Sharmeen Obaid-Chinoy's Untitled The New Jedi Order Film (Post-TROS, Rey Returns)

You have a fair point about the people behind the camera. However, to the best of my knowledge they were all fans to some degree and understood what they were up against. Nothing I've seen from Sharmeen Obaid-Chinoy screams fan-girl or understanding the way that Filoni and Favreau did. Quite frankly I question that with KK. She may understand the business, marketing, and merch, but to date she hasn't exactly shown she's a fan-girl who gets it either.
The last thing Star Wars needs is more fanboy energy. Favreau/Filoni's take on the franchise rooted in fanboyism is unbeareably tedious to me, SW needs fresh blood and artists who don't view the franchise as some sort of sacred text. There's a reason Andor is the best thing to come out of SW since the OT and a big part of that is Tony Gilroy and co don't care about Star Wars. They aren't fans. There's no obvious love for the franchise in Andor but there is an engagement with it - sometimes you need outside voices to come in and find new angles that haven't been explored yet.

Hmm...I do think there's a balance to be had. Andor was fantastic, yes, but it's also in no way a replacement for proper Star Wars to me. It's a flat out adult, dark, political thriller take on the franchise. There's a place for that, but when it comes to this Rey movie, I think this is going to be an attempt to recapture some of the magic and give us a reason to be invested in GFFA post-saga. It's going to be a story about the Jedi. I don't think anybody is going to stand a chance in taking that on if they don't have some level of respect and a deep understanding of what's come before and brought the story to this point. I'm not saying they should be a walking Wookiepedia, but I would hope that Obaid-Chinoy at least likes Star Wars and understands what makes it tick.

We need fresh voices, but I think that can include people who do love the franchise and also have new ideas to contribute too. That's what I think is going to be the balance needed to bring Star Wars back to the big screen successfully.

Look I'm with BatLobster here. When I say fan I don't mean uber-fans debating Xim's Empire. There needs to be a balance, and they need to like the property rather than look at it as a notch on a belt or something.

Andor was Andor. It was more a story set in the world of Star Wars than it was part of the "Chapter" films. It also took place during the right time in the history where you were dealing with the Empire, and none of the "big" characters were really involved, nor was any heavy Jedi/Sith mythology. The same was pretty true with Mandalorian in its first season.

With this new film you're building on an era that ended with (hopefully) the definative end of Palpatine, and another oppressive government. Which means what's left to explore is some of the deeper lore out there in terms of the Force and rebuilding. There are plenty of things people can bring to the mythology of Star Wars especially in this time, but you need to know how to put the parts and pieces together in a manner that doesn't further damage the brand and alienate fans. The best way to do that is to be at least some level of fan. The new concepts and mythology coming together really happened with Mando season 2 when they took the new concepts and peppered in the existing mythology was some of the best Star Wars out there IMHO.

Look I'm with BatLobster here. When I say fan I don't mean uber-fans debating Xim's Empire. There needs to be a balance, and they need to like the property rather than look at it as a notch on a belt or something.

That's exactly what I was trying to say, but you summed it up perfectly. If you're going to benefit from the platform and status that Star Wars is going to bring to your career, and you have new ideas you want to bring to it... you should at least come in with a solid understanding of the thing you're tackling. And that's something that can be learned/researched too btw, I'm not trying to gatekeep. But yeah, if it was only a career move and there's no love/interest there, then that would just be pretty cynical IMO. I have no reason to think that's the case here, but yeah.

Well we had Mando fall apart in S3, Thrawn was a disappointment. So at this point I'll try anyone out. I just want to hear about the story, what is the direction Star Wars is going. If the synopsis is interesting and the trailer peeks my interest I'll check it out.

Hmm...I do think there's a balance to be had. Andor was fantastic, yes, but it's also in no way a replacement for proper Star Wars to me. It's a flat out adult, dark, political thriller take on the franchise. There's a place for that, but when it comes to this Rey movie, I think this is going to be an attempt to recapture some of the magic and give us a reason to be invested in GFFA post-saga. It's going to be a story about the Jedi. I don't think anybody is going to stand a chance in taking that on if they don't have some level of respect and a deep understanding of what's come before and brought the story to this point. I'm not saying they should be a walking Wookiepedia, but I would hope that Obaid-Chinoy at least likes Star Wars and understands what makes it tick.

