Rise of Marvels: Year One -- Sign-Up/OOC Thread

Carnage27

No one's puppet
Reaction score
250px-Marvel_logo.jpg

From the files of HAMMER:

Everything they've told you is a lie. I know most of you have heard it nearly your entire lives. You must be thinking how can we have been lied to for so long? It's not what you want to hear, but it's what you need to know. The government, all the governments, have been lying to us all since they lost control. Since they let the genie out of the bottle. For decades they've been in a mad dash to hide, erase, and blind people from the facts that would cause a dramatic shift in the world's power base. But I'm not going to let the shadows continue to strangle our world.

What am I talking about, you might ask? Superhumans. Mutants. Magic. All these things that HAMMER supposedly is here to protect us from and keep us all safe from. We've all been taught from day one that these were things to be feared. That they were genetic freaks that could kill us all. That they all needed to be rounded up and put in prison so the rest of us could live our lives in a safe, happy world. All of them lies.

What they don't want you to know is that it all started with my father, Captain Steve Rogers. You'd know him better as Captain America, the world's first, true superhero. When he was lost, America and the rest of the world started a genetic arms race to try and replicate what made him what he was. Sloppy science in the name of world domination became common place, mistakes were made, and our world was forever changed. They may not have created the first mutants, but this negligence spurned their growth in numbers.

To compensate, the world gave us HAMMER, and the stories that mutants were to be feared. In reality, it was just the power base trying to clean up their own mess in the quietest way possible. And so we all went along with it. A lot of us ignored it, hoping the atrocities that were whispered about really were just rumor. I was supposed to be their secret weapon in this manufactured war. They blindly thought that I'd follow them out of love for a father I never knew or through some strong national pride. But I saw right through them, and will not rest until their crimes are laid bare in front of the world.

I'm here to tell you we are not a threat. Mutants and superhumans are not your enemy. Look at the X-Men, who have saved dozens of people in the past months. Or New York's so-called Spider-man. They have sacrificed their lives for you. They are the true heroes. HAMMER will tell you differently. But this is the truth.

My name is Stephanie Carter. I am Captain America. And this is where everything changes.

-Transcribed from rogue agent Stephanie Carter's address to the nation. Unknown origin. Illegal satalite signal hijacking. Trace unsuccessful.

Age of Marvels: Year One

Game Premise

In game, the only known superhero of the past was Captain America. In the present time HAMMER is the world's foremost defense against superhuman and mutant threats. Comprised of a multinational group of corporations, private military firms, and liasons to the UN, they attempt to stamp out mutant and superhuman activity across the world. Our heroes are new to the pursuits of heroism, and at most they have been active for a few months.​

To apply for a character, fill out the application below. There will be a 24 hour waiting period for all applications to allow for other apps to be submitted.​

Rules

1: You may choose any superhero or villain in the Marvel Universe and revise them for the new continuity. Being that this is strictly a 'Year One' continuity, the only real restraint would be that all the heroes and villains involved would be brand new to the job. The only known superhero before this time period was Steve Rogers, so keep that in mind.

2: You are allowed a maximum of two main characters. You also have free reign over the characters' supporting cast and rogues' gallery, provided that no other player is playing them. However, it is advised to keep sidekick characters and primary villains at least somewhat open as options for other players to take up.​

3: You must post at least once every two weeks, preferably more, or your character will be up for grabs. Failure to post after 30 days will result in your character being removed from the roster.​

4: PC's are not to be killed without permission. Nameless NPC's are fine, but PC's or important NPC's will require authorization. Don't do anything random, such as destroying the universe, either. Such behavior is frowned upon.​

5: Several storylines can be going on at once, in order to interact with other players. If a player's character does not want to be involved in another's storyline, they do not have to. Likewise, please observe good etiquette and ask the other players' permission before jumping into a fight or interaction without their consent. Consultation and communication are the keys to a good PC-to-PC interaction.​

6: Sidekicks like and legacy characters are technically allowed, but will be required to be permitted by the player in charge of the 'franchise' character.​

7: You can travel anywhere on Earth or off-planet, provided it is within your character's means. Time-travel is forbidden, unless it is specifically required of your character choice.​

8: You are your character, so act like them. Create or portray their mannerisms, powers, and ideals to how they have been established in the game. BE the character.​

9: Respect the Gamemasters. If they make a request of you regarding the game, listen to them. Failure to adhere to GM, AGM, and Hype! Moderator requests will result in expulsion from the game.​

10: Be creative, and do not be afraid to try new and exciting things with old concepts. This is a new continuity bound only by the constraints made by other players and yourself.​

11: All regular Hype rules apply. Obviously.​

12: Most of all, enjoy yourself. That's why we're here.

Rise of Marvels: Character Application:

Character Name:

Alignment (Hero, Villain, Walking the Line):

Character Speech Color and Font (ex: Red Bold Veranda):

Powers and Abilities:

Character Origin/Backstory:

Why this character?

Provide a sample post as your character, with at least three paragraphs and featuring at least one line of dialogue:

Roster

Heroes

Captain America/Stephanie Carter
(Carnage27)

Daredevil
(Keyser Soze)​

Hawkeye
(Hound55)

Spider-Man
(Carnage27)

Villains

Boomerang
(Hound55)​

Kingpin
(Keyser Soze)

Norman Osborn
(Andy C)

Tracy Lawless
(Byrd Man)​

Last edited:
And here I was about to hop on DC: YO with an "urban" Batman take in the app

Hmmmm.

Well, I definitely want in, but the question is which character I want to play. First instinct says to go to familiar ground and apply for Spider-Man again, but I've honestly done just about everything I could do with Spidey over the years. Time to give someone else a try.

