Sharmeen Obaid-Chinoy's Untitled The New Jedi Order Film (Post-TROS, Rey Returns)

I love Daisy. SHE is cool as sh*t. I really hope this works out well, she deserves it.

I know it's unpopular but I honestly think Rey is as cool as sh*t too.

Right alongside Luke Obi Wan Anakin as my favorite Jedi character in the franchise.

I really hope this movie is good because while not for everyone I loved the sequel trilogy and think the post ROS era has a lot of potential.

I think Rey's really cool, I hope we get some new species as Jedi's in Rey's school, the Star Wars lore in general needs to build genuine interest in characters other than Skywalkers or Solo's. At least if they intend to keep making films

God, I am already exhausted by the discourse over this movie.

God, I am already exhausted by the discourse over this movie.
It's wild that Star Wars will literally, for sure, zero doubt never not be drowning in exhausting discourse ever again. It will define it forever. I'd argue at this point it's gradually becoming the most famous aspect of it, tbh. The same can be said of most franchises but SW is probably the most extreme.

It's wild that Star Wars will literally, for sure, zero doubt never not be drowning in exhausting discourse ever again. It will define it forever. I'd argue at this point it's gradually becoming the most famous aspect of it, tbh. The same can be said of most franchises but SW is probably the most extreme.

I definitely think it‘s a reflection of where we’re at with the culture war seeping into movie fandom/pop culture, and Star Wars is/was kind of at the forefront that so I guess it’s not entirely surprising that it would be the most divisive. Especially when the Disney era has been very all over the place.

I do think it’s fair to point out that a lot of kids and families still do love Star Wars though. So in a way it’s still reaching its intended audience the way it was meant to. There will be kids who were 5 when The Force Awakens came out who will be 15 or so when this new Rey movie hits and I bet that will be very exciting for them

I still think people haven’t even processed how radical a shift we’ve seen with the prequels though. The discourse around them at the time maybe wasn’t politically charged the way it’s become now, but it was still pretty toxic and often felt mean-spirited nonetheless. It was hard to say anything nice about them online without facing the wrath of a lot of angry fans, I know from experience. The fact that we now have Hayden Christensen returning to Star Wars and it’s widely embraced is actually kind of insane. And it’s all largely due to a generation of kids simply growing up and having a voice in the conversation.

I think it remains to be seem if the ST era kids will grow up and continue to be as fond of it, especially when they’re growing up in an era saturated with so much other Star Wars media and media as a whole. But I wouldn’t rule out the possibility that given enough time, the overall conversation around Star Wars will change once again + there’s the fact that culture as a whole isn’t static and we have no idea how other changes on the horizon will reflect back into how we relate to our pop mythologies. My (semi) optimistic two cents for the day. :joking:

It would be nuts if this film came together, actually came out, and was so good that everyone legitimately enjoyed it. Maybe the fanbase would chill out a little. I like Rey. I wish IX hadn't happened to her, or me; but I'm still interested in seeing her character again.

It would be nuts if this film came together, actually came out, and was so good that everyone legitimately enjoyed it. Maybe the fanbase would chill out a little. I like Rey. I wish IX hadn't happened to her, or me; but I'm still interested in seeing her character again.
It's a Star Wars movie with a female lead. It could be the greatest movie ever made and it would still be the subject of massive, constant, overwhelming controversy. It's just The World, and unlikely to change at any point in the foreseeable future.

It's a Star Wars movie with a female lead. It could be the greatest movie ever made and it would still be the subject of massive, constant, overwhelming controversy. It's just The World, and unlikely to change at any point in the foreseeable future.

Well yeah, of course. But I had a moment of hope there, just a moment.

To be fair, Rogue One is extremely popular with fans. Ahsoka is a huge fan favorite. I don't think we can simplify Star Wars backlash as neatly as fans reacting against the existence of a female protagonist. There is some level of that for SURE, but there is also evidence to the contrary when it comes to the fanbase as a whole. Just look at the warm reception Daisy got at Celebration.

What really made a mess of things is that a lot of fans felt, rightly or not, that the sequel trilogy was a systematic attempt to tear down the OT characters and replace them with...Rey, rather than a more traditional passing of the torch to a new group of characters. And while I don't think that was ever the intent, the messy manner in which the ST was created sort of ends up making it feel that way, or least I can see where people get that idea. Especially when it really never managed to execute anything great with Finn. So there's a lopsidedness to Rey's importance that can feel a bit unearned, and then you have stuff like the killing of Han and Luke's treatment. Those things being divisive are so predictable that it's pretty much baked into it, there's no getting around it. But it creates a very tough environment for Rey to "get over", in wrestling terms haha.

Again, that's why I'm hoping this movie can be something great. Rey feels like a character with great potential who was still in development. It might be too late to win over a large portion of disgruntled fans, but I still think there can be an opportunity for the movie to be an overall success if it's genuinely great.

To be fair, Rogue One is extremely popular with fans. Ahsoka is a huge fan favorite. I don't think we can simplify Star Wars backlash as neatly as fans reacting against the existence of a female protagonist.

There's all kinds of splinters in the fandom these days. About the only thing you can generalise about them is that regardless of the situation, Star Wars fans will likely be annoying about it, ha. I'd agree Rogue One and Ahsoka seem to be very popular in general, which is funny cause I'm not too fond of either.

For as gross and lame as I find your typical 'fandom menace' type, I still have to hand it to Disney for poisoning the waters. I can respect a TLJ style swing, even if it isn't a bullseye. I can endure the exhausting discourse, hell I could even argue with people indefinitely. But it has become clear that Disney didn't mean to take that swing, and everything about how TROS was cobbled together exposed just how little those in charge care about the story. After that, how could I possibly care anymore?

It's freeing in a way though. No need to keep up, I just check out the good stuff after the dust has settled. When it comes down to it, it's all extra content after the OT.

From the new Disney SEC filing.

VP70LLg.jpeg

image_12.jpg

I would have been really excited about this after The Force Awakens. But Rise of Skywalker and even more so The Last Jedi soured me on the character.

Nothing wrong with the performance from Daisy though, hope she really gets to shine here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"