Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings General Discussion and Speculation thread

I had no idea this was dropping, I'm ready.

I am mixed on the trailer. The characters and plot beats are mostly still opaque, beyond the stuff that's obvious from the premise. OTOH, the kung fu fighting definitely looks good. I kind of suspect they are stealing elements from Iron Fist that aren't going to be used by him anytime soon.

Oh hell yes to this. Crouching Tiger Hidden Marvel, this is right up my alley.

PS: the closest I will ever get to Jade Empire movie as well.

Michelle Yeoh or Fala Chen, probably.
I guess so. I wonder who the character is. Given the apparent wind powers and the fact that she seems to be fighting the Mandarin it might be someone who has the Spectral Ring.

I am mixed on the trailer. The characters and plot beats are mostly still opaque, beyond the stuff that's obvious from the premise. OTOH, the kung fu fighting definitely looks good. I kind of suspect they are stealing elements from Iron Fist that aren't going to be used by him anytime soon.

They are definitely stealing from Iron Fist who is heavily reliant on Chinese Lore.Not sure how I feel about thatt though

I am all f***ing in on this. This looks like a full on kung fu film, which is what I wanted.

I don’t know anything about this character but this looks cool as hell. The fight scenes look like big budget wuxia stuff and Simu Liu looks great in the role :atp:. Went from indifferent to hyped real quick :up:.

Looks a little generic Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon-ish.
They’re definitely being influenced by a lot of martial arts movies. Shang-Chi grabbing the woman from falling out of the bus felt very Jackie Chan.

This is not a bad thing. I’m sure there are a lot of modern audiences who have never seen Crouching Tiger so hopefully this will encourage them to watch it as well.

Also love the design and outfit of the bad guy in this, looks rad and a fun ride.

I hope this doesnt devolve into to generic big cgi 3rd act though. There were a couple if clips kn the trailer that hinted at that. This should be a raw, visceral martial arts film where special effects are kept at a minimum.

The cinematography looks insane damn. Who's Shooting this??

EDIT: It's Bill Pope.:wow:

I had no idea what was going on in that trailer. Gonna have to read up.

Trailer looks awesome.

Anyone getting Black Panther vibes? I wouldn't be surprised if the plot is essentially a reworked Black Panther plot with the outcast Killmonger character (In this case Shangchi) as the Hero and the Rightful king character Tchalla (In this case Mandarin) as the Villain.All dressed in an Asian Makeover.

I am very curious about the Red robed warriors and Mythical Lions.Look awesome.

It seems Mandarin has the Rings from the beginning. So they are not a prize for a Tournament as was rumored. Also they clearly hav

In fact I don't really see a Tournament in this thing, I just saw a couple of Fight club scenes.

Im still not sold on Simu liu as Mandarin but I can deal with it.

Movie look awesome.

This looks like Netflix's Daredevil in China, not only in terms of fights, but also of the main character and that he is trained by a strict master who has chosen his destiny for him.

Why do people act like it is something so new and fresh?

Trailer looks awesome.

Anyone getting Black Panther vibes? I wouldn't be surprised if the plot is essentially a reworked Black Panther plot with the outcast Killmonger character (In this case Shangchi) as the Hero and the Rightful king character Tchalla (In this case Mandarin) as the Villain.All dressed in an Asian Makeover.

I am very curious about the Red robed warriors and Mythical Lions.Look awesome.

It seems Mandarin has the Rings from the beginning. So they are not a prize for a Tournament as was rumored. Also they clearly hav

In fact I don't really see a Tournament in this thing, I just saw a couple of Fight club scenes.

Im still not sold on Simu liu as Mandarin but I can deal with it.

Movie look awesome.

Simu Liu is Shang-Chi. Tony Leung is The Mandarin.

They are definitely stealing from Iron Fist who is heavily reliant on Chinese Lore.Not sure how I feel about thatt though

What are they "stealing" in your opinion? Iron Fist doesn't have exclusive rights to chinese lore lol.

Unrelated note: live action Razorfist. Cool.

I hope this doesnt devolve into to generic big cgi 3rd act though. There were a couple if clips kn the trailer that hinted at that. This should be a raw, visceral martial arts film where special effects are kept at a minimum.
Unfortunately I’ve read some spoilers and seen some Lego sets (admittedly not always reliable) that indicate a CGI heavy third act.

Wouldn't be a comic book movie- especially an origin story- if it didn't have that.

This looks like Netflix's Daredevil in China, not only in terms of fights, but also of the main character and that he is trained by a strict master who has chosen his destiny for him.

Why do people act like it is something so new and fresh?
It doesn’t give me Netflix Daredevil vibes at all, lol. As for the bolded part of your post.... that’s literally a often-used trope in fiction, especially in martial arts related fiction, so much so, that I don’t know how you immediately thought of Daredevil as a analogue....

Last edited:
Shang Chi's stuff predates Daredevil martial arts expanded backstory. Those elements didn't come about until Miller started writing Daredevil in the eighties. Editor Denny O'Neill wanted Daredevil to have a realistic fighting style so Miller introduced Ninjas and martial arts mythos to the character that didn't exist before.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"