• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Umbrella Academy Netflix Orders 'Umbrella Academy' Adaptation

Vanya is already bisexual and wears unisex clothes, so unless Page doesn’t want his character to be referred to as “she” there really won’t be much change.

There is no benefit for Netflix to recast, for many reasons.

Forgive my ignorance, I am really lost when it comes to this stuff having never experienced it.

But does it mean Page identifies as a man, but still have, well, lady parts for lack of a better phrase?

They identify as a man (well he/him). Whether or not they choose to get reassignment surgery is unknown and likely wont be anytime soon...or ever.

They identify as a man (well he/him). Whether or not they choose to get reassignment surgery is unknown and likely wont be anytime soon...or ever.

Cool thanks, hope my wording didn't offend anyone. As I say totally ignorant on this stuff as I tend to be a do whatever makes you happy person and don't look into the details too much.

Forgive my ignorance, I am really lost when it comes to this stuff having never experienced it.

But does it mean Page identifies as a man, but still have, well, lady parts for lack of a better phrase?

Same boat. I have no idea what this means - I am way too old.

1) if Page's wife is a lesbian, does this now mean she's actually in a heterosexual relationship?

2) the search for identity seems really damn hard for some, and I have nothing but sympathy for all the inner turmoil and confusion that Page must have experienced along the way.

Personally I don't care whether Page is gay/straight/man/woman/both/neither/trans or a robot. Page remains a brilliant performer, and has put a stamp on the role. I don't want a recast, period.

Hey, here's a thought, if Page gets physical reassignment to male, then why not have Vanya switch genders - I mean if she can blow up the moon is it really a stretch ? She'd be Ivan.

A small correction. Page seemingly identifies as trans and non-binary. Their pronouns are he/they.

Okay.I get the "he" but how does the "they" work ?
I mean "they" is a plural pronoun, isn't it ? Why not " he and him". Irrespective of Page's gender identity he is only one person, right ?

I mean "they" is a plural pronoun, isn't it ? Why not " he and him". Irrespective of Page's gender identity he is only one person, right ?
They can be plural or singular based on context. The APA summary is a good explanation.
Welcome, singular “they”

Same boat. I have no idea what this means - I am way too old.

1) if Page's wife is a lesbian, does this now mean she's actually in a heterosexual relationship?

2) the search for identity seems really damn hard for some, and I have nothing but sympathy for all the inner turmoil and confusion that Page must have experienced along the way.

They came out as non-binary, not as a trans guy, to be clear - this is according to Variety, who seems to have the most accurate information as they had a photoshoot and discussion prior. So the answer to your number 1 question is no.

They/them has actually been used in the singular for centuries.

Singular they - Wikipedia

I was not aware of this myself until I started learning about transgender issues, so I understand how it could catch someone by surprise. Then I realized I had done it before myself, and it made sense.

They can be plural or singular based on context. The APA summary is a good explanation.
Welcome, singular “they”

They came out as non-binary, not as a trans guy, to be clear - this is according to Variety, who seems to have the most accurate information as they had a photoshoot and discussion prior. So the answer to your number 1 point is no.

Okay then. I'll take your word for it.

So I just want to make a general note thingy in here. I deleted a post earlier that just had a little something I want to address, but I don't want to single that individual out. I assume everyone posting in here is doing so in good faith and this thread's been quite good so far so I'd rather no one get into trouble. But to that end and just for the sake of the boards in general as this goes a bit beyond this specific instance, I'd like to highlight something.

While the information has come out in a way that kind of makes things hard to follow and would benefit from some clarification to the point where seemingly the most complete information comes from a Variety article, the pronoun and name stuff has been very clear. As such, I'd like to just highlight not to misgender people by misusing pronouns or just deadnaming. It's been a few days, the news is out there at this point, it's easy enough to see those two basic things and there isn't really any lack of clarity here. For them, it's Elliot Page, and he or they. There are trans users on here, and even if there weren't, that kind of thing just isn't really okay and can cause a lot of people to feel uncomfortable.

So, yeah, this thread's been pretty good about everything so far, and that makes my life a little easier and I'm very tired all of the time and so I appreciate that discussion in here has been of the variety one would hope. But please don't do that. I'm willing to assume when it's happened, it's been simply the result of things being unclear or otherwise not understanding. But the name and pronoun stuff has been presented in pretty black and white clarity at this point and repeatedly not doing that is just not a great thing to do. So, yeah, please don't do that, and thank you for being pretty solid here, guys.

