• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

Return of the Jedi

Ben Urich said:
Heh, someone should edit Anakin's rampage in RotS so he's murdering little Ewoks instead of those silly Padawan kids.
This'd be hilarious :D

best part was when luke talked back to jaba with that pist off look/smile on his face, when he was dragged away. i forget what he said but something about jaba making his last mistake..

MaskedManJRK said:
Having George not even part of the screenwriting process probably helped, too. :o

lol. Isn't it funny that the movie which had the least involvement from Lucas ended up being the best.

Lucas wrote and directed Star Wars and the Prequels.
In Jedi there was some disputes with the director so the 2nd unit Director and Lucas ended up directing a good amount of the film. Not to mention that Lucas wrote the screenplay with Lawrence Kasdan.

Then we come to Empire in which the screenplay was not written by Lucas. Although its based on his ideas. And, as far as directing...Lucas only helped with special effects scenes. Basically Lucas just paid the bills, came up with the story and helped with special effects. Everything else was handled by Kiersner (sp?) and this ended up being the best film.

Sloth7d said:
I actually think ROTJ was the best out of the original trilogy.

I enjoyed ROTJ the most because you really get to see how much Luke has grown as a Jedi, you got Yoda's passing, the Luke/Vader final fight, and of course Palpatine. Vader's turn and death were also great. I even enjoyed the Ewoks and the original song at the ending.

ESB is perhaps the 'best' movie in terms of storytelling and directing, but I thought ROTJ did a great job wrapping up the original trilogy.

Kevin Roegele said:
I absolutely love Luke's entrance, and the fact that he is now a Jedi. He's gone all the way from lame farm boy to rookie rebel to Jedi. And he's an Old School Jedi, none of the crap from the prequels (the only Jedi in the prequels who would have fir the original trilogy is Qui-Gon). Jedi Luke is cloaked and hooded, mysterious, subtle, keeps in the shadows, has a slightly disturbing confidence, and is more of a wizard-monk than the swashbuckling super-acrobats of the prequels. Just like Alec Guiness' Ben Kenobi.

luke_cloak.jpg

180px-Dark_Jedi.jpg

Luke's entrance is one of my favourite moments in any film. There's an ominous silence as something serious is about to go down. The huge door lifts, and a figure approaches. In a cloak. We don't get a clear look at his face. Two guards approach, and instead of fighting them, he simply motions them aside and they move.

And when Luke approaches Jabba and tells him, "You will bring Captain Solo and the Wookie to me," - just fantastic. Luke has developed so much, he is now the real power and centre of every scene. Quite a performance by Hamill. Used to be Harrison Ford dominated all the scenes, but now Luke has a real dramatic presence.

Luke%20chez%20Jabba.jpg

I agree with what others have said that Jedi is not as good as ESB but the Luke entrance/Han Solo rescue is one of my favorite scenes in the entire franchise.

CConn said:
I've always felt that ROTJ is probably "technically" the worst of the OT. But, at the same time, it may very well be the most enjoyable. Or, at least, the most fun. That makes up for some of its shortcomings, I think.

And yeah, it's still lightyears ahead of any of the prequels.

I agree with 100% of that.
Why do the prequels have such difficulty capturing the spirit and adventure of the OT? At first I thought it might just be me being nostalgic, but after having watched them all not too long ago, I found that the prequels really can't hold a candle to any of the original films....despite the FX.

What I found so surprising watching the prequels was just how dated Phantom Menace looks. It already feels like an obsolete movie. I also forgot how odd Yoda looked compared to the original trilogy. Even if PM is supposed to be forty years in the past, he looked drastically different. Then, Lucas decided to make him CGI for the other two films, and he looked drastically different from how he looks in Phantom Menace!

Then there are the stormtroopers. I swear, was there any scene in either Attack or Sith where they WEREN'T CGI? They could be just standing around taking orders, CGI. One trooper walking in and out of the frame for like two seconds, CGI.

More and more, the prequels come off as nothing more than Lucas' desire to re-establish dominance in special effects.

KenK said:
More and more, the prequels come off as nothing more than Lucas' desire to re-establish dominance in special effects.

I know. I think in 10 years people will ignore the prequels and just acknowledge the original trilogy.

OT: My order of best to worst, Empire, Jedi, ANH. Anyone who says ANH is better than Jedi has a BS coming to them. The movie is good, but the acting on the whole, is terrible. Plain and Simple. Empire rocks the house, b/c it seems all the actors had fallen into their roles, and the interaction was good. Jedi was a great film, no Empire, because it lacked the devastation caused in Empire. But was still great.

PT: Those movies got better as they went along, but man do they suck royal donkey nuts. I think the whole problem with the series was ATOC. It was essentially a filler movie. Literally nothing happened in it. The only reason for it's existance was to allow Lucas to make a trilogy rather than a 2 movie series.

I think the abandonment of the formula used in the OT is what killed the PT. Each OT movie had 3 acts, where each act had it's own setting/planet. ANH had Tattooine, the Death Star, and Yavin, Empire had Hoth, Dagobah and Bespin, and Jedi had Tattoine, Endor and the Death Star II. This didn't happen in the PT.

