Inhumans Should have waited for movie budget?

how much of a budget would they have given this for a motion picture? 100 million? 150 million?

if so, i'm sure they'd have wanted some somewhat more known actors

Somewhere between those numbers. They might have gone for better known actors because the property is such a risk, but Marvel has typically avoided star power in favor of up and coming stars. Think Chris Hemsworth as a typical example. Recently, you've got Brie Larson, Chadwick Boseman, and Benedict Cumberbatch, which are known in certain circles, but not household names. I wouldn't be shocked if Iwan Rheon and Anson Mount were still in a movie if they were making casting decisions. I doubt Ken Leung would be in a movie because he's very firmly a TV actor, but I don't think the replacement would be instantly recognizable either.

Somewhere between those numbers. They might have gone for better known actors because the property is such a risk, but Marvel has typically avoided star power in favor of up and coming stars. Think Chris Hemsworth as a typical example. Recently, you've got Brie Larson, Chadwick Boseman, and Benedict Cumberbatch, which are known in certain circles, but not household names. I wouldn't be shocked if Iwan Rheon and Anson Mount were still in a movie if they were making casting decisions. I doubt Ken Leung would be in a movie because he's very firmly a TV actor, but I don't think the replacement would be instantly recognizable either.

Excellent point

Also, just to remind everyone, this almost certainly wasn't a matter of "waiting for a movie or not". Inhumans wasn't a movie not because there wasn't a timeslot for it, Inhumans wasn't a movie because the only person who wanted to do Inhumans was Perlmutter in the first place. "Waiting so it could be a movie" would be basically the same as "Not doing Inhumans", since the only way I could see Feige introducing them would be as Ms Marvel supporting cast.

I'm wondering, did Ike even know wtf the Inhumans are? Or did he just see a bunch of colorful characters and thought "I could make alot of money out of these characters like those Xmen of the galaxy movies"

From what I hear Ike is just a clueless studio suit that's against minority and female casting. He just needs to bank roll these projects and let the creative's do there jobs.

Even if Ike knows what the Inhumans are, hiring the wrong people and division wouldn't make a difference.

I watched Star Trek Discovery (STD lol) yesterday.

Setting the story aside (ugh...) I was BLOWN away with what they did with visuals. Everything from the CGI, shot composition, all the way to costumes and set design. This is cinema quality visuals on a TV budget. It can be done. I'm sure this would look great on IMAX screens.

This just goes to show how much Marvel dropped the ball with Inhumans. It's not a matter of the screenwriter - the producers didn't support the project with enough resources (time is also a resource!) and talent. You can always stumble creatively (sometimes things just don't work out), but there's no excuse for putting out something that looks as if there was no pre-production work.

They tried a very ambitious project and thought it could be handled just like an average TV show. I'm sure a lot of time will pass before the Marvel TV team gets another opportunity like this.

On the other hand - what CBS did with Star Trek makes me really hopeful about a potential Star Wars TV show.

Yeah, the first episode of Discovery has some shockingly good production value, particularly based on the rumored budget. I'm curious if the rest of the episodes have the same quality, but I don't have CBS All Access, so I don't know.

It's not so much the budget that's the problem. The cgi is acceptable, the sets are good though Attilan is too limited, and the costumes are okay. But if the characters aren't engaging enough, if the story isn't interesting enough, and the action is not fun than those problems become glaring.

They're problem isn't budget, but talent when it comes to story telling.

It's not so much the budget that's the problem. The cgi is acceptable, the sets are good though Attilan is too limited, and the costumes are okay. But if the characters aren't engaging enough, if the story isn't interesting enough, and the action is not fun than those problems become glaring.

They're problem isn't budget, but talent when it comes to story telling.

Well, this thread was started months before anyone saw the story, so of course it couldn't come to this conclusion. It could only criticize based on superficial judgments.

After seeing the first two episodes I honestly didn't think it looked that bad visually with the exception of Medusa's hair and Lock Jaw, but it's nothing compared to what they did with those first two episodes of Star Trek Discovery. Now, that was really impressive, and like Mike I'm also very curious to see if it will continue to looks as good for the rest of the season.

Well, this thread was started months before anyone saw the story, so of course it couldn't come to this conclusion. It could only criticize based on superficial judgments.

I know, I'm just saying as an observation having just watched Inhumans, budget isn't the problem

They can't really embrace the action and the spectacle under a TV budget. Like imagine if this got mos kind of action, it'd be still be lukewarm but at least the action scenes would be more enjoyable.

Should Inhumans be high-octane action anyway? That's not really true to the source material.

Not particularly since I'm not a big Inhumans fan. The characters just don't interest me.

I'm going with this should've waited for a different network

Every live-action Marvel show has to go through ABC Studios and I seem to recall barely any of the ABC shows are remarkable for their productions relative to other channels' best

Should Inhumans be high-octane action anyway? That's not really true to the source material.

Not exactly High octane, I don't want to see them destroy cities for just 1 scene. But the Inhumans were easily defeated like for example , they could have given Medusa a decent fight scene against Max's minions before shaving her wig but nope. A few whips there and she was down. Crystal couldn't even defend herself despite the ability to manipulate the elements? Jeez.

Under Marvel studios. I really don't think it would've mattered. Most of their films look like they were made for TV.

Troll troll troll troll
Troll troll troll troll
Dun dun dun dun du duhhhh
Troll!

I don't understand the question. Inhumans is not a sentient being that can wait for things, nor would waiting increase the budget.

Speaking of budget, I found this interesting..
Fox Passed On X-Men Hellfire Club Series for A Pretty Simple Reason
http://www.cbr.com/fox-reason-passed-x-men-hellfire-club-series/

There’s a very simple reason why the Hellfire Club never made it to television with Fox: it would have been too expensive and complicated.

I wish Loeb and Ike came to the same realization before the green lit Inhumans. They clearly didn't have the budget and time to do Inhumans justice.

They should have done a version of the Thunderbolts or something.

Fox should've hired Scott Buck to helm their X-Men Hellfire series. He would've been able to bring it under budget. :hehe:

Most superhero shows are under budget, that's why film is still the better medium. More screentime for the characters, yet so many restrictions.

Am I crazy or does Jupiter Ascending have the perfect visual and tonally sensibilities as the Inhumans?
*Royal alien lineage.
*Characters with a huge variety of designs.
*Humans harvested as an alien resource.

The back stabbing and deception in this movie is the kind of thing I would have loved to see in the Inhumans between ALL the family members not just Maximus.
[YT]gQHKolIqBGs[/YT]

I'm still wondering on where most of the supposed large budget went for this show. I mean does it really cost that much to film on Hawaii? How is it that shows like the Flash, Arrow, and Legends....all of which are on the CW Network, look and feel more cinematic than anything we've seen on this show thus far?

I mean I feel like most of the material that we've gotten so far looks like something that well funded college students could have created.

And for a show that's called Inhumans, they barely show the powers of any of its cast members.

If filming this show in Hawaii was really that expensive, along with creating the effects for everyone's powers, then Loeb should have made the story take place somewhere else, a place that's more cheaper to film the show on, so that they could have saved most of the budget on the effects and production design.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"