The Amazing Spider-Man Raimi wants Dunst back, hasn't firmly decided on villain(s) yet

Chewy

REDACTED
Reaction score
IGN caught up with Spider-Man helmer Sam Raimi today at the SXSW Film Festival to discuss his new horror film Drag Me to Hell, and while chatting with the director, we couldn't help but slip in a couple of questions about a certain webslinger.

According to Raimi, he has yet to decide on the villain for Spider-Man 4, though he has firmer plans for the film's love interest.

"Right now, I'm working with the production team," he explained. "I'm in the earliest stages of working with the writer, trying to work out a story."

He added, "We're closing in on Spider-Man's adversary or adversaries... but I think Sony is going to want to release the Spider-Man announcements themselves."

When asked if Mary Jane Watson or Gwen Stacy would take centre stage in terms of romance, Raimi was a little more forthcoming.

"I'm hoping that Kirsten [Dunst, who plays Mary-Jane] will be in it, but we're still talking about that," he revealed. "Definitely, she's got to be in it. It wouldn't be the Spider-Man series without her."

So there you have it -- Mary Jane the likely love interest, while we have to wait a little longer to find out who web-head will be fighting. Spider-Man 4 is released on May 6, 2011, and look our for our Drag Me to Hell review tomorrow.
SOURCE

Wow, if he has not decided on his villains yet, I wonder what they were doing with Mickey Rourke?

He doesn't indicate at all if Gwen is going to be in this one. Just that he definitely wants MJ, which was a given anyway. I hope Gwen returns. Bryce was a ray of sunshine as Gwen in the drab SM-3.

I thought Dunst was all board about coming back?

I just hope she has her **** together, cause you could tell she was in a bad place these past few years and her addiction took a toll on her looks.

Anyone read this: http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=53723

It seems to knock the making a 4th and 5th movie back to back rumour on the head:
Raimi says that he and the production team are "in the earliest stages of working with the writer, trying to work out a story." He added that they are just working on the fourth installment and not also a fifth film. Previous reports had claimed that Sony Pictures would be making the fourth and fifth movies at the same time, but that doesn't appear to be the case.

^ Yeah, that comes from SplashPage. That interview also gives an entirely different impression, that Raimi knows exactly who the villain(s) is/are.

With the recent announcement of the “Spider-Man 4” release date (May 6, 2011), what once just seemed to be a great pie-in-the-sky idea that might never happen is now even more a tangible reality. Director Sam Raimi and Tobey Maguire are locked in, the story is being fleshed out and so fans are dying to know: where will the Peter Parker story take us next and what will be the villains that he has to face?

For those answers we’ll have to keep waiting a little while longer. Raimi is keeping it all very close to the vest, but did reveal to us that the ideas and concepts are only looking forward to the fourth “Spider-Man” film and right now, a larger roadmap for the fifth film is not being charted out. He also said fans should expect to see the stories take place firmly within the Marvel Universe created by Stan Lee and not any inventions outside the familiar comic book storylines.

“The writers, producers and I are working out what the story will be, but we haven’t been talking in terms of Part 4 and 5.” Raimi told MTV News. “I’ve read that [about 'Spider-Man 5’] also, but right now we’re just working on the story for ‘Spider-Man 4,’ just that one film.

“We’re definitely talking about working from all the material in the comic books and nothing [invented] outside of that, “Raimi continued. “All the characters or villains or villains, whatever we decide to do will be from Stan Lee’s creations or those that came after him.”

Note that twice in our interview Raimi said “villain or villains” plural and said, “I do have a pretty good idea, but I’m just not a liberty to say yet,” adding that Sony wants to carefully plan out when they announce the antagonist or antagonists to the fans.

While both Raimi and Kirsten Dunst have both expressed interest in her returning as Peter Parker’s unattainable girlfriend Mary Jane Watson, the filmmaker says he’s currently unsure of her participation status and he’s not privy to those negotiations.

Asked whether the story could be written for another love interest in the “Spider-Man” comics if Dunst didn’t sign for whatever reason, Raimi seemed to be dismayed at the very notion.

“I can’t imagine making a ‘Spider-Man’ movie without Kirsten,” he said, seemingly contemplating the idea in his head with a long pause. “Of course it can be done because Spider Man has existed without the character of Mary-Jane but she’s one of my favorite parts and it would be a shame not to have her in the picture. I’m hoping she’ll be in it and I’m planning on having a story with her in it.”