We need fresh voices, but I think that can include people who do love the franchise and also have new ideas to contribute too. That's what I think is going to be the balance needed to bring Star Wars back to the big screen successfully.
Personally, for me at least the whole idea of "Proper Star Wars" is something I'd prefer to see done away with. Just tell stories in the world with radically different voices and styles. I don't need anymore Star Wars stuff in general but if it has to exist I'd prefer it to just be unique feeling stories that happen to be set in the SW world. I feel like attempting to recapture the "classic" Star Wars style is mostly just a millstone at this point. It'll never be that again, so if you must make more SW stuff make something else.

You should obviously probably should think Star Wars is cool/interesting if you're working on Star Wars but at this point I'm just not interested in what hardcore SW fans do behind the camera. Maybe I'm just exhausted by how deeply I dislike Dave Filoni's take on the franchise, it honestly might be the lowpoint of the whole shebang for me.

Obviously, I don't want it all to feel like Andor. That would be silly. I only mean in the sense that it isn't making any attempt at recapturing the never-to-be-repeated magic of the classic Star Wars that exists in people's memories. The way it engages with less obvious aspects of the original movies, such as the way they are situated in the broader context of 1970s sci-fi cinema.

Last edited:
Personally, for me at least the whole idea of "Proper Star Wars" is something I'd prefer to see done away with. Just tell stories in the world with radically different voices and styles. I don't need anymore Star Wars stuff in general but if it has to exist I'd prefer it to just be unique feeling stories that happen to be set in the SW world. I feel like attempting to recapture the "classic" Star Wars style is mostly just a millstone at this point. It'll never be that again, so if you must make more SW stuff make something else.

You should obviously probably should think Star Wars is cool/interesting if you're working on Star Wars but at this point I'm just not interested in what hardcore SW fans do behind the camera. Maybe I'm just exhausted by how deeply I dislike Dave Filoni's take on the franchise, it honestly might be the lowpoint of the whole shebang for me.

Obviously, I don't want it all to feel like Andor. That would be silly. I only mean in the sense that it isn't making any attempt at recapturing the never-to-be-repeated magic of the classic Star Wars that exists in people's memories. The way it engages with less obvious aspects of the original movies, such as the way they are situated in the broader context of 1970s sci-fi cinema.

That's fair. I wasn't a huge fan of Ahsoka (objectively unwatchable unless you were a fan of the animated shows) or Mando Season 3, but I did think Mando Season 1-2 contains some really good Star Wars that struck that right balance of fresh and familiar for me, even if perhaps not life-changing. I think it was a mostly successful initial step onto the small screen for live action Star Wars.

On the idea of of "proper" Star Wars...it's interesting. I'm currently unsure if it ever can exist again. But with a project like this, I tend to root for it to fire all cylinders and be something that reminds people why they love Star Wars, especially semi-jaded fans like me. Not in a way that is shamelessly pandering, but just because it's a well-made blockbuster that feels authentic and is able to have mass appeal. It's maybe overly optimistic, but I guess I like the idea of there being an "A-story" as we move forward, because currently the direction seems to be throwing a ton of stuff at the wall to see what sticks, and I suspect that's mainly why many of us are feeling that burnout and fatigue with the franchise. When everything is a spinoff, it can all feel like content, even when some of it is exceptional like Andor. I think there's value in planting a flag and saying, "this story is the most important one we're telling". So I look at a movie like this as an opportunity to reestablish and in some sense redefine what mainline Star Wars even is now. Of course they're hedging their bets with other projects, but given LFL's recent history you have to take it all with a grain of salt. In a world where this movie is a massive hit, maayyybe they put more of their eggs in this basket instead of continuing down the road of maximum content. Probably not, but you never know.

This is also kind of why I was really interested in what Rian Johnson's trilogy was going to be, because it sounded like an attempt to do a brand new thing with entirely new characters while seeking to tap into the core of what made Star Wars tick. That looks like it's on the backburner forever now, so at the moment this could be that sort of attempt. Except rather than entirely new characters, it can use recently introduced characters that were underdeveloped (assuming Finn returns?) and try to bridge the main saga with something new. I think this movie has a very heavy lift and would need to really be something special to accomplish that. I'm neutral at the moment, as we know next to nothing about it. But trying my best to approach it with an open-mind and looking for reasons to be optimistic.

