Season 1 / Episode 4: What If... Doctor Strange Lost His Heart Instead of His Hands?

What a fantastic episode this was, although it got very dark and depressing!

My only question is, I saw Leslie Bibb in the credits for this one as Christine Everhart. I wasn't fully awake when I watched it but I don't remember seeing her pop up at all. Where was she?

She was on the TV reporting Christine's death at one point where Stephen didn't show up to pick her up.

I wonder what episode will Uatu finally decide to interfere. We see him talking with Strange here, so maybe it's close?
Yeh i think it's close. Maybe in another episode where something bigger is at stake, the fate of the multiverse perhaps... I guess he could eventually interfere by drafting the previously introduced characters from those different timelines in order to accomplish a goal.

DS for example seemed like he was stuck in some pocket reality somewhere at the end.

Something else I realized...in this timeline where Christine dies, Strange still goes on to defeat Dormammu and basically the same outcome from the film happens until he plays around with the time stone. What I want to know is, did Strange still get stabbed during the fight in the Sanctum in this timeline, and if he did, who saved him since Christine wouldn't have been around to operate?

She was on the TV reporting Christine's death at one point where Stephen didn't show up to pick her up.
Thanks. I figured it was something like that but it went over my head because I skipped the opening credits.

EDIT: I just rewatched it. It really was blink-and-you-miss-it. She must have a role in another episode otherwise why bring her back for a three second cameo?

Last edited:
Looks like next week's episode will be the one featuring Party Thor and from what we can gather regarding the character ,it's probably going to be a more lighthearted and fun episode. At this point and after the last 2 episodes, we kind of need a bit of levity to balance things out.

Last edited:
f07d489997ce0e06620ea79e301bd76309fbac59.gifv
ce93145ec466fecfd2e52eee232c5db49970f1d3.gifv

109116f020e8ac30fc79d169b625acdaede3e7c1.gifv

I wonder what episode will Uatu finally decide to interfere. We see him talking with Strange here, so maybe it's close?

Based on that Hyundai commercial, I'm assuming it's
Ultron. In the poster art, we see what looks like the Infinity Stones embedded in his chest. So maybe he becomes so powerful, his existence threatens not just his own universe but the Multiverse as well.

I loved their interaction. So at some point I guess he will interfere and while it might work for the best it could then have major implications for the Watcher himself…

Based on that Hyundai commercial, I'm assuming it's
Ultron. In the poster art, we see what looks like the Infinity Stones embedded in his chest. So maybe he becomes so powerful, his existence threatens not just his own universe but the Multiverse as well.
Yep all of it seems to lead to this and it looks like episode 5 is the very start of that final storyline.

Man, this is probably my favourite episode of the series with the writing, the voice work of Cumberbatch, Wong, McAdams, Swinton, Wright, and Ike Armadi. Also, the animation was truly stunning with every shot beautiful to look at, especially when he went to the dark side and absorbed more power. It’s going to be difficult to top this episode in terms of visuals.

I wasn’t expecting The Ancient One to split Strange, creating two timelines, I thought he was just going to travel to another universe and battle that world’s counterpart. The interaction and the fight between them was awesome and heartbreaking, especially that last scene with Watcher finally interacting with Strange.

This really is be careful what you wish for!

9/10

Ya know, I think I just only care about Doctor Strange when he's with other characters. That being said, watching him become a villain was pretty engaging. But switching back to a normal Doctor Strange, I think is lame. The conflict between the 2 Stranges I didn't find to be as intense or anger venting with the characters, as I'd prefer. It wasn't as cathartic as I want.

As great as last weeks episode was I definitely think this one was one was on a whole other level as far as quality goes, but I do agree that the third episode was more enjoyable overall.

This was just dark and depressing asf, but I did love how tragic it ended up being for Strange and the inevitable, devestating consequences the misguided version of himself had to face in the end due to his actions in trying to save Christine which I believe we all knew wasn't going to end well.

I'm just a little surprised that they actually let it end on such a bleak note, but honestly seeing all the cosmic horror influence in this episode made me even more hyped for Multiverse of Madness.

That's the kind of stuff I want to see represented in live action in these movies and I hope Raimi does it justice because it would be a huge missed oppurtunity if it wasn't.

I'm just a little surprised that they actually let it end on such a bleak note, but honestly seeing all the cosmic horror influence in this episode made me even more hyped for Multiverse of Madness.

That's the kind of stuff I want to see represented in live action in these movies and I hope Raimi does it justice because it would be a huge missed oppurtunity if it wasn't.
I'd actually love it and wouldn't really be surprised if some of those monsters we saw Strange summon in the episode turn up in Multiverse of Madness.

So how are the bets the watcher will interfere in the season finale and collect those?

Trailers showed already that this Strange will meet Captain Carter

Wow guys, just wow.
mind-blown-explosion.gif

I may be something controversial , but I actually enjoyed this and liked this alot more than the Doctor Strange film .

I know you couldn't have had this without the first film, but I can't deny that I'm left really blown away by it in a way that I wasn't with the original film. The "villain " was more compelling imo.

I'm glad they didn't cop out with the ending and truly took it to its logical conclusion.

Other producers and writers would be tempted to end it on a smile , but I'm glad they didn't.

They needed to show the consequences of his actions , as harsh, and as brutal as they could be.

No, it's not the typical Disney/ Marvel ending, but they have to show that once and awhile as with Infinity War, people can lose ,and that life isn't always fair. It gives the MCU weight imo.

I think this is one of the best What IF's so far. It's certainly not forgettable.

If this is where the Multiverse Of Madness goes in terms of darkness and emotions, then I'll be the first in line.

From a quality standpoint this episode was really well done and I liked the premise, especially everything dealing with fate and all that. I just couldn't get invested though. Might be one I'll have to watch again soon but otherwise probably my least favorite just based on personal enjoyment.

Wow.

When Uatu calls your white privilege having ass out for the reckless, cataclysmic, universe destroying decisions you made, you know you really f***ed up.

If they let Raimi really cut loose in Multiverse of Madness and have him showing demons and let him do his horror thing, I’ll be really impressed.

Very pleasantly surprised by this dark, creepy and engaging episode.

Someone who made this has definitely watched/played/read Steins;Gate before lol.

I'm a bit confused about the fixed points in time here though. How can Christine's death be fixed/unchangeable for this universe given what we've seen of how the multiverse works and the fact we know she didn't have to die at that time in what was the 'sacred' timeline?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
japanorsomewher
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"