Several Hollywood Friends Back Mel Gibson!

MOIDANGEREUX

Civilian
Reaction score
Several Hollywood Friends Back Mel Gibson!

http://movies.yahoo.com/mv/news/ap/20060804/115471662000.html

Several of Mel Gibson's friends say he's a "different person" when he's drinking, but they do not believe he's anti-Semitic.

Movie producer Dean Devlin said he and his wife are Jewish, and he considers Gibson who unleashed an anti-Jewish tirade when arrested for drunken driving July 28 one of his best friends in Hollywood.

"If Mel is an anti-Semite, then he spends a lot of time with us, which makes no sense," Devlin told the Los Angeles Times. He met Gibson while co-producing "The Patriot" in which Gibson starred. "But he is an alcoholic, and while that makes no excuse for what he said, because there is no excuse, I believe it was the disease speaking, not the man.

Jodie Foster said she does not believe that drunkenness excuses hurtful remarks, but doubts claims that Gibson is prejudiced against Jews.

"Is he an anti-Semite? Absolutely not," Foster told the newspaper for a story in Friday's editions. "But it's no secret that he has always fought a terrible battle with alcoholism."

Though it was widely believed that Gibson has been sober since the early '90s, some people close to him say he has been on and off the wagon for years.

"I have been with Mel when he has fallen off, and he becomes a completely different person," Devlin said. "It is pretty horrifying."

Gibson was charged this week with two misdemeanor counts of driving under the influence of alcohol.

Foster, who co-starred with Gibson in "Maverick," said she believed he will recover from his latest fall.

Gibson "was a shining example of how low you can go when you are young and still pull yourself up," she said. "He took his recovery very seriously, which is why I know he is strong enough to get through this now."

Friday August 4 11:37 AM ET

Wow. They certainly go to great lengths to paint anti-semitism as a much more horrible thing than debilitating alcoholism, don't they? Neither are admirable, but the level of PC our country has reached is ridiculous.

jag

I dunno... people say things they don't mean when they're blind drunk.

I heard that rob schneider released a press statement saying he would never be in a movie with mel gibson because of what he did. I ask you, was that ever really a possibility?

The Road to Golgotha, Ext

Jesus, horribly beaten and bloody, staggers under the weight of the cross as crowds jeer and throw things at him. He stumbles and falls to one knee. A lone figure steps from the crowd, kneels beside him and speaks.

Rob Schneider:
You kin doooooo eet!

jaguarr said:
the level of PC our country has reached is ridiculous.

jag

Are you the new Bill Maher of the Hype?

I actually agree with you btw.

I believe it was the disease speaking, not the man.

Personally, I drink a lot (though I'm never pissed drunk), and I've never had any rascist thoughts pop up in my mind. Usually, alcohol just makes it a little easier to say what you're already thinking (sometimes these are things that you may not say openly or utter period).

I kind of think this should've been in the other thread though.

Dew k. Mosi said:
Rob Schneider:
You kin doooooo eet!

The only opportunities left in his fleeting career are cameos in Sandler flicks.

Alpha and Omega said:
The only opportunities left in his fleeting career are cameos in Sandler flicks.

That and "Deuce Bigalo Hizbollah Gigalo" :(

Dew k. Mosi said:
I heard that rob schneider released a press statement saying he would never be in a movie with mel gibson because of what he did.
Hahaha, hilarious.
Well you know what? I'm with him.:cmad:
I'm afraid I will not be appearing in any movies with Mel Gibson either.:up:

Wilhelm-Scream said:

You're lying. If he had his people call your people and ask you to star in a Mad Max remake as his son, you'd do it. :o

Wilhelm-Scream said:
Hahaha, hilarious.
Well you know what? I'm with him.:cmad:
LOL!

I'll be in his jew hating movies. What can I say. I'm a ****e.

Mel, call me.

Alpha and Omega said:
You're lying. If he had his people call your people and ask you to star in a Mad Max remake as his son, you'd do it. :o
The Hype is in severe need an emotacon of a smiley face with a hand buzzing over it's head.

kainedamo said:
I dunno... people say things they don't mean when they're blind drunk.

That is the most false statement I've ever seen on the Hype.

Someone drunk is just a louder more outspoken version of thier sober selves. If Mel said that stuff drunk it's how he feels all the time, he's just more likely to say it when he's drunk.

Like me...I like Girls, but I'm more likely to talk to one when I am drunk.

Ergo Gibson is an Anti Semite.

Roughneck said:

Someone drunk is just a louder more outspoken version of thier sober selves. If Mel said that stuff drunk it's how he feels all the time, he's just more likely to say it when he's drunk.

Like me...I like Girls, but I'm more likely to talk to one when I am drunk.

Ergo Gibson is an Anti Semite.

Even if he was, that's not the worst sin in the world.

Dew k. Mosi said:
I heard that rob schneider released a press statement saying he would never be in a movie with mel gibson because of what he did. I ask you, was that ever really a possibility?

The Road to Golgotha, Ext

Jesus, horribly beaten and bloody, staggers under the weight of the cross as crowds jeer and throw things at him. He stumbles and falls to one knee. A lone figure steps from the crowd, kneels beside him and speaks.