Last edited:
Star Wars needs to feel like an event with meaning again. It has to feel magical and almost ethereal, and the last time i felt that was with the ST, despite the final product being a mixed bag. Not the magic of "nostalgia", but something fresh. for all the prequels faults, I think something as different and new looking as TPM was back in 1999 but obviously less divisive. And in regards to Sharmeens comments, I don't think she said anything wrong. That being said, I wish she hadn't had said anything at all because now, the rest of the production of the movie is gonna be plagued with people bringing up her comments for years to come. Thankfully, I'm from the outside looking in and only enjoy Star Wars in a vaccumn these days so I won't be invested enough to engage. I do hope the film is great though.

Welp, the crapstorm has already begun...this movie is now catnip to the right-wing bubble. I already had my conservative mother (bless her heart) mention on the phone last night, "did you hear about that new Star Wars director?". 🤦‍♂️

It just makes me sad because Daisy deserves to be in a great movie that people give a fair shot, and Obaid-Chinoy deserves that space to create without all these preconceived notions of what she's going to do with the franchise. I am well beyond burnt out on the ugly divisiveness in Star Wars fandom. And that divisiveness goes well beyond which side of the political fence people are on. Unfortunately I think this atmosphere just makes all fans more disillusioned and it takes the fun out of it. I do not think Lucasfilm should be feeding directly into it at this point. Yeah, it's gonna get some clicks, but it just contributes to a sense of exhaustion.

I hope the movie is great enough that I can just happily shut out the noise. But I'm already kind of starting to dread it.

Last edited:
Based on her documentaries (the bulk of her work) and her Ms. Marvel episodes, it looks like this director's forte is focusing on the personal impact of societal oppression. Not sure how that would play into Star Wars. In Ms. Marvel she achieves this by mirroring real life personal conflicts with the fantasy superhero conflicts. Can't really do that in Star Wars, where there are no real life elements. So are we, like, gonna get a movie that focuses on the effects of societal oppression in the New Republic? We've seen a lot of oppression throughout the different time periods and across the different planets in the Star Wars universe, but there's always a sense of fantasy detachment towards it, even towards things like slavery, and especially towards clones and droids. Is there a way for a story with those kinds of themes to fit in the Star Wars universe?

Or is she just gonna do something completely outside her wheelhouse?

Welp, the crapstorm has already begun...this movie is now catnip to the right-wing bubble. I already had my conservative mother (bless her heart) mention on the phone last night, "did you hear about that new Star Wars director?". 🤦‍♂️

It just makes me sad because Daisy deserves to be in a great movie that people give a fair shot, and Obaid-Chinoy deserves that space to create without all these preconceived notions of what she's going to do with the franchise. I am well beyond burnt out on the ugly divisiveness in Star Wars fandom. And that divisiveness goes well beyond which side of the political fence people are on. Unfortunately I think this atmosphere just makes all fans more disillusioned and it takes the fun out of it. I do not think Lucasfilm should be feeding directly into it at this point. Yeah, it's gonna get some clicks, but it just contributes to a sense of exhaustion.

I hope the movie is great enough that I can just happily shut out the noise. But I'm already kind of starting to dread it.
I mean, I'm not sure what that would look like? The only way to avoid that is stripmining your movies of any political themes (which they already more or less do) or straight up not hiring women or people of colour to be involved in any capacity. Star Wars primarily exists as two things now: disposable streaming fodder and a cudgel for conservatives, the latter are not going to let go of its usefulness in that capacity ever.

I mean, I'm not sure what that would look like? The only way to avoid that is stripmining your movies of any political themes (which they already more or less do) or straight up not hiring women or people of colour to be involved in any capacity. Star Wars primarily exists as two things now: disposable streaming fodder and a cudgel for conservatives, the latter are not going to let go of its usefulness in that capacity ever.