So Snow Queen and I have been having a little wager on whether there will be a new girlfriend for Vanya in the group. I think yes. With the descriptions for Sloane and Jayme I think it is highly probable. I think Jayme, who just happens to also have a Y in her name, being the loner of the group, with only one real friend really plays into what we have seen from Vanya imo. She's also a bit younger so I guess they could do something with Five, but I don't expect it. Sloane is an outside possibility which I can also see happening, but something tells me she might be tied to Diego, with Lila not being at all happy. Especially with his recent heartbreak. Oh, that would be perfect with how things went for Diego and Vanya last season. Honestly, considering there are 6 non-cubes and the heartbreak all our siblings had last season, I could see a situation where they all pair off, though I would not expect it.

So Snow Queen and I have been having a little wager on whether there will be a new girlfriend for Vanya in the group. I think yes. With the descriptions for Sloane and Jayme I think it is highly probable. I think Jayme, who just happens to also have a Y in her name, being the loner of the group, with only one real friend really plays into what we have seen from Vanya imo. She's also a bit younger so I guess they could do something with Five, but I don't expect it. Sloane is an outside possibility which I can also see happening, but something tells me she might be tied to Diego, with Lila not being at all happy. Especially with his recent heartbreak. Oh, that would be perfect with how things went for Diego and Vanya last season. Honestly, considering there are 6 non-cubes and the heartbreak all our siblings had last season, I could see a situation where they all pair off, though I would not expect it.

The first thing I thought when I saw Jayme's character was that she'd be Vanya's new girlfriend. :funny:
I also think there are clear parallels, as you noted, between the Umbrella Academy members and the Sparrows - notice that both number sixes have their strongest familial connection with their respective number fours, both number fours counteract their individual traumas with humor, both number twos are jealous of their number ones...and most interesting to me, Netflix specifically noted that Christopher the Cube, the Sparrows' number seven, is embraced by the other Sparrows as a sibling - which is cute and funny, but also makes him the opposite of Vanya. I'll be interested to see if these parallels and connections are intentional, and if so, how they'll be exploited.
As for romantic options, I could envision a few possibilities: Vanya and Jayme, obviously. The fandom has been pushing as hard for Diego to be LGBTQ+ as they did with Vanya, so that might go somewhere - I doubt Lila and Diego will get back together anyway, at least not soon.

The first thing I thought when I saw Jayme's character was that she'd be Vanya's new girlfriend. :funny:
I also think there are clear parallels, as you noted, between the Umbrella Academy members and the Sparrows - notice that both number sixes have their strongest familial connection with their respective number fours, both number fours counteract their individual traumas with humor, both number twos are jealous of their number ones...and most interesting to me, Netflix specifically noted that Christopher the Cube, the Sparrows' number seven, is embraced by the other Sparrows as a sibling - which is cute and funny, but also makes him the opposite of Vanya. I'll be interested to see if these parallels and connections are intentional, and if so, how they'll be exploited.
As for romantic options, I could envision a few possibilities: Vanya and Jayme, obviously. The fandom has been pushing as hard for Diego to be LGBTQ+ as they did with Vanya, so that might go somewhere - I doubt Lila and Diego will get back together anyway, at least not soon.
Good point about the parallels. :D

With Diego and Lila. I expect for their relationship to play some sort of role going forward considering how things were left, which is why I do think whatever romance he has this season, might tie into a situation with reappearing and/or not being happy about it. She got a bit possessive with him last season. One thing I should have totally considered and didn't, is that considering what has happened, chances are Eudora is probably alive in this timeline. She probably hasn't met Diego. I could see a situation where he runs into her again, and that totally being a thing.

With Lila. I'm of two minds. Part of me thinks she will reappearing in S3, but it might be more a bit part, mainly as if they are confident of a season 4, she could be a big part of that. The other part of me though thinks they wouldn't want to leave that hanging, especially with how popular she was last season.

