Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides - Part 2

Lol, with this design Jolly Roger can be one great POTC villain:
684c64107ece2049.jpg

Yeah, I have wanted him in a movie since I saw that design. I think he would make a good supernatural villian. The weapon on his right arm has a steampunk vibe to it, and I wouldn't mind a bit of steam punk in pirates. Nothing crazy, but maybe a villian who uses it.

That was no doubt the most beautifull shot in On Stranger Tides
9501635befc527cd.jpg

684c64107ece2049.jpg

Whoa, I've never seen this before. I thought a Jolly Roger was just a pirate flag, I didn't know that he was in fact a pirate. This would be an incredible villain in the next pirate movie. Very cool

^Historically, Jolly Roger is not a Pirate. Just in the Pirates of the Caribbean EU(such as the video game).

I just saw this and I'm on the fence with it. I loved Barbossa's development and character in the movie. I would have preferred a new crew for Captain Jack been a bit better developed. Blackbeard didn't really strike me as all that evil a pirate--Barbossa seemed the greater evil, with his bombing of the Port in COTBP.

I also liked the atmosphere of the pub where Jack and Teague had their meeting, and the use of the Squirmy King British and the Spanish.

I give this one a 7/10. It was the low point of the series for me. AWE still holds #1 for me.

scored the 7 disc blu ray trilogy of POTC for 38 bucks shipped from amazon.com just got it in the mail yesterday :awesome:!

A bit late in getting to this, but I finally saw it.

Overall, I felt pretty much the way most people have about this. Better the the last two, but not as good as the first. I would have been much happier with this series had this been the second film we got instead of the past two.

I was surprisingly pleased with Jack as the lead. I was cautious of this, simply because I didn't know how he'd play as a lead character, he certainly hadn't intended to be one. But he was refreshing actually. A change from the normal leading man you usually see, and I personally hope they keep centering the films around Jack. It works much better the the way the past two films played out.

Overall, a fun action/adventure flick. I'd give it a 7.5 out of 10.

im so disappointed with the blu-ray cover...the 5 disc edition (just ridiculous) has the good cover which falls in line with the other films covers...but the regular 2-disc blu-ray has just jack standing by himself....how lame? especially considering they re-released the first 3 in such a nice set and they cant even continue the look so they match...i hate when they dont match...lol

The wife and I just spent a week in Disney World and they've semi-updated the Pirates ride, for anyone wondering. After DMC and AWE they added Jack to the ride and a cool intro with a projection of Davy Jones on some smoke. After OST they changed Davy Jones to Blackbeard. It was pretty cool seeing Blackbeard again, even though I couldn't really hear what he was saying...

They also have an AWESOME little show starring Jack Sparrow out in the park. He and another pirate are "recruiting" for Jack's crew and they grab a bunch of kids and teach them to sword fight and, more importantly, to flee. It was really cool and the kids were having a blast. That, and the Jack Sparrow impersonator we saw was incredible. Looked exactly like Johnny, sounded like him, same mannerisms, and everything. Top notch!

Here's a picture we snapped of the Pirates show. The other pirate isn't supposed to be Gibbs, but a Gibbs-like character.

Poor Jack, it was like 100 degrees that day and really humid. I was sweating buckets and I was just in shorts and a t-shirt. He did a great job

I need to go to Disney/ Universal again. So far a Simpsons ride, Harry Potter world, and Jack Sparrow have been added.

im so disappointed with the blu-ray cover...the 5 disc edition (just ridiculous) has the good cover which falls in line with the other films covers...but the regular 2-disc blu-ray has just jack standing by himself....how lame? especially considering they re-released the first 3 in such a nice set and they cant even continue the look so they match...i hate when they dont match...lol

I know it might seem like a minor nitpick but I really like the other covers. Having only Jack on it makes it seem dull.

They also had an Angelica for the opening weekend of the movie. They're thinking of keeping her full time.

I was wondering if anyone can help this poor clown out? Im interested in making a Jack Sparrow costume and was wondering if anyone knew of any good costuming sites or Jack Sparrow groups that could help in costume development? Oi! Anybody?