Personally, I just feel like Obaid-Chinoy's comments on CNN openly invited all the clickbait and narrative shaping that followed. Maybe that's just inevitably going to be the case with this movie-- not because of her gender, mainly due to the fact that she's a political activist with a background in documentary filmmaking. In comparison, I don't recall any of this type of noise and clickbait around Bryce Dallas Howard or Deborah Chow directing Star Wars projects.

To be clear, there's nothing wrong with what she said, but I think it's just smarter business to focus the messaging on "we're excited to bring Star Wars back to the big screen", "we have a wonderful story that we can't wait for people to see", etc. Leading with identity politics when many fans are already skeptical/unsure about the general pitch for this movie just seems like bad PR. I'm not blaming Lucasfilm for that entirely, but I do think given the extremely divisive nature of the sequel trilogy and bringing back its main character, there should be some extra care taken with how they present this movie. It don't think they should be out there baiting people to form unfounded assumptions about the project more than they already are. By all means, she should be openly proud about being the first female/POC director of a Star Wars movie, but the phrasing of the "shaping the story" thing was a bit clumsy and IMO-- almost seemed like an unintentional swipe at Kathleen Kennedy, the Lucasfilm story group and all the female filmmakers that have recently stepped into the franchise.

Based on her documentaries (the bulk of her work) and her Ms. Marvel episodes, it looks like this director's forte is focusing on the personal impact of societal oppression. Not sure how that would play into Star Wars. In Ms. Marvel she achieves this by mirroring real life personal conflicts with the fantasy superhero conflicts. Can't really do that in Star Wars, where there are no real life elements. So are we, like, gonna get a movie that focuses on the effects of societal oppression in the New Republic? We've seen a lot of oppression throughout the different time periods and across the different planets in the Star Wars universe, but there's always a sense of fantasy detachment towards it, even towards things like slavery, and especially towards clones and droids. Is there a way for a story with those kinds of themes to fit in the Star Wars universe?

Or is she just gonna do something completely outside her wheelhouse?

Good questions. I think that could be an interesting angle for her to explore.

One of the ideas this movie could is explore is why does the Jedi Order need to come back? The Last Jedi raised this question and didn't fully answer it, beyond using Luke Skywalker's legend as a rallying call for the galaxy. But the question of what the new Jedi are and what their role is still has yet to be answered post-ROTJ.

Last edited:
Personally, I just feel like Obaid-Chinoy's comments on CNN openly invited all the clickbait and narrative shaping that followed. Maybe that's just inevitably going to be the case with this movie-- not because of her identity, but moreso due to the fact that she's a political activist with a background in documentary filmmaking. In comparison, I don't recall any of this type of noise and clickbait around Bryce Dallas Howard or Deborah Chow directing Star Wars projects.

There's nothing wrong with what she said, but I think it's just smarter business to focus the messaging on "we're excited to bring Star Wars back to the big screen", "we have a wonderful story that we can't wait for people to see", etc. Leading with identity politics when many fans are already skeptical/unsure about the general pitch for this movie just seems like bad PR. I'm not blaming Lucasfilm for that entirely, but I do think given the extremely divisive nature of the sequel trilogy and bringing back its main character, there should be some extra care taken with how they present this movie and embolden people to form unfounded assumptions more than they already will. By all means, she should be openly proud about being the first female/POC director of a Star Wars movie, but the phrasing of the "shaping the story" thing was a bit clumsy IMO-- almost seemed like an unintentional swipe at Kathleen Kennedy, the Lucasfilm story group and all the female filmmakers that have recently stepped into the franchise.
BDH and Deborah Chow are good directors but they're just doing hired gun work on mediocre, inoffensive TV shows. They are also not really making any sort of public political statements which is their prerogative but expecting a woman whose entire career is built around making provocative, feminist documentaries to not be primarily interested in talking about politics is sort of silly. One suspects that she isn't exactly going to be swimming in creative control over this movie but if you're going to hire a woman from that background I think you'd want her to make a much more political, provocative movie.

Plus, hey, making men uncomfortable is a noble goal. Especially in this era of incredibly safe, digestible franchise movies that exist solely to validate the nostalgia of primarily male and primarily older fans. I think the ideal Star Wars movie for the modern era probably would be incredibly divisive simply because a massive portion of the SW fandom are reprehensible freaks. There is no way to make Star Wars without it being a massive culture war issue. Might as well embrace it and be on the right side of it.