I'll mull it over and come back with an app once I've found someone I can work with. Maybe Thor, or an X-character.

Age of Marvels: Character Application:

310245-199493-american-dream_zps79f3c1c8.jpg

Character Name: Stephanie Carter/Captain America​

Alignment (Hero, Villain, Walking the Line): Hero​

Character Speech Color and Font (ex: Red Bold Veranda): Bold Blue Century Gothic

Powers and Abilities: As the offspring of Captain America, Stephanie has all his abilities, though at slightly lower levels. She has super strength, agility, speed, dexterity, endurance, and a higher level of healing than normal human beings. The Super Soldier Serum embedded in her DNA also grants her a highly tactile mind, and she learns things vastly faster than a normal person.​

Through her months of training with HAMMER, Stephanie became a master combatant, marksman, and strategist. She also became adept at stealth techniques and espionage.​

Though she never met him, Steph also has many of her father's traits, such as his compassion and fair mindedness.​

Steve Rogers, better known to the world as Captain America, was a ray of light in a sea of darkness. Nazi defector Abraham Erskine's super soldier serum became the one chance the Allied Forces had in turning back the Nazis and their secret weapons developed by Hydra. Unfortunately, thanks to Erksine's murder after Captain America's creation, the formula was lost, leaving Rogers the only success of Project Rebirth.​

Still, he served with distinction, becoming an international hero and a virtual American god. The man nearly single-handedly turned the tide of the war, and helped the Allies gain footholds in Africa and Europe. Unfortunately, Cap, as he was affectionately called, was lost in a final surge that crippled Hydra and ensured an Allied victory in the European theater.​

In the decades that followed, scientists across the globe scrambled to create the next Captain America. Erskine's skeletal, scribbled notes were extrapolated in every way imaginable, leading to mistakes, error, and unintended consiquences across the world.​

But there was one man that knew what to do. Arnim Zola, a Hydra scientist offered assylum after he agreed to share secrets with the Americans, devised a way to create a new Captain America. In the late 80s, weeks before his death, Zola approached the leaders of HAMMER, a new peace keeping organization designed to control the earth's burgeoning metahuman population. He said that the US government had frozen some of Steve Rogers's genetic material, and using that they could quite literally birth a new Captain America. Zola ensured the traits of Rogers would be passed on before he disappeared again.​

CIA Agent Sharon Carter, the grand-neice of Rogers's old flame Peggy Carter, was chosen as the mother. The baby came to term, and emerged as a beautiful little girl, named Stephanie in honor of her biological father. Carter raised Steph as her own, even though she knew there would be a time the girl would be taken from her for training. Steph grew up as a happy, healthy child. Her powers manifested around the time of puberty, though her mother urged her to hide them from her friends and teachers.​

Steph graduated from high school and began attending college, which is where she was first contacted by a mysterious man known only as Fury. He claimed to know about her powers and her father, whom Stephanie was told died when she was just a baby, and that she was living a lie. Stephanie ignored his constant warnings until HAMMER came knocking.​

The organization told her where she had came from and what she was meant to do. They explained that they needed her to protect the world from the mutant threat, and that her training would begin immediately.​

Feeling betrayed by her mother, Stephanie left in a storm of shouting. For months she trained with HAMMER's top field agent Natasha Romanoff, who showed her the ropes of espionage, hand-to-hand combat, and marksmanship. The two became fast friends even though Carter felt like Romanoff was holding something from her.​

It was during her training that Fury revealed himself to her. He indeed had known her father, but how she wasn't sure. He still looked to be in his late 40's or early 50's, not the elderly man he should have been at the time. He warned her that HAMMER was not what it appeared, and that he needed her help to change that. She dismissed his ravings for crazy ramblings, but did not report them to her superiors.​

Her eyes were opened on her first mission in the field. She was told her team was to apprehend a group of dangerous mutants in a New York City slum. Instead, she found herself being order to forcefully arrest innocent women and children who were doing nothing but attempting to survive.​

After returning to base, she contacted Fury, who showed her HAMMER's true plans for her. She would be more propoganda than hero, and would be the mouthpiece HAMMER needed to begin even more forceful anti-Mutant campaigns. They even had a Captain America unifrom made for her, as well as her father's old shield, the only thing they ever found of him.​

Infuriated, Steph stole the unifrom and shield while simultaneously leading a mutant breakout from a shield prison. She returned home with Fury to gather her mother before going into hiding.​

Two weeks after her grand action, she broadcast a speech across America thanks to Fury's espionage skills. She told the people of America and the world who their true enemies were, and pleaded for them to accept metahumans around them. Before finishing the speech, she declared herself the new Captain America, and promised to show the world what HAMMER's true intentions were.​

Why this character?

This will be my third or fourth crack at trying to get this character and game off the ground. I have so many plans I wanted to get done. Hopefully this time it finally works.

Provide a sample post as your character, with at least three paragraphs and featuring at least one line of dialogue:

800 EST
Location Unknown

She stirred in the sleeping bag as the sun crept through the windows of the place they were calling home for the time being. Fury had said the place was abandoned early last year, and by how much they had to clean, he was probably right. Still, it was comfortable enough, and out of the way of any prying eyes. Secrecy was their only friend at a time like this, but it also had its drawbacks.

Staying a distance from street cameras and prying eyes made it difficult to get anything real done. All they had been able to do so far was warn groups of mutants when HAMMER was on their way. That wasn't enough for Steph, though. She wanted to get working. She wanted to get the hands on the people that had tried to use her. She wasn't a lap dog. She was Captain America, and Steph wanted to make sure they knew that.

