Playstation Now

Eh, I think the prices are fine right now, at least the extended ones. The 4 hour pricing is absurd, though, like legit crazy. But paying 6-7 bucks for a week with a game is not that bad.

Agreed. That's around what it used to cost to rent games for a week back in the day. Not sure what the problem is.

The week long prices are the only ones that are reasonable. The 90 day option and 4 hour options shouldn't even exist. Sony just needs to set the standard for pricing and not let the developers/publishers do it like they are now. A service like this needs consistency.

Sony is working on doing that. I think that's the biggest reason why they turned down EA Access because of their plans to do the same with PlayStation Now.

I don't see why they couldn't have just said yes to EA access and then offered both to their consumers.

I don't see why they couldn't have just said yes to EA access and then offered both to their consumers.

I don't get why people keep bringing up EA Access in the same breath as Now. The two services are completely different Access doesn't infringe on Now as the two even if they co-existed wouldn't overlap. Now is a streaming service that allows PS3 (and later PS1/PS2) games to ru on a variety of devices and Access is a download service which only lets you play games on the system where said games originate. The libraries between Now and Access on the PS4 would be completely different for that very reason and the way the companies approach pricing would have to be different bc of the limited library that EA has and bc of the streaming costs with Now. Everything about how they approached is different and its bc the services are fundamentally different.

A more accurate comparison would be Access with Plus and in this case, the content and benefits do overlap. The library of games to download, discounts, trials, early access to some material, etc...is way more comparable than Now. I think both launching their betas at the same time is what has people clouded

Last edited:
I don't get why people keep bringing up EA Access in the same breath as Now. The two services are completely different Access doesn't infringe on Now as the two even if they co-existed wouldn't overlap. Now is a streaming service that allows PS3 (and later PS1/PS2) games to ru on a variety of devices and Access is a download service which only lets you play games on the system where said games originate. The libraries between Now and Access on the PS4 would be completely different for that very reason and the way the companies approach pricing would have to be different bc of the limited library that EA has and bc of the streaming costs with Now. Everything about how they approached is different and its bc the services are fundamentally different.

A more accurate comparison would be Access with Now and in this case, the content and benefits do overlap. The library of games to download, discounts, trials, early access to some material, etc...is way more comparable than Now. I think both launching their betas at the same time is what has people clouded

because they're both gaming subscription services. And no, it's not at all like XBLGold or PsPlus because the main thing about those subscriptions is that they let you play online.

And everything you just said... only makes it seem like it would have made more sense for Sony TO have said yes and offered EA Acces and PsNow to their consumer.

because they're both gaming subscription services. And no, it's not at all like XBLGold or PsPlus because the main thing about those subscriptions is that they let you play online.

And everything you just said... only makes it seem like it would have made more sense for Sony TO have said yes and offered EA Acces and PsNow to their consumer.
Wrong. One of the very complaints in this thread is that Now is NOT a subscription service. Its a rental service with no subscription component at all

PS Plus existed for YEARS without an online requirement. Its main attraction from day one has been the library of games it offers, which is not unlike EA Access

But they're going to add in a subscription component to it eventually.

Any word on when more games will hit Now? Currently the selection is a f'ing joke.

But they're going to add in a subscription component to it eventually.
they are looking into it but thats not what Now is now. Both services will eventually improve and implement new things when they get out of beta. I can only judge and compare based on what they presently are and as it stays Now is only a rental with no subscription model

Because the offerings of just one publisher is absurd. Let EA Access fail and eventually their titles will come to PlayStation Now. If EA Access succeeds, it'll most likely lead to other AAA publishers to develop their own subscription services and deprive PlayStation Now of some much needed titles.

Wrong. One of the very complaints in this thread is that Now is NOT a subscription service. Its a rental service with no subscription component at all

PS Plus existed for YEARS without an online requirement. Its main attraction from day one has been the library of games it offers, which is not unlike EA Access

okay fine BUT, PsNow would be a more attractive offer if it WAS a subscription service which it is kinda marketed to be. In fact it was talked about as being the netflix of gaming, specifically playstation gaming and if they do THAT, THAT would be awesome.

