Moon Knight Season 1, Episode 6 "Gods and Monsters"

Pretty darn good finale. Layla was the MVP and her suit and powers were awesome, can't wait to see more of her. The action was much better here too, particularly the fights between Ammit and Khonshu and seeing Moon Knight and Mr Knight seamlessly switch back and forth was pretty cool too. The blackout on how he handled Harrow was a no-go though like why?

Overall this show was a mixed bag for me. It ended on a high enough note but I didn't particularly care for the first four episodes. I'm a little intrigued by a season two, mostly due to the credits scene here but aside from that? Eh, we'll see.

Probably my least favorite of the D+ series so far, either this or Loki. Based on what I've heard and read, they really MCU'd Marc and Moon Knight as a character which is a bit of a shame.

I don't know I liked Loki the best. It is because it's still a part of the MCU but I liked that they didn't shoehorn in MCU cameos and the way they showed the other MCU characters (via TVA having footage of the other MCU characters) was highly creative.

So, yeah that was definitely another lame Marvel finale. The last 15 minutes of this episode sucked hard, and quite frankly the tease didn't really do much for me other than just cause confusion. I did think the action was kind of creative with the switching between Marc and Steven.

Episode 5 was truly the standout episode, which is funny since it's the one episode that resembles none of the others in any important way. Still don't get the whole point of the mental hospital aspect.

Isaac and Hawke were really the only reasons to watch start to end. Absolutely fantastic throughout. I would've liked more of a show about this character trying to come to terms with his DID and the trauma behind it. Far more compelling stuff than all the gods stuff.

Loved it. I think they earned an action-packed ending considering how much time they spent getting to know Marc-Steven. The post-credit was faaantastic and I really want to see a lot more of this character. Also didn't expect May Calamawy's Layla to be so great!

It will be no surprise that I also think we need more Moon Knight content.

Besides Jake, obviously, the post-credits had a couple of things I found interesting.
First, Jake drives the limo that Mr. Knight uses in the comics. Wonder where he got the funding for that or whether Khonshu helped him get it or something?
Moon-Knight-Limo.jpg

Secondly, we see Khonshu rockin' his suit, rather than his ancient look. This is also in the comics. Since it's implied that Steven is the first one to wear a modern suit here, I like to imagine that Steven inspired Khonshu in this case.
AAWVckk.img

Thirdly, everyone was saying that Jake should be a New Yorker, but I think making him lean more into Oscar Isaac being Latino (Guatemalan, with a Cuban father) is a very interesting choice. I think that sets him aside from Marc more than if he had been a New Yorker, and it may lend to more opportunity for Latino superhero representation.

I don't think Layla's in the comics (at least not the ones I read), so her getting to suit up as well was a nice surprise.
She's a amalgamation of two characters I think, one of which is very minor.

The first one as many probably already know is Marlene Alraune, Moon Knight's usual girlfriend. Layla and Marlene share a relationship with Marc as well as the fact that their father was the lead archeologist that got killed because of Bushman on the mission to the ancient tomb where Marc would first become Moon Knight.
Marlene-Alraune-Marvel-Comics-Moon-Knight.jpg

The second one is Mehemet Faoul. Or really the whole Faoul family. Layla's father in the show was named Abdallah El-Faouly. In the comics Abdul Faoul was a character that during the WWII period worked to rid Egypt of British colonial rule and influences. Because of this he initially allied with the Germans against the British. When the Invaders appeared to help the Allied forces, El-Faouly tricked them in giving him access to a tomb where he would obtain the scarlet scarab, an artifact that would give him superpowers which he used to fight against the Invaders as "The Scarlet Scarab". Eventually he saw that the Nazis treated the Egyptians just as badly and they would betray him, so he helped the Invaders fight against the Nazis, though he still disliked that foreign powers were meddling in Egypt and would still dislike Invaders member Union Jack in particular. He'd go on to protect Egypt until his death, after which his son Mehemet Faoul would go on a search to find the scarlet scarab to follow in his father's footsteps, which he eventually succeeded in. These are minor characters in the comics, but also note how Layla's father notably wore red scarf with a scarab pattern and called Layla his "little beetle". I hope that we see Layla's costume to be updated to incorporate a bit more red or magenta, given the name and its inspirations.
Scarlet-Scarab-Marvel-Comics-Invaders.jpg
69ad6832717eeda0d42736ab397c36ba.jpg

So now that we know Layla becomes the Scarlet Scarab as avatar for Taweret in the show, I feel like it would've made a lot more sense to have a different god either take Taweret's place in the show or appear in addition to her. Don't get me wrong, I really liked Taweret, but Layla's suit and powers as the Scarlet Scarab don't really seem to match Taweret's divine domain or her hippo-ness. Khonshu the moon god has a moon knight, but Taweret who was named as goddess of women and children has a flying scarab knight?
Who I think would've made more sense is Khepri, Scarab god of creation, protection, rebirth and sunrise.

1920px-Khepri.svg.png

Egyptian scarabs are thought to be related to Khepri, being an amulet associated with protection and regeneration, so it would make sense why a scarab themed hero would be affiliated with the scarab god.
Khepri's design is something I think would really mesh well with the weirdness inherent to the Moon Knight franchise, because he's a dude who has a beetle in place of a head. That design would fit right in with birdskull Khonshu.
His domain has some interesting parallels and contrasts with Khonshu's:
Where Khonshu in Marvel is vengeance against the wicked, Khepri could be the protection of the innocent (which could also fit well with the Scarlet Scarab's origins as a protector of Egypt against colonial forces).
Khepri as the rising sun could be a fitting counterpart to Khonshu as the moon travelling the night sky.
Plus, if they had Khepri I think MK's resurrection would make a bit more sense. The way they revived I feel like more powerful and influential gods like Osiris and Horus should have been able to work some stuff to revive their avatars in the same way. Marc and Steven gaining a favor from Khepri, the god of rebirth, could've fit really well into this storyline to explain their resurrection.