Depp Officially In Talks For Pirates 5
Yes, look shocked...

06 July 2011 | Source: The Wrap

Given the success of the Pirates of the Caribbean franchise so far – including the fact that On Stranger Tides just sailed across the $1 billion mark at the global box office – it was only a matter of time before Disney started to turn up the heat on another instalment. The script has been underway for a while now, and though Pirates anchor Johnny Depp has said he wants to take a little time in between movies again, he’s apparently now in the early stages of a deal to return for the fifth outing.

Yes, it should really surprise no one, but before the fourth film arrived, Depp was talking up how it would depend on the script and how much he wanted to let the series rest in dry dock to let audiences breathe. But despite fairly scathing reviews for Stranger Tides, it’s become yet another cash cow, so naturally work is really getting started for more Sparrow time.

According to The Wrap, a rough draft of the script is in (from, we assume, franchise veteran Terry Rossio, since he was the one hired in January to start work on it) and producer Jerry Bruckheimer and co are said to have been in fevered meetings getting it to a point where Depp will say yes. From the sounds of this, he’s happy enough to at least start figuring out a deal.

As to when the movie itself will actually shoot? That’s anyone’s guess right now, since Depp will be busy on The Lone Ranger for a while this year and may still stick to the idea that he’ll wait a couple of years before setting sail again. Bet Disney and Bruckheimer will be trying to convince him to step aboard as soon as possible…

http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=31404

I'm sure Disney would like to get this into theaters Summer 2013 and shoot right after Depp is finished shooting Lone Ranger. It really depends on Depp and what he'd like to do after that.

And Depp made $350 million from the franchise so far. Wow, that's a lot of money. :wow:

I was hoping that they don't hurry up for the fifth movie and that it'd best if we have to wait for the fifth movie as long as for On Stranger Tides but I guess not with this news and the fact that the fourth movie has crossed the billion mark.

Add to the fact that Depp will be 50 in two years time, he probably realizes he won't be able to do a lot of the action if he waits another 4-5 years. Then again, Ford was 65 when he played Indiana Jones again.

wasn't there an actor (one of Depps inspiration for jack sparrow) that was interested in replacing him?

wasn't there an actor (one of Depps inspiration for jack sparrow) that was interested in replacing him?

Depp's inspirations for Sparrow are Keith Richards, cartoon character Pepé Le Pew and to a lesser extent Tuco from The Good, the Bad and the Ugly played by Eli Wallach. Both Richards and Wallach are very old now.

Last edited:
Nice to bring this thread back as we literally just saw this movie over the 4th. Better late than never? I admit after the bad taste of the other two pirate sequels I was not in a hurry to see this, but it's nice to see Disney finally taking the material back in the right direction of the first film. My belated thoughts:

This movie was a huge improvement over the third film. Mind you that is one of the worst sequels of all time, IMO. Overall the pacing of the movie is a huge improvement over the last two. At 2 hours, as opposed to 2.5 to 3 hours, it has a nice snappy pace. It felt like a swashbuckler and not a light entertainment having faulty ambitions like the last two. However, I'm not sure if it's any better than DMC. While I appreciated the tone of adventure and Indiana Jones-styling of this movie (complete with an ending straight out of IJATLC), it didn't have any really jaw dropping set pieces like the first two (even the typhoon fight in the terrible third film, I'll admit was visually dazzling). The second movie had the epic three way sword fight on the giant wheel and sinking beach, it had the amazing Kraken attacks (though after the third go it became redundant, returning to my complaint of the earlier sequels feeling bloated and indulgent), even the Cannibal Island stuff was more fun than any set piece in OST. Also, while I really like Ian McShane and thought he was a fine Blackbeard, he lacked the charisma of Davy Jones (and that was more for Bill Nigh's bombastic performance than ILM's impressive but distracting CGI).

Overall though this particular movie was a fun escape. I enjoyed Depp's innuendos with Cruz, Barbossa as a privateer for His Majesty's Navy, the mermaids/sirens seductive attack. The big finale at the Fountain of Youth was hugely entertaining. I especially loved when the Spainards got there and destroyed the Fountain in the name of Catholicism. It was so unexpected, but so historically believable I LOL'd quite loudly. That may have been my favorite part of the film.

