NHL thread: Lord Stanley’s Puck

Yeah....I said I didn't really have any skin in the finals, but I really don't like the Panthers' game much. Being a Cali guy, I didn't pay much attention to hockey until a friend of mine from back east that I worked with at UC Santa Cruz got season tickets for the San Jose Sharks in their first season (played at the San Francisco Cow Palace). He told me he couldn't make a game and asked me if I wanted a couple of tickets. I say "yeah sure".

Come to find out, he had 1st row seats at the blue line. So, I figure the best thing to do is buy the biggest beers possible for me and my buddy (mission accomplished). As I'm walking to my seat (two beers in hand), some dude gets absolutely face planted in the glass about a foot away from me and I probably lose about 10 bucks worth of beer. Best 10 bucks I ever spent, but I don't think the people I was walking past got the joke.

I never got too, too much into hockey until I got married to someone from Eastern Mass. She played hockey at U of Vermont and had season tickets to the Bruins (too bad too sad LOL).

Given my experience, I think the Sharks will always be my favorite team, but I really do like the Kings. Man, 2012 was crazy. They were playing SO well, they practically could have beaten God. It was one of those things where they got on a roll like I've rarely seen. The Uber cool thing was I had my home theater system set up with a 120 inch screen and a HD projector with surround sound (and a refrigerator....beer). I think they were an 8 seed, but just kicked the crap out of everyone.

Bottom line is that the Panthers were completely outskilled and looked as lost as a 4 week old puppy when momma went outside to pee.

The San Jose Sharks every year they had a chance to reach the finals! They will be back in the playoffs. San Jose should draft Matvei Michkov! I think it's cool that your lady got you into hockey, and you're right! The Kings teams in 2012 and 2014 could have conquered anyone! Johnathan Quick took out the best goaltenders in the game out east, King Henrik and Martin Brodeur, early.No pun intended, he made quick work of them like Hill made of the Panthers.

The San Jose Sharks every year they had a chance to reach the finals! They will be back in the playoffs. San Jose should draft Matvei Michkov! I think it's cool that your lady got you into hockey, and you're right! The Kings teams in 2012 and 2014 could have conquered anyone! Johnathan Quick took out the best goaltenders in the game out east, King Henrik and Martin Brodeur, early.No pun intended, he made quick work of them like Hill made of the Panthers.
Anytime you go home with the Cup, it's special, BUT, I'd argue that the 2012 team accomplished one of the most amazing feats in the history of the NHL (though I'm no historian LOL). I mean, the Kings came in as an 8 seed and only lost TWO games on their way to the finals. TWO......they were just kicking the S*** out of everyone (including the top seed) and won the finals 4-2. Man, if you went 16-4 in the playoffs, you are doing something very, very right. That's playing .800 against the very best teams in the league. They were just playing out of their skulls. Quick was amazing, but so were SO many of their other players. Brown, Kopitar, Doughty, Williams, Richards, Carter, Penner and so on.....man, everyone was completely in sync. They beat the top seed 4-1, the 2nd seed 4-0, and the 3 seed 4-1.....mind boggling. That run isn't something I'm gonna forget.

And, yeah, the Sharks seem to be a very well run organization.

Last edited:
It's going to be a long somber season for the Sharks because the Sharks don't have much good players.

My Capitals should have 2 objectives, and 2 objectives alone:

1. Make sure that OV surpasses Gretzky's record for all-time goals, and
2. Tank, tank and tank some more, ensuring a high draft pick at 2024 draft.

So far they are not coming close to either of these two objectives :(

I think it's hard to tank as a hockey player... you're bred to play hard and win... no goalie wants to let in goals...

Last edited:
The way Flames handled this is atrocious.
They granted a leave just like the Flyers & Devils... I'm not sure what you expect... the teams are all claiming they didn't know (big difference from "suspect"), but all players are on expiring contracts, so I don't see the 4 of them playing in the NHL anytime soon if ever.

My daughter is totally stoked. Her boyfriend and her went to the Kings game tonight and got on camera. I'm taping the replay so she can record it on her phone or something and send it out to all of her friends. :funny:

Looks like the Coyotes are outta there… report says the team is being purchased by the owners of the Utah Jazz

Sabres miss the playoffs for the 13th straight year, an all time NHL record

I am convinced the Pegula family doesn’t give a single damn about the hockey team they own :ebr:

Wild are trash, and the league has been doing so many dumb things, players committing the most idiotic situations... most checked out I've been since year after Covid season.

I just ****ing hate Bettman, this whole Yotes thing has been a slow bleed out for years (and still feels like whiplash).

Why are these new kids acting like fools with bad hits and retaliations that look like Pee Wee player ****?

I feel like 4 days doesn't go by when I don't hear about a fine or suspension.

I truly believe with spoiled hockey parents hyping their midrange kid up as the next CRosbY for 20 years, kids not learning to properly hit due to hitting being pushed back and back...

...is ruining the sport.

Let alone pts awarded to OT or Shootout wins is weighed too heavy.

Shootouts will forever be the worst thing to happen. It's a team sport ending on one-two players. Will always hate it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"