Playstation Now

but is gamefly streaming or physical? when ps now was first revealed everybody wanted to think of it literally as "the netflix of video games" and if that's what it becomes it does have a chance of success.

its physical but you are comparing apples to oranges when you bring Netflix into this bc the content offered is different. Games are inherently more expensive. You as a gamer arent going to go to Netflix to rent games; its gamefly or your local outlets, with Gamefly being the biggest chain for this

This is what PlayStation Now should have been from the get-go

its physical but you are comparing apples to oranges when you bring Netflix into this bc the content offered is different. Games are inherently more expensive. You as a gamer arent going to go to Netflix to rent games; its gamefly or your local outlets, with Gamefly being the biggest chain for this

Well me being the avid enough gamer that I am, am not even interested in PsNow but as a "streaming" service I'm sure to dozens of others, netflix came to mind.

right at 3:20 this guy who has a prominent youtube channel said when it was first announced, ps now sounded to him like "the netflix of gaming"

Well me being the avid enough gamer that I am, am not even interested in PsNow but as a "streaming" service I'm sure to dozens of others, netflix came to mind.

right at 3:20 this guy who has a prominent youtube channel said when it was first announced, ps now sounded to him like "the netflix of gaming"

Okay? That doesnt change the facts though. One can try to compare the price against Netflix but the content is different. That would be like a person trying to lease a car and comparing it to the price of a tv lease, when that would be ridiculous bc despite both being leases, you are dealing with two different types of products. I get that people wanted a subscription like Netflix has and now this thing will. However the two streaming services do not have overlapping content to directly compare to so its moot to even compare the costs

Okay? That doesnt change the facts though. One can try to compare the price against Netflix but the content is different. That would be like a person trying to lease a car and comparing it to the price of a tv lease, when that would be ridiculous bc despite both being leases, you are dealing with two different types of products. I get that people wanted a subscription like Netflix has and now this thing will. However the two streaming services do not have overlapping content to directly compare to so its moot to even compare the costs
I see what you're trying to say here, but I don't think the dichotomy is as wildly different as the prices of a TV and a car.

The similarities here are that both are streaming services on your television, and sony is trying to do it at a flat rate price. Since netflix is so popular, it is natural for consumers to expect something similar with p.snow.

It's obviously going to be more expensive, but for now I don't really have an interest in the thing especially now that we have to pay to play online.

As someone who never had a PS3 and is greatly looking forward to finally getting the opportunity to play some of these games, these prices don't seem too bad to me at all. I mean, $45 for 3 months access to all of these games. If I'd owned a PS3 and paid $50 each for Uncharted and Arkham City (the two I'm dying to play), I doubt I'd have played them for that long anyway.

but is gamefly streaming or physical? when ps now was first revealed everybody wanted to think of it literally as "the netflix of video games" and if that's what it becomes it does have a chance of success.

The problem with that is that it was never really compared with Netflix. A lot of people just assumed that. It doesn't matter if some random YouTube guy thought it was or not, we never really had indication that's what it'd be.

But it is good that there's a subscription service now. I think that's the only way Now could've been successful.

The problem with that is that it was never really compared with Netflix. A lot of people just assumed that. It doesn't matter if some random YouTube guy thought it was or not, we never really had indication that's what it'd be.

But it is good that there's a subscription service now. I think that's the only way Now could've been successful.

well it's not really a problem in the first place, but i'm pretty sure it was eventually compared to netflix... maybe it was not thought of by every single person who plays playstation games, but that's not what i'm saying either. when the idea of ps now was revealed eventually the mental comparison to netflix was made. anyways, that dude isn't some random YouTube guy, his channel is quite prominent for video games.

and yeah, I think sony's best bet is to make psnow a streaming service. having timed rental fees especially for their beta prices, is really stupid.

Prominent YouTube guy is still just a YouTube guy to me.