There is no way to make Star Wars without it being a massive culture war issue.

Man....I don't know. I see the concern but I also kinda disagree, or at least I'd like it not to be the case. Andor was probably the most overtly political Disney Star Wars, yet it didn't really stir up culture war stuff. There was no exhausting discourse around it, at least that I was aware of. I think it's very possible to do it if you just let the quality of the work speak for itself. In this case with Obaid-Chinoy, it is what it is...she has the professional background that she has and Lucasfilm hired her for the job knowing that. I just think it's a PR mishap to have her out there making self-congratulatory statements at this point, because of the timing and what's at stake with this particular project. There's nothing known about the movie and fans are already generally nervous about what this movie will be. Even when I told my wife that they were making a Rey movie (she absolutely LOVES Rey, her favorite SW character), she was like..."Hmmm...ok?" There's a cloud hanging over this movie in terms that people are at worst fully cynical that it's happening, and at best unsure why it's happening and waiting to be given a reason to care. So I see it as mainly an issue of poor timing more than anything.

The backlash to Disney Star Wars (specifically the ST) is way more nuanced and complicated than trying to generalize that it's all mouth breathing, basement dwelling trolls, and I think the more Lucasfilm allows themselves to be blinded by that tempting idea, the more they're going to keep repeating the same mistakes. Anecdotally, all of my real life friends are pretty normal, well-adjusted (firmly left-leaning) guys with jobs, families etc. They're exactly the core demo that Disney was aiming for with these films in theory. Nearly all of them absolutely loathed TLJ. Some of their kids don't like it either, specifically because of the Luke characterization. I was the only one in my friend group willing to be open to what the movie was trying to do and defend it. Still am. It bums me out and I wish people weren't so close-minded about it, but I'm just trying to take a dispassionate look at the situation. It really pains me to say it, because I was arguing strongly against this for a while, but with enough time and perspective...I have to admit that TLJ did some damage to the brand. The $300 million dropoff with TROS points pretty convincingly to that. Similar to how Justice League's box office has to reflect in some way the damage that BvS did. I take no joy in saying that, because I think TLJ was ultimately a good movie that was making a pretty b*llsy attempt to infuse some depth and meaning into the copy/paste gibberish that was TFA. But most people don't care why it's broken, they just know that it's broken.

Lucasfilm cannot afford to pretend that the backlash they faced with the ST is as cut and dry as people wanting the movies to reflect their own political ideologies. Obviously, there are plenty of those dummies out there and plenty of influencers brainwashing susceptible people to those ideas. But I would argue that the majority of the audience still simply want Star Wars to be what it CAN be: a beautiful, entertaining, escapist fantasy, with powerful mythological storytelling and strong filmmaking as the backbone of it. They don't care who's behind the camera or the identity politics involved. I think people just want a reason to care, to be moved emotionally. That's really it.

I'm well-aware that there's always going to be some level of this culture war stuff floating around these IPs at this point in time. What I'm saying is I think there's a way that can drift more to the periphery if the quality is just THAT good and the majority of the audience embraces it. It gives the 'opposition' much less opportunity to control the narrative. I've seen the arguments out there that The Batman is 'woke', or Ghostbusters: Afterlife is nothing but cynical nostalgia-bait catering to manbabies, etc. Both are gross overgeneralizations that miss the mark IMO, and they don't ultimately end up overshadowing the movies themselves. End of the day, the wider audience embraced those films. Money talks. Especially in this day and age where people are being pickier about what they run out and spend their money on at the movies.

Last edited:
Man....I don't know. I see the concern but I also kinda disagree, or at least I'd like it not to be the case. Andor was probably the most overtly political Disney Star Wars, yet it didn't really stir up culture war stuff.

Well this in of itself is pretty interesting to address. Andor is as 'woke' as anything that has come out. Did it just avoid the backlash because it was good? I agree with SoM that the embarrassing culture war stuff will continue. It is not an argument made in good faith. Feminism, diversity, whatever else are clearly not indicators of quality (good or bad) and never have been. Andor slipped by because the show proves it, and it is hard to keep banging that drum about [insert minority here] ruining the industry if you acknowledge that.