Good point about the parallels. :D

With Diego and Lila. I expect for their relationship to play some sort of role going forward considering how things were left, which is why I do think whatever romance he has this season, might tie into a situation with reappearing and/or not being happy about it. She got a bit possessive with him last season. One thing I should have totally considered and didn't, is that considering what has happened, chances are Eudora is probably alive in this timeline. She probably hasn't met Diego. I could see a situation where he runs into her again, and that totally being a thing.

With Lila. I'm of two minds. Part of me thinks she will reappearing in S3, but it might be more a bit part, mainly as if they are confident of a season 4, she could be a big part of that. The other part of me though thinks they wouldn't want to leave that hanging, especially with how popular she was last season.

With Ritu Aryu being confirmed to return I think she will play a sizeable part this season. Netflix have been cancelling things left and right, and even took a while to confirm this season, so I wouldn't get hopes up for a season 4 just yet.

Season 2 POPs!!! :mrk:

f4W0aSa.jpg

sRL4G9o.jpg

tEOUbwU.jpg

I love Genesis Rodriguez! And I cant wait to see the Cube in action.

JpsAESR.jpg

a40badd9075a3213edd7e0f9bf334a6911c4aafa.jpg

Hmfom0c.jpg

Not new, just re-posting here so I don't have to keep looking them up elsewhere, and to have the descriptions with their faces in the same post.
they don't all seem to line up that well with the comic versions(although I haven't read them)
However there are some parallels from their looks, temperaments descriptions.
# 1 Marcus seems straight forward
#4 Alphonso could be the "voodoo" guy, maybe scars himself, so others feel the pain.
Either #5 Rodriguez or #6 David could easily be the one who becomes Ravens/Sparrows.
The other could be the one that "wretches" dark energy blast out their mouth.
And could this #2 Ben incarnation be the "horror"/monster on the outside, and it's maybe good Ben trapped on the inside within him?

ZezxFCy.jpg

Justin Cornwell -Marcus, aka Sparrow #1- charming, chiseled, colossus.Honest, virtuous and demanding, Marcus keeps the family together. Graceful but lethal, calculated but compassionate, he is as smart as he is strong. Marcus is disciplined, rational and in control. He oozes confidence and leadership without ever having to raise his voice.

yGKns44.jpg

Justin H. Min - Ben, aka Sparrow #2.- not the sweet Ben viewers know and love. This Ben is a Machiavellian tactician, wrapped up in a pretty boy body with a rumbling inner-squid. Vicious, pragmatic, and hyper-vigilant — Ben is determined to gain his status as the leader at all costs.

coVqO95.jpg

Britne Oldford - Fei, aka Sparrow #3, sees the world in a special way. She comes across as a misanthrope who would rather be alone than spend even a second with you. But truth be told, Fei wishes she had a friend. Most of the time, Fei is the smartest person in the room and willing to work things out. But if you cross her there’s no looking back because Fei won’t stop until the job is done.

3dgYb71.jpg

Jake Epstein - Alphonso, aka Sparrow #4, whose body and face are scarred from years of crime fighting. To compensate, Alphonso is armed with a caustic and biting sense of humor. The only thing he likes better than verbally battering anyone foolish enough to get in his face, is a good pizza and a six-pack of beer.

0h3bvKz.jpg

Genesis Rodriguez - Sloane, aka Sparrow #5. A romantic and a dreamer who feels a higher cosmic calling leaving her eager to see the world and experience a life beyond her upbringing. But obligations to her family keep Sloane tethered to the Academy, as does her fear of crossing the family line. But Sloane has plans … and one day she might just be brave enough to act on them.

4sLwBwH.jpg

Cazzie David- Jayme, aka Sparrow #6. Jayme is a loner hidden under a hoodie. She doesn’t say much because she doesn’t have to. Jayme has a fear-inducing snarl. Catch a glimpse of it, and you’ll run across the street to avoid what follows. Smart and sharp as a knife, she spends most of her time hanging with Alphonso, her only friend.

RzSrpzQ.jpg

(Voice?) - Christopher, aka Sparrow #7, the Existential Dread-Inducing Psykronium Cube. Christopher is a telekinetic cube of unknown origin. He can turn the room freezing cold and induce paralyzing fear. He acts as the Sparrows’ consulted oracle who hands out incredible advice and serves as the family mediator. Trustworthy, loyal, and is treated by the Sparrows like any other sibling, Christopher is a force to be reckoned with.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevezorz
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"