SOURCE

^ Yeah, that comes from SplashPage. That interview also gives an entirely different impression, that Raimi knows exactly who the villain(s) is/are.

SOURCE
Pretty cool! I still think they will make a 5th one though, even if it's not filmed back to back.

I hope Raimi will acknowledge that SM3 wasn't that great a film, and he'll consciously try to get back to the winning formula of SM1 & 2. After TDK raising the stake of superhero movies, I don't want Spider-man to continue its campiness like the emo Parker.

Well fortunately for us I don't think the Emo Peter will return because the symbiote is no longer with him.

...well for now I guess.

How many times has this guy "talked" about 'Spider-Man'? Honestly. Three or five times?... He's pretty much mentioned the same ---- so-and-so many times. JESUS CHRIST, CONFIRM SOMETHING YOU BUMBLING IMBECILE; VILLAIN, SIMPLE SYNOPSIS, SOMETHING!!!

How many times has this guy "talked" about 'Spider-Man'? Honestly. Three or five times?... He's pretty much mentioned the same ---- so-and-so many times. JESUS CHRIST, CONFIRM SOMETHING YOU BUMBLING IMBECILE; VILLAIN, SIMPLE SYNOPSIS, SOMETHING!!!

What sort of moronic response is that?

He has said that 1, they are not making SM4 and SM5 back to back, 2 they haven't even nailed down a villian yet and 3, KD is still not on board, but you want him to start confirming things? It's not his fault if reporters with the same attitude as you keep asking him things about a project that isn't even close to starting yet, what the hell do you expect him to say other than try to clear up what has been previously said?

Last edited:
Uch...WHY does MJ need to have her own story? I think Raimi needs to take a look at the first chunk of ASM issues again, all of which were MJ-less.

"I'm in the earliest stages of working with the writer, trying to work out a story."

That's interesting because David Lindsay-Abaire was hired back in November and we're now in the middle of March.

They should be further along than that...unless they've gotten another screenwriter on-board. :huh:

The character of MJ was one of the serious problems I had with Spider-Man 3. Her character better get a complete overhaul in this movie.

Oh, and it better be The Lizard.

No! Screw Tobey and Kirsten! They don't know who Peter and MJ are! They play them all wrong.

MJ is not a poor Gwen Stacy but that's who Kirsten is. Why does she never go party? She should be dating tons of random guys! Peter should have dated Gwen and him in MJ get close after Gwens death. Peter asks MJ to marry him and she says no because she couldn't commit to just one man, moves away. Comes back. Peter asks again and she says yes.

Peter was not picked on in College. But Raimi still thinks he's in high school. Raimi still thinks he's a soft spoken shy kid. This is not Peter Parker! Peter is outspoken and funny.

Screw Raimi! He's responsible for this perversion of their characters.

Crap, because of this Spider-man will be forever tainted in the movie industry with bad characterization. Arrrrggghhhh!

Last edited:
I fully support the notion to replace Kirsten Dunst. I've always disliked her as an actress, and I've always hated her as Mary Jane Watson.

Of course, I won't get my hopes up. Dunst will surely be back.

I could stand her coming back for the sake of continuity, but hopefully they will have overcome their relationship troubles. For someone Peter claims to have always wanted to be with, they certainly don't seem very compatible if they're still going to be arguing in SM4.

What sort of moronic response is that?

He has said that 1, they are not making SM4 and SM5 back to back, 2 they haven't even nailed down a villian yet and 3, KD is still not on board, but you want him to start confirming things? It's not his fault if reporters with the same attitude as you keep asking him things about a project that isn't even close to starting yet, what the hell do you expect him to say other than try to clear up what has been previously said?
What don't you ----ing understand?!... This is exactly what made 'Spider-Man 3' fall flat in it's boots. They took too damn long in deciding on how many villains would appear, which characters will appear, the fight sequences, the love story/triangles/whatever, and all that other bull----. What made the first two so good is that they didn't waste time deciding over the villain(s) or the story, they decided to tell the story by developing the characters to their fullest potential. As 'Spider-Man 3' was mainly about: "Okay, so how do we get our money back from this $258 million dollar production?"... Sounds like a bunch of bull----, I know, but believe me:O

No, none of that is what made SM3 'fail'. In fact that doesn't even makes sense.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"