I fell like 20 a month is a lot. I mean its bascily to rent games. Back when there used to be like block busters and stuff to rent a game was what like $6. So that would be like retting 3 games a month. Who is going to rent 3 games a month? I almost ever rent a game has I buy games.

I fell like 20 a month is a lot. I mean its bascily to rent games. Back when there used to be like block busters and stuff to rent a game was what like $6. So that would be like retting 3 games a month. Who is going to rent 3 games a month? I almost ever rent a game has I buy games.

You can still do the weekly option on a per game basis. That has less value as its limited to one game, but its less expensive up front and more in line with this Block Buster analogy, you pose

If PSN is down, would that mean psNow is also down? I'd be curious to give the subscription a shot on a psTV if it were it's own separate network but not if it's gonna have the same reliablity as PSN.

If they start including PS2 and PS1 games, this is actually one hell of a deal.

I have no problem with the pricing. In 3 months, I could beat 6+ single player campaigns. That's not bad for $45. The library could obviously use some work though. If they add Dragon's Dogma or Shadow of the Colossus, I'd be in day one. I've been wanting to play the latter on my big screen for years. I was playing Shadow on a 20something inch tube tv when it came out. Playing it on my 60" flat screen with my soundbar would be epic.

Looks like SotC will be available day 1 but I can't be since it's only launching on PS4 for the time being. I'll give the library a look once it comes available to psTV.

Last edited:
Reading the comments on the official playstation blog is kind of obnoxious. People just seem so entitled.

"Not $10 a month?!!?!?"
"20% discount for Plus subscribers!!!11"
"I don't wanna pay if I already have the disc!!!!!###!#*****"

Games aren't movies and this isn't the PS Store. These are games you don't have to download/install, can jump in and out of and play on several devices, including mobile down the line. Your previous purchase 2+ years ago has no bearing on this service.

Reading the comments on the official playstation blog is kind of obnoxious. People just seem so entitled.

"Not $10 a month?!!?!?"
"20% discount for Plus subscribers!!!11"
"I don't wanna pay if I already have the disc!!!!!###!#*****"

Games aren't movies and this isn't the PS Store. These are games you don't have to download/install, can jump in and out of and play on several devices, including mobile down the line. Your previous purchase 2+ years ago has no bearing on this service.

well I haven't seen the comments myself, I'm sure their obnoxious like you're suggesting because their frustration is not without merit. Playing online for free was one of the best things about PlayStation, and now on top of that if someone the most PlayStation experience in their life there's PsNow.

it doesn't really concern me, I'm just saying. it's not like what they're saying is coming outta nowhere.

Or just combine PS Now with PS Plus and raise the prices of Plus I don't know there must be a better solution for this. And now with PS Vue launching soon I wonder how much that will cost users...

Maybe give PS Now users a free rental for a month? From select games, that is.

You would think that PS Plus users would get some kind of discount.
Its still in beta. Im sure there will be some promotional offers at some point in the future

Or just combine PS Now with PS Plus and raise the prices of Plus I don't know there must be a better solution for this. And now with PS Vue launching soon I wonder how much that will cost users...

Not gonna happen. Not everyone wants Now so it would be a foolish move to incorporate it into Plus and force a price increase for all

Sony is finally talking about PS1/PS2 games, something they havent done since this was announced

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/playstation-now-ps1-ps2-games-part-of-longer-term-/1100-6424569/

"There are some amazing games for PS1 and PS2 and our longer term vision is to go back further into the PlayStation generational library and offer those with PlayStation Now," the streaming service's Director of Marketing Peter Jamshidi said in response to a question from a reader on the PlayStation Blog. "Right now however, we are focused on bringing to users experiences from the amazing PS3 library."

Subscription service starts tomorrow. Totally pisses me off though that it's only for the PS4 and not the PSTV. I see no reason why it shouldn't launch on both devices. It's just maddening the lack of support Sony gives to it's peripherals. The Move, Vita and now the PSTV.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"