New Sam Raimi interview

superkong 500

Sidekick
Reaction score
THE WIZARD Q&A: SAM RAIMI
The 'Spider-Man 3' director spins tales about how he was sold on Venom, how Sandman is no ordinary villain and whether he'd do a fourth film.

By Mike Cotton

Posted January 6, 2007 4:50 PM

Sam Raimi admits that he’s always thinking about the next “Spider-Man” as he works on the current film.

He can’t help it.

He sees locations, characters, story possibilities and can’t help but begin to formulate the next feature even as he works day and night on a film—which is currently “Spider-Man 3”—that he hasn’t even completed yet.

That’s why, while filming “Spider-Man 2,” Raimi was already beginning to see Sandman—another classic Spider-Man villain created by Stan Lee and Steve Ditko —as the bad guy in the third flick.

“When you’re in postproduction on one film, you start thinking about what will happen in the next one,” he says, currently working toward the May 4, 2007 release of “Spider-Man 3.”

But as Raimi began to think about Sandman, then-Marvel Studios head and Producer Avi Arad had a plea to make.

“Sam, I know you’re planning to do the story with two of the older characters, but what the fans of Spider-Man really want to see is Venom,” Arad told Raimi, talking about the ’90s villainous icon from the comics. “Think of them. That’s what they really want. Can you find it in your heart to give it to them?”

Raimi could deny many things to many people—he’s turned the “Spider-Man” franchise into a billion-dollar business for Sony Pictures and Marvel Studios—but Raimi could never deny the fans anything.

“I’m hoping I didn’t betray anyone by making that choice because you want to give them what they want to see and you want to do what is in your heart,” says the director, who’s just as big a fan of the fans as they are of him. “It’s always hard to know exactly what the right thing to do is, but finally, if it was a personal story, I would’ve said, ‘It doesn’t matter what the fans want because there are no fans. It’s just something that’s an original.’

“But this is not an original,” continues the director. “It’s a comic book that has existed for 40 years and one of the most popular villains is [Venom]. I’m trying to diminish my own prejudice against that and open myself up to what other people love about the franchise, too.”

Raimi eventually fell in love with the life and character screenwriter Alvin Sergant brought to Eddie Brock—the man who dons Peter Parker’s discarded black costume to bond with Venom—and 28-year-old actor Topher Grace only improved the character for him.

Concurrently, Raimi also got his “classic” villain into the film with actor Thomas Haden Church playing the conflicted villain Sandman. The super busy director sat down with Wizard to discuss casting Grace to play opposite Tobey Maguire’s Peter Parker, Gwen Stacy’s part in the film as well as his opinion of the latest comic films, including Bryan Singer’s “Superman Returns."
WIZARD: Sam, the “Spider-Man” films are always about power and responsibility, but with the introduction of Venom, this one takes a slightly darker tone.

RAIMI: It really is a continuation of where we left off on “Spider-Man 2.” It follows Peter Parker and his life, and it tracks him in his growth as a human being and as a moral person. It finds him in the next moment of his life where he has to learn a lesson. This time it’s a lesson of humility. It’s where you fall from the sin of pride, and how he finally learns what it means to be humble.

Is it tough for you—being someone who likes to surprise the audience—to cut together a trailer to promote the film?

Oh, it’s impossible. I’m terrible at that. Unfortunately, the way that these promotional things work you’ve got to go out and talk about the movie, and yet I feel like it’s just so not what I want to do for the fans. I don’t want to tell them about what they’re going to see. I just really want them to see the movie. I really believe that the director should have their movie be seen and they should not be heard. It’s a shame, and yet I’m sitting here doing this interview with you because I want people to see the movie. So it’s called promotion. I’m also trying to tell you as little as possible about the picture, but the guys reading the magazine are thinking, “Why do you think we’re reading the damn thing? We want to know about it.” But I just want the movie to tell the story, honestly.

It’s a fine line to walk for you…

Well, I hope [the fans] like it. In this case, since it’s not an original story, it’s all culled from the comic books, everyone knows what’s going to happen anyway if they think about it, in my opinion. It’s all from the comic books. So, you know how it’s bound to end pretty much. At least that’s what I think.

Are there any comics people should be checking out if they want to know what the film is taking from the source material?

Well, there are a number of storylines, and so it is a number of comic books that we used storylines from, a tremendous amount—everything from the original writers and artists of those comic books. I guess, when Sandman first appeared in Amazing Spider-Man [#4]. Then a number of the different artists and writers who contributed to the Venom stories. There are different origins for Venom.

You’re not playing Sandman as a straight-out villain, right? He’s more conflicted?