"You look tired, dear," her mother said as she placed a cup of coffee and a meager breakfast beside her. "Why don't you go back to sleep for a little?"

"Too much to do, mom," Cap smiled. She was glad her mother was here. When she left for training, they were not on the best of terms. It was nice to make up for that. "Where's Fury?"

"In here," the gruff, bark-like response came from the room where Fury had set up his computer system. "You're going to want to see this."

"Am I finally going to get out of this hell hole?" she asked impatiently.

"Actually, you are, Cap."

Damn. I would really like to try doing the X-Men again. Damn. I'll think about it. Damn...

Im thinkin I may give Spidey a go :up:

I'll get the app done sometime today, get her posted before sun up tomorrow.

Was it wrong of me that I prayed to apply for Parker unopposed? :D

Wouldn't be a Hype Marvel game without a dozen folks wanting Spidey.

Im surprised there wasnt an app posted right away

Oh, I have one I use all the time, but I need to see if I can't change it up a little. Or do a new one from scratch.

Working on one now...

Also, working... in case I need an alibi.

Oh, I have one I use all the time, but I need to see if I can't change it up a little. Or do a new one from scratch.
I always go from scratch myself. Thouh even if I didnt wouldnt matter I've never written a Spidey app before lol

Age of Marvels: Character Application

3874975-the_legendary_star-lord_1_bradshaw_variant.jpg

Character Name:
Star-Lord

Hero

Dark Red

Powers and Abilities:
Star-Lord is half-human, half-Spartoi, but has no superhuman powers or abilities to speak of.

Peter Quill was 10 years old when his mother died of cancer. For over a year, he was lost in the care system, but young Peter was a dreamer. He would look up to the stars, imagining that he was destined for something greater than this bleak existence, dreaming of flying to the stars and leaving his humdrum life on Earth behind. Then, one night, it actually happened. An alien bounty hunter called Yondu landed his spacecraft outside Peter's orphanage, and abducted him. Yondu was supposed to take the boy somewhere. But for reasons known only to Yondu, he went rogue and raised the boy as his own instead. And so humble Earth-boy Peter Quill grew up as a space ravager: a pirate, a vagabond and a thief. He's an adult now, and hasn't been to Earth in 20 years, but Quill is still a dreamer, and he still imagines himself as destined for greater things. In his mind, he's an adventurer. In his mind, he could be a hero. In Peter Quill's mind... he is the legendary Star-Lord!

Why this character?
What can I say, I'm hyped for the Guardians of the Galaxy movie! And my anticipation for that film led me to get into the comics, both the current volume and the acclaimed Abnett & Lanning run. And from those comics, Star-Lord jumped out to me as the best character in a great ensemble. He's also a character who is only now emerging from obscurity, and as such he hasn't really had much in the way of previous RPG portrayals that I'm aware of. Which means my approach has a better chance of being something fresh. Plus, the concept of this game allows me to tinker with the origin, introducing some elements from the film into his origin which I like while maintaining other parts from his comic incarnation. And I've really fallen in love with Marvel Cosmic. I want to encourage other RPers to bring that exciting corner of the Marvel Universe to life in this game.

Meanwhile, in the far reaches of the galaxy...

"BLEEEEEEEEEURRRRGHHHH!"

In between the waves of vomit spewing forth from his mouth, Peter Quill was faced with something of a chicken and egg conundrum. Was it the searing agony of his cosmic hangover which had caused his first waking action to be to lunge for the sick bucket by his bed (which he would only later discover was actually his helmet) and spew forth hot, chunky buyer's remorse? Or was it actually the rising projectile pressing against his lips that woke him, with the gradual awareness of the anvil in his skull only coming on him in waves as he lurched back into the land of the living? Either way, on the morning after the night before, Quill had only one poetic response at hand:

"Kill me."

Sitting on the edge of his bed, doubled forward, Quill tried to comfort himself with the knowledge that he wasn't just ill with a hangover: he was ill with a hangover... IN HIS SPACESHIP... IN SPACE! He found adding "IN MY SPACESHIP... IN SPACE!" to the end of most sentences made them better. "I can't find honest employment... IN MY SPACESHIP... IN SPACE!" "I'm a deadbeat... IN MY SPACESHIP... IN SPACE!" "I'm developing a worrying rash... IN MY SPACESHIP... IN SPACE!" Quill told himself that the beer on Knowhere was surely better than the beer in Colorado.

"Mmmm...."

Mmmm?

Slowly, Quill sat bolt upright and looked over his shoulder. There was a beautiful woman covered in orange fur lying in bed next to him, covers pulled up to just under her arms, sound asleep. Quill has no idea who she was. Gently, he lay himself back down on the bed and rolled over onto his side, glaring at this dozing beauty with bleary eyes. Before long, her eyes opened, and she smiled at Quill. Then, she spoke in a low, guttural voice:

"MOOKAFULA KULAKALAKALAKAAAAAAAAAA!"

Quill's eyes widened and he recoiled back in bed a bit. The space lady smiled and leaned forward, helpfully pressing into the small chip embedded in Quill's neck and reactivating his universal translator.

"You are quite the lover, strange pale man," she said, "Tell me again, great Star-Lord, of your incredible defeat of Galactus."

"My what now?"

"Last night you told the tale," the lady replied, "Of a small lonely planet marked for destruction by the devourer of worlds, and how somehow you turned him away and saved this world. How did you do this?"

"Well..."

Quill was still trying to recall what this woman's name was, and where he'd even met her, never mind how he'd got her on his ship. Apparently it had something to do with a tall tale about Galactus. He'd have to improvise.

"I... you see, I.. flew my spaceship into his nose."

"...you what?"

