Moon Knight Season 1, Episode 5: "Asylum" (SPOILERS)

I think this one might have been my favorite in the show as yet. Hard hitting on both the "psychodrama" angle *and* the "legit mystic weirdness" angle. My only complaint is that it feels like there's not really enough time left to finish up everything, *if* they intend to finish all the plot threads. I am kind of hoping it ends with a "Moon Knight will return in season 2".

. . .also, I found it kind of bemusing when Marc kept suggesting "We could just kill her and steal the boat". Because even if Tawaret was the weakest most puny goddess ever with only the power of an ordinary hippopotamus, that would still be enough to kind of laugh off Marc's efforts at deicide. *ahem*

Definitely share the sentiment that it really feels like we've just seen the beginning of Moon Knight and this pretty much needs more content such as a next season going forward.

If we do I think it'd be nice to introduce Frenchie Duchamp and have Crawley become more involved with MK.

It seems clear that Layla is intended as the MCU's version of Marlene in a similar way to how Michelle Jones is clearly the MCU's Mary-Jane Watson.
However, she seems like there could be a possibility of her possibly being combined with other characters and I wonder if there's any chance of her ever getting powered up.
In the comics Marlene's father Peter Alrune meets the same fate as Layla's father meets in this show. However, Layla's father is Abdallah El-Faouly and he is known for wearing a notable red scarf (which I think may have a scarab design on it? It was pretty dark so I couldn't clearly tell). In the comics there is an Egyptian character Abdul Faoul who uses the power of a ruby scarab to become the Scarlet Scarab and tried to liberate Egypt from British rule during WWII. Abdallah El-Faouly also seems like a version of this character which also notably wears red garb around his neck. Faoul also had a son, Mehemet Faoul, who became the next Scarlet Scarab.
Then there's also the character of Leila O'Toole, an archaeologist and Egyptologist who is also a mutant called Plasma who can absorb cosmic radiation to shoot plasma blasts. She also became involved with the Cult of Khonshu which might be similar to Khonshu wanting her as Marc's replacement in earlier episodes.
I wonder if Layla could ever take on more elements of either Mehemet Faoul or Leila O'Toole.

When it comes to villains:

This episode definitely left the door open for Bushman in a future Moon Knight project, who apparently is not just a partner but actually his former Commanding Officer.

With the early death of Randall (or RoRo) it seems unlikely we'll get Shadowknight who is accurate to the comics. However, I could see them maybe leaving the option open of going a different route. They could maybe have the spirit of Randall be brought back as an avatar or agent by someone like Seth or Nepthys (gods of death and mourning) as a more literal shadow, if one of those gods or their followers ever become an enemy.

There doesn't seem much room for Ernst/Yitz Perlman to play a role in MK's childhood.

Marvel Studios better not have Gorr murder her. We need more friendly hippopotamus death goddesses.
Yeah I'd love more of her. Gorr can take Osiris and some of his mates. They're pretty boring.

After meeting his mom, I can see why. :o

Teenage Mark is one of the worst, "young" versions of an actor I can remember seeing. Looked nothing like him. :funny:
It was frustrating when Mr. Robot had the perfect young Rami... then they had to recast twice due to kids growing up.

this couldn’t have been any better.
This is so perfect. Even the effects looked better in this episode

Marvel Studios better not have Gorr murder her. We need more friendly hippopotamus death goddesses.
Who would murder a friendly hippo goddess? Surely even Gorr isn’t that evil. If that happens I will hold it personally against Bale. :yay:

More of this please and less of whatever the hell the last 3 episodes were. I really liked this episode, and I agree with the general sentiment that it's probably the best of the bunch (even if the bar isn't exactly high).

I love love love using death as a way to do a weird trippy exploration of memories and accepting things in life. Bly Manor did it the best, but this might be one of my favorite uses of it as well due to the multiple personalities aspect. I wish we didn't have to go back to the boring action crap. I would watch several episodes doing this kind of thing, and would've liked them to delve into the third personality using this. I'm assuming they're saving that for a season 2, given that this is the most it's felt like actual television.

In regards to the overall show, I love the show so far. In episode 3, the trial was pretty dumb and needed rewritten. Just made the Egyptian gods look super dumb that they instantly believed the sketchy guy. But there was a lot I loved in episode 4. Episode 4 I would agree was the weakest of the series so far, until they got to the Asylum at the end. So where the show was maybe beginning to go off track a bit, it got back on really quickly. So as a whole, I love the series so far. This episode was the best of the show so far. Cannot wait for the finale!

I would agree though that largely the action is too sparse and when we get it underwhelming. Not many true challengers for Moon Knight.

Yep, much better episode. It was nice to finally see Marc (and Steven's) origin. I was way out on this show after the last few episodes, but this one really delivered. Six episodes doesn't feel like enough now that they essentially wasted three or four of the episodes. I don't need a season two, but I'm more interested to see how and where Marc appears next.

Gorr when he finds out he can't kill Taweret:

tumblr_mf3p26vPlM1ry1365o1_500.gif

loving this series more and more each episode. Shame its going to be so short, as most are it seems. If this was a proper length it would be getting to Daredevil/Punisher levels of great comic tv series. Just hope the final episode and conclude things without feeling too rushed. Been a great ride so far though, just a shame we dont get more "Moon Knight" himself, only feels like we have scratched the surface with him, but Oscar Isaac knocked it out the park this episode especially.

This episode was AMAZING. Hand Mr. Isaac his Emmy now!

I've seen other people calling the episode boring online, and I swear I'm about to lose my mind. They did this to Loki, too. Anytime we get any meaningful, artful character-based story-telling we have these internet goldfish popping up to make the rest of us look bad because they can't handle going 30 seconds without someone putting on a cape to punch someone else. This is why we can't have nice things :wall:

Also unless I missed something earlier in the season, I believe Taweret's mention of the Ancestral Plane was the first reference to the greater MCU in the show. I'm impressed the writers were able to restrain themselves for that long and even then a brief mention of the Ancestral Plane is nowhere near as obvious as making the easy callbacks to Thanos, the Blip, Tony Stark, etc. We'll see what happens in the finale but not being so tied in to what's come before is refreshing for this show, and I say that as someone who was disappointed that the Netflix shows only referred to Hulk and Cap as "the big green guy" and "the flag waver".

Madripoor was mentioned in an earlier episode.

Madripoor was mentioned in an earlier episode.
Ah yes. Still, another subtle reference all things considered. They've really shown restraint for a brand new hero with no real connections to any of the prior films or series.

I can see Harrow becoming Shadow Knight in the finale.
There will be a fight and Moon Knight is quiet overpowered. The MCU often gave the villain similar powers in the final showdown

Just realized that if we ever get Midnight Sons
(spoiler for Multiverse of Madness)
Marc Spector and Stephen Strange have both experienced their sibling drowning as a child and blamed themselves for it. Might be an interesting angle to have the characters bond over this?

Last edited:
Good episode in that it let Oscar Isaac act, and not depend too much on CGI spectacle. Really needed more of this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"