Shazam Shazam: Fury of the Gods General News and Discussion Thread

Zachary Levi drops a brief teaser and Comic-Con news.

"Its all about FAMILY!"

fast-and-furious-batman-meme.jpg

I liked the first film so I'm looking forward to this second one.

For why would you show the basic plotline in the first trailer? Much like with the first one, I feel like I already know how the movie will go. Seriously, who makes these trailers for both Marvel and DC these day?

This storyline with Billy suddenly being clumsy seems weird? He struggled during his first encounter with Sivanna, but he seemed to be doing just fine at the end of the first movie? I dunno, I guess they needed to give him some internal conflict but this didn't feel quite right.

Rest of the film looks fine. I do love the first movie so I hope Fury of the Gods is good.

This looks like a lot of fun. Lucy Liu and Helen Mirren should be fun villains and the updated suits look great.

Sorry to be a party-pooper, but while I appreciate Sandberg's passion for his craft (see his YouTube channel), I don't really understand what he's going for with this franchise.

The first movie seemed really bland to me. Not bad in any way, it was competently made, but just way too generic... I could have swear it was a "boardroom" project.
And this sequel, to me, looks a bit the same, but more expansive. Again, this is just my opinion, and my lack of true interest in the character maybe to consider. But in the context of the genre's oversaturated market, I can't shake the feeling that I'm seeing something a little bit uninspired.

That sounds harsher than I'd like, but you'll get the idea.
_____​

Now, a more constructive criticism I wanted to make concerns both performances for the main character. I can't believe that Zachary Levy and Asher Angel are playing the same character.

While the former seems to run with his idea of a teenager who gains superpowers, with a very dynamic, somewhat cheeky and awkward temperament, the latter portrays a less caricatured and more stoic and reserved character.
So maybe we're supposed to understand that Billy Batson becomes more extroverted when transformed. But even then, I can't find enough connection between the two for me to really buy it.

Am I the only one on this ? I don't know if it comes down to casting or direction. Maybe both.
Ironically, I think Jack Dylan Graze would have been a more natural alter ego for Levy...

Last edited:
A lot more fun than Black Adam, at least going off the trailers so far. . .
Yeah, to be honest I'm not feeling those Black Adam trailers. I do like seeing Hawkman and Doctor Fate looking cool as hell though, but Dwayne Johnson always playing Dwayne Johnson just doesn't work for me. But I'm keeping optimistic, I like the director.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"