"This ship. The Milano. Flew it right into his big nose. You know how, like, when you're attacked by a shark, if you bop it on the nose, it leaves you alone?"

"What is a shark?"

"What is a...? Oh yeah, right, the whole alien thing, yeah. Never mind... big thing, pointy teeth. Tender nose, apparently."

"Are you seriously telling me that you flew your plane into Galactus' nose and he turned around and went home?"

"No," sighed Quill lamely, "Obviously I had to scare him off with my words, too."

"Ugh..."

The woman let out a groan of contempt and got up out of bed.

"EEEEEAAAAAAH!"

Quill tumbled backwards out the bed and landed on his bare ass on the cold steel of the Milano deck. This averse reaction to the lady's quite reasonable response of getting out of the bed was because she'd got out of bed by crawling up the wall with the 8 tentacles she had in place of legs.

"What's wrong with you?"

"You... you're an octopus woman!"

"What is an octopus?"

"I dunno... like a spider..."

"What is a spider?"

Letting out a moan of exasperation, Quill resorted to screwing up his face and waving around his fingers in front of his nose in his best attempt at a tentacle-like motion.

"My form displeases you?"

"How could I have sex with you!?"

"Oh, please, you had no problem with my form last night."

"No, I mean, in terms of sheer physics, how did I even pull it off? I'm kinda impressed," Quill remarked, "And in my defence, I evidently drank a whole lot of cheap liqour last night."

"You are a pig, Star-Lord!"

"Oh, so you know what a pig is?"

"What is a pig?"

"You just called me one!"

"Oh, the universal translator probably just substituted the word from my language into the... why am I still talking to you? Get out!"

"It's my ship! You get out!"

The nameless woman grabbed her clothes in a bundle, before turning round to face the naked, embarrassed Peter Quill one more time.

"You are no Star-Lord. You are just a bizarre little alien with pasty hairless skin... and your spaceship smells of sweaty undergarments. Goodbye."

And then Peter Quill was alone once more. It was at this point he noticed that his helmet was filled with vomit. Then he remembered the hangover of doom that was tumble-drying his brain. Then he realised, worryingly, that he was a little aroused by all of that.

"You're wrong, baby," Quill said in his now-empty spaceship, "I AM Star-Lord."

Last edited:
All right, thumbs up, let's do this.

Character Name: Jean Grey

Hero

Lucida Sans Unicode, Plum

Powers and Abilities:

Jean's mutant physiology includes one of the most advanced and complex brains on the planet. She is highly intelligent, but hardly superhuman in that regard. However, her unique cerebral composition allows her to make quantum entanglements with surrounding matter.

Thus far, these connections are strongest with inanimate matter, allowing her to manipulate objects merely by connecting her consciousness to them. She is able to 'see' the brainwave patterns of living creatures, but thus far can only 'read' them on a surface level such as sensing simple emotions like anger and fear. With training, however, this could be honed into several forms of telepathy, and combined with her latent telekinetic abilities, could result in Jean becoming the most powerful psychic alive.

Jean's powers, while extremely potent, require an immense amount of concentration to be effective in the field. She is still susceptible to physical attacks if she does not sense them coming. Her training with the X-Men has made her an adept hand-to-hand combatant, but hardly an expert. Without the use of her psychic powers, there is little distinguishing Jean Grey from any other sixteen-year-old girl.

Jean Grey grew up in an unassuming middle-class household in upstate New York, the daughter of a high school teacher and a social worker. Along with her older sister Sasha, the Greys enjoyed a stable, loving, if not quite idyllic home......

.....at least, until Jean began to learn of her abilities.

At age twelve, Jean began suffering incredibly painful headaches, during which the house would shake as if in the middle of an earthquake. Furniture would flip over, light bulbs would unexpectedly burst-- during one particularly alarming outburst, her mother's piano flew across their den, nearly crushing her sister. Unsure of what was happening, the Greys contacted everyone from scientists to priests, trying in vain to understand the inexplicable phenomena that had turned their peaceful home upside-down....

The answer finally came when a visitor came to their home, uninvited but insistent nonetheless. His name was Professor Charles Xavier. Having seen their story in the media, Professor Xavier had concluded that the source of their problems was nothing supernatural or fearful, but in fact something wonderful: their daughter Jean was a mutant, an immensely powerful telekinetic who had only begun to tap into her potential.

Over the next few months, Xavier courted the Greys, showing them the school for 'gifted youngsters' that he had created in order to help mutants like Jean master their gifts and use them for the betterment of the world around them. While initially skeptical, Jean's parents saw the incredible opportunity the school held for her......and with Jean still struggling to keep from, say, turning the car inside-out on a family drive, they didn't want her to end up as another tragic story of "mutant violence" on the news. At age thirteen, Jean left home and enrolled in the Xavier Institute.

Three years later, Jean Grey has entered her junior year at the Xavier Institute. She's head of her class, and a vocal activist in the growing mutant rights movement both online and in the streets. A few of her fellow students, including her crush Scott Summers, have been talking about sneaking out of the school and getting out into the world, using the lessons Professor Xavier has taught them to help people and show the world that mutants aren't dangerous 'monsters.' Donning masks and hopping into senior student Hank McCoy's van, they have quickly become something of urban legends, a band of rebellious do-gooders calling themselves the "X-Men."

Why this character?

Jean is a character that, for all of her importance to the Marvel Universe, was just never particularly interesting. I intend to change that, taking the teen-superhero dynamic that the original X-Men were based around and working from there.

"All right, muties, onto the truck!" the big one yells, shoving a young girl in a yellow coat towards an armored car. She turns around and spits at the big man in black fatigues, only to be met with a hard back-handed slap that spins her to the ground.

