Ms. Marvel Season 1, Episode 3 "Destined" (Spoiler Thread)

I love all the small bits. The stuff with her family and with her friends. But, its a Marvel project, so there must be PLOT with ACTION.

And its clear, the change in her powers is now definitely because of budget, as well as "linking her to the greater MCU". So, we got the expected Kree connection. That wasn't too surprising. But now, they are linking it to the Ten Rings, another change that greatly diminishes from the source material. And god, the action is so bad compared to what it could have been.

I greatly enjoy this show, but the changes are a constant source of frustration.

Just give me 8 episodes, because I need a full episode of Kamala and Nakia dealing with Kamala's powers.

budget "may" be a factor but i think it's more overall mcu change - feige said she was introduced at a certain period in the comics (inhumans b/c they didn't have the rights to mutants and wanted to shift away). he is now introducing her in this period of the mcu - which doesn't really have inhumans and my guess is they don't want to introduced them b/c mutants are coming soon.

Nitpick here but with the Homecoming movies and Ms Marvel now, they really need to get more imaginative with the song choices that are representing the kids of the MCU. Outside of Blinding Lights that kicked off the Ms. Marvel premiere, most of the songs have been from the 80s to early 90s or even older. While that pleases me, I find it implausible that teenagers are constantly looking up The Ramones, Flock of Seagulls, Bon Jovi, or The Ronettes when they're much more likely searching K-pop. And I'm not saying the kids would never listen to those acts or just K-pop or Hip Hop, just that Marvel should mix it up more. I get they want to be careful and not choose something so current that it ages the show five years down the line but if they go back say 3 to 4 years they can find songs that are already standing the test of time. It's why I respect the Into the Spiderverse soundtrack. It sticks with music that works for us adults but seems reasonable that teens would listen to.

Anyway not a deal breaker by any means, just kind of becoming a funny trend.

Last edited:
Well they did play some Swet Shop Boys, MIA, Hasan Raheem, and a ton of other south Asian artists in just three episodes alone.

I agree on the villains' heel turn being too fast (or not fast enough). I think it'd have been better if either they tried to convince Kamala more that they needed help urgently before moving on to attacking her, or if when Kamran brought her to their home they just immediately said "we need you to come with us and help right now" and then got agitated and eventually aggressive when Kamala shows reluctance to immediately go along with everything without getting to think about it or doing research and tries to leave and go home.
Going from "could you please help us?" and getting a 'yes' response to immediately "You're going to a wedding? Guess you've betrayed us, prepare to die" felt really weird.

Also it felt like everyone except Najma and Kamran suddenly just lost their personality when attacking. Like it felt as if the one guy that was goofing off watching Zoe's tiktoks or whatever and kind of teasing Kamran about only being 17 just became a mindless silent stoic fighting robot in the same way as the others. Would've been nice if they had talked a bit or in some way showed their individual personalities.

Also hope they do have (or later in the show receive) some interesting powers. It's kind of boring that they're just punching or swinging weapons.
In the comics
Kamran has Inhuman light energy-powers that allow his body to glow and to discharge stored energy into objects to make them explode, which could easily fit with the Noor-dimension stuff.

The Clan Destine in the comics have a wide variety of powers among their members. Some have things like telepathy, healing, strength, enhanced perception, magic armor, gravity manipulation, light beams, etc.

And one other thing I was wondering about. I'm not muslim, but it seemed a bit weird to me that when Nakia enters Kamala's room and faceplants on the bed she's not wearing her hijab. I get that it doesn't matter if she's not wearing it in front of Kamala, but it seems like she came in like that. Wouldn't it be an issue since Yusuf and Aamir could see her without it since she's in their house?

Last edited:
The Djinn were pretty lame, but the rest of the season has been really amazing. Enjoying it a lot!

Yeah, I'm greatly enjoying this. I'm also very happy to see Muslim people being happy for how the show is representing their culture.

Still very much enjoying this. The power change is still something that isn’t ideal, but given that, there are still some nice uses of these different powers. The wedding was fun too.

Shout out to Aamir securing the bag.

d3a67f8a2e3f683cba2bac7b959ae087b838d56f.gifv
Dude knows what’s important. :funny:

The wedding scene was a big highlight. I'm a little disappointed with the idea of Kamala being Djinn instead of Inhuman (it also undermines the Kree/Captain Marvel connection), but I do like that it's part of her heritage, not just a magic bangle. That being said, the ClanDestine themselves are pretty lame compared to Alan Davis's work.

Speaking of Alan Davis, I can't help but think of Excalibur with the train.

I agree on the villains' heel turn being too fast (or not fast enough). I think it'd have been better if either they tried to convince Kamala more that they needed help urgently before moving on to attacking her, or if when Kamran brought her to their home they just immediately said "we need you to come with us and help right now" and then got agitated and eventually aggressive when Kamala shows reluctance to immediately go along with everything without getting to think about it or doing research and tries to leave and go home.
Going from "could you please help us?" and getting a 'yes' response to immediately "You're going to a wedding? Guess you've betrayed us, prepare to die" felt really weird.

Also it felt like everyone except Najma and Kamran suddenly just lost their personality when attacking. Like it felt as if the one guy that was goofing off watching Zoe's tiktoks or whatever and kind of teasing Kamran about only being 17 just became a mindless silent stoic fighting robot in the same way as the others. Would've been nice if they had talked a bit or in some way showed their individual personalities.

Also hope they do have (or later in the show receive) some interesting powers. It's kind of boring that they're just punching or swinging weapons.
In the comics
Kamran has Inhuman light energy-powers that allow his body to glow and to discharge stored energy into objects to make them explode, which could easily fit with the Noor-dimension stuff.

The Clan Destine in the comics have a wide variety of powers among their members. Some have things like telepathy, healing, strength, enhanced perception, magic armor, gravity manipulation, light beams, etc.

And one other thing I was wondering about. I'm not muslim, but it seemed a bit weird to me that when Nakia enters Kamala's room and faceplants on the bed she's not wearing her hijab. I get that it doesn't matter if she's not wearing it in front of Kamala, but it seems like she came in like that. Wouldn't it be an issue since Yusuf and Aamir could see her without it since she's in their house?

im pretty sure I saw her have it on when she walked in The room and yanked it off as she dove in the bed.

Not as great as the first two episodes but still fairly solid. I knew going into this that the villains and action wasn't going to be all that great, although I don't mind the action being somewhat meh since it makes sense given the context. The wedding was pretty fun and there were some other fun moments throughout.

I could see Lintz (Bruno) as a Peter Parker after this episode too, for sure. Episode 4 awaits me tomorrow night.

Nitpick here but with the Homecoming movies and Ms Marvel now, they really need to get more imaginative with the song choices that are representing the kids of the MCU. Outside of Blinding Lights that kicked off the Ms. Marvel premiere, most of the songs have been from the 80s to early 90s or even older. While that pleases me, I find it implausible that teenagers are constantly looking up The Ramones, Flock of Seagulls, Bon Jovi, or The Ronettes when they're much more likely searching K-pop. And I'm not saying the kids would never listen to those acts or just K-pop or Hip Hop, just that Marvel should mix it up more. I get they want to be careful and not choose something so current that it ages the show five years down the line but if they go back say 3 to 4 years they can find songs that are already standing the test of time. It's why I respect the Into the Spiderverse soundtrack. It sticks with music that works for us adults but seems reasonable that teens would listen to.

Anyway not a deal breaker by any means, just kind of becoming a funny trend.
Well, to be fair it wasn't Kamala listening to Bon Jovi, it was her parents.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"