BvS new Zack Snyder quote implies WB forced Batman/Superman movie instead of MOS2???

WB had money on their minds. WELP.

Of course, based on normal holds for CBM films -which WB anticipated, they certainly were not expecting less than normal holds and probably hoping for better, MOS was a disappointment and underperformed the typical CBM.

Its opening weekend should have resulted in 800 million WW and it didn't come close. It fell short proportionally about like SR did. The expectation there was supposedly around 500 million.

This should come out in the next weeks as film sites do summer film analysis. For some however, as with SR, the "inside" info film sites will be giving will be denied. Despite the fact there is no solo follow-up, there are no plans for a trilogy and MOS may be defunct as a franchise - neither WB or Snyder are even hinting at more MOS solo films.

Last edited:
The wild card is still "How much Batman?"

I would have preferred a movie that focuses more on Bruce trying to 'work with' Lex while really attempting to prevent him from using any technology for wrongdoing. Bring in Batman during the final act, have him work with Superman, but still keep the focus on Superman throughout the film.

The wild card is still "How much Batman?"

I would have preferred a movie that focuses more on Bruce trying to 'work with' Lex while really attempting to prevent him from using any technology for wrongdoing. Bring in Batman during the final act, have him work with Superman, but still keep the focus on Superman throughout the film.

If its bale no way he does not become the film's focus. I loved Bale as batman but bringing him in will be a disaster not just for the MOS franchise but a total slap in the face to Cavill. Even w/o Bale, having to bring a co-star actor in along side Cavill is a slap in the face - IMO.

They are not bringing in a co-writer for Goyer or a new director/co-director for Snyder. The blame is being shifted away from them when, IMO, they are most responsible for MOS's underperformance.

Its bad enough Batman has to bail out a struggling MOS franchise - but please don't have him dominate the next film.

Last edited:
What if they tried something different and presented Bruce and Batman being two different people to Superman and company and that it wasn’t until the very end of the film that Bruce finally reveals to Superman that he’s Batman, only for Superman to reveal that he’s known for awhile and respected Bruce’s Privacy, hence not coming out about it earlier on.

If its bale no way he does not become the film's focus. I loved Bale as batman but bringing him in will be a disaster not just for the MOS franchise but a total slap in the face to Cavill. Even w/o Bale, having to bring a co-star actor in along side Cavill is a slap in the face - IMO.

Its bad enough Batman has to bail out a struggling MOS franchise - but please don't have him dominate the next film.
Bale won't be back. He's done. :)

I agree that it's a slap in the face and kind of silly that WB seemingly thinks they can and should bring him back. They need to let the new film and Snyder's vision breathe a little.

Bale won't be back. He's done. :)

I agree that it's a slap in the face and kind of silly that WB seemingly thinks they can and should bring him back. They need to let the new film and Snyder's vision breathe a little.

Cavill's stint will be up after JL and WF. If WB wants him back in supporting roles only for JL films I hope he walks and does not re-sign.

It will complicate things for for JL2 (recast), but Cavill deserved at least one solo film. He should be in a financial position by then where he can walk and I hope he does. He need not settle for playing second fiddle to Batman, Flash, WW et all.

Last edited:
Guys, Bale's done. He is not ever coming back. We're getting a newer, younger, cheaper Batman.

What if they tried something different and presented Bruce and Batman being two different people to Superman and company and that it wasn’t until the very end of the film that Bruce finally reveals to Superman that he’s Batman, only for Superman to reveal that he’s known for awhile and respected Bruce’s Privacy, hence not coming out about it earlier on.

I could see that happening or vice versa as far as knowing each others identities.....I kind of hope and wish that Batman will kind of have as much screen time as Hardy did in MOS and impact

Where's the suspense for us the audience?

I really hate how people are reacted to this. Now I don't think he meant that he has/had no choice in including Batman in this movie, but if he didn't, what does it matter? WB would be doing the SAME EXACT THING Marvel Studios is doing: They are putting the hammer down on their filmmaker(s) and letting them now that they have to do something a certain way so that they can build to a certain goal. In this case, JLA.

WB is not in the wrong here.

I think the big difference here is that Marvel Studios (not Fox or Sony) actually care about their characters, while Warner Bros only looks for the profit in theirs since they’re not a film production company that was created to make comic book films only. Plus, unlike Warner Bros., Marvel Studios actually has a general outline on how they plan on growing their franchises.