They call themselves the "Friends of Humanity." They're a well-funded, heavily-armed militia group operating in several cells throughout New England, all based around spreading their message of hate and fear of mutants. They've been rounding up anyone even suspected of having mutant abilities and then.....well, nobody's sure what happens to them after that, but it can't be good.

"What did I ever do to you, you creep?!" the girl says, wiping the blood from her mouth.

"You were born," the big man sneers, drawing a pistol from his shoulder holster. "Brother Creed wants you muties all brought in alive if possible, but well, every now and then sometimes we're just....forced to defend ourselves....."

"Okay, that's enough," I say, reaching out with my mind.

It's difficult to explain what the sensation is like. It's not quite 'grabbing' something like you would with your hand, because you don't feel the mass of the object, there's no weight to it. It's almost like pouring water into a vessel, letting the water take the shape of it. When I reach out for the man's gun, it's like.....part of me is the gun.

Part of me is every piece of the mechanism. And when I am every piece of something, I can see how those pieces fit together.....and how to take them apart.

The FoH militiaman stammers in shock as his gun completely disassembles itself right before his very eyes.

"Well, there goes the element of surprise," Scott says with a sigh before opening up his visor to let out a scarlet blast. "Free the prisoners, secure the intel--"

"And bug out before reinforcements come, yeah, yeah, we've got it," Bobby interrupts him, diving headfirst into the fray and freezing two more FoH gunmen in their tracks.

"Judging by my estimates, guys, we have about twenty minutes to complete the operation and clear the area if we want to get away without being tracked," says Hank, bursting from behind the treeline and flinging gunmen aside with one hand.

"Then let's quit talking about it and start kicking some ass!" Shouts Warren, swooping down from cloud level and grabbing the girl in the yellow coat.

"Okay then," I say, walking out towards the chaos, becoming one with scattered rocks and debris that I slam into our enemies. "Like the man said, X-Men....let's, erm, kick some ass."

Last edited:
kxtPWp5.jpg

Subject Name: Rachel Cole-Alves

Alignment (Hero, Villain, Walking the Line): WTL

Character Speech Color and Font (ex: Red Bold Veranda): Black and Bold

Powers and Abilities: No powers, but Rachel is a former Marine and is an expert soldier with a training in a variety of forms of conventional and unconventional warfare.

To know Rachel Cole-Alves' backstory, you first know about Frank Castle

November 12th, 1950: Francis Castle is born in Queens

July 28th, 1965: President Lyndon Johnson pledges to send nearly four hundred thousand troops to Vietnam, tripling the US commitment to fight Communist insurgents.

January 30th, 1968: Anti-Communist forces launch the Tet Offensive, pouring men and resources into the area and sending the conflict in Vietnam from police action to full-on war.

November 12th, 1968: Frank Castle enlists in the US Marine Corps

September 2nd, 1969: Sergeant Frank Castle ships out to join the 1st Marine Division as a platoon sergeant

December 25th, 1969: The Christmas Day Massacre wipes out half of Castle's platoon. He kills nearly a dozen attacking VC with a M60 machine gun. Castle is awarded medals for bravery and recruited for Special Forces work.

January 1st, 1970 - April 30th, 1974: HISTORY REDACTED AT THE REQUEST OF USMC FORCE RECONNAISSANCE

May 1st, 1974: Granted a battlefield commission to 1st Lieutenant, Frank Castle is honorably discharged from the USMC and sent home.

June 2nd, 1975: Frank Castle marries Maria Castle.

March 24th, 1976: Lisa Castle is born.

August 17th, 1978: Francis Castle Jr. is born.

July 26th, 1980: Maria, Lisa, and Frank Castle Jr. are all murdered, caught in a cross-fire at Central Park between mobsters. Severely wounded, Frank survives.

December 18th, 1981: Jimmy Rizzo and Carlo Andolini, the two hitmen who killed the Castle family on the orders of Dominic Scargetti are found not guilty by a jury of their peers. The same day, Frank Castle leaves his family home for the last time.

December 20th, 1981: Jimmy Rizzo and Carolo Andolini are found dead, their bodies tortured and mutilated.

December 22nd, 1981 - March 17th, 1982: Fifty-two made men and associates of the Scargetti Family are brutally murdered by an unknown assailant.

March 18th, 1982: Fearing for his life and safety, Dominic Scargetti turns himself over to members of the FBI and confess to numerous racketeering and conspiracy charges. He receives life in prison.

March 28th, 1982: Frank Castle mails a letter to the Daily Bugle with explicit photos of Scargetti Family members shortly before their murders. In the letter, Castle claims that the men killed were the first casualties in a new war on crime he is waging. Not as Frank Castle, but as The Punisher.

1982-2002: Using his military background and money from murdered criminals, Frank Castle wages his one man war with the criminal syndicates in America. Over a twenty year span, he kills at least a thousand men in thirty states in addition to another two hundred speculated murders around the US and abroad. Until September 11th, he is first on the FBI's Most Wanted List.

June 6th, 1984: Rachel Cole is born in Brooklyn

September 30th, 2002: Rachel Cole enlists in the US Marines Corps.

January 12th, 2003: The last known kill by the Punisher is recorded in Philadelphia, PA.

2003 - 2007: Gunnery Sergeant Cole serves with the USMC in both Afghanistan and Iraq. Cole enlists with the Marine Corps Forces Reconnaissance.

2007 - 2009: HISTORY REDACTED AT THE REQUEST OF USMC FORCE RECONNAISSANCE

February 13th, 2009: Cole is honorably discharged from the USMC

February 15th, 2009: Cole is hired by the Central Intelligence Agency as a "Security Advisor"

2009 - 2012: HISTORY REDACTED AT CIA REQUEST

November 11th, 2012: Cole returns to New York City and finds employment as a cable TV installer.

