Moon Knight Season 1, Episode 3: "The Friendly Type" (SPOILERS)

I enjoyed this episode. Egypt is a new setting in the MCU and I am glad that the MCU is expanding locations on Earth.

Some comments:

1. Hey, neat to see another pantheon show up, and with a decent-ish reason why they are not overly involved. Though, something I note: despite being the Ennead there are only five at the council aside from Khonshu. I wonder if the absent deities are dead, completely departed from Earth, simply didn't bother to show up for the council, or if perhaps the Ennead have been imprisoning more than a few of their former members?

2. On one hand, you'd think a pantheon of gods would have a better way to interrogate the truthfulness of mortals. . . but on the other hand, they kind of showed why they might not. Specifically, Khonshu absolutely *does* come off as that crazy half-unhinged cousin. They take him at his word to the same extent that someone would take Rorschach at his word, and for the same reason.

3. That said, while Khonshu is definitely an ******* and rather maladjusted, I think this episode points heavily towards him actually being sincere, and not Secretly The Villain. I mean, it could be he's just fanatical about The Mission, but still, he's willing to sacrifice himself in the name of said mission and put his trust in others, even others he doesn't like. That's certainly a sign.

4. Oh, speaking of which, definite evidence of a third personality at play. To the surprise of few, sure, but still. And is it just me, or does Steven seem to be a *little* more well-adjusted and functional in this episode? Could be just chance and reading clouds, but it could also be that a Steven whose not completely locked out from the rest of his mind, is a Steven that has fewer issues functioning.

I watched this episode when I’d had no sleep and was drifting in and out of semi-consciousness and had pretty much had no idea what was going on. Think I might have skipped a chunk in the middle too lol. Will try again probably tomorrow morning to give it a fair shot.

This episode was fun and I just love this show. It vibes with me. I am not mad at the Mr. Knight thing cause they do need a short hand so we know who is in control and it is easiest visual way.

But I wonder given Loki introduced us to He Who Remains, I wonder if Rama Tutt may not get mentioned in this show. I would see that as more likely than En Sabah Nur.

I see the Council of Gods here getting slaughtered or found dead at the end of the series as a L&T tie in.

My sentiments exactly. I love this show and it's getting more and more interesting to me.

Ehh. . . see, here's the thing. He Who Remains wasn't just a teaser of future works, he was the actual, and logical, answer to an actual story point in the Loki series- "Who is behind the TVA and why?"

Unless Ammit turns out to be an alias for Gorr, Gorr showing up and slaughtering some Egyptian gods would serve no narrative purpose in *this* story. It would be a major huge plot point, that is also entirely tangential and distracting.

Wow another great fun episode, with lots to take in. This is probably my most favourite show so far of the MCU efforts. Oscar has a lot of good material to chew on, playing a character with more than one personality and he is making the whole thing really entertaining and interesting. The action, while maybe not the best thing ever is at least stylized and shot in a unique way for a tv show when he's is in the suite anyways.

Not fully understanding everything thats getting said all the time as there is a lot of talk of gods and things but it doesnt hang about or drag along like some other shows have. Good stuff.

Ehh. . . see, here's the thing. He Who Remains wasn't just a teaser of future works, he was the actual, and logical, answer to an actual story point in the Loki series- "Who is behind the TVA and why?"

Unless Ammit turns out to be an alias for Gorr, Gorr showing up and slaughtering some Egyptian gods would serve no narrative purpose in *this* story. It would be a major huge plot point, that is also entirely tangential and distracting.
Eh, I think some version of one god or multiple gods getting killed could work as a last episode post-credits scene could work. It's not like Skrulls were relevant to WandaVision or Blade to Eternals or Thanos' Ship to Thor: Ragnarok. It doesn't need to be a long scene of Gorr killing all the gods. It could just be the death of one of them being discovered by the others or something like that

This episode was a mixed bag. Thought the directing was the worst of the bunch, and the first half mostly sucked. Still hate all the lame infusions of humor at times. Isaac is really carrying both the show and my interest at the moment. Still enjoying it and am curious to see where it goes. Just a little less enthused given how almost all the other MCU shows have kinda petered out toward the end.

Last edited:
Another enjoyable episode. My only issue so far in the show is the suit seems too overpowered being bullet proof and having instant healing factor. Also kinda wondering why the suit can stop bullets, but not giant spears. :huh:

The plot line for the series is all over the place so far. The first episodes were about a guy who might have multiple personalities and was slowly unraveling.

Then in this episode we jump straight into an action adventure show. I’m totally lost as to how his wife just always know where to find him at the right time. The actress playing her is as exciting as paint drying.

Then you have the gods. Marc and Konshu’s banter comes off derivative of Venom and Tom Hardy. Then these gods hear that a former avatar is trying to find a tomb, and when they question him, they just take his word for it. I’m sure they mentioned it, but I still don’t know why Harrow is trying to find Amit or bring her back. Or why she was banished in the first place.

The only thing really keeping me watching is Oscar Isaac

Loved this episode. Ethan is so good as Harrow, the way he used Marc's DID against him in the trial was disgusting. Oscar Isaac is just perfect in this, I've seen him in other things but he really impressed me in this. Great casting. I know he's a jerk, but I'm really enjoying Khonshu. I felt bad for him when he was imprisoned. Layla is great too. I don't know why, but I'm enjoying this show more than I did any of the previous Disney plus shows, maybe its because I didn't know anything about these characters prior to the show.

