The Avengers Official Ant-Man Film Discussion Thread

marvel_freshman

Sidekick
Reaction score
We all know Iron Man, Thor, & Captain America, is on Marvel Studios's list, leading to the Avengers. Well the more less known, Ant-Man could be next for Marvel. The film already has a director in Edgar Wright.

Since there isn't an official forum for the film, I figured we could use a thread to discuss storylines, characters, costumes, and differnet well-needed, film titles.

Articles on official news for the film, are linked below.

http://www.superherohype.com/news/featuresnews.php?id=7525

http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=22141

Most recent:

http://www.superherohype.com/news/avengersnews.php?id=9061

There you have it. Post away
ant_man1-1.jpg

I really hope this movie gets made soon. Edgar Wright being in charge assures me it'll be good and it being made assures Antman (and possibly Wasp) will be in The Avengers.

Last edited:
It probably would have worked just fine to skip the solo movie and just introduce Hank and Jan in The Avengers movie. Glad to see that Edgar Wright is still attached if the solo movie is going forward, though.

I seem to recall a rumor that the Ant-Man script featured Scott Lang, though I expect that this would now be a Hank Pym movie so that it ties into Avengers more readily.

It had both Lang and Pym. It was about Lang stealing the helmet/Pym particles

Can't wait for this filck. Hope the supporting cast includes Janet and Bill Foster and that Pym shrinks as well as grows. They will probabley skip the part of Hanks origin with his first wife getting killed.

I wonder who the villain will be Ultron? Egghead? Whirlwind? A.I.M?

Ultron would be kinda big for an Antman origin film methinks.

I'd prefer if they use Ant-Man for Marvel's post-Avengers "second slate" of films. Perhaps a new team can be formed from Ant-Man, Wasp, Black Panther, Dr. Strange, and Iron Fist?

If they stick with the Pym and Lang story (which I kinda hope they don't, I'd rather have Hank in the Avengers), maybe the plot could be Pym creating Ultron in the past and Scott having to finish him off in the future.

The Pym and Lang story could still have Pym be in the Avengers, as Giant-Man after Lang "becomes" Ant-Man. Giant-Man fits the Avengers better than Ant-Man anyway, especially with Wasp already representing the "shrinking" team-member (if she's in it)

The Pym and Lang story could still have Pym be in the Avengers, as Giant-Man after Lang "becomes" Ant-Man. Giant-Man fits the Avengers better than Ant-Man anyway, especially with Wasp already representing the "shrinking" team-member (if she's in it)

Good point.

Earlier this week, fans of Marvel's insect-wrangling superhero Ant-Man received word that plans for a movie based on the character were indeed moving along, with Stan Lee announcing the project was a go and that he'd met with director Edgar Wright. Wright later confirmed his meeting with Lee.

So, with Wright's adaptation of "Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World" wrapped, the question now becomes: will the filmmaker turn his attention to Hank Pym next?

"I can’t do two things at once, so [now that 'Scott Pilgrim' is finished] I will return to doing another draft of that one," Wright told MTV News.

According to Wright, there's no timetable for the film, only the desire to come up with a good script to establish the character. We know the hero is on Marvel's movie wish list, but whether the scientist-turned-superhero will eventually have a place on the "Avengers" roster isn't a concern at this stage, he said.

"Because that character isn't one of their biggest properties, it’s not like a tentpole deadline," explained Wright. ""It’s more like me and Kevin [Feige] [saying], 'Let's make a really good script.' We've always agreed on that — 'Lets make a good script that works, that’s all about a great genre film, and that isn’t necessarily relying on anything else.'"

"It should be a great genre film, so that’s why I did a first draft," he said.

Wright also joked that Marvel's ambitious plans for Ant-Man and the rest of their characters are a subject he has to be very careful saying too much about — under penalty of death.

"I cannot confirm or deny anything," he laughed. "I’ll get killed. ... It's snipers, they’ll kill me!"

"Make sure you put that in there," he said. "The snipers will kill me."
SOURCE

That's good to hear. If there's one guy to handle a genre film, it's Edgar Wright. I'm glad they're not being bogged down by Avengers obligations and are focused on the character and the script all the way. It'll be interesting to see different superhero movie approaches, as Wright is very scripted dialogue-driven and Favreau is more loose and improv-driven.

While I would have liked this to come out before Avengers, I'll be happier if it's done right and it sounds like Wright is making sure that's being accomplished.

I think he's doing a bit of both. Pym & Lang. Oh and cannot wait for this film!

Hank Pym: Jason Bateman
pymbateman.jpg

Scott Lang: Simon Pegg
langpegg.jpg

Wasp: Michelle Monaghon
waspmonaghan.jpg

While I would have liked this to come out before Avengers, I'll be happier if it's done right and it sounds like Wright is making sure that's being accomplished.

If they could make that happen, I would probably **** in my pants (particularly if they've got good Wasp casting). I wouldn't mind them pushing back the Avengers for that to happen.

