House of the Dragon Season 1 Episode 1 "The Heirs of the Dragon"

So I did Highthower really prostitute his daughter to the king to save his job as the Hand?
Or was Alicent just afraid meeting him because the loss of the queen made her remember the loss of her own mother recently
Maybe a bit of both?

So I did Highthower really prostitute his daughter to the king to save his job as the Hand?
Or was Alicent just afraid meeting him because the loss of the queen made her remember the loss of her own mother recently
It occurred to me that maybe if the king found favor with her maybe he would marry her? This would also help the Hand as well. I mean the king is young enough to remarry and have more kids with a young wife.

still creepy.
Hightower was the only one I sympathised in the council with until that scene.
but hey it’s like GoT…everyone has dirty laundry

I've never read anything from Fire & Blood, so I have zero idea of what to expect. And that's exciting.

Also... does anyone knows if this will be a regular show or some sort of anthology, with different generations of the Targaryens?

By the way, what did you guys think of the dragons?

I thought the red one was ugly, but I definitely appreciate the different "designs".

I thought the red one was ugly, but I definitely appreciate the different "designs".
I liked them well enough. Maybe I've just seen too many CGI Dragons to be blown away. *squeekness is spoiled*

Without getting too spoilery… I actually really liked how different Daemon’s red one looks, because the idea is supposed to be that his “Red Wyrm” isn’t the biggest or strongest by any measure, but like him and his sword Dark Sister, is still one of the deadliest.

The more wolf-like face gives it a different kind of aggression compared to the others, with nastier, more muscled jaws. It’s more serpentine body and second pair of “mini-wings” on its feet also make it come off more like a “hot rod” dragon than the usual “muscle car” thickness of others.

Meanwhile, Syrax (the princess’s dragon) is a lot more graceful and pretty.

Without getting too spoilery… I actually really liked how different Daemon’s red one looks, because the idea is supposed to be that his “Red Wyrm” isn’t the biggest or strongest by any measure, but like him and his sword Dark Sister, is still one of the deadliest.

The more wolf-like face gives it a different kind of aggression compared to the others, with nastier, more muscled jaws. It’s more serpentine body and second pair of “mini-wings” on its feet also make it come off more like a “hot rod” dragon than the usual “muscle car” thickness of others.

Meanwhile, Syrax (the princess’s dragon) is a lot more graceful and pretty.
I like the dragon descriptions here. :up::cwink:

Absolutely! This pilot had me diving into wikis, figuring out houses / roles, memorizing names, and theorizing about things to come. That's what the successor to GOT needed. We'll get plenty of big fights, dragons, and betrayals later.
Exactly as it should be when revisiting a fantasy show! They’ve done as good a job of moving the focus away from the negativity on GoT season 8 as I’d have thought possible. Feels like a back to basics approach in creating a new show with solid foundations rather than opening with anything controversial or relying on shock value and it feels so right to me. I really wasn’t sure how much interest I would have in this spinoff but I’m already thinking a lot about what comes next between episodes and could well be hooked if the next episode is as good.

Is the king a dragon rider as well? Or just Daemon and Rhaenyra?

Is the king a dragon rider as well? Or just Daemon and Rhaenyra?
When he was young he was the last rider of Balerion the Black Dread. The largest dragon that ever existed. In the books it's said that Balerion could swallow a horse whole.

1200px-Aegon_on_Balerion.jpg

This following piece of art is being used for Martin's new book Rise of the Dragon so I guess this is how Martin thinks of him:

the_black_dread_by_ertacaltinoz_df8g98o-pre.jpg

The Black Dread by ertacaltinoz on DeviantArt

His Skull:

aL8Dn8v_460s.jpg

FZuJ86tXwAIUkdR

Wiki link about him:

Balerion

He breathed black fire and could melt steel. An absolute unit.

Last edited:
For someone like me that only watched the shows and am not into the full lore with the books, I loved this first episode. This to me was already easily like 100 times better than GOT. This just feels a lot more focused.

Whereas the more GOT went on the more it annoyed me in all the things it was covering. It got too busy. And as for the later seasons and especially the final season of course well, I won’t go on rant about that again. Already did that after it ended. Just horrible stuff.

Also do we know how old Rhaenyra is in this episode?

It was clear what was he asking her to do with the classic "wear one of your mother's dresses" you know as one does lol

For someone like me that only watched the shows and am not into the full lore with the books, I loved this first episode. This to me was already easily like 100 times better than GOT. This just feels a lot more focused.

Whereas the more GOT went on the more it annoyed me in all the things it was covering. It got too busy. And as for the later seasons and especially the final season of course well, I won’t go on rant about that again. Already did that after it ended. Just horrible stuff.

it bolds well for us that the showrunner for this worked on the best episodes of the latter seasons
and hopefully avoid the same mistakes D&D made and that this story is finished so no vague outline to work from they have the material and GRRM is involved for the time being so that is another plus

I was taken back by how skinny it was but someone pointed out to me maybe that is for speed in air combat situations so different fighting styles possibly

Damn, they really pulled me back in again. It wasn’t great, some flaws from Thrones have been carried into here but I liked it a lot. Didn’t enjoy the “action” so to speak. The City Watch “attack” and the tourney were the least interesting bits. Scenes with character interactions and political intrigue were the most interesting. I liked most of the characters especially Daemon and Rhaenyra. I liked Alicent too but I’m waiting for Olivia Cooke on that one :o.
That childbirth was harrowing. I’m just glad they didn’t focus too much on the gore in that scene and more on Aemma’s shock and sense of betrayal. I thought the actress did a great job making you feel for her in such a brief screen time.
Overall I thought it was a really good introduction. I definitely want to keep watching. Oh and the dragons :wowe:. Love the look of Caraxes especially.
Yeah, the character interactions and political intrigue have always been my favourite part of GoT.

When he was young he was the last rider of Balerion the Black Dread. The largest dragon that ever existed. In the books it's said that Balerion could swallow a horse whole.

This following piece of art is being used for Martin's new book Rise of the Dragon so I guess this is how Martin thinks of him:

His Skull:

aL8Dn8v_460s.jpg

FZuJ86tXwAIUkdR

Wiki link about him:

Balerion

Thanks for that, love the lore.

All will be revealed in due time, but if you really wanna know:
Did they have sex in this specific instance? No. Viserys genuinely loved Aemma - Not enough to hesitate sacrificing her health and ultimately her life to get a son, but enough to not immediately start ****ing a teenager the day of the funeral. And Otto knows that.

But he is definitely taking the first step in pushing Viserys to consider Alicent as "marriage material."

His Skull:

aL8Dn8v_460s.jpg

FZuJ86tXwAIUkdR

Wiki link about him:

Balerion

Ah thanks for the info! I also remembered just now that Rhaenys was also a dragon rider.

Also do we know how old Rhaenyra is in this episode?

I think, like, 14 or 15?

I liked Daemons dragon. Rhaenyras looked to cgi for me

I enjoyed the episode, was it GREAT? No. But I didnt think GoT pilot was that great either tbh. Reintroducing us into the world was done at a good pace and Im interested in enough of the characters that of course ill be watching the series.
Yeah honestly GOT first season didn’t really hook me til like the 5th episode. That’s when it became appt tv for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"