Case in point: This director makes a statement celebrating being a female in charge of a Star Wars movie for the first time, and the angry response is to completely miss the point about her position as director and claim she's ignoring all the previous female characters in the series. Maybe I'm too burnt out by this whole circus. I'm not seeing honest misunderstanding here, just more rage-bait, and more fodder for those with an agenda to paint something a sinister agenda.

Also, look, Andor's protagonist is a Latin man but he's still a man. If Cassian Andor were a woman that shows aggressively leftist politics wouldn't have flown under the radar so much.

Man....I don't know. I see the concern but I also kinda disagree, or at least I'd like it not to be the case. Andor was probably the most overtly political Disney Star Wars, yet it didn't really stir up culture war stuff. There was no exhausting discourse around it, at least that I was aware of. I think it's very possible to do it if you just let the quality of the work speak for itself. In this case with Obaid-Chinoy, it is what it is...she has the professional background that she has and Lucasfilm hired her for the job knowing that. I just think it's a PR mishap to have her out there making self-congratulatory statements at this point, because of the timing and what's at stake with this particular project. There's nothing known about the movie and fans are already generally nervous about what this movie will be. Even when I told my wife that they were making a Rey movie (she absolutely LOVES Rey, her favorite SW character), she was like..."Hmmm...ok?" There's a cloud hanging over this movie in terms that people are at worst fully cynical that it's happening, and at best unsure why it's happening and waiting to be given a reason to care. So I see it as mainly an issue of poor timing more than anything.

The backlash to Disney Star Wars (specifically the ST) is way more nuanced and complicated than trying to generalize that it's all mouth breathing, basement dwelling trolls, and I think the more Lucasfilm allows themselves to be blinded by that tempting idea, the more they're going to keep repeating the same mistakes. Anecdotally, all of my real life friends are pretty normal, well-adjusted (firmly left-leaning) guys with jobs, families etc. They're exactly the core demo that Disney was aiming for with these films in theory. Nearly all of them absolutely loathed TLJ. Some of their kids don't like it either, specifically because of the Luke characterization. I was the only one in my friend group willing to be open to what the movie was trying to do and defend it. Still am. It bums me out and I wish people weren't so close-minded about it, but I'm just trying to take a dispassionate look at the situation. It really pains me to say it, because I was arguing strongly against this for a while, but with enough time and perspective...I have to admit that TLJ did some damage to the brand. The $300 million dropoff with TROS points pretty convincingly to that. Similar to how Justice League's box office has to reflect in some way the damage that BvS did. I take no joy in saying that, because I think TLJ was ultimately a good movie that was making a pretty b*llsy attempt to infuse some depth and meaning into the copy/paste gibberish that was TFA. But most people don't care why it's broken, they just know that it's broken.
So, here's the thing though: if we're going for anecdotal experience because my social circle are entirely 20-30 something mostly queer/super lefty people who, if they pay attention to SW, love TLJ. I do agree it probably did some brand damage but, tbh, I think the mainstream audiences taste in movies is so far removed from mine that I'm just not interested in it. Maybe the best embodiment of what I suspect the GA wants at this point is something like Top Gun: Maverick which is a kind of filmmaking I literally could not be less interested in. What the GA wants out of SW is probably pretty close to just a less sloppy version of the Disney+ Filoni era content swill and I cannot imagine a bigger waste of time.

Not me saying anyone is dumb or their taste is bad, despite my strong language about it. Snobbery is a waste of time.
Lucasfilm cannot afford to pretend that the backlash they faced with the ST is as cut and dry as people wanting the movies to reflect their own political ideologies. Obviously, there are plenty of those dummies out there and plenty of influencers brainwashing susceptible people to those ideas. But I would argue that the majority of the audience still simply want Star Wars to be what it CAN be: a beautiful, entertaining, escapist fantasy, with powerful mythological storytelling and strong filmmaking as the backbone of it. They don't care who's behind the camera or the identity politics involved. I think people just want a reason to care, to be moved emotionally. That's really it.
Yeah, but mysteriously a lot of people's ideas about what is good classic escapist fare is super, super white and male and divorced from anything "political" in the sense conservative people define political. You cannot show people of colour, or queer people or contain any sort of meaningful statement in a Star Wars movie without it being a lightning rod of controversy. Because it's a rigged game, it's a tool for the right to use. A tool they're not going to let go. Nerd culture has become a massive front in the culture war and Star Wars is by far the worst of it, that is just a defining reality of what the franchise is now.