Yes, he is. He is a conflicted villain. He is a real human being that something extraordinary happens to and he has goals that are outside of those goals that are sometimes attributed to movie and comic supervillains. He wants nothing to do with dominating the world or the United States or the government. He really just wants what is best for him and his family. He doesn’t consider himself to be a villain necessarily. He’s just a man struggling to get what he needs. In doing so, he breaks the laws and becomes a villain and because he has these powers, he becomes a supervillain, but like many of us he’s wracked with guilt and pain and he fights for what he believes in even though in his case, what he believes in is against the law.

Now I understand that you wanted to work with Thomas in “The Gift” and specifically in the role that Keanu Reeves played.

That’s right.

Did he immediately come to mind for Sandman?

No. No, he did not. He was suggested to me by [producers] Laura [Ziskin] and Avi [Arad.] They had just, I think, been to an awards dinner where he was and they then suggested him to me. I wasn’t thinking of him for Sandman. They just saw him at an awards dinner where he was being honored for “Sideways,” which he was so brilliant in, and I thought, “You’re right.

He’s a great actor and I tried to work with him before. I’d love to work with him on this.” So it was a great matchup for me.

Page 2

Since you weren’t initially a fan of Venom, was there something that you found to like about Venom, something that appealed to you and made him click for you?

I pretty much enjoyed what [screenwriter] Alvin Sargent did with the writing of the character and what Topher did with the performance of the character, but I’m still kind of waiting. Maybe when the movie is complete I’ll have the fullest understanding of Venom, but I’m still waiting for a little more to come in on him.

What did Topher do to the character of Eddie Brock, of Venom—what did he bring that sold you on him?

He just committed completely to who Eddie Brock was. The character’s past developed and justified the actions of the character in the scenes with Peter Parker at The Daily Bugle. He sold out his life in ways that maybe the comic books hadn’t needed to, and really developed a real relationship with the characters in the film that made him very complete and human for me.

When we were at Comic-Con in San Diego this year and doing interviews, there was a question about Venom and you said he was from space, then said, “I didn’t say that,” with a grin. Is it now on the record that Venom is from space?

[Laughs] I can’t say.

In addition to Topher and Thomas, you’ve also added Bryce Dallas Howard as Gwen Stacy to the franchise. What does the part of Gwen bring to this movie?

It’s not a giant role. It’s just really like the introduction of her character more than anything. It’s the introduction of Gwen into the storyline. We meet her and she has a little interaction with Peter, a little interaction with Spider-Man, a little bit of interaction with Mary Jane [Kirsten Dunst] and a little interaction with Eddie Brock. But it’s more or less the introduction of her into the Spider-Man world because you can’t do everything all in one picture.

And Venom and Sandman’s stories don’t really cross over much in this film, right?

No. It wasn’t a plan to keep them apart. That’s just how the story happened to work itself out actually, but it is true.

Trilogies are the big hotness, but you mentioned that when you make a film, you start thinking about the next one. So, is a fourth “Spider-Man” film a possibility?

Oh, yeah. I’m certain of it. Sony is planning to make more “Spider-Man” pictures, but they haven’t told me about my involvement with it just yet.

What if they want you involved?

It would be great.

You’ve pretty much devoted your life to these films over the last five years. Most directors take time off, even do other films, but you’ve been pretty much locked up with the Spider-Man films since 2000. How do you keep going?

Well, there is a little bit of my mind forcing my body to forget so that I can endure it. It definitely… 75 percent of the shoot I’m cursing myself remembering only then that this was why I wouldn’t make another one because this is what almost killed me the last time. They’re really very complex movies to make. I have a tremendous amount of help from so many great professionals and artists, but it’s really like making a few movies at once when you make a “Spider-Man” movie.

Are you someone who goes out to the movies and sees “Batman Begins” and “Superman Returns”?

You know, I did see “Superman Returns” and I thought that it was great, but I don’t usually go see movies because I’m so busy with “Spider-Man.” I used to see movies until I started making “Spider-Man.” About six years ago, I stopped seeing movies because I work six days a week from early morning until late at night every night, and there is no time to see movies anymore when you work that hard and that long. I’ve taken off, in the last three years, 10 days. Two years actually, that I’ve taken off 10 days, just to be with my kids. So, I can’t kind of waste two hours of my time off to go see a movie. I’d rather spend it with my kids.

Does it feel like you have more of “Spider-Man 3” behind you instead of in front of you now? How long is the road ahead?

Well, we are racing to get it done. There are so many FX shots and we had the least amount of prep time on this film than any film that we’ve worked on before. It was still being written up until the last day of shooting and I still have FX photography to finish. Face replacement photography, blue-screen elements—all the tremendous amount of complex FX. We’re spending hours a day everyday in FX meetings to work those FX out, and then basically cutting the picture.

What about how you dressed on set as a Navy admiral? How would you rate your own behind-the-scenes performance?

[Laughs] I was damn good.

I’ve got a picture of you here dressed as an admiral. Do you just dress up in random costumes on set for fun?