I think the only major demerit of Khepri would be that they might not want Layla to essentially be a servant to a man (a male god, but still) so they went with a goddess for that reason.

Last edited:
The approach and style they took for this show didn't work for me at all.

The only things I kind of liked were some of Oscar Isaac's performance and the way they executed some of the DID and trauma elements.

They leaned way too hard on the Egyptian mythology aspects, which have never really been a major part of the character.

His identity and activity as Moon Knight were not well established. Making Moon Knight nigh-invulnerable with a magic suit also took away a lot of the tension.

Mister Knight was nothing more than a lame gimmick.

No MCU show or product has disappointed me more than this. Eternals was not something I had high expectations for. Inhumans didn't disappoint me as much as this.

Throwing in all the Egyptian deities and avatars was something to wait for in later stories or seasons.

Layla suddenly becoming a superhero herself was forced and made no sense.

Relegating a major part of Marc Spector's story to a post-credit gag. Lame.

Hated this show. I never really want to see this version of Moon Knight onscreen again. I'm ticked off.

The only things I kind of liked were some of Oscar Isaac's performance and the way they executed some of the DID and trauma elements.

They leaned way too hard on the Egyptian mythology aspects, which have never really been a major part of the character.

His identity and activity as Moon Knight were not well established. Making Moon Knight nigh-invulnerable with a magic suit also took away a lot of the tension.

No MCU show or product has disappointed me more than this. Eternals was not something I had high expectations for. Inhumans didn't disappoint me as much as this.

Throwing in all the Egyptian deities and avatars was something to wait for in later stories or seasons.

Hated this show. I never really want to see this version of Moon Knight onscreen again. I'm ticked off.
I share these feelings.

Odd reading the reactions here but can't please everyone.

By far my favorite Disney Plus show. With a decent margin. Incredibly psyched for s2. Couldn't be more pleased here really

I mean I didn't hate the show, just indifferent to it, but damn Vile you outlined all my problems with it LOL.

I agree.

I’m fine if he doesn’t. The interconnectedness of everything is starting to feel like more of a burden and forced. If there’s a natural crossover, sure, but I don’t need team-ups.

It's why I like Loki a lot. I loved how they showed the connections to the MCU without forcing it with Mobius showing basically clips of the rest of the MCU through End Game to Loki in the TVA. I thought that was a clever way of doing that without forcing it.

Also, I liked this show. There's not a single MCU Disney+ show that I hate, although I like some more than others. I think this has to do with me not knowing anything about the comics coming in (I usually do a quick google search of the characters once I see them for the first time, without knowing the stories). I feel like this way, I don't feel like any of these comic characters have been ruined. I don't have any preconceived notions coming in due to that, which makes me enjoy the MCU a lot more than most of you guys here. Now, it's not perfect and as I have stated before my main issue with the MCU is too many characters with the same powerset as the original without any difference like adding a weapon to go along with their powers or a distinguishing physical feature (such as Bucky with his bionic arm).

My only thoughts about the season finale:

It ended pretty much how I thought it would
Layla > Gal's WW
I can't wait for someone to re-edit the Ammit/Khonshu Kaiju fight with Power Rangers music.

Someone explain the asylum stuff to me like I'm a five year old.

Ouch
this and the finale for F&WS were equally bad. Even Hawkeye had a better finale.
The cheap effects, the rushed story, no setup for other projects (besides a possible return, since Konshu ain’t gone)
Very dissapointed with it.
Though episode 5 was a masterpiece and I like the overall series.

“Are you an Egyptian superhero?!”

I agree with everything you mentioned in addition to them reducing Harrow in the final episode to your stereotypical MCU villain instead of following through with his complicated relationship with Ammit which I would have preferred if he honestly lost his faith after he finds out she doesn’t really give a crap about the balance.

Also, I thought Jack was locked in a sarcophagus in the underworld? They made it such a big deal for Marc to release Steven and for them to escape through Osiris door together, but Jack somehow found his own way out?

Finally, why was Harrow in a mental institution after everything he just did? And why is it the exact same one in Marc’s head? Are we to believe Marc was at one point institutionalized at the very same hospital and used that visual to mimic what he saw in the underworld? If so, why kill an innocent hospital staff member to kill Harrow?

At this point, Marvel needs to reassess the 6 episode limit for their shows. This should have been 8 episodes or a Disney+ movie.

Loki > WandaVision > Falcon and the Winter Soldier > What If > Moon Knight > Hawkeye

I'll have more thoughts on the show as a whole later, but I loved the finale. Easily second best finale to only Loki. The CGI kaiju fight was inevitable when you have these massive gods in play, but they wisely relegated it largely to the background.

Isaac and Hawke never slipped in their performances, as expected, but I was really thrilled to see May Calamaway get material to shine on the same level as them. Perfect surprise hero debut for her and terrific acting in the possession scene. 'Best MCU Love Interest' isn't exactly a tough fight, but she's absolutely up there with Peggy and MJ. Can't wait to see what she does next.

Over all this episode and the series really needed to be longer to properly flesh out the story it was trying to tell. Marvel HAS to cut the 6-hr mandate, it's kneecapping these shows. But nonetheless, this is at the very least tied with Loki for Best D+ Show in my book. Could be Number One, but need more time to think on it.

At this point, Marvel needs to reassess the 6 episode limit for their shows. This should have been 8 episodes or a Disney+ movie.
Two more episodes for this would have been fine. I also think it depends on the show. Six episodes worked for Falcon and the Winter Soldier but Loki and Moon Knight probably could have used 8 each.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"