• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

Homecoming Should Sony Make A Spider-Gwen Film As It's Female Spidey Film?

LEVITIKUZ

Avenger
Reaction score
spider-gwen.png

Ok, I'm only bringing this up for 2 reasons. First off if you don't know, there's a Spiderverse comic event which promises to include every Spider-Man universe ever. They even made some new universes to go with Spiderverse. One of them is a universe where instead of Peter getting bite my a spider, Gwen was. It's been getting praised and people love it so much, Marvel announced at NYCC that they will be doing a Spider-Gwen series.

I'm only considering this for 2 reasons. 1, Spider-Gwen is IMO one of the most awesome ideas from Spider-Man comic in a long time. I love the idea and it's so simple yet so awesome. 2, because Emma Stone could possibly return as Gwen and be Spider-Gwen and no matter what people think of TASM series, Emma's Gwen has been proclaimed as no doubt the best thing about it.

Personally with the latest rumors, I don't know if the film is still happening. They never said they canceled it but let's say it's still gonna happen, would you like to see Spider-Gwen be the female Spider-Man film?

I liked thd Spider-Gwen issue, but no.

It's most likely Black Cat if it's even still happening.

Once Sony figures out how to make a great Spidey film, then they can focus on a Spider-Gwen film.

I realize you can make the same argument against the spinoffs, but a Spider-Gwen film is a whole different direction. I'm definitely not against the idea in it's entirety, though. Just not with the current state of the franchise.

Nah, it may work as a comic book but may not work well in film. I do appreciate the concept though and seeing Emma return. If they wanted to incorporate that into the TASM series, it could come in TASM4 (if they get that far with the series) and build up to that in TASM3 but other than that, I'd rather see Black Cat even though I don't really want to see Black Cat in a solo film either.

I've heard a lot of people say the female-centered film was scrapped with Venom. No idea how legit that is, but I wouldn't be surprised at all.

Yes.

A Spider-Gwen film would be awesome. And if not her, definitely Silk! :word:

But I wonder if they have access to these characters ??

Probably best if the rights reverted so Marvel could do them, they'd just be ruined like the flagship otherwise.

Last edited:
Why would you want a film about brand new characters with almost no backstory vs. characters created decades ago with lots of stories to draw from and many years of development?

If Spider-Gwen and Silk become well established and loved characters, and stick around for more then a decade or two, maybe then they can consider making a movie involving them. As of now they don't even have a good reference on how to portray them. We have no idea if these characters will stick around, and no idea how they might grow or change in the comics. Doing anything with them in a film would be a shot in the dark. Not only that, it is an insult to choose them over tried and true characters who have not yet made it to film.

Gwen's death in the comics drove to new story arcs for Peter. Let's respect that, see those stories put to film, and not jump over Spidey's past just to put in something that may be a cool idea because it's happening now, over 40 years later.

Last edited:
Why would you want a film about brand new characters with almost no backstory vs. characters created decades ago with lots of stories to draw from and many years of development?

If Spider-Gwen and Silk become well established and loved characters, and stick around for more then a decade or two, maybe then they can consider making a movie involving them. As of now they don't even have a good reference on how to portray them. We have no idea if these characters will stick around, and no idea how they might grow or change in the comics. Doing anything with them in a film would be a shot in the dark. Not only that, it is an insult to choose them over tried and true characters who have not yet made it to film.

Gwen's death in the comics drove to new story arcs for Peter. Let's respect that, see those stories put to film, and not jump over Spidey's past just to put in something that may be a cool idea because it's happening now, over 40 years later.

In other news, instead of a Flash film or a Wonder Woman film or a Black Panther film who has years of history, it was announced Brad Pitt's production company brought the rights to Scott Snyder & Jock's Wytches comic. The first issue to the comic came out last week and days later got a movie deal.

Yes to a Spider- girl film set in the future with Peter's daughter. Yes to a Mary Jane Loves Spiderman live action teen show ala Lois and Clark: The new adventures of Superman style. No to Spider- Gwen.

If they introduce Alt universes yeah, why not? Spider-Gwen's awesome and that worlds all crazy and fun.

I don't want alternate realities or clones or any of this kind of crap to be part of the Spidey films.

I'll take whatever is written well. I don't mind all that crazy **** when it's executed right.

This franchise has had so many misses since Spider-Man 3 it just needs something well received overall . Don't really care how they get there anymore. I enjoy most of the Spider world and characters in general anyways.

In light of Vulture just releasing a mashup trailer for a Spider-Gwen movie, I figured I'd bump this thread with a link to said trailer, as well as my thoughts on the concept as a whole.

First, a link to the mashup trailer video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4dqg1z0dgc

Now, my thoughts on the concept:
Although that trailer is fake, the concept behind it is actually something that is, as far as I know, very much possible given that, even in light of their new partnership deal with Marvel Studios, Sony retains control and ownership of the Spider-Man property and are therefore free to do with it whatever they want, even if what they're doing with it isn't connected to the MCU.

This kind of project could therefore easily and legally be developed - unless I'm mistaken and they don't straight-up own the rights to the Spider-Gwen concept - by Sony at some point independently of their deal with Marvel Studios and the Spider-Man character's presence in the MCU and released in theaters, and it's personally something I'd love to see, even if it didn't involve Emma Stone putting a new and different spin on the character.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"