Well, that was a water scene and I thought that just once in my life, while sitting in the water, I wanted to direct in an admiral’s outfit.

Did you suddenly command more respect?

Oh, absolutely. In fact, the starched white and blue and the hat and the bars helps… but it’s the tassels that really do it though

i have that issue of wizard. very cool info. sam said gwen does not have a huge role in this movie and it is just her introduction so that is leading me to beleive that gwen will have a bigger role in spidey4. sam said that there is a certain possibility of a spidey4 and he answered wizards question which was "what if they want you involed" and sam said, "it would be great". that means there will most likley and hopefully be a spidey4 and it also means that sam might be involved in spidey4. i just hope this really happens.

Is there any more of the interview?

I have the damn magazine and still haven't read it. I'm so ashamed. :O

Is there any more of the interview?

No but, I must say that Iam kinda bumbed about the venom part, he loves to talk about sandman but when it comes to venom... What does he mean by saying that he still has to see the movie to know how venom comes out, that he doesn't fully understand venom yet or something along those lines.

No but, I must say that Iam kinda bumbed about the venom part, he loves to talk about sandman but when it comes to venom... What does he mean by saying that he still has to see the movie to know how venom comes out, that he doesn't fully understand venom yet or something along those lines.
i think he wants to see brocks story in the movie and how venom is and to learn more about the symbiote. he probably meant that he wants to see the story of venom in the movie to fully understand him. i guess that is what he meant. don't worry though i have faith in sam and i know venom will be great.

Good information....I want more.

Yeah, I'm greedy.

-R

Bless your soul, Sam Raimi.

EDIT: Also, he mentioned that not all FX are finished, so QUIT complaining. You can sleep tonight, people!!!

^Just goes to show that Raimi doesn't really care for the character,and you can bet he will end the complete symbiote story in SM3 giving us nothing but classic villains in SM4.

^Just goes to show that Raimi doesn't really care for the character,and you can bet he will end the complete symbiote story in SM3 giving us nothing but classic villains in SM4.

I don't think he would truly do that. He may not understand the character, but part of me believes he wouldn't complete the symbiote story in SM3.

If he does then that's fine. That means The Lizard, Vermin, or Kraven the Hunter for Spider-Man 4. :yay:

See, it's things like this that makes me worried. For crying out loud, your the friggin director! What do you have to do to undertstand? It's not rocket science for Petes sake!

Don't get me wrong, i'm looking forward to Spider-Man 3, but come on. It's like he's purchased a pair of shoes, but he's unsure if he'll like them, but he bought them anyways.

"Yeah I guess i'll buy these shoes. I'm not sure if they're good enough, but i'll buy them"

Time goes on.

"I'm unsure, I guess I have to understand them more...I guess i'll just go get some classic, old mouldy socks."

:oldrazz:

Actually it just goes to show that he wants to keep Venom a surprise.

I don't know why some people seem so surprised by his attitude. He's made no secret that he doesn't like Venom. He never had any intention of using him in his movies.

But the Venom fans demanded it. Now they're getting it. You know the old saying, be careful what you wish for :cwink:

Raimi was being greedy, somebody put their foot down, and thats the way the cookie crumbled.

I must admit, it bugs me that Raimi ones again has made the villain (Sandman) a villain with a conscience!!! How he doesn't concidder him self a villain, yet he brakes the law to uptain what he wants.. What he thinks is the best for his family... I just dont see why Raimi can't make one bad-ass villain that's a mean bad guy right from the get go... I love how Raimi huminizes the villains.. But this sounds to become yet another DocOck! I just wanna see a mean villain, without a conscience go mad... We haven't seen that yet! And NO, Eddie is NOT plain evil... He just ****ing hates Peter/spider-man!

I for one wants to see spider-man truely beat the bad-guy in a fight, where the last man standing is the winner!!! Not something anti-climatic like in spidey 2, where he teams up with DocOck! This just can't happen in spidey 3 also!

Hey dont blame Raimi for giving us only half of Venom, blame Arad. He guilted Raimi into cramming Venom into this one because he claimed that "it's what the fans want." And while there certainly were many here clamoring for Venom, there were also many (including myself) who wanted him in SM4 or SM5 so that his story could be properly told over more than one film. Well now all you whiny fanboys are getting Venom, but not necessarily the Venom you wanted...and it's all b/c of your complaining. If you hadnt done so Avi may have not pushed Raimi and we'd be getting Sandman and a TRUE conclusion to the Goblin legacy with Harry as a main villian. But now...you rarely even hear about Harry when the discussion of villians is brought up. All you hear about is Venom. Thanks alot fanboys....

raimi's done this dance before

darkman
army of darkness
the quick and the dead
were both hindered due to exec input but despite this they ended up being good films. darkman even went on to be more popular than the shadow which was the initial film raimi wanted to direct

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"