February 14th, 2013: Cole becomes engaged to marry Dr. Daniel Alves, a Brooklyn based dentist.

October 2nd 2013: 13 members of the Cole-Alves wedding party are gunned down at their reception by unknown assailants. The members of the wedding party are thought to have been unfortunate bystanders caught in the crossfire between the attackers and the men they were chasing. Among those killed include the groom Daniel Alves and mother of the bride Jessica Cole. Rachel Cole is wounded and rushed to surgery where she recovers.

November 16th, 2013: Rachel Cole-Alves is discharged from the hospital. At the same time, three associate members of the Brutenilli Crime Family are gunned down in the Bronx. The three dead men match eyewitness description of three of the shooters involved in the Cole-Alves wedding massacre.

November 18th, 2013: Seventy-three year old Frank Castle emerges from seclusion and approaches Rachel Cole-Alves at her home.

November 20th, 2013 - December 7th, 2013: The entire Brutenilli Crime Family is wiped out by two unknown assailants. Joseph Martinzio, the boss of the family, is found stabbed to death while wearing a bloody wedding dress.

December 19th, 2013: A fire breaks out at the Federal Maximum Security Penitentiary in Fishkill, NY. While the men are being escorted to safety, a man disguised as a corrections officer stabs the now ninety year old Dominic Scargetti to death with a rusty shiv. Inside the dead Don's pocket is a faded photo of Frank Castle in his family.

December 23rd, 2013: A dead body is discovered on the streets of Manhattan. It is positively identified as Frank Castle. An autopsy reveals that the man died of liver cancer that had metastasized years earlier and eaten at nearly every major organ in his body. Pathologist determine that he lived nearly ten years with the cancer eating away at his body.

January 1st, 2014: Fredo Lopes, a Spanish Harlem pimp suspected of killing two prostitutes, is gunned down in cold-blood by an unknown gunman. Carved into the dead man's forehead is a skull. A letter to the Daily Bugle and published the next day claim responsibility for the murder. The death was not justice: it was punishment. Frank Castle is dead, but his legacy lives on.

Why this character?

I like the Punisher and I like telling crime stories. Win-win, man.

La Araña Discoteca
Spanish Harlem

"The **** do you want, puta?"

The bouncer outside the nightclub didn't have time to get his answer. A powerful fist struck him in the face and drove him to the ground. The bouncer looked up, his sunglasses astray, and right into the blade of a butterfly knife. The clubgoers standing outside watched on in shock.

"Carlos Fring," Rachel said, placing the blade of the knife under the bouncer's eye.

"**** off!" The large man yelled.

"Wrong answer." Rachel raked the blade up the bouncer's face. The bystanders recoiled and horror and began to scatter.

"Ahhh!" The bouncer screamed. He held his bloody face with both hands. "He's in the back office!"

Rachel flicked the blade back into its handles and slid the knife back into the holster strapped to her thigh. She stepped over the bleeding bouncer and into the club, a sawed-off shotgun hidden under her coat. Strobe lights flashed and heavy, techo music blasted out the club's speakers. She navigated through the jumping and bumping throng of people towards the club's back offices.

A few hundred feet away, Carlos Fring sat at the desk in the club's backroom. He had his pants around his ankles and a woman's face buried into his crotch. While Carlos "relaxed", twin brothers Rob and Roy James were busy at a folding table in front of the desk. They were counting and weighing the half dozen bricks of cocaine and marijuana that were stacked on the table.

"This all?" Roy asked. "This ain't ****"

"Times are tough," Carlos said as he titled his head back and closed his eyes. "In a few more weeks we will have a full shipment. Relax. For now, get your people to...," Carlos lost his train of thought as the woman between his legs rolled her tongue. "... Just, business as usual. Smaller supply, cut it more."

On the main dance floor, Rachel started to climb up a flight of stairs when a pair of powerful hands grabbed her by the shoulders. She spun around and was brought face to face with a large, Latino man in a dark suit. He tried to shout over the music, but couldn't be heard. While he was shouting, Rachel leveled the shotgun at the man's stomach. The gun kicked in her hands and knocked the man back. The sound of the music masked the shotgun blast. The dying man tumbled down the stairs and came to a stop on the bottom step. One gyrating young girl saw the dead body and screamed before running towards the exit.

Rachel racked another round into the shotgun and turned around, quickly climbing the steps. Another guard was waiting at the top of the stairwell. Before the man could react, Rachel brought the butt of the shotgun up into his face. She drove the cartilage from the man's nose up and into his head, puncturing the brain stem. The guard collapsed to the ground, spasming from the brain injury that would kill him in a few seconds.

Rachel calmly walked down the hall leading towards the backroom. She was almost there when a black man jumped out and knocked the shotgun from her hands. The man drove Rachel into the corridor's wall and slammed up against her. The guard pummeled her with blows to the face. Rachel shook off the blows and headbutted the man in the face. The guard stumbled backwards and Rachel whipped out her knife, flicking the blade open as the guard charged. She took a glancing blow to the shoulder, but managed to drive the blade of his knife into the side of the man's neck. He cried out and fell to his side. Rachel loomed over him, her face bloody and bruised, and kicked the hilt of the knife further into the man's neck. He went to scream, but blood bubbled out of his mouth and ran out on the floor.

Rachel picked up her shotgun and kicked in the office door. Rob and Roy James looked up just in time to be hit with a blast of pellets. The twin brothers fell to the ground, their heads and chests covered in blood and buckshot. Carlos cried out in pain from behind the desk. The sudden shock of the gun had caused the woman between his legs to bite down.

