Return of the Jedi

Catman

Avenger
Reaction score
I just finished watching Jedi on Cinemax. It's been a while since I last saw the film so hence why I just realized this.

I love Star Wars and Empire Strikes Back. Yet I was never too crazy about Jedi. It's good but not...great...you know? It has a lot of flaws and I wasn't too crazy about how somethings were handled.

But, even with all the flaws this movie has it still is a hundred times better than the Prequels. Even better than Revenge of the Sith. Although Sith has a better ending. lol. The party with the "Teddy Bears" was one of the things I wasn't too crazy about. lol.

I've always felt that ROTJ is probably "technically" the worst of the OT. But, at the same time, it may very well be the most enjoyable. Or, at least, the most fun. That makes up for some of its shortcomings, I think.

And yeah, it's still lightyears ahead of any of the prequels.

CConn said:
I've always felt that ROTJ is probably "technically" the worst of the OT. But, at the same time, it may very well be the most enjoyable. Or, at least, the most fun. That makes up for some of its shortcomings, I think.

Worst is a strong word. I prefer "weakest" because it really isn't a bad movie. It just doesn't live up to the first two. I'd say that "Empire" is the best while "Star Wars" is the most fun.

And yeah, it's still lightyears ahead of any of the prequels.

Agreed.

You both are crazy Jedi is one of teh best in the trilogy. Its no Kerhsner directed Empire but it is a great finale film which many trilgies can't do. Is it better then the prequels well yes for that whole trilogy was something special. Th prequels got better per film and i have all six movie sin my dvd collection for Revenge Of The Sith and Phantom Menace had some pretty wicked saber duels.

Whatever the flaws in Return of the Jedi, the climax with Luke, Vader and the Emperor is so magnificent, so epic....that in elevates the whole saga to the myth that Lucas so wanted it to be.

45.jpg

Kevin Roegele said:
Whatever the flaws in Return of the Jedi, the climax with Luke, Vader and the Emperor is so magnificent, so epic....that in elevates the whole saga to the myth that Lucas so wanted it to be.

45.jpg

My favorite part of the movie.
I also love when Vader picks Luke up on Endor. A nice build-up to that scene.

Ben Urich said:
All Jedi had was a bunch of Muppets. :down

Oh, come on. It had:

- The death of Yoda.
- Han Solo being rescued by Luke Skywalker, the Jedi Knight.
- Lando and co destroying the Death Star.
- The revelation that Leia is Luke's sister.
- Luke, Vader, and Emperor in the Death Star.
- Vader's redemption and the prophecy being fullfilled that Anakin Skywalker destroys the Sith.

...It wasn't that bad.
It did have those damn ewoks, though. :mad: :down

Warhammer said:
Oh, come on. It had:

- The death of Yoda.
- Han Solo being rescued by Luke Skywalker, the Jedi Knight.
- Lando and co destroying the Death Star.
- The revelation that Leia is Luke's sister.
- Luke, Vader, and Emperor in the Death Star.
- Vader's redemption and the prophecy being fullfilled that Anakin Skywalker destroys the Sith.

...It wasn't that bad.
It did have those damn ewoks, though. :mad: :down

I was quoting Clerks. :o
But yeah, it has cool stuff, but overall it's the weakest of the original three.

Kevin Roegele said:

45.jpg

I love that scene as well.

Ben Urich said:
I was quoting Clerks. :o
But yeah, it has cool stuff, but overall it's the weakest of the original three.

God, I feel dumb now.
I haven't seen that movie in a long time.

Return of the Jedi solidified Luke Skywalker as a LEGEND in my mind.

He gets shot in the hand and just puts a black glove on it... Oh I loved that.

As it is with the internet certain things get exagerrated and though the Ewoks were a little too cutsie pootsie sometimes, they never overtook the film.

Oh and yes, easily above the PT, just for having Harrison Ford and Billy Dee williams in it kicking ass.

i find the title of this thread wrong...

the prequels prove how bad the prequels are

still...the OT it one of the best series of films ever made(scores extra points for Harrison Ford:up: )

Warhammer said:
the prophecy being fullfilled that Anakin Skywalker destroys the Sith.

That's not actually part of the movie, it's only infused through the prequels.