In the end, it was an enjoyable film, but nowhere near as memorable or fun as the first movie. But it's in the right direction. If I had one recommendation is get someone else to write the next one. Jack Sparrow worked so well in the first movie because he was written like a dashing, mischievous pirate that Depp played brilliantly eccentric. By trying to write him as eccentric as the performance he loses his mystique as a pirate and becomes a cartoon.

7/10

P.S. I didn't stay after the credits did they explain what happened to the Chaplain after the Mermaid kissed him? All I saw was that she swam off with him under the pool. How did she save his life? Did she turn him into a mermaid? I feel like I missed something.

Nice to bring this thread back as we literally just saw this movie over the 4th. Better late than never? I admit after the bad taste of the other two pirate sequels I was not in a hurry to see this, but it's nice to see Disney finally taking the material back in the right direction of the first film. My belated thoughts:

This movie was a huge improvement over the third film. Mind you that is one of the worst sequels of all time, IMO. Overall the pacing of the movie is a huge improvement over the last two. At 2 hours, as opposed to 2.5 to 3 hours, it has a nice snappy pace. It felt like a swashbuckler and not a light entertainment having faulty ambitions like the last two. However, I'm not sure if it's any better than DMC. While I appreciated the tone of adventure and Indiana Jones-styling of this movie (complete with an ending straight out of IJATLC), it didn't have any really jaw dropping set pieces like the first two (even the typhoon fight in the terrible third film, I'll admit was visually dazzling). The second movie had the epic three way sword fight on the giant wheel and sinking beach, it had the amazing Kraken attacks (though after the third go it became redundant, returning to my complaint of the earlier sequels feeling bloated and indulgent), even the Cannibal Island stuff was more fun than any set piece in OST. Also, while I really like Ian McShane and thought he was a fine Blackbeard, he lacked the charisma of Davy Jones (and that was more for Bill Nigh's bombastic performance than ILM's impressive but distracting CGI).

Overall though this particular movie was a fun escape. I enjoyed Depp's innuendos with Cruz, Barbossa as a privateer for His Majesty's Navy, the mermaids/sirens seductive attack. The big finale at the Fountain of Youth was hugely entertaining. I especially loved when the Spainards got there and destroyed the Fountain in the name of Catholicism. It was so unexpected, but so historically believable I LOL'd quite loudly. That may have been my favorite part of the film.

In the end, it was an enjoyable film, but nowhere near as memorable or fun as the first movie. But it's in the right direction. If I had one recommendation is get someone else to write the next one. Jack Sparrow worked so well in the first movie because he was written like a dashing, mischievous pirate that Depp played brilliantly eccentric. By trying to write him as eccentric as the performance he loses his mystique as a pirate and becomes a cartoon.

7/10

P.S. I didn't stay after the credits did they explain what happened to the Chaplain after the Mermaid kissed him? All I saw was that she swam off with him under the pool. How did she save his life? Did she turn him into a mermaid? I feel like I missed something.

After the credits you see Angelica setting on the beach and the voodoo doll of Jack washes up on shore. Angelica smiles maliciously and the screen cuts to black.

Now there be some remours Hans Zimmer don't whant more mabey it is a idea to ask Klaus Badelt back mabey with Harry Gregson-Williams if it should be 2. Last week i finaly saw the first POTC and i think the music whas great.

Who should compose POTC 5 & 6 ??

Other sugestions:

Harry Gregson-Williams (Narnia 1&2, Shrek 1-4, Prince of Persia)
James Newton Howard (King Kong 2005, Batman Begins & TDK with Hans Zimmer)
David Arnold (Various Bond scores, Independence Day, Godzilla, Narnia 3)
Bryan Tyler (Children of Dune, The Fast and the Furious 3-5)
Alexandre Desplat (Harry Potter 7&8, The Ghost Writer)
Patrick Doyle (Harry Potter 4)
Nicholas Hooper (Harry Potter 5&6)
John Williams (Harry Potter 3 is Williams his best score ever.)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"