The Wolverine News & Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crockett

With Teeth
Reaction score
It may be too early since the movie is still in pre-production but I'd figure just open a thread so when a upcoming news pop we could post it here and also to discuss about the movie. Well since it's dry on the news I'd figure I could start a discussion.

Now for me it's quite odd that I should say that I'm looking forward to a sequel to Origins considering that it was disappointed but the news alone of Aronofsky coming onboard to direct was enough for me to get quite frankly, stoked. He's one of the greatest modern director and the news of Chris McQuarrie is doing script I'm beginning to get optimistic, not to mention it also won't connect to Origins. Now it's still Fox behind it but hopefully they learned that they shouldn't interfere that much and let Aronofsky do his thing and we will end up getting a fantastic film.

Hugh spoke to EW about Darren, and Hugh's conversation with "The Rock". Man gaining 25 pounds of muscle at his age? This man is truly dedicated to his role.
Hugh Jackman talks 'The Wolverine' and Darren Aronofsky
by Sara Vilkomerson

Will The Wolverine be the biggest hit of the X-Men universe? We won’t know till the film opens (reportedly in 2012) but it certainly might be our biggest Wolverine: Hugh Jackman tells EW that director Darren Aronofsky has already asked him to gain 25 lbs of muscle — “which is more than I ever have for the role” — before filming begins next spring. “It’s not easy for me,” he says. “Because I’m actually quite long and lean.” For advice he turned to none other than The Rock! “I had a chat with Dwayne Johnson who did 25 pounds for his movie,” Jackman says, referring to Johnson’s latest, Faster. “I rang him up and was like, Okay, tell me what’s going on.” The answer: six months, a pound a week, 6,000 calories a day which, Jackman points out, is an awful lot of chicken, steak, and brown rice.

Still, he’s very excited about re-teaming with Darren Aronofsky (whose Black Swan is doing even better than expected in limited release), after previously working with him on 2006′s The Fountain. “I love every one of his movies,” he says. “He’s a visionary. I’ve been trying to get Darren since X-Men 3, really. We’ve been talking about this and Wolverine for so long.”

There aren’t too many details yet about the film, which is to be a one-off rather than a traditional sequel. But, Jackman says, “we had a meeting about three weeks ago, catching up as friends more than anything, and he just ran a few ideas by me and my eyes just lit up, because already I think this is like a whole new ballgame – just the ideas, the level of depth, and intelligence, and creativity. I think he’s been waiting so long to do a movie in this genre. When he found the script, he said this is it. It’s really exciting."
http://insidemovies.ew.com/2010/12/07/hugh-jackman-the-wolverine-darren-aronovsky/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+entertainmentweekly%2Fmovie-critics+%28Entertainment+Weekly%2FEW.com%27s%3A+The+Movie+Critics%29&utm_content=Twitter

Good to hear good things and excitement about this picture from some quality talent.

25lbs.?! Oh, I'm liking this Aronofsky.
I have a feeling this film will be an appropriate apology for Origins...and all will be forgiven.

Yeah, 25 lbs is a little...mmmuch. How big was he for the other movies? The guy is gonna dwarf Colossus and Sabretooth. If Omega Red ever makes it into a movie he'd have to be wrestler sized. And a big one too. I think Jackman is bigger than a lot of wrestlers as is.

Hugh is going out of his way for this film...love it. I'm truly excited for this one.

Hugh has gained about 20 lbs of muscle for Origins. So it's 5 lbs more than how big he's been in the last movie.

Plus Hugh might have lost that muscle after filming Origins, so it's probably just five more lbs on what he already had before.

Isn't Hugh an avid bodybuilder though? And has been for years? He's only been getting bigger with each movie. I'm gonna go ahead and google something on it.

Hugh is going out of his way for this film...love it. I'm truly excited for this one.

The Claremont/Miller story is the Wolvie story he always wanted to put on screen according to him. In fact, he and the Producers first approached Fox with that desire and were "suggested" to do Origins first.
I'm hoping this restores a good deal to the character and Hugh goes out on top considering this might be his last time. With 5 movies in 12 years, Hugh will have outlasted just about everybody in his portrayals of a famous comic book character. Shows a real love for the character.

The problem with Jackman gaining too much weight is that he's 6'3 or whatever with a big build. He's going to look huge with that much muscle. Not really a problem if there's no Omega Red (which would be awesome btw) or Sabretooth, but it's worth noting.

As odd as it may be, that Aronofsky is directing a superhero movie, I´m excited. It´s Aronofsky, you could not go wrong with that. :up:

The problem with Jackman gaining too much weight is that he's 6'3 or whatever with a big build. He's going to look huge with that much muscle. Not really a problem if there's no Omega Red (which would be awesome btw) or Sabretooth, but it's worth noting.
Hugh said in a recent interview that it's hard for him to gain that much because he's "tall and lanky" so he really doesn't have a big build, but he does work out when he isn't prepping for Wolverine so it's not something he goes into cold. I've seen photos of him when he was younger before he ever worked out - he was what they call a "tall drink of water" - very lanky. His nickname in school was "Worm."

Hugh will have outlasted just about everybody in his portrayals of a famous comic book character. Shows a real love for the character.
How is playing a character more times than anyone shows real love for the character? Did Roger Moore love James Bond more than Sean Connery because he played it more times?

I'm looking foward to this. I didn't absolutely hate Origins, but there was a lot wrong with it (how's that for an understatement?). Hope they get some things right this time around.

Oh no, his eye looks awful. And it's all Oprah's fault. :oldrazz:

I guess they'll be forced to recast now that he's permanently disfigured.

Nah, he can just play him as Patch now. :cwink:

Question: Bryan Singer is producing the Wolverine too?

As far as has been reported no.However his close friend Christopher Mcquarre who won
an oscar for writing singer's The Usual suspects and also wrote Valkyrie and did uncredited writing on X-Men and worked on Singer's next directing film jack the Giant
Killer wrote the script for the Wolverine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"