Namor or Silver Surfer, who should have their own franchise

Tg11

Superhero
Reaction score
If anything out of these 2 heroes right here who do you think deserves their own movie franchise and why? The choices here being Namor the Sub-Mariner or Silver Surfer?

Are we talking standalone franchise, or part of one of the established universes?

SS for the former, and Namor for the latter.

SS would work better if he had to be on his own simply because he's got an entire universe (and alternate dimensions) to explore. Even in spite of how many characters and planets would be off-limits, the writers could get very creative with his adventures by virtue of the fact that his domain is so expansive. Namor would be a good integration due to how his concerns for his people would tie into and/or clash with the issues that other heroes (be it Avengers, FF, or X-Men) have to deal with.

I think that Namor emerging from the ocean with an army of pissed off Atlanteans in the wake of Infinity War's devastation could potentially make for a decent segue into Phase 4. Seems like we'll never get to see him though, as the powers that be at all of the major studios haven't expressed interest in the character.

I couldn't see either really holding their own except as part of an existing setup.

prince namor the sub-mariner

I like the Silver Surfer a lot. But my preference is to have him appear with the Fantastic Four first. I know very little about Namor and would like to see more. Given this, I vote for Namor.

Namor hands down but he will probably show up in a Marvel movie as a cameo most likely before he ever gets his own franchise

Would love Surfer to have his own franchise. But it would be very difficult to do. He would need a lot of internal monologue and I'm not sure if it would work on the big screen.

His origin story they could do quite easily though as a lot would be based on Zen La or Earth and in between he would learn about Galactus.

I guess you could do a story with him that had little dialogue and make it a visual spectacle. Could be a new way to go for the genre.

Last edited:
Anyone who wants a Surfer movie should watch his 90's cartoon. It would give a good idea what it'd be like.

Silver Surfer. He has enough material to give him a series of movies. Namor really doesn't; he'd work best as a supporting character in other movies, with other characters to bounce his arrogant anti-heroism off of.

Outer space has never done it for me, from Star Wars in 1977 to GotG last year. If the SS is stuck on Earth as he was after Galactus trapped him here when he rebelled then that could be interesting. But even then I'd have to go with Namor. It would be something else to see that world brought to the big screen.

Anyone who wants a Surfer movie should watch his 90's cartoon. It would give a good idea what it'd be like.

They should bring it back. Finish up the cliffhanger, have him defeat Thanos, and then do a second season leading up to Mephisto as the big bad.

That's what I was talking about. In the cartoon he has a lot of inner monologue. It works for a cartoon, not sure how it would do on film.

That's what I was talking about. In the cartoon he has a lot of inner monologue. It works for a cartoon, not sure how it would do on film.

In the cartoon he's a space hippie with an occasional fight. Spending 90% of the movie moping about, looking at stars and talking to himself wouldn't be a great movie.

Namor the Sub-Mariner but as for who could play Namor? Well there's Eric Bana, Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson, Jonathan Rhys Meyers, Zachary Quinto among others

which i thought was boring - the big thing about a Silver Surfer film is they cannot waste a lot of time with nobility dialogue which will kill the mode and mood of Silver Surfer.
Whoever does it has to have a great feel for both keeping a brilliant pace, action sequences and CGI while showing the courageous hero .
Some of his cartoons and even comics were snore-fest because they spent to much time investing in how noble and loving.

show his powers - make the crowd in completely awed with his power cosmic - and not just the surf-boarding and projection of laser, show the ability to manipluate matter - pebbles into giant boulders, fire into ice, force-shields, create wind-storms, balls of fire, sea-suckholes, healing of human bodies, etc.

Why do I have to choose?

Both as long as they're part of the MCU.

Surfer fits perfectly with what's going on with the cosmic MCU right now. They could really do some interesting things with him. I don't have to have Namor right now but as long as he shows up in phase 4 or 5 I will be more than happy to see him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"