Because the offerings of just one publisher is absurd. Let EA Access fail and eventually their titles will come to PlayStation Now. If EA Access succeeds, it'll most likely lead to other AAA publishers to develop their own subscription services and deprive PlayStation Now of some much needed titles.

EA access is not going to fail. If anything, PsNow is going to fail.

PSNow will not fail. They'll just wake up from their dream, realize there are not enough dumbasses around to pay the crazy amount of cash they are demanding for their service, and then lower the costs and might offer it for the same $30 subscription fee as EA Access.

EA access is not going to fail. If anything, PsNow is going to fail.
EA Access will fail simply because it's one publisher behind it on only one platform. If a subscription service succeeds it needs multiple publishers and be multiplatform (or at least be a service provided by Sony or Microsoft).

EA Access will fail simply because it's one publisher behind it on only one platform. If a subscription service succeeds it needs multiple publishers and be multiplatform (or at least be a service provided by Sony or Microsoft).

I don't think it needs to be multiplatform to succeed, because by that logic then PsNow already failed. Anyways I thought Sony was TRYING to make a flat rate for PsNow instead of coming up with rental prices

True. For those bringing up the Netflix analogies, well this would be like Netflix ONLY offering movies from only Fox. Even Sony's music/video services offer more than just their own studios bc limiting something like that to just one is a recipe for disaster

EA access won't fail.. Odd that people on the internet WANT it to.. but it won't.

Now will fizzle out within three years. Sony's terrible at supporting things that aren't instant successes. It'll still be there but I doubt it gets much content after a few years time.

Sony just needs the sense to turn PSNow into the Netflix of gaming. With their rich backlog of games, I don't see why it wouldn't thrive. It's just their ludicrous pricing that holds it back.

IF they remove the 4 hour pricing or at least make all games $1 for 4 hours and keep the week&90 day deals plus add a free game rental for PS Plus subscribers then I'd be cool with that.

The game selection right now is not too bad but some major AAA titles would sure be nice,IF they had some Batman Arkham or Uncharted games I'd consider buying a PSN card to rent them

I think keep the 4 hours but introduce new PS4 games for people to test out. Basically like what people did back in the Blockbuster days. Rent a game for a while to try it out and if you like it you go out and buy it. (yes I know some just kept renting and renting until they beat it...but a lot of people rented games just to try them out before they bought them)

Was Now ever really marketed as a Netflix-esque streaming service? I really don't recall it ever being refered to as that.

EA access won't fail.. Odd that people on the internet WANT it to.. but it won't.

Now will fizzle out within three years. Sony's terrible at supporting things that aren't instant successes. It'll still be there but I doubt it gets much content after a few years time.

Was Now ever really marketed as a Netflix-esque streaming service? I really don't recall it ever being refered to as that.

Well seeing as how they were really showing off the fact that PsNow can be used as an app on almost ANY device... I'd say yes, it's being marketed as the Netflix of gaming.

The chubby youtube dude boogiew/e has been calling it that as well.

Having an app or some random YouTuber called boogie talk about really makes me think of a Netflix thing. Amazon has an app available everywhere, but it's much more of a rental service than a streaming network.

I may be wrong, but I don't really remember Sony talking about Now in those terms. I don't recall there being a lot of actual details about Now until the beta was unveiled.

If they don't treat it as the Netflix of gaming, then they can kiss their service good bye. It simply won't take off. Either make it a monthly subscription fee for a reasonable price, or reduce the pricing drastically. Why rent a game for $4-5, for only 4 hours, when I can rent it from a video store for half of their asking price and get to play it for a whole day? Or why pay $39.99 to rent a game for 90 days, when I can buy the game for the same price, own it forever, and then be able to re-sell it, if I'm sick of it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"