"Crazy *****!" Carlos yelled. He rolled back and the woman underneath the desk popped up, blood and chunks of flesh coated her mouth. "You bit it off! ¡Oh, Dios. Me voy a morir! Maldita perra."

"Go," Rachel said, looking at the woman. She scurried off and Frank walked over to Carlos. The gangster held on to his bloody crotch and moaned. Rachel looked down at the bloody member laying on the floor. "I guess it's true what they say about men with little feet... I had planned to shoot you, but I think this is worse."

She kneed Fring in his crotch. "¡Dios mío," the man howled in pain and sobbed. Rachel grabbed Fring by his shoulders and looked him in the eyes.

"Now that I have your attention, you're going to deliver a message to Don Eladio... He's next."

Loving what I'm seeing so far. I'll have another app up this weekend. Just deciding which side of the coin to choose.

Character you would like to play (please include the color and font you plan on using to portray the character): Clint Barton: Hawkeye

Alignment: Hero

Character speech: Purple, bold. I'll pick a font later when I'm in a better situation.

Powers and abilities: A naturally talented physical specimen, expertly trained in swordsmanship and archery by global masters at the forefront of these skills. Remarkable hand-eye coordination, great acrobat. High level trained athlete in general.

Character origin / Back story (provide at least two sentences): Orphaned due to a car accident from an early age, Clint Barton spent much of his youth bouncing around orphanages. Before taking his chances and fleeing along with his brother, Barney, when the opportunity arose to escape to a nearby travelling carnival. Where great potential was seen in him, from one of the carnival’s star attractions. The younger Clint thrived learning the skills of his swordsman master, and a tremendous archer called Trick Shot who also was a member of the carnival. Clint somehow managed to work to keep his reputation clean, despite this pair of morally grey mentors and an upbringing that moulded him into a confident, self sufficient perfectionist reliant on his own hard work and effort.

Why this character?
Tried to play as Hawkeye previously and it never sat well with me that I dropped him because I had no greater plan or personal development in store for him. This happened because I planned use him purely for potential interactions with other RPGers and had no real stories planned.

This won't happen again. I think I've got a solid year one planned and I'll just let interactions happen organically around central stories.

Please provide a small sample post with original content in the style that you plan to write your character in (must be at least 3 paragraphs long and contain at least one line of dialogue):
Note: Sample is referring to an Avengers grouping that has not actually come together yet IC.

“Don’t you wreck this for us, Clint…”

The younger Barton aims at a target in the distance.

“I can’t hear you Barney, speak into my good ear…”

“That’s your problem, Clint… When someone’s saying something you don’t want to know, both your ears turn bad…”

Pulling the string back and the fletching by his cheek, his smile widened.

“All you ever want to do is run, Barney. You just don’t know how to deal with the fact that we’re onto a good thing here...”

Today

“Hawk. They’ll be coming down your alley any second, non-lethal ordnance and don’t let a single one through.” the voice of Tony Stark crackled through his communicator.

“As if you had to tell me, Tony… We’ll be home in time for your next drink. Unless you’ve got a wine cooler already built into that suit.”

“Don’t give him ideas, Clint...” came the chiding voice of Janet Van Dyne.

“Please… I’ve only had two today.” Came the reply from Iron Man.

“By today, do you mean Wednesday or Thursday..? It’s 2am Thursday now…”

“…”

“Yeah, I thought so… Just send ‘em through, already.”

“Here they come!”

“ITS IRON MAN! GET OUT! BACK DOOR! NOW!”

Maggia and A.I.M members flood out of the abandoned building where they’d been making their deal, whilst Hawkeye takes a single arrow from his quiver. Expertly places the nock on the string and draws it back. A smile crosses his face.

“Everything’s fine.” He muttered to himself and released. It was true now, even if it wasn’t all those years ago. Everything perfect.

The arrow hit the centre of the alley, a brief puff of gas was followed with thick foam which billowed forth, ensnaring most of the fleeing crooks.

“What was that, Clint?”

“I said you lot can all go take 5, this is my time...” As he picked off the stragglers with stun-arrows with the laughter of a man who loves his job hanging in his voice.

This thread's been up for 24 whole hours and nobody's posted a Spider-Man app yet? For shame, guys, for shame. Get your asses in gear, lest you force my hand....and let's be honest, nobody wants that.

Cap, Star-Lord, Jean, Rachel, and Hawkguy are all approved.

Now the question is do I apply for Spider-man since no one else is?

Slow your roll, son. :oldrazz:

I lost my damn app in an overheating accident :argh:

Last edited:
Will finish this up tonight or tomorrow.

daredevil98-final01.jpg

Character Name: Matt Murdock/Daredevil

Alignment (Hero, Villain, Walking the Line): Hero with shades of WLT​

Character Speech Color and Font (ex: Red Bold Veranda): Dark Red Franklin Gothic Medium/Bold for Daredevil

Powers and Abilities: While he was blinded at a young age, the accident also increased Matt's other senses to superhuman levels. He can feel words on a printed page and the displaced air around him, allowing him plenty of time to react to any attack thrown his way. His sense of smell is so powerful he can use it as a dog does, tracking his targets through a crowd. His sense of hearing is heightened to the point where he can hear people's heart beating, even allowing him to tell if they are lying. Daredevil's sense of balance is greater than any Olympic level gymnast. Matt has also developed a form of echolocation that allows him a rudimentary form of sight. While his senses are a requirement for battle, they also help him with detective and tracking work.

Through his training with the ninja master Stick, Daredevil is a mast of hand-to-hand combat, stealth, and espionage.

Thanks to his schooling, Matt is a master of New York law.

