Nicholoson's Joker--Yea or Nay?

Viper81

Agent of Mac Sauce
Reaction score
I used to swear by Nicholoson's Joker, until Begins came out.

Seeing the gritty feel to that movie has put the original Batman movie in a new light for me, and I'm starting to see what I've heard several people say about Nicholoson's Joker.

While Nicholoson could've pulled off a "dark" joker, the B89 version really did *kind of* camp him up a bit, didn't it?

What are your thoughts?

I thought it was perfect. I'm not sure how gritty a psychopath who thinks people getting hurt is funny should be. And I thought he was pretty dark as well.

Jack Nicholson will always be the Joker in my mind.

Sure all he's playing is Jack Torrance in clown makeup, but it's damn good.

I think Burton had quite the balance going of zany and gritty. He made the zanyness appear as gimmicks as opposed to a reflection on the writing like Schumacher. In other words the joker did these outrageous things to be the standout mobster of their time, an "artist" as hed say, sort of his guise to say "look at me!"

Thats the limit of zanyness for this style imo. He took returns and tried to stretch it further but it was too darkly silly overall imo like a gothic exaggeration where the origins werent explained fully and left for interpretation.

Zany joker is done imo, Nolans Joker needs to be all business.

XCharlieX said:
I think Burton had quite the balance going of zany and gritty. He made the zanyness appear as gimmicks as opposed to a reflection on the writing like Schumacher. In other words the joker did these outrageous things to be the standout mobster of their time, an "artist" as hed say, sort of his guise to say "look at me!"

Thats the limit of zanyness for this style imo. He took returns and tried to stretch it further but it was too darkly silly overall imo like a gothic exaggeration where the origins werent explained fully and left for interpretation.

the joker is never all business, in fact, even when he is commiting horrendous he's usally behaving like a lunatic at the same time, so I'll have to disagree there

Unless Nolan makes this the first time he is all business. Dont get so offended.

A better ratio of business as opposed to silly is what I want, so ill disagree right back atcha.

it's never going to get any better than nicholson's joker. dark and creepy? he burned a man to death and talked to the corpse. he was everything the joker should be. that being said, there are other places to take the character that will better fit into nolans world and i look forward to seeing what ledger does with it. but jack is the joker for me.

nay though he's not dreadful, it's just jack being jack you know... I think Joker can go more insane than that.

Yay. I mean come on, he's still considered one of the best cinematic villains ever. 'Cept to you ungrateful *****es. :o
XCharlieX said:
The "Zany Joker" never ended. He might be a bit more psychotic now then he was before, but to be zany and cooky has - so far - always been apart of the character.

Id rather more cooky than zany for Nolans. Something more original.

So I repeat. Zany joker is done imo.

Jack Nicholson was a PERFECT Joker and it will be difficult to top his performance as The Clown Prince of Crime. Ever. Heath Ledger's a good actor but I doubt he can top JACK NICHOLSON!

JokerNichComparision.jpg

Big yes. He was excellent.

I'm sorry, but if the Joker was all business, he would look ridiculous. The psychotic, twisted, and humerous Joker is the best way to portray him.

I enjoyed Jack's portrayal of Joker very much, but that doesn't mean I don't believe Ledger can't pull it off. Unlike some, I am willing to wait before I judge his performance as compared to Nicholson's, to do otherwise is patently unfair.

Yay :up:

Nicholson rocked as the Joker. Ledger will be in his shadow for many fans, so I hope he can live up to expectations.

XCharlieX said:
Id rather more cooky than zany for Nolans. Something more original.

So I repeat. Zany joker is done imo.

i don't understand what you mean by zany. the character is a flamboyant sociopath who finds it extremely humorous when horrible things happen to people. so even if the joker is sicker in the next movie, killing folks left and right in creative way, he's still going to laugh his pasty ass off and be a little silly. because he's the joker.:joker:

cryptic name said:
i don't understand what you mean by zany. the character is a flamboyant sociopath who finds it extremely humorous when horrible things happen to people. so even if the joker is sicker in the next movie, killing folks left and right in creative way, he's still going to laugh his pasty ass off and be a little silly. because he's the joker.:joker:

^I feel the same

Nicholson was great, but he wasn't that Joker, which I wanted to see.

He was too old, not skinny, too zany and they just didn't explain his origin right.

anyway, it's difficult to top nicholson's joker. you can't see it just fanboyish, you have to admit jack nicholson IS the joker... and i'm kinda sad he can not play the clown prince of crime in TDK because it's a restart, so...

Anyone who goes up against nicholsons joker even remotely will fail.

You want to cut the zany out pretty much, and focus on his sick humor, less over the top laughing, more sick humor and creepy laughter imo, more business oriented, getting the job done, and less about his goofy gadgets and baloons. His attention comes more from his sick deeds imo and his reputation on the streets as Joker. Thats what I mean. Its all in the execution. He can look like a sick bastard like he should this time, or Krusty the clown. Its up to them.

instead of the stretchy gun, hed have a regular custom made handgun without bright wacky colors or such etc. This one should also have a sharp fashion sense. No clown ruffles or anything. Purple and white 3 piece suits and coordination etc would class him up. And some creepier face makeup.

Thats what id personally like to see.

CConn said:
Yay. I mean come on, he's still considered one of the best cinematic villains ever. 'Cept to you ungrateful *****es. :o
The "Zany Joker" never ended. He might be a bit more psychotic now then he was before, but to be zany and cooky has - so far - always been apart of the character.
:up: :up:

I never thought that he was insane enough. I thought more could have been done to show his insane and sadistic sense of humor. The movie got it right in two parts: when he electrocutes the guy and has a conversation with him and when he pulls out that huge gun to shoot down batman. It would have been better to see more of this. All in all I think the joker was too sane.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannnnman
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"