Those 'gods' sure are easy to con, geez

The big action sequence and the chemistry between Isaac and May Calamawy were the highlights of this episode for me.

I'm enjoying the show enough but something about it just isn't clicking for me.

I feel like the only character that's been interesting so far is May Calamawy and maybe Ethan Hawke.

Overall, this show so far cares too much about plot and there are not enough character study scenes that "settle down". I personally wish we get more stuff like the boat scene.

**** yeah…this was a movie not an episode of a series

I enjoyed this week's episode, but not as much as the first two episodes. That being said I really did love the Egyptian flavor of the episode overall aswell as seeing a bit more of the brutal side of Marc Spector.

Sure, the fight choreography could be a bit better, but it was still pretty badass seeing Moon Knight take out all those badguys at once, especially seeing him use those long-range attacks.

I'm still very much invested in this show and all the cool mythology they keep introducing which to me is probably some of the most interesting stuff the MCU has done in a while IMO.

Also, Rest in Peace to Gaspard Ulliel. I completely forgot he had passed away earlier this year and while I wasn't that familiar with his work its always sad seeing such a young dude die at such an early age.

btw so awesome, that they draw so much inspiration from the Lemire run. That was my favourite Moon Knight story.

I find the writing for this show wildly uneven and awkward.

The way they've executed Moon Knight himself is awkward and just not cool and fun. None of this really seems like Moon Knight to me.

I like some of Isaac's performances, but the trial scene was bad. I like the visual of the star sequence, but I found the writing of that sequence sort of silly and pointless.

The Ennead avatars and the gods themselves come off as rather dumb and dimwitted.

Having been to Egypt I'm a sucker for Egyptian mythology, and any show that goes to Cairo, because Cairo is an amazing place, with incredible people- everyone should go there. Cairo Time is an incredibly boring movie, where Patricia Clarkson breaks a bunch of cultural taboos and bores the audience to death ( Alexander Siddig is awesome though) but it's worth watching just to see Cairo.

Never really had much interest in Moon Knight, this show had an uphill climb with me.....and it just hasn't done it.

This show manages the impressive feat of being both over the top melodramatic and underwhelming at the same time. Somehow Oscar Isaac's performance and the frantic storytelling just doesn't engage me.

The music in Ep 1 and 2 was incredibly OTT, but when they added the middle Eastern influences in ep 3, that really balanced it out, made it feel grounded and connected to the world around it.

The fight scenes are just sort of....meh. The CGI is crappy - other than Khonshu, who is pretty impressive, although he should really speak an ancient language rather than English with 21st century idioms - I'd be happy with subtitles.

I do like that they went with the "servant of an Egyptian god" rather than the "Batman knock off" version.

I suppose my other problem with this show is it introduces yet another shadowy group working behind the scenes in the MCU ( the Avatars of the gods) . I mean, this seems odd in a universe where life was created by the Celestials, how do gods factor in?

Yeah, this is not a bad show - and wayyy better than FATWS or LOKI, but kind of underwhelming.

Still, I give the first 2 episodes a 6/10, but I'm giving this episode an 8/10 just for the setting - if they go to Abu Simbel, I'll give that a 9/10 - because Abu Simbel is like being in an Indiana Jones movie, for real.

Also at this time I'd like to extend my best wishes to all our Muslim brothers and sisters who are celebrating Ramadan at the moment. All the best for this special time.

I find the writing for this show wildly uneven and awkward.

The way they've executed Moon Knight himself is awkward and just not cool and fun. None of this really seems like Moon Knight to me.

I like some of Isaac's performances, but the trial scene was bad. I like the visual of the star sequence, but I found the writing of that sequence sort of silly and pointless.

The Ennead avatars and the gods themselves come off as rather dumb and dimwitted.

Yeah, I totally agree with those criticisms.

I would add that because Moon knights powers are very poorly defined because they're "magic" ( his Cape is bullet proof, but his suit can be pierced by spears, without causing any damage to his body ?) that renders them in the realm of plot devices - he has the powers he needs to keep the story going.
This makes it harder to get invested in his struggles.

Boundaries and limits are very helpful for defining a character. Even very powerful heroes, like Superman, who have well defined powers are easier to engage with than heroes who have really nebulous abilities - the Silver Surfer almost runs this risk, because his cosmic power is capable of such a wide range of effects, but good writers put limits on it, usually how much cosmic power he can expend before having to rest and recharge.

On the flipside, I'd like to praise the continuing development of Arthur Harrow - he reminds me a lot of an extreme version of my brother in law, who's a chiropractor so well acquainted with handing out pain, and obsessed with "healing".

Ethan Hawke's final scene in Ep 3 was the single best bit of acting in the show so far - I know a lot of people love Oscar Isaac, but I feel he looks pretty mediocre next to a superior talent like Hawke.

Last edited:
Don’t get the criticisms of this episode, I enjoyed it a lot.

The show is making me interested in the character for the first time that’s for sure

It's fine. I can see why people are liking and enjoying the show. This show it's probably better if you have less knowledge of the comics and Moon Knight to enjoy it more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"