Matthew Murdock was born to down and out prize fighter Battlin' Jack Murdock in the Hell's Kitchen section of New York. Matt's mother died during childbirth, sending the already emotionally unstable Jack into a deep depression. Jack loved his son, and did all he could to raise the boy well, but he knew he couldn't raise a child on an aging fighter's winnings. Seeing no other option, Jack agreed to become a low level enforcer for the Maggia crime family.

Jack hid his secret life from his son, and the two were very close in Matt's younger years. The boy saw his father as a hero, who struggled to keep the family afloat through their troubled times. Matt was an inquisitive and kindhearted child, always helping anyone who he came across. He also believed deeply in right and wrong, which informed his choice to be a lawyer later in life.

Hell's Kitchen was not a place to raise a child, either. It was a haven for gang activity, and the Maggia, Kingpin, and Big Man were constantly fighting over turf in the area. It was during a particularly violent spell during Matt's teens that he came home after school to find his father murdered in their home. The following investigation dredged up everything Jack had done in service for the Maggia, and Matt's world was shattered.

Following the funeral of Jack, Matt wandered the streets in a daze, unable to process everything that had happened in the week prior. In his befuddled state, Matt nearly was struck by a truck which managed to swerve at the last second. Unfortunately, one of the containers it was carrying fell of the bed, shattering and splashing radioactive material into Matt's eyes, instantly blinding him.

The young man spent weeks in a hospital recovering, and while he did, he found his other senses had been raised to astronomical levels. It took days for the pounding of his superhuman hearing, smell, taste, and touch to quite to a low roar. Once he began to get his senses under control, Matt found that they almost more than made up for his lack of sight. He even found that he had a sort of radar sense that gave him a form of sight.

The time in the hospital also gave Matt time to think about what had happened. He understood why his father did what he had done, and Matt realized it wasn't Jack's fault. He had been raised in an environment like Hell's Kitchen. It was all he knew. From that day forward, Murdock swore that no family would have to be torn apart like this again.

Matt was shuffled through foster care, and attended high school at a Catholic school in Hell's Kitchen. He was not a religious person, but Matt found some of the imagery striking. made Dante's Inferno and the stories of Hell made a particularly strong mark on the young man's mind.

Matt finished high school and went to college to study law, graduating at the top of his class. It was during this time that he met Franklin "Foggy" Nelson, who would quickly become Matt's best friend.

After his schooling, he decided to travel for a spell, a decision that would forever change his life. It was on his journeys he met Stick, a blind ninja master who saw in Matt a great destiny. He told Murdock that he could teach him to hone his skills. Stick told Matt that he could train him to truly deliver justice to those that deserved it. Murdock agreed to be trained by the man, and spent the next three years becoming a master ninja under the tutelage of Stick.

It was during this time that Matt also had his first run in with the ancient ninja clan named The Hand. Ancient enemies of Stick's order, they attempted to kill him and his apprentice. It was then that Matt got his first real taste of combat as he and his master drove back the assassin's. Stick, deeming Murdock to be ready after this, sent him back to Hell's Kitchen.

When Matt returned, he and Foggy setup their own law firm dedicated to helping those that could not help themselves in the Kitchen. Matt, meanwhile, was planning his extracurricular activities. He fashioned a costume inspired by the demonic creatures of the levels of hell, and adapted the weapons Stick taught him into a special billy club.

Murdock's first case after returning was against a full-time mob enforcer that had happily beaten a man nearly to death due to late protection money. Thanks to a corrupt court system and plenty of bribes, Matt's client lost the trial. But Matt knew how he could repay the favor. Donning his costume for the first time, Matt took to the streets of the Kitchen and hunted the thug down, returning the beating he gave to the innocent man.

Matt left the goon with a warning for the rest of New York's criminals.

The Devil now walked the streets of New York.

And the Devil always gets his due.

Why this character?

I was looking for a grittier street level character for either DC or Marvel, and decided to try my hand at Daredevil.

He would remember this night for the rest of his life. It was the first night he had ever put on that costume, and the first time he ever picked up his club with the intent to use it. The bastard who had beaten his client half to death wouldn't be hard to find. Johnny Esposito was a distant relative of Silvio Manfredi, head of the Maggia crime family. That made him virtually untouchable. Thanks to that, he'd also be reckless after being cleared of all charges.

Matt clambered over the rooftops like he was strolling down the sidewalk. His sense of balance was impeccable, and each step fell exactly where they should have thanks to his touch. He could feel the air around him, and he knew when there was something to land on. Plus, his footfalls sent soundwaves bouncing off the surroundings, showing him all he needed to see.

Murdock perched himself above what he knew was Esposito's favorite watering hole as the skies opened and a torrential downpour began. The large drops splattered on the leather and Kevlar uniform. Matt cursed his luck. He'd have to concentrate extra hard to block out the noise of the rain, as it would interfere with his ability to fight properly.

He managed to do so as he heard the familiar sound of Johnny's voice echoing from below. H, his driver, and his bodyguard strolled to the alley next to the bar, where his car was waiting.

Silently slinking down to the fire escape below, Matt unhooked his billy club from his hip, unfurling the wire in it. When the men were in range, he expertly flung the hardened, blunt object at the driver and the bodyguard, knocking them out instantly. He then leapt on top of Esposito, knocking the wind out of him so he couldn't scream.

The mobster looked up at Matt, and the vigilante instantly realized his costume worked perfectly. Johnny stared with fear into the red eyes on his mask, and Matt sensed the faint odor of urine mixing with the puddle Esposito was now sitting in.

"Who...who are you!?" he stammered.

"I'm the devil, Johnny Esposito," the Devil growled. "And you are on my list."​

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"