and if you are letting that bother you.... you are just not allowing yourself to enjoy a very good show. I can't even see how it's an issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"