Moon Knight Season 1, Episode 2: "Summon the Suit" (SPOILERS)

Wonky CGI aside I am really beginning to love this so far despite the lack of action. Ethan Hawke is just all kinds of awesome in this show and has such a great presence whenever he is onscreen.

I'm glad I'm so unfamiliar with this world and these characters because I love going into something not knowing what to expect or where it will go next, and it's definitely doing a good job at keeping me guessing.

Oscar Issac is really killing it too and the genuine tension between the Steve Grant and Marc Spector personalities is quickly becoming one of my favorite aspects about this show.

I am beyond hyped for next week's episode at finally seeing some action in Egypt which will hopefully make this feel even more unique compared to past MCU shows/movies.

Will be interesting to see how Marc and Steve eventually learn to live with each other and work towards the same goals.

Wonky CGI aside I am really beginning to love this so far despite the lack of action. Ethan Hawke is just all kinds of awesome in this show and has such a great presence whenever he is onscreen.

I'm glad I'm so unfamiliar with this world and these characters because I love going into something not knowing what to expect or where it will go next, and it's definitely doing a good job at keeping me guessing.

Oscar Issac is really killing it too and the genuine tension between the Steve Grant and Marc Spector personalities is quickly becoming one of my favorite aspects about this show.

I am beyond hyped for next week's episode at finally seeing some action in Egypt which will hopefully make this feel even more unique compared to past MCU shows/movies.
Yes, I'm hyped that they are going to be showing some scenes in Egypt next episode (hopefully) and I heard that Egypt is going to be brought to screen faithfully as that is very important to the show director.

I don’t get the complaints about bad cgi. Is there another show that has good cgi that I can compare this to? Maybe if I see it side by side, I’ll be able to tell the difference.

So, I'm really enjoying this show. Oscar Isaac supremacy. I'm loving the performance. The character has been really interesting to learn about and there have been a lot of great character moments thus far.

But holy freaking hell, can Feige just let the production do what it wants for entire episode? Why is he forcing the awful technical issues of the films into the show. The editing almost single-handedly ruined this episode. How many great camera shots are you going to ruin with terrible useless editing? Jesus Christ was it annoying in this episode. I thought it was a one off with that first one, but several freaking times in this? The director and cinematographer clearly had the skill to pull it off, just let it freaking breathe. They did once at the end of the episode and it was great. As an editor myself, it was offensive at times.

Not to mention the horrific comedy during the Mr. Knight sequence. Bleh. Stop.

Without completely spoiling myself before I saw the episode, I saw the complaint some people on the internet had with the treatment of Mr. Knight and how it ruined or brought down the entire episode. So, when the scene came up, I braced myself for the potential whiplash, and...

Really? That was it? That was what people were complaining about? F***ing Khonshu, film Twitter/film school people/people on the internet/people on message boards are overdramatic. This is why the internet does not represent real world opinions when it comes to media.

Granted, I’m pretty nitpicky myself when it comes to these things, and I’ll admit the scope of my Moon Knight comic knowledge is very limited, but that issue was completely overblown.

Ok, I get it. Some people have with complaints with the MCU brand of humor intruding on certain scenes in all of the TV series/films, and I wouldn’t be lying if that sometimes rubbed me the wrong way as well. But, this is an adaptation of the character, and I’ve come to terms with certain changes that may happen. Whatever Steven was saying or doing was completely in character what we know of him so far or how he acts in certain situations. This wasn’t your typical MCU humor thing; this was a Steven Grant thing.

TL;DR — This ain’t it, chief.

Episode was great. Khonshu is great. Oscar Isaac is great. Show is still great/engaging, and I’m still looking forward to seeing what happens.

I'll give them props for having Steve speak actual modern London slang/dialect with stuff like Wagwa, bruv and innit. A lot the time in American movies/Tv shows they have characters from London speaking or using slang really outdated that hardly anyone under the age of sixty uses.

I don’t get the complaints about bad cgi. Is there another show that has good cgi that I can compare this to? Maybe if I see it side by side, I’ll be able to tell the difference.

The Mandalorian, except that uncanny Valley Luke

Last edited:
Knowing nothing about the comics, I’m enjoying the sense of this being remote from the MCU thus far. Issac and Hawke are both doing an amazing job making their characters feel complex and relatable—despite the latter’s radical ideology. The only issues I have are the tone seems off meaning the subject matter is extremely dark, but because this is a Disney+ show, I can tell they can’t push some of the violence as much as the creative minds behind it probably wanted to. That being said, it’s nice to see as much profanity as we did in this week’s episode.

