Web Ninja
Reaction score

(click to enlarge)

Actress Rila Fukushima
[Official Twitter] - [IMDb] - [Wikipedia]

Yukio quotes (from trailers)
"I've been trying to find you for over a year."
"It's an honor to meet the Wolverine."
"My employer is dying. He wants to thank you for saving his life all those years ago."
"I wouldn't bother with them."
"I saw you die."

Actress Rila Fukushima's quotes
"My character's very physical." (Total Film, May 2013)
"Yukio and Wolverine have a lot in common. She really takes care of him and he also cares about her." (Total Film, May 2013)

Set interviews with Rila Fukushima
[Collider] - [Screenrant]

Director James Mangold's quotes
"I would say [Wolverine and Yukio] have a unique relationship. She's lethal herself."
"She's a tremendous fighter."
"I think she's both sexy and almost kind of sprung from the anime world. It's a real badass character."

Yukio character images

Yukio in The Wolverine video media
Official Thread

Comic character info
Character creators: Chris Claremont and Frank Miller
First appearance: Wolverine #1 (1982)

Marvel universe wiki comic character description (abridged)
Little is known about the life of the adventurous Yukio before she became an assassin for the Japanese crimelord Lord Shingen, leader of Clan Yashida. As part of Shingen’s campaign against the mutant hero Wolverine, Yukio drugged Wolverine and brought him before Shingen who proceeded to shame him in battle. Later, Yukio manipulated Wolverine into helping her kill Shingen’s rival Katsuyori. Attracted to Wolverine, Yukio chafed at his love for Shingen’s daughter Mariko, but nevertheless saved Mariko’s life when her abusive husband threatened her.

Last edited:
She is definitely Wolverine's protector while he is going through the stages of losing his powers

I wonder if she'll be part of a love triangle between her, Wolverine and Mariko like in the comic.

I was going to create a thread for her when I saw the CinemaCon trailer.

She looks bad-ass and fierce!

I'm interested to see how she's portrayed in the film. I hope they capture the recklessness of the character in the comics. There's a great moment in the Kitty Pryde and Wolverine mini where she leaps off a cliff, knowing the wind will blow her back and kick an opponent. It really shows how crazy she is. Hopefully they portray something of that.

My worry is that she could end up a generic female ninja type.

I love the look they gave her. Even prefer it to her look in the comics.

I think Yukio will be one who will defeat Viper! I can't wait to see their fight!

I wonder if she'll be part of a love triangle between her, Wolverine and Mariko like in the comic.

I really hope so.

She looks bad ass, but I would've really liked the usual comic book look for Yukio. That character is so darn cool, they really didn't need to change anything.

But I'll gladly wait and see how this works out. :)

I wonder if she can slash some dudes down while on the bike.

Like Cloud in Final Fantasy VII. :hehe:

I just want to see some bike stunt.

Last edited:
red spiked hair would have been cool.

I really hope so.

She looks bad ass, but I would've really liked the usual comic book look for Yukio. That character is so darn cool, they really didn't need to change anything.

But I'll gladly wait and see how this works out. :)

I actually prefer this one. He comic look is a pretty plain one, this one has more character.

I wonder if she can slash some dudes down while on the bike.

Like Cloud in Final Fantasy VII. :hehe:

I just want to see some bike stunt.

If I were ever to make a ninja film (or any film really), I would do an entire sequence on a Japanese motorway with ninjas on motorbikes.

hr_The_Wolverine_24.jpg

I like this chick's look. You can tell she's a model like right off the bat though.

Rebecca Romijn was a working model too when she was hired to play Mystique.

Who knows Rila Fukushima could be great as Yukio.

Yuki isn't pure as a snowflake in the comic storyline. She needs some untrustworthiness to her here somewhere. I'd rather that than some psychic power.

And speaking of that premonition thing.

I wonder why they didn't have Destiny in DOFP.

I'm not sold on the premonition skill.. Then again, I'm being rediculously conservative about Yukio. At first, I hated her new look. Then I hated that the actress said that her Yukio would be 'different' from the comic books. And now I dislike this Yukio-the-mutant idea. Maybe I just can't handle change. :p

I think Yukio will be a good sidekick to Wolverine!