Even if you make the most apolitical movie ever (which is impossible and attempts at being apolitical in art are almost universally gigantic wastes of time) unless it is an overtly or covertly conservative narrative. The moment a Star Wars movie shows a woman with power and agency (who isn't Ahsoka I guess, were people mad about Ahsoka? The Filoni stuff sucks so hard I just tune it out) or the face of a person of colour it will now and forever more become a warzone. Everything is political and I don't see a lot of sense pretending like anything is able to escape that.

The audience cares about the politics of movies. Even if they don't realize they do.

I'm well-aware that there's always going to be some level of this culture war stuff floating around these IPs at this point in time. What I'm saying is I think there's a way that can drift more to the periphery if the quality is just THAT good and the majority of the audience embraces it. It gives the 'opposition' much less opportunity to control the narrative. I've seen the arguments out there that The Batman is 'woke', or Ghostbusters: Afterlife is nothing but cynical nostalgia-bait catering to manbabies, etc. Both are gross overgeneralizations that miss the mark IMO, and they don't ultimately end up overshadowing the movies themselves. End of the day, the wider audience embraced those films. Money talks. Especially in this day and age where people are being pickier about what they run out and spend their money on at the movies.
For sure, and I think that is a depressing state of affairs. A world where The Last Jedi or The Matrix Resurrections are rejected (to wildly different degrees, I'm not even entirely willing to concede the former was rejected) and Ghostbusters: Afterlife is held up as an ideal legacy sequel sounds like a pure hellscape. The latter is the absolute nadir of franchise filmmaking to me.

So, here's the thing though: if we're going for anecdotal experience because my social circle are entirely 20-30 something mostly queer/super lefty people who, if they pay attention to SW, love TLJ. I do agree it probably did some brand damage but, tbh, I think the mainstream audiences taste in movies is so far removed from mine that I'm just not interested in it. Maybe the best embodiment of what I suspect the GA wants at this point is something like Top Gun: Maverick which is a kind of filmmaking I literally could not be less interested in. What the GA wants out of SW is probably pretty close to just a less sloppy version of the Disney+ Filoni era content swill and I cannot imagine a bigger waste of time.
Thanks for sharing. And yeah, I don't mind hearing anecdotal stories, because I know it's going to be different for everyone and it's interesting to hear what people who may be less outside the internet movie fan bubble think about things. Personally speaking, I absolutely loved Top Gun: Maverick lol, so I guess that's where we're just gonna be approaching this whole thing differently. It's not that I want every movie to be that. But for me, that kind of thing just hits the spot every once in a while. A well-executed crowd pleaser. The emotional angle and character drama in that movie just works for me, the earnest simplicity of the story exactly what made it refreshing. I think there is a way to tackle nostalgia in a way that actually works and it doesn't always have to be a dirty word.

I guess for me, as a moviegoer...I want it all. I want more subversive takes on franchise blockbusters like Resurrections, TLJ, Barbie. I want challenging original films like Oppenheimer or pretty much anything Nolan does. And I want some 'up the middle' crowd-pleasers that get me in the feels like Maverick or Ghostbusters: Afterlife, too. I think there's room for all of it, and it's healthier for the movies if we have all of it. Movies aren't simply an intellectual exercise. They need to have resonance on that primal, emotional level that anyone can connect to, especially when you're talking about mass entertainment that by definition is in the business of selling as many tickets as possible. I think that's what a lot of people are losing sight of.

I also think when it comes to politics in movies...sure, it can always be there if you look for it. But political messages in big movies can be, and often are very easily misunderstood. By both sides, too. I think there's of course always value in trying to say something meaningful with your art, but I personally find much less value when films attempt to be overly didactic or preachy. It's difficult to identify precisely where that line is, and maybe that line is always moving...but you kind of always feel it when it's crossed. Especially when people feel the weight of a huge corporation like Disney behind it, patting themselves on the back for how progressive they are...it rubs people the wrong way. That's just reality. IMO, it often ends up undermining how effective filmmaking can be as a powerfully communicative artform in the first place. I always find it more potent when movies can raise questions, be thought-provoking, inspire actual dialogue. That's the whole point to me. To be able to do that while having mass appeal and also being escapist entertainment based on a beloved IP that people have an emotional connection to- well that's the whole inherent challenge of this stuff.

