DC TV Series Sandman: The Series

I don't mind them goosing the numbers if it helps the show get a second season because a second season is not a foregone conclusion. There is nothing wrong with releasing the episodes now. Why not?

Sure, Netflix does a lot of stupid stuff. So do all the other streamers. I was starting to think HBOMax was the best of the lot until recently. It is what it is. You say "business 101," I don't think any streaming service or media company functions on those principles any more. It's become a very convoluted, algorithm driven world that doesn't make much sense to those of us on the outside trying to look in.

HBO Max is learning the hard way streaming is not the behemoth everyone thought...

If the numbers are as good as Netflix is bragging about it doesn't need goosing. Just saying.

Loved both episodes. And damn, they managed to get a great cast for Dream of a Thousand Cats. Sandra Oh had the big role but everyone else like Michael Sheen, James McAvoy, David Tennant (though I’m not sure who both of them played), Nanso Anonzie pretty much had tiny little bits. It’s cool that this show is attracting so much talent.

As for the timing of these episodes, I agree with those saying that a wait between the releases would’ve helped the show remain in public consciousness for longer. Seasons have such long long gaps nowadays that having an extra couple of episodes in between would definitely build up and maintain the hype. Maybe even with an announcement for a new season afterwards. Dropping them pretty much immediately when everybody is still talking about the first batch of episodes doesn’t really make sense. Unless that leak forced their hand, which if true sucks that they were forced to do that.

Yeah, never underestimate the element of surprise. I know a lot of people who loved the show who had zero clue these bonus episodes were coming and now their hype is through the roof. I have seen a LOT of social media sharing about the show with this nice surprise.

Yeah, personally would I have preferred the episodes maybe a little later? Sure, but I think they wanted to get these out there before the GoT and LotR shows roll in and dominate those demos.

Loved the extra episodes. The cat story is one of my favourites from the run. It’s a good sign they can eventually adapt The High Cost of Living

I was literally wondering a week or so ago how or if they would even attempt adapting "Dream of a Thousand Cats" and then they dropped it on us. I really think certain stories may benefit in the animated form and hopefully they will continue to use animation for possible future stories.

Wishful thinking but maybe Apple or Amazon pick it up if Netflix cancels?

I’ll tell ya… if we end up not getting continuations of Sandman and The Batman - two of the best DC adaptations of all time if not THE best - I think I will just have to give up on DC films/shows entirely.

I don't know much about this but I binge watched this over the weekend and I loved it a lot. It's kinda funny seeing Tom in this role especially because I just watched Irma Vep (where he played a charismatic Robert Pattinson inspired movie actor). He's really good. He could've made this role so boring but the nuances he did paid off so nicely. I found the first half to be more enjoyable with episode 6 being the peak. The run of eps 4-5-6 was just brilliant IMO. I absolutely loved the bonus episode as well! It would've fit in nicely as ep 7 or something.

Last edited:
I don't know much about this but I binge watched this over the weekend and I loved it a lot. It's kinda funny seeing Tom in this role especially because I just watched Irma Vet (where he played a charismatic Robert Pattinson inspired movie actor). He's really good. He could've made this role so boring but the nuances he did paid off so nicely. I found the first half to be more enjoyable with episode 6 being the peak. The run of eps 4-5-6 was just brilliant IMO. I absolutely loved the bonus episode as well! It would've fit in nicely as ep 7 or something.

That’s funny; while watching this, there were times when Sturridge reminded me of Pattinson and it made me think Pattinson might have made a good Sandman too.

Maybe there’s an alternate reality where Rob plays Sandman and Tom is Batman. :funny:

That’s funny; while watching this, there were times when Sturridge reminded me of Pattinson and it made me think Pattinson might have made a good Sandman too.

Maybe there’s an alternate reality where Rob plays Sandman and Tom is Batman. :funny:

IIRC the two are actually good friends too. I remember some filmtwt folks bringing up how funny it must be for Tom to play a character in Irma Vep that's clearly based on Robert especially because they're buddies. :funny:

Could definitely see Pattinson working here too. He has that haunted look and demeanour down. :cwink:

IIRC the two are actually good friends too. I remember some filmtwt folks bringing up how funny it must be for Tom to play a character in Irma Vep that's clearly based on Robert especially because they're buddies. :funny:

Haha that is funny. Good on Rob for not taking himself too seriously and disowning his friend for playing a character based on him.

Dream of a Thousand Cats was a near perfect adaptation, my goodness. Loved it. Calliope episode was good, too, I preferred it over the Doll's House episodes. Nice surprise way to end a really good season of TV on a high note.

After those excellent bonus episodes, I'm going to feel absolutely gutted if this doesn't get renewed. It's easily some of the best content Netflix has put out in years and I definitely want to see more of this world.

Outside of Stranger Things and a couple of random shows here and there they don't have much high-quality content left IMO now that a lot of their best shows are either over or have been cancelled.

As far as streamers go I think Netflix still is one of the better ones for original movies but, yes, the number of really good original shows has dwindled down (unless you're one of the millions that love Virgin River for some reason). That said, they have a few promising shows in the pipeline, like the Wednesday Addams show, and recently both Arcane and Sandman have been excellent. Plus, I'm always down for a Flanagan limited series, and he has a couple coming soon (Midnight Club and House of Usher).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"