• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Paramount Pictures developing Sonic the Hedgehog movie

Something I didn't notice when I saw the movie yesterday.

A Chaos Emerald AND a neat little Sega Saturn reference.

Just got out of it. It was entertaining. Better than I expected. They need to ditch the human characters though if they do a sequel. It can be set on earth but just adapt Sonic Adventure 1/2 and ignore the family he is with.

Sonic without gloves would have been a bit weird, I don't think I've ever seen the Sonic characters without their gloves or indeed the likes of Mickey Mouse or Bugs Bunny.

I should have clarified that I meant the movie should've started with Sonic not having his gloves, like how he started without his shoes, then give him the gloves later, with the new shoes.

Off topic, but did anybody else get the trailer for Rumble? It's definitely a unique take on the kaiju thing.

Just got out of seeing it. I wasn't intending to really get much out of this but it was surprisingly better than I thought it would be. Jim Carrey is doing what he did 25 years ago and I loved every minute of it. :funny: It plays on some tropes we've already seen, but there's a nice underlying story about friendship that is earnest. It's not a film that's trying to talk down to its intended audience, nor does it over stay its welcome. A little over 90 mins is the perfect length for a film like this. I will say the one thing I would have liked to have seen is more action, more of Sonic doing Sonic things, I thought the final battle sequence was just a little too short and not nearly as action packed as I think it should have been. I suspect that has more to do with budget constraints more than anything else though, I think there are way more creative things that could be accomplished with this character on film. That said, there are some moments which clearly were influenced by X-Men that were well thought out and crafted. Hopefully they build on this with the success it's getting, and the little mid-credit scene set up a sequel nicely, the crowd was super excited when that scene happened, lol. Overall, this doesn't break any new ground, but it also doesn't feel like a waste of time, it feels earnest and even though it doesn't hit it out of the park entirely, it's clear those who did create this gave a **** about who the character they were dealing with was, which is more than what can be said for many movie franchises these days and the people who are making them. From an old SNES guy who got into many a playground argument with his SEGA friends, it's good to see the Hedgehog back in the spotlight.

6/10

I'll just add. This movie would never have worked with that other design. I cannot imagine myself liking this film to any degree with that previous monstrosity on screen.

They definitely saved the movie by fixing his design. It would've been a disaster. The public turned against the film.

As I've said in the past, Sonic's design is classic and iconic. It's culturally ingrained. His design is sacrosanct. This character is like Mickey Mouse, Charlie Brown, Snoopy, or Bugs Bunny. You can't just liberally mess around with a design like that.

I imagine they felt since this was a live action movie Sonic needed to look "real." LIke he could really exist on Earth and ditch the more cartoon character elements. The designers for Sonic took cues from Mickey Mouse for the original games.

What I dislike about Hollywood when they make adaptations, artists are so arrogant that they think it's important to fix what isn't broken and improve on perfection. They have to leave their own mark and take on things.

100%. You can look at something like BoP as a text book example of people thinking they knew better than the source material, except I don't think it was arrogance in this case. I think it was simply a misjudgment about what they thought they needed to do, because as terrible as that original design was, it's still clearly trying to be Sonic the Hedgehog. I can easily see them originally thinking they had to somehow justify this character working in the real world. I think ultimately what ended up happening is they simply overthought the whole thing, and it wasn't until that first trailer hit that they realised it. People don't care for that level of realism for certain characters. They are willing to suspend disbelief for a film like Roger Rabbit or Space Jam, people know ahead of time the type of characters these are, so there's no point in trying to explain why or design a way for them to exist. Saying Sonic is an alien is pretty much all you need to do.

Just a thought also, I don't know what the rights situation is for the entire back catalogue of Sega games, but given Sonics rings give him the ability to move between worlds if ever there was a path laid out for a Sega movie universe and some type of big cross over movie they've got an obvious one to use.

Got back from the film and had a jolly good time.

There was a lot of good heart to this. And honestly I liked Tom and Maddie. Hell I thought Maddie was underused.

Also Crazy Carl and his Chain Saw XD

This was a good GENESIS to start off a franchise. Are there things they can do better? Absolutely. But I feel invested in where things go from here.

8.5/10 from me.

Sweet dreams everyone!

I do feel sorry for all these people who put all this work into doing this original design, I know they would have put in many hours creating this stand-in as well as numerous other creative tasks related to the original idea, but the truth is it would have failed had they gone through with it. That first design really should never have left the concept sketch phase. No doubt many of them would have felt completely disheartened after the reaction to the first trailer, it would have soul crushing walking into work the Monday morning after because regardless of the type of movie it is no-one goes into this line of work wanting to create something bad. Any creative person knows the feeling when you do a really good job at something only for it to not to be received as you hoped. It sucks and can easily lead to self doubt. I hope they take solace in the fact that the extra work they put into this paid off and will now be remembered. It's not their fault the first design was approved, and they deserve all the credit for rallying to make it better. True artists will do whatever it takes to do the best they can, and everyone involved with this did exactly that. Well done to all. :)

Last edited:
I do feel sorry for all these people who put all this work into doing this original design, I know they would have put in many hours creating this stand-in as well as numerous other creative tasks related to the original idea, but the truth is it would have failed had they gone through with it. That first design really should never have left the concept sketch phase. No doubt many of them would have felt completely disheartened after the reaction to the first trailer, it would have soul crushing walking into work the Monday morning after because regardless of the type of movie it is no-one goes into this line of work wanting to create something bad. Any creative person knows the feeling when you do a really good job at something only for it to not to be received as you hoped. It sucks and can easily lead to self doubt. I hope they take solace in the fact that they extra work they put into this paid off and will now be remembered. It's not their fault the first design was approved, and they deserve all the credit for rallying to make it better. True artists will do whatever it takes to do the best they can, and everyone involved with this did exactly that. Well done to all. :)
I agree completely. But boy are those images terrifying.

Great numbers for Sonic and I'm honestly rooting for it's success here on out. The director, the cast, the crew and Paramount have earned it IMO and I don't say that often.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritayo
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"