And I just realized that, it took them 6 movies to give Wolverine a sidekick!

I wonder how she and Wolverine will part ways after the ultimate battle.

Empire interview:

Rila Fukushima On The Wolverine

The film's Yukio on working with Jackman and working as a hitman...

18 June 2013

wolverine.jpg

Rila Fukushima was best known as a model and had only appeared in one short film before she was cast in The Wolverine as Yukio. But we can expect to see much more of her in future; she has the acting bug now, and has training as an assassin so casting directors had better watch out. We chatted to her about working with Hugh Jackman's metal-boned mutant and how she approached the part...

Tell us about your character...
Wolverine travels to Japan to see his old friend, Master Yashida to talk about his immortality. My character, Yukio is working for the powerful Yashida family, for the guy that Wolverine met years ago. So I'm the one sent to find Logan and bring him to Japan.

And she's a fairly tough woman?
Yeah, she's pretty tough. A badass! She's highly trained in martial arts and is a bodyguard for the Yashida family.

How much training did you have to go through to play her?
Once I got the part, I started training for three weeks before we started training. It was challenging, but I had a lot of fun. I learned Japanese swords and Bo staff and to fist fight, plus some knife work. At first, I learned a little bit of everything, mainly katana and Bo staff. My character is the type of girl who can fight with anything. She can fight with a cell phone probably! Anything she finds. For this film, I had swords, staffs and my fists. I learned some gymnastics too. I can't spin in the air, unfortunately, but I learned basic things.

Did you adapt quickly? You must keep in shape to be a model.
point.gif
point.gif
I kicked people before, so I was ready for that. But I never killed people before, so they trained me very well.
point.gif
point.gif
I was exercising before I got the part because I love it, and I was taking martial arts classes for fitness. So it was definitely helpful because I had a little bit of muscle and some experience, and was okay with kicking people! I kicked people before, so I was ready for that. But I never killed people before, so they trained me very well. Now I can kill people, okay?

That's good to know. It's scary, but it's good to know.
If you need me to kill someone, just let me know. I'll fly there and I'll do it! I have to become Yukio, though, so I have to dye my hair red before I kill them, so it'll take three days' notice.

This is your first big film. How was it stepping onto the set for the first time?
It was, so everything was so new and fresh and amazing. Especially working with Hugh. He's a great performer and he's very nice to everyone on set. You felt like he's a superstar but he's a real person, and he made me want to keep acting in the future. I hope I can become like him in the future. I told him "thank you" a lot, and he said, "you don't have to thank me, when I started acting, a lot of people helped me out." He told me never to feel like I didn't belong. And that if I establish myself as an actress, I can help other people. It was such a lovely thing to hear from someone like Hugh. I'm excited to see the movie, but so nervous too!

How was it working with James Mangold?
He's the greatest director a first-time actor could work with! And he's great for actresses, especially his past film work. I'm very glad I could get to work with him. He gave me a lot of freedom to build my character, and even though he had millions of things to do on set, he gave me feedback and advice. I did a lot of the stunt sequences, so he was always making sure I was okay. Hugh and James worked together 10 years ago, so hopefully I can get to see James again in 10 years after I have some experience!

Was it interesting seeing Japan through Hugh and James and the crew's eyes?
Shooting in Japan is a great feeling because I appreciated that they came down to shoot part of the film there. We went to Yoshino Prefecture, which was so beautiful. I had seen some of it, but it was amazing to see people shooting there. They really picked some great locations. Some of the places they shot I had never seen, and it was awesome I got to go there. James loves a lot of Japanese films and filmmakers and got ideas for where he wanted to shoot.

How does modelling compare to acting?
I had been taking acting classes on and off while I was modelling, so I always had a dream to be in a film. I never thought about acting before I started modelling, but since then I've been in short films and music videos and I got interested. It felt natural to switch over. I tried to get ready slowly.

So how is it playing a Marvel character?
James Mangold told me he thinks next Halloween there will be a little girl with red hair like Yukio and that will be so cool!

She certainly looks the part, hope she turns out to be a great non-mutant character.

Yukio character images

(click thumbnail image for image source link)

I think these (and the others) are pretty sweet!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"