Plus, at least Marvel hasn’t forced their filmmakers to create marvel films where one of the Major (Big Four: Iron Man, Hulk, Thor, Captain America) appear as a major supporting character for one of their other solo films.

i don't think MOS under performed - if you compare it to it's 'competition' then sure, it didn't make nolan trilogy money, or marvel money, but thing is, for what it did make, for a new franchise, so to speak, it did well. Sure, i wish there was more story, in the sense of character development, but i left the cinema wanting more.. not trying to justify the film as i did with Returns.

This is a grounded MOS sequel, where the villian will be a human in super powered suit - wether it be Metallo or Batman. I hope.

My problem with MOS, i would have rather the flash back scenes be shorter and actually introduced by clark - as if he were talking to someone.. lana or lois

If we were to have “Man of Steel” go up against previous origin/reboot films, then it beats a lot of them when it comes to its financial gross. MOS has made more than the likes of: Iron Man 1, Batman Begins, Star Trek, Captain America, Thor, and The Incredible Hulk. Hell, it’s made even more than Iron Man 2. To be honest, it’s unfair to compare and pit MOS against the likes of “The Dark Knight”, “The Avengers”, or “Iron Man 3” simply because those films has previous films to establish them among fans and the general audience that helped boost their popularity and viewership among their targeted audiences.

And I really don't buy the whole theory on how the film has only made the amount of money that it has now simply due to people having been so impressed with the trailers or that Nolan was attached to it that they came flocking into theaters in the first weekend.

If MOS was a big miss for people after the promising trailers and Nolan being involved, then it wouldn't have reached as far as it did after the first weekend.

I really hate how people are reacted to this. Now I don't think he meant that he has/had no choice in including Batman in this movie, but if he didn't, what does it matter? WB would be doing the SAME EXACT THING Marvel Studios is doing: They are putting the hammer down on their filmmaker(s) and letting them now that they have to do something a certain way so that they can build to a certain goal. In this case, JLA.

WB is not in the wrong here.

I think people are understandably reacting negatively to this. People who are Superman fans.

The expectation was for a trilogy in the lead-up to MOS and immediately after.

There was an apparent sudden change in direction as attested to by Snyder's quote. No explanation why. Which is the perfect feeding gound for the speculation, much of it negative, which has ensued.

Fans are rightfully upset as the MOS franchise seems to be up in the air right now. All WB and Snyder had to do, even if they didn't really mean it, was to say after the WF team up film a solo MOS film is planned.

Simple as that. It would have calmed the waters and made WF less controversial/suspect among Superman fans.

Its called PR and WB and Snyder have not handled this well at all as evidenced by the fallout from Snyder's quote.

Last edited:
Is anyone remotely surprised by this? Of course this is what the studio wants. They saw the success of Avengers and decided: "Hey we have two characters people know so throw them together. We'll make lots of moneys!!!!"

But with that in mind, it's still probably the right decision. While a second MOS film may work narratively; it's really long past due we got to see these two on screen together. Let alone the start of a wider DCCU.

Wow. A slap to the face? Cavill was a B actor before.Superman and his performance.isn't being praised by anyone but superman fans. WB owes him nothing. I liked his performance btw but not in my top ten comic book performances. Ok maybe no10. His performance along with the rest of the movie problems is why we are in this situation. I would have rather got a true.sequel but it would not have sold well.

Yeah, honestly, Cavill is kinda replaceable. It's not that he's bad or anything, it's just that any capable actor could have done what he did in that movie. Perhaps some of that comes down to the story being all over the place, I don't know, I would have loved to have seen a better director in charge of MoS, at least then it may have given Cavill something more to chew on. I'll say this, I think he's in a better spot than what Routh was after Returns, he's got far more leading man potential and far better charisma.

I think the big difference here is that Marvel Studios (not Fox or Sony) actually care about their characters, while Warner Bros only looks for the profit in theirs since they’re not a film production company that was created to make comic book films only. Plus, unlike Warner Bros., Marvel Studios actually has a general outline on how they plan on growing their franchises.

Plus, at least Marvel hasn’t forced their filmmakers to create marvel films where one of the Major (Big Four: Iron Man, Hulk, Thor, Captain America) appear as a major supporting character for one of their other solo films.