But I don't accept the premise that it just can't be done in the modern blockbuster landscape. I think there are examples to point to where it has been done successfully. Modern Star Wars has just mostly struggled with it, that's all. Has the current hellscape of life on the internet in this era helped? No, of course it hasn't. It's absolutely made things worse and it's made garnering any joy out of being a fan nearly impossible. At least for me.

Which is all the more why I think we badly need things that can bring us together and elevate us, now perhaps more than ever. I think Lucasfilm should really almost be looking at that as their duty and responsibility as they move forward. They can absolutely do that with more diversity in front of and behind the camera, and they can do that while being subversive and having interesting things to say with the movies. But the story has to come first. Everything else is just feeding into the noise.

Last edited:

I’ve been told that Disney has delayed the film “indefinitely”, which is why they surprised everyone last week and decided to announce “The Mandalorian and Grogu” as the next Star Wars movie. They just don’t have confidence that “New Jedi Order” will be happening in the near future.

The problems seem to reside in creative differences between screenwriter Steven Knight and LucasFilm. I’m told that a draft had originally been written for the film, but LucasFilm gave him so many notes that he had to start from scratch.

To make matters worse, there is the possibility that Knight might not be staying on-board the project. His frustrations have grown, so he’s put Star Wars on the backburner and is now focused on the screenplay for his “Peaky Blinders” movie, which is supposed to go into production in the fall.

These issues with Knight come only two years after development on the film started, and various drafts had circulated, with different writers, including Damon Lindelof (Watchmen) and Justin Brit-Gibson, both eventually exiting this untitled Rey Skywalker movie. Knight came aboard soon after.

It was widely reported and believed that this Rey movie would be the first one to get released, and a May 22nd, 2026 release date had been announced last year for it. This past November, Ridley had insinuated that the next Star Wars film to be released theatrically was going to be hers. Things have clearly changed.

Well, that’s not true, according to Lucasfilm. A source at the company told io9 the report is inaccurate and Knight continues to write and be a part of the process. In fact, the company is waiting on his latest draft as you read this.

Now, you can certainly understand the confusion. Last week’s announcement of the previously unannounced The Mandalorian & Grogu as the next Star Wars movie threw a wrench in everyone’s assumptions that the Rey New Jedi Order film would be the next one out. However, that news merely shifted things around and, as has been demonstrated with this film and its numerous writers over the past few years, the company seems to just want to take its time and make sure it gets everything right.

I don't buy Lucasfilm' statement in the least bit, given their track record of delayed to cancelled projects.

I think the Rey film will happen, but I'm highly skeptical that this project is gonna go before cameras anytime in the near future.

Still indicating an April start, however. Considering the extremely large incentive to have negative rumors, you will pardon me if I have doubts on such claims.

Dubious source is dubious... But as far as rumours go, it's a 50/50 shot with any Star Wars project actually getting made. Wouldn't put any stock in any project these days until there's a trailer, but I hope it happens and is great.

I mean, it seems like most things are a bit delayed right now because of the strike. I'm not even bothering to follow this story because it seems like a big nothingburger with no concrete facts and lots of agendas behind it.

Though I would imagine that the Mando movie is now slotted to come first which I think would make sense. The Rey movie needs as much distance from TROS as possible, it's probably a bit too soon as it is.

April 2023:

October 2023:

However, since they’ve stopped working for a long time, and they actually can’t really move forward with pre-production until the SAG-AFTRA strike ends and they can cast the movie, I argued the studio might have given Knight time until Thanksgiving. Well, while they didn’t get into more specifics, sources in the know say this end-of-October/Thanksgiving due date is in the ballpark of Lucasfilm’s actual plans. So it seems fair to assume that by the Christmas break, Lucasfilm will at least have read the new script, and likely given notes as well.

January 2024:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"