Rob Schneider:
You kin doooooo eet!

LMAO...:D :up:

Here's the story about Rob Schneider.

http://www.hollywood.com/news/detail/id/3539620

HOLLYWOOD - Deuce Bigalow: Male Gigolo star Rob Schneider is the first actor to publicly announce he will never work with Mel Gibson due to the anti-Semitic remarks he made when he was arrested last Friday.
Schneider took out an ad in Hollywood trade paper Variety slamming the star for his behavior in "An Open Letter to the Hollywood Community."

The ad appeared today and said, "I, Rob Schneider, a 1/2 Jew, pledge from this day forth to never work with Mel Gibson, actor-director-producer and anti-Semite."

Schneider then went on to say even if he were offered the lead role in Passion of the Christ 2 or a "juicy voice-over role in his new flick Apocalypto and spoke ancient Mayan" he would still turn them down.

He also repeatedly praised Hollywood talent manager Bernie Brillstein for publicly saying he would refuse to work with Gibson because "I just don't like bigots."

The actor continued by saying he had recently directed a film called Big Stan in which there was a part for a Nazi gangleader "which apparently Mel would be perfect for."

Schneider said he would still not cast Gibson in that role and ended the letter by saying, "Of course that would only be after I talked with my financial backers. Some of whom share Mr. Gibson's hankering for a good bottle of tequila. Because, after all...I don't get to call all the shots."

Article Copyright Entertainment News Network All Rights Reserved.

A Passion of the Christ 2?

Roughneck said:
Then you have no flipping clue as to what you're talking about.
People that think th^t are so embarrassing, frustrating and infuriating.

Speaking as a hardcore, black-out alcoholic...with several friends who are similarly afflicted you. are. just. plain. wrong.

People have a few pitchers and some shots, remember the evening, feel slightly embarrassed at their behavior the night before and think they're suddenly an authority on how alcohol, regardless of ammount or the time span during which it was ingested, effects every single person on Earth.:o

Booze is not "Truth Serum". It can be, but it is not always. Sometimes if you have a lot in a short period of time it can completely knock out whole portions of your brain, leaving others clean for some time.

It's like, if you get freaking blitzed out of your ever-lovin' mind,... just swig a half a gallon of B+B, and then you go out, and you wake up with this hideous 50 year old skank whose guts you hate,....sorry, that doesn't mean that you've always secretly wanted to f*** her.:rolleyes:

It can make you a more "base" version of yourself, like a lizard-brain/caveman version of yourself, that is not representative of your true desires and opinions as a person.

That's WHY you're called "impaired".
I've told the story before, of the night I tried to save my best friend in the world from some homeyG gangstas he was mouthing off to, and he ended up repaying me by beating the s*** out of me and trashing our house when we got home.
That is not what the "REAL" him honestly wanted to do. He was gone.

:o:rolleyes:

War Lord said:
A Passion of the Christ 2?

You beat me to it. I had just read a little snippet of that article and I stopped when I read that. It made no sense and from that point on, I likened Schneider's real life intelligence to that of his movie characters.

Rob is obviously joking. sheesh. He is well aware of his standing in Hollywood, and knows hs could never get within ten states of a Mel Gibson movie.

Jokes are always funnier when you have to explain them...

Alpha and Omega said:
Are you the new Bill Maher of the Hype?

I actually agree with you btw.

Personally, I drink a lot (though I'm never pissed drunk), and I've never had any rascist thoughts pop up in my mind. Usually, alcohol just makes it a little easier to say what you're already thinking (sometimes these are things that you may not say openly or utter period).

I kind of think this should've been in the other thread though.

I don't know. It just seems like publically announcing your support for the Jews is the new black both in Hollywood and in the rest of our country. To the point that many other things get downplayed in comparison. And anyone who says anything bad about them at all gets villified out of existence. I have absolutely nothing against Jews and think they have as much right to a peaceful existence as anyone else, but come on...

jag

Killgore said:
Rob is obviously joking. sheesh. He is well aware of his standing in Hollywood, and knows hs could never get within ten states of a Mel Gibson movie.

Jokes are always funnier when you have to explain them...

He might be joking, but that's an awfully expensive joke and Rob Schneider isn't the most flush in Hollywood.

jaguarr said:
I don't know. It just seems like publically announcing your support for the Jews is the new black both in Hollywood and in the rest of our country. To the point that many other things get downplayed in comparison. And anyone who says anything bad about them at all gets villified out of existence. I have absolutely nothing against Jews and think they have as much right to a peaceful existence as anyone else, but come on...

jag

I don't think he should suffer any type of severe backlash; maybe he'll just learn to keep his comments in his house. It's really the only safe place for someone of his stature.

Honestly, his privacy was violated and nobody really points that out, but we all know this is purely done to sell newspapers.

Slow newsweek? Grill a celeb for

*gasp* being human and making a mistake.

That always happens. I'm just saying that w/ over 20 years in the business, he should expect things like this to happen, if the public or media stumble upon any 'juicy' info.

Rob Schneider IS very flush. In fact, he is the most flush. Hot Chick performed quite well in Bangledesh.

Actually he's an attention ****e.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohkeelay
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"