Also, I think the PT would have been much better, had Anakin turned to the darkside at the end of installment 2 (AOTC). Just like the OT, where we discover what Vader's relationship to Luke is in Empire. I always felt the the PT should follow the same format. First movie is happy and self contained, second movie should have a sad ending, and the third should take everything, and wrap it up in a climactic conclusion

i re-watch Jedi more than ANH and ESB combined

Catman said:
I just finished watching Jedi on Cinemax. It's been a while since I last saw the film so hence why I just realized this.

I love Star Wars and Empire Strikes Back. Yet I was never too crazy about Jedi. It's good but not...great...you know? It has a lot of flaws and I wasn't too crazy about how somethings were handled.

But, even with all the flaws this movie has it still is a hundred times better than the Prequels. Even better than Revenge of the Sith. Although Sith has a better ending. lol. The party with the "Teddy Bears" was one of the things I wasn't too crazy about. lol.
OMG! WTF?? LOL
I love that part where the guy in the black mask throws the old man down the hole. lol
And the ewok dude were huggable. lol

I'm in agreement with anyone that says ROTJ is better than ANH but below ESB. I find ANH the toughest one to get through out of the OT. The pacing sometimes slows to a crawl. These days I'll skip to Luke blowing up the Death star (pretty much the only epic moment in the whole movie) and then I'll get on to ESB.

ROTJ has always gotten a bad rap because of the Ewoks but there's too many good things in the movie for me to dwell on that. As said before, Luke was just the man in this movie. I liked how everything about him kind of expressed that he was at the crossroads between good and evil. He wore black like a Sith but he also had the Jedi cloak. His lightsaber was neither red or blue...but a neutral color of green. I also found some of his actions (force choking the guards and talking smack to Jabba) not very Jedi-like. His final duel and conquering of Vader is my favorite moment of the entire trilogy.

hitmanyr2k said:
I find ANH the toughest one to get through out of the OT. The pacing sometimes slows to a crawl.
George was saying that that really says a lot about the viewer's subsequent knowledge of the Star Wars universe and the way audiences have changed over the years because a big concern and criticism of Star Wars when it came out was that it was way too fast-paced.

Wilhelm-Scream said:
George was saying that that really says a lot about the viewer's subsequent knowledge of the Star Wars universe and the way audiences have changed over the years because a big concern and criticism of Star Wars when it came out was that it was way too fast-paced.

I agree with Mr. Lucas for once. This MTV generation can't stand something a bit slower. And, those old-fashioned audiences from the `70s couldn't stand something a bit quicker.

Jedi is my absolute least favorite. Even Phantom Menace is more interesting, and whil JarJar and Ewoks are on a similarly annoying level, at least JarJar didn't defeat the empire with stones.

MrHateYourself said:
Jedi is my absolute least favorite. Even Phantom Menace is more interesting, and whil JarJar and Ewoks are on a similarly annoying level, at least JarJar didn't defeat the empire with stones.

no wonder you hate yourself :o

JackBauer said:
no wonder you hate yourself :o

lol. Agreed. There's no way that Phantom Menace is more interesting. I hated that fim because of Jar Jar and little Anakin Skywalker and his silly race. Jedi is a million times better.

Golgo13:The Hitman said:
I agree with what others have said that Jedi is not as good as ESB but the Luke entrance/Han Solo rescue is one of my favorite scenes in the entire franchise.

"How we doin'?"
"Same as always."
"That bad, huh?"

:woot:

ROTJ is my favorite. It drawfs any prequel or sequel that will be made. Damn you, Lucas.

ROTJ was oky. I just didnt care for the muppet show(ewoks,and the opening singing number in jabba's palace). It had other shortcomings,but that could be overlooked with the ending w/emporer and destruction of death star.. Empire was by far the best of the bunch. It was dark,
entertaining,had the most memorable moments of the star war series..
my favorites of series:

1.empire
2.star wars
3.jedi
3.sith(tie w/jedi)
4.phantom menace
5. clone wars

pm will always be the worst bc of mitichloridans

^Thought it was the worst because of Jar Jar.

Kevin Roegele said:
I absolutely love Luke's entrance, and the fact that he is now a Jedi. He's gone all the way from lame farm boy to rookie rebel to Jedi. And he's an Old School Jedi, none of the crap from the prequels (the only Jedi in the prequels who would have fir the original trilogy is Qui-Gon). Jedi Luke is cloaked and hooded, mysterious, subtle, keeps in the shadows, has a slightly disturbing confidence, and is more of a wizard-monk than the swashbuckling super-acrobats of the prequels. Just like Alec Guiness' Ben Kenobi.

luke_cloak.jpg

180px-Dark_Jedi.jpg

Luke%20chez%20Jabba.jpg
yes the prequel trilogy wanted to make the jedi the defacto SUPER-HEROES of the star wars universe:ninja:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"