Moon Knight Season 1, Episode 1: "The Goldfish Problem" (SPOILERS)

flickchick85

Admin of Might
Staff member
Reaction score
94d3540e7027645281a7831694bccaae1b8aa052.gifv

Episode Synopsis:
Steven Grant learns that he may be a superhero, but may also share a body with a ruthless mercenary.
Discuss the first episode of Moon Knight here.

Of course it ends right when it gets to the good stuff! :argh:

I do like the narrative choice of starting with Steven Grant (but making him a..."gift shop-er"????). I wouldn't have done it that way, but it made for a rather intriguing and wild introduction to the character with Steven being all meek and clueless. Just with the little glimpses we've gotten of Marc so far, I can tell Oscar's gonna kill it in this role.

Enjoying Ethan Hawke's character (and his hair!) already.

These MCU shows need to give up on car chases though, because they all choose to CGI their environments at some point during the chase and the composite just looks like ass.

I wonder how this show will connect to the rest of the MCU, and the multiverse

I didn't really know what to expect since I'm not all that familiar with Moon Knight, but I thought it was a solid premiere pretty much entirely thanks to Oscar Isaac but I'll give a little credit to Ethan Hawke too. I wasn't even expecting to see the suit in the first episode so I was happy with the tease at the end.

Some shoddy CGI (these logs looked rough as hell) but overall solid episode. I didn't find it all that confusing like many people are complaining.

I just watched it, still digesting it, but it was okay.

I'm praying that it won't be a chore to get through like Loki was to me, but Oscar Isaac works his magic and he's carrying this well. But to me, it honestly felt like a Disney-infused episode of Legion. But I'm willing to keep going on the ride.

That scene where he put his jaw back in place made me go...
giphy.gif

Some shoddy CGI (these logs looked rough as hell) but overall solid episode. I didn't find it all that confusing like many people are complaining.
I do think the CGI is pretty bad, especially with some of the clips they released, but if the storytelling is good, I don't mind. FX's Legion had pretty cheap CGI, but is still among the best and most interesting Marvel live-action properties IMO. This does look like it's on the cheaper side of the Marvel Disney+ shows though.

I thought this was a pretty damn good start and I was intrigued from beginning to end. This show is pretty hardcore for a MCU show and I love it. Oscar Isaac killed as Steven were I felt sorry for him and the weird stuff that was happening. I can’t wait to get a full introduction to Marc. Ethan was ok for what we got of him. Also that ending like flickchick85 said of course they end it right there. Moony you looking good boy.

Well, I'm officially on board for this, but I can probably see why it won't be for everyone. I thought this was a pretty great introduction for the character though, especially the reveal at the very end which I honestly wasn't expecting in the first episode but I'm glad we got at least a tease of what's to come.

I am also really enjoying Oscar Isaac's performance so far between his amusing English accent, the perfect balance of humor and his reactions to the trippy, creepy stuff going on.

Ethan Hawke's character is pretty intriguing so far as well and man do, I already love the music in this show which reminds me so much of why I enjoy those first two Mummy movies.

Sold. Now waiting for RMB's reaction...
John Campea loved episode 1.

John has said that WandaVision is his favorite MCU Disney+ show, so we'll see if Moon Knight surpasses that for him.

Yea I dug the first episode a lot as well. I liked we're just jumping right into things and not dragging things out. From Stephen's POV this is all new but really they have been Moon Knight for some time now. I've been reading Moon Knight comics since I was a kid so I understand some may not like the deviations so far but honestly I don't really mind it. Can't wait for next week.

Also I hope we see Khonshu in his white suit at some point :hyper:

Of course it ends right when it gets to the good stuff! :argh:

I do like the narrative choice of starting with Steven Grant (but making him a..."gift shop-er"????). I wouldn't have done it that way, but it made for a rather intriguing and wild introduction to the character with Steven being all meek and clueless. Just with the little glimpses we've gotten of Marc so far, I can tell Oscar's gonna kill it in this role.

Enjoying Ethan Hawke's character (and his hair!) already.

These MCU shows need to give up on car chases though, because they all choose to CGI their environments at some point during the chase and the composite just looks like ass.

While I do notice at times CGI not being all that great, it doesn't distract me from the show as long as the story and character development are good.

I wish this was a movie. It feels different from previous mcu offerings and I wish it was a 2 hour thing than being spread out to 6 weeks / 240 minutes.

I'm intrigued because its the first MCU show featuring a lead we haven't seen in a previous mcu fliX, but I hope the neXt few episodes wouldn't be a slow lead up to the finale. They really saved that Moon Knight look at the final minute. So i wonder whats the neXt 2 to 3episodes are going to be like.

Production wise,it looks passable as a mid budgeted film. Its up there with TWAFS as looking like a movie rather than the standard streaming series.

Robert Meyer Burnett just had a review of the first episode: it wasn't like any Moon Knight comics he was familiar with and said it was a mix of the later comics of Moon Knight but he absolutely loved the first episode.

So far, I like it, but its definitely weird. Comments as things stand in this episode:

-There is no part of Arthur Harrow that isn't creepy, though I wonder where he will land on the "Zealous Cult Leader" spectrum vis a vis "corrupt and exploitative vs sincere fanatic". I mean, he's obviously magic, but just because he's magic doesn't mean he's 100% honest either.

-Oscar Isaac clearly puts his full effort toward making the Steven Knight persona come off as. . . basically, uncomfortable to be around, but not due to any fault of his own so you feel bad. Hopefully the poor guy can get some better treatment eventually from his other identities and Khonshu.

I think for a first episode of an unknown character, this was a really good and promising opening. The previous Disney+ shows gave us the hero in costume only in the last episode (Wanda, Sam, Hawkeye). Im pleased that we see Moonknight already in the first one already.

I think Ethan Hawkes character would have been a fan of Hydras Project Inside huh? :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"