Hank Pym-Patrick Wilson
Wasp-Evangeline Lily
Scott Lang-Simon Baker

Disney’s Domain Name Purchase Hints at Possible Ant-Man Movie | /Film

Today it has been learned that Disney has purchased a new batch of internet domain names. The most interesting domain in the batch is a domain for an Ant-Man movie: ANT-MAN-THEMOVIE.COM. Now, this doesn’t confirm anything… but Disney doesn’t usually purchase domain names without reason. Looks like they are considering an Ant-Man movie.

When the Walt Disney Company announced they would be acquiring Marvel Entertainment, speculation began to run wild on which comic book properties Disney might tackle first. Disney doesn’t have rights to the comic properties in development at other studios like Spider-Man at Sony and X-Men at 20th Century Fox, and as of this second, Paramount still holds to rights to distribute up to five Marvel films, including: Iron Man 2, Thor, Captain America, The Avengers and possibly one more unannounced film. And on top of that, there are still existing deals in which other studios hold the big screen rights to certain characters. Most of the online world concluded that Ant-Man would probably be the most likely candidate. And when it was revealed that Pixar boss John Lasseter “talked to the Marvel guys” about collaborating on a feature, Ant-Man was at the top of the list.

Comic creator Stan Lee sent out some tweets earlier this month claiming that he has met with director Edgar Wright regarding an Ant-Man movie, which Marvel is “prepping”, according to Lee. Adding fuel to the fire, Wright tweeted about his dinner with Iron Man director and Avengers producer Jon Favreau a few days earlier. Of course, speculation again ramped up that the Ant-Man movie would go into production after Wright’s Scott Pilgrim vs. The World hit theaters this Summer. Wright responded to the speculation, telling MTV, “I can’t do two things at once, so [now that 'Scott Pilgrim' is finished] I will return to doing another draft of that one.”
The Other domains purchased by Disney hint at other projects the animation/feature film studio may or may not be working on:

• New Cars Toons: Lunar Mater (LUNARMATER.COM), Moon Mater (MOONMATER.COM) and Right Stuff Mater (RIGHTSTUFFMATER.COM), Mater Pi (MATERPI.COM) and Investigator Mater (INVESTIGATORMATER.COM)
  • DreamWorks Films:
    • Eat, Sleep, Poop (EATSLEEPPOOPMOVIE.COM)
    • Escape Artist (ESCAPEARTIST-MOVIE.COM)
    • Good Looking (GOODLOOKING-THEMOVIE.COM)
    • I Saw You (ISAWYOU-THEMOVIE.COM)
    • Nonstop (NONSTOP-MOVIE.COM)
    • Robopocalypse (ROBOPOCALYPSE-MOVIE.COM)
    • War Horse (WARHORSE-MOVIE.COM)
    • Wife vs. Ninja (WIFEVSNINJAMOVIE.COM)

• Possible Walt Disney Feature Films:
    • A True Story (ATRUESTORY-MOVIE.COM and ATRUESTORY-THEMOVIE.COM)
    • CA Rancho Film (CARANCHOFILM.COM), Classy Lady (CLASSYLADYMOVIE.COM)
    • Denver International Airport (DENVERINTERNATIONALAIRPORTMOVIE.COM)
    • Genneris (GENNERIS.COM and GENNERISMOVIE.COM)
    • Great Lengths (GREATLENGTHSMOVIE.COM)
    • Home Movies (HOMEMOVIES-THEMOVIE.COM)
    • Me Harmony (MEHARMONYMOVIE.COM)
    • Ra (RA-MOVIE.COM)
    • When the Trumpets Sound (WHENTHETRUMPETSSOUND.COM and WHENTHETRUMPETSSOUND-THEMOVIE.COM).
    • Other possible titles for Secretariat:
      • Taking the Crown (TAKINGTHECROWN.COM and TAKINGTHECROWNMOVIE.COM)
      • Triple Crown (TRIPLECROWNMOVIE.COM)

zz0b0d55df-550x412.jpg

You Beat me to it Freshman :hehe:

I really hope this movie gets made soon. Edgar Wright being in charge assures me it'll be good and it being made assures Antman (and possibly Wasp) will be in The Avengers.

I Hope so, Ant-Man was one of my top favorites as a Kid, I'm really hoping they manage to make this serious enough for film

Hank Pym-Patrick Wilson
Wasp-Evangeline Lily
Scott Lang-Simon Baker

Simon Baker would be awesome for Scott Lang. He even looks quite like the character and would seem smart enough. I don't know how people are thinking Simon Pegg fits the bill.

If Pym and Wasp make it into the Avengers movie, does this mean that even now, before any production has begun or a script has even been completed and he's ready to work on it, Edgar Wright has to start thinking of casting choices for his characters, so that there's some continuity between the Avengers and Ant-Man?

I don't think Wright will want just anyone to be cast, or to let Joss Whedon cast his own regulars, and then Wright will just have to work with those when his movie comes round. However, he would be in a unique situation where he's under pressure to have to think about his film ahead of time, which most directors never have to do.

Of course, since Scott Lang will be the main character and Pym the secondary one, that will ease things a bit, but he'll still have to make do with whoever is cast as Pym unless he decides to recast later (which won't uphold the continuity).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"