Wesyeed said:
Return of the Jedi solidified Luke Skywalker as a LEGEND in my mind.

I absolutely love Luke's entrance, and the fact that he is now a Jedi. He's gone all the way from lame farm boy to rookie rebel to Jedi. And he's an Old School Jedi, none of the crap from the prequels (the only Jedi in the prequels who would have fir the original trilogy is Qui-Gon). Jedi Luke is cloaked and hooded, mysterious, subtle, keeps in the shadows, has a slightly disturbing confidence, and is more of a wizard-monk than the swashbuckling super-acrobats of the prequels. Just like Alec Guiness' Ben Kenobi.

luke_cloak.jpg

180px-Dark_Jedi.jpg

Luke's entrance is one of my favourite moments in any film. There's an ominous silence as something serious is about to go down. The huge door lifts, and a figure approaches. In a cloak. We don't get a clear look at his face. Two guards approach, and instead of fighting them, he simply motions them aside and they move.

And when Luke approaches Jabba and tells him, "You will bring Captain Solo and the Wookie to me," - just fantastic. Luke has developed so much, he is now the real power and centre of every scene. Quite a performance by Hamill. Used to be Harrison Ford dominated all the scenes, but now Luke has a real dramatic presence.

Luke%20chez%20Jabba.jpg

Yeah, Luke was really annoying in the first two films ("But I was going to go to the Toschi station to pick up some power converters!" :whatever: ) but was pretty ****ing badass in Jedi. :up:

I actually think ROTJ was the best out of the original trilogy.

Ben Urich said:
Yeah, Luke was really annoying in the first two films ("But I was going to go to the Toschi station to pick up some power converters!" :whatever: ) but was pretty ****ing badass in Jedi. :up:

Yeah, he was such a badass he reminded me of myself. Almost.

I love ROTJ. In all honesty, I put it on level with Empire and ahead of A New Hope. It lacks a lot of the nuances and development as well as the darkness that made TESB a masterpiece, but it is also the most fun of all six movies and it was a great way to close everything out. It's also probably the best paced of the series.

Jedi isn't as good as the first two, but is still very good and considerably better than the prequels.

ANTHONYNASTI said:
It's also probably the best paced of the series.

I'd agree, except for the scene where Threepio explains The Story So Far to the Ewoks.

Return of the Jedi also changed action movies forever. It was the first movie to have a third act that is one long climax, completely action through out.

I felt ROTJ was the best of the series.

Kevin Roegele said:
I absolutely love Luke's entrance, and the fact that he is now a Jedi. He's gone all the way from lame farm boy to rookie rebel to Jedi. And he's an Old School Jedi, none of the crap from the prequels (the only Jedi in the prequels who would have fir the original trilogy is Qui-Gon). Jedi Luke is cloaked and hooded, mysterious, subtle, keeps in the shadows, has a slightly disturbing confidence, and is more of a wizard-monk than the swashbuckling super-acrobats of the prequels. Just like Alec Guiness' Ben Kenobi.

luke_cloak.jpg

180px-Dark_Jedi.jpg

Luke's entrance is one of my favourite moments in any film. There's an ominous silence as something serious is about to go down. The huge door lifts, and a figure approaches. In a cloak. We don't get a clear look at his face. Two guards approach, and instead of fighting them, he simply motions them aside and they move.

And when Luke approaches Jabba and tells him, "You will bring Captain Solo and the Wookie to me," - just fantastic. Luke has developed so much, he is now the real power and centre of every scene. Quite a performance by Hamill. Used to be Harrison Ford dominated all the scenes, but now Luke has a real dramatic presence.

Luke%20chez%20Jabba.jpg

I guess! I don't know. I was too distracted by Princess Leia and her golden bikini. lol.

Max J Power said:
Jedi isn't as good as the first two, but is still very good and considerably better than the prequels.

I'd put it ahead of A New Hope. IMO, ANH is the one that has the worst pacing and feels the most dated. I guess it's because it's the one in which Lucas had the most involvement in.

Kevin Roegele said:
I'd agree, except for the scene where Threepio explains The Story So Far to the Ewoks.

Return of the Jedi also changed action movies forever. It was the first movie to have a third act that is one long climax, completely action through out.

Oh, absolutely. :up::up:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Francuz231
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"