John Campea just had his review of episode two: He loved episode two better than episode one and he loved episode one.
Sorry and not to be rude, but I'm not sure why people bother to bring Campea up here. He's an okay entertainment personality or whatever he is, but his opinions mean very little to me

Much better episode here but I was getting tired of Steven. Not that I don't like him, but I want Moon Knight, I want Marc Spector. It wouldn't bother me so much if it wasn't just 6 episodes but feels like a budget thing. Especially with the "air fight" for most of this one. (Yes, I know Steven is important for understanding the character and all that, but still)

Ethan Hawke has such a presence to him, I'm enjoying him a ton in this and of course Isaac is killing it, but I'm not sure how much I'm digging this outside of that so far. Looks like things are really going to start picking up in the next episode though. Can't help but think this show would work much better as a binge after seeing the first two episodes.

I quite enjoyed this episode. The Moon Knight action was great (if too infrequent), and there's still so much we don't know. Ethan Hawke just CHEWS that scenery up every time he's on screen. I'm hoping we get to maintain the switch from Steven to Marc for a bit.. would be nice to change it up and get more info on Marc.

Two complaints from an otherwise highly enjoyable episode:

- Khonshu CGI was looking pretty rough in some spots. Would love to see what a practical costume would look like.
- The decision to make the Jackal invisible. It was interesting to watch/brought some humour to the fight scene.... but it also dragged the fight scene down imo.

Sorry and not to be rude, but I'm not sure why people bother to bring Campea up here. He's an okay entertainment personality or whatever he is, but his opinions mean very little to me

It's more to do with who he does the show with. Robert Meyer Burnett is a HUGE Moon Knight fan and we're more interested in maybe his opinion of the episodes. John's opinion comes as an extra.

Better than the first ep but title should be “Summon the Soup”.

I'm curious to see if we'll see Steven grow any closer to either comic Steven or comic Mr. Knight over time. He's just starting to get involved with Marc, Khonshu, Moon Knight and all that for the first time now. But now that the cat's out of the bag, he might have to become more confident and take on some role in the operation of Moon Knight.

I don't think he'll become a milllionaire, but perhaps he could get some new source of income and handle Moon Knight's finances going forward, he was the one with a normal job after all.

Making Moon Knight and Mr. Knight just be Marc and Steven in the suit respectively does leave me to wonder how they'll deal with Jake, if he's even part of this at all. In the comics Mr Knight seems on the one hand more fancy, more suave, wearing a nice suit, driving a limo, etc. which fits more with comics Steven (but not so much MCU Steven), while his job of working with police and doing more investigative detective work feels like it fits more with Jake. If here Steven is Mr. Knight, how would Jake use the MK suit ability? What would he look like? And what role will Steven and Jake fill? I think Steven could become a somewhat decent Mr. Knight if he goes through a lot of development: we've been shown that while he's a bit of a wimp and a klutz, Steven is also well-read, studious, has an eye for detail and likes puzzle solving. Perhaps with more experience under his belt he could start to operate as more of an investigator type as opposed to Marc being the mercenary who deals with the action and only has his eye on the mission. But then if Steven is doing investigation and puzzle solving, what's left to do for Jake who usually gathers information and does detective work? Or alternatively if Mr. Knight won't do Jake's detective work, what will he do? I guess they could split it so Steven has book smarts but lacks social skills and Jake is good at socializing and has street smarts so he can deal with people, but isn't as bright when it comes to academics and such?

Okay so I feel like we might see Jake this season. We often see a triple reflection and even in the credits there's often 3 Oscar Isaac faces.
And I was also thinking, we know Steven didn't ask the girl out in episode 1. So at this point presumably it's Marc. But given that we now know that Marc was still married to Layla, clearly still cares for her and chose to stay away from her for her safety, why would he ask some random girl out on a date? Wouldn't that feel like a betrayal of Layla and wouldn't that risk putting the girl he goes on a date with at risk? I just don't see Marc asking her out given how focussed on the Harrow plot he has been. He must've also known he couldn't make the date. Could it have been Jake who asked her out?

Psycho Colonel Sanders!

:funny:

It's more to do with who he does the show with. Robert Meyer Burnett is a HUGE Moon Knight fan and we're more interested in maybe his opinion of the episodes. John's opinion comes as an extra.
And that's fine but he's brought Campea's name up several times in several different threads. I won't highjack this thread though

I'll give them props for having Steve speak actual modern London slang/dialect with stuff like Wagwa, bruv and innit. A lot the time in American movies/Tv shows they have characters from London speaking or using slang really outdated that hardly anyone under the age of sixty uses.
Yeah, I was surprised when he started dropping these. :funny: Not a terrible effort.

Oh, something else I noticed. When Harrow took the scarab from the homeless guy, he seemed to drain his life and kill the guy *without* doing the weighing-of-souls ritual. Could be meaningless, or it could mean that some or all the rest are occult theatrics.

Characters from the comics in smaller, less recognizable roles continue after Crawley being the golden man.

The two "police officers" that take Steven to Arthur Harrow are called Bobbi and Billy. Bobby and Billy were the orderlies looking after Marc Spector in a supposed mental institution in the Lemire run.
IMG_26E0DF5F0C3F-2-1-1024x363.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"