That's the feeling I get from Marvel vs WB too.

That's not true. Both companies care about their properties. If anything the DC/WB team care too much that they are afraid to expose them to the general audience and suffer failure. Marvel on the other had is willing to risk the properties and not give up trying again if the franchise fails. Case in point, The Hulk, Fantastic Four, Daredevil and Punisher franchises. Marvel is basically throwing stuff out their and hoping something will stick.

There were actually people who thought that this wasn't Warners idea?!! :lmao:

I don't think he is washing his hands of the film, I think he is telling the truth. Surprisingly people didn't already know that.
I thought this from day 1 they weren't happy with how much money man of steel made.so they came up with the team up idea to relaunch batman and crap over man of steel 2.

That's not true. Both companies care about their properties. If anything the DC/WB team care too much that they are afraid to expose them to the general audience and suffer failure. Marvel on the other had is willing to risk the properties and not give up trying again if the franchise fails. Case in point, The Hulk, Fantastic Four, Daredevil and Punisher franchises. Marvel is basically throwing stuff out their and hoping something will stick.

If DC/WB cared, then they would have beaten Marvel to the "Group Team" lineup long before Marvel since they had all of their characters under one studio and at least Marvel is attempting to find competent people to bring their characters to life.

Honestly, if Marvel's characters were under Warner bros's care instead, then I really doubt that we would have gotten films like Guardians of the Galaxy or even Thor for that matter, and if Warner Bros. really cared then they wouldn't have been so thrilled with what Joel did with the likes of the Batman films along with how Green Lantern turned out.

I thought this from day 1 they weren't happy with how much money man of steel made.so they came up with the team up idea to relaunch batman and crap over man of steel 2.

I think you may have a point and that this is basically the re-launch Batman film. The thing that makes me scratch my head though is, if WB feels Batman is all they have going now, why re-launch him against Avengers2 and SW. And why use the same creative team responsible for MOS? Its a conundrum.

Last edited:
Wow. A slap to the face? Cavill was a B actor before.Superman and his performance.isn't being praised by anyone but superman fans. WB owes him nothing. I liked his performance btw but not in my top ten comic book performances. Ok maybe no10. His performance along with the rest of the movie problems is why we are in this situation. I would have rather got a true.sequel but it would not have sold well.

Don't say that about Cavill on the Cavill thread. LOL.

I think it was more the direction and script that made him seem kinda wooden in the film.

The film had problems but with the same folks in charge of WF isn't it likely to have problems too? Or does including Batman in the next film make those all go away somehow?

Last edited:
Of course, based on normal holds for CBM films -which WB anticipated, they certainly were not expecting less than normal holds and probably hoping for better, MOS was a disappointment and underperformed the typical CBM.

Its opening weekend should have resulted in 800 million WW and it didn't come close. It fell short proportionally about like SR did. The expectation there was supposedly around 500 million.

This should come out in the next weeks as film sites do summer film analysis. For some however, as with SR, the "inside" info film sites will be giving will be denied. Despite the fact there is no solo follow-up, there are no plans for a trilogy and MOS may be defunct as a franchise - neither WB or Snyder are even hinting at more MOS solo films.
I don't get why you keep saying Man of Steel was a bust. Please tell me how pulling in 650 million is a bust. MOS did exactly what it was suppose to do. It got the people talking and excited about Superman again and started a conjoined movie universe for DC. So how did it fail? Because some people didn't like the movie while most did. I get that you don't care for the movie but don't start making up stuff as well.

Granted, I'm not exactly thrilled that Batman is in the next film, but I don't know what makes you even think that MOS is a flop for film standards.

You do realize that MOS is the beginning of a large franchise right? It's not the culmination of several films having been released before it.

And I can't believe you're comparing this to SR considering that MOS has made double of what SR did at the end of its theatrical run.

Seriously, take it from someone who knows how to be unrealistically negative here at times; there's a difference between being upset about something and being just plain unrealistic about it as well.

You do realize that MOS has performed better, box office wise, than the likes of these films right?

1. Iron Man 1 and 2
2. Thor
3. Captain America
4. The Incredible Hulk
5. Superman Returns
6. Batman Begins

Hell, for non comic book films, it's beaten the likes of Star Trek and even King Kong as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"