• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

Homecoming Should Sony Make A Spider-Gwen Film As It's Female Spidey Film?

"No" as in "No, they should not make a Spider-Gwen film". Wasn't that the question that was asked in this thread?

The one-word answer could've been in objection to the thread question, or in objection to my assertion that Sony could do such a project independently if they were so inclined... hence why I asked for clarification.

I didn't mean to cause offense, but I wanted to be sure there weren't any misunderstandings as to what you were objecting to.

The one-word answer could've been in objection to the thread question, or in objection to my assertion that Sony could do such a project independently if they were so inclined... hence why I asked for clarification.

I didn't mean to cause offense, but I wanted to be sure there weren't any misunderstandings as to what you were objecting to.

Let's make it clear that if I mean to reply to a specific post, I'll quote it. :yay:

Now, my thoughts on the concept:
Although that trailer is fake, the concept behind it is actually something that is, as far as I know, very much possible given that, even in light of their new partnership deal with Marvel Studios, Sony retains control and ownership of the Spider-Man property and are therefore free to do with it whatever they want, even if what they're doing with it isn't connected to the MCU.
We get it, Digific. Sony still owns the Spider-Man film rights, you don't have to keep reminding us, dude.

And If they ever did a Spider Gwen movie at some point down the line, I'd prefer it to be set within the MCU with Tom's Spider-Man.

Digic I posted the trailer a few days ago over in lounge thread. As cool as spider gwen is. And I love her comic. I doubt films will ever use hee in that way.

More so in mcu. I bet we will either get classic gwen or a ultimate/ classic mix. And see her for a few films. Then off her. Or write her out with moving away or something. If we ever see spider gwen I could see it maybe for the sony animates film. More so if they end up doing some sort of spiderverse ideas or original sony plans with the animated film.

@Webhead: The great thing (IMO) about the situation we're in right now is that, with this partnership deal, there are actually far more options when it comes to the Spider-Man license than there ever were previously, and it's actually easier for Sony to do the kinds of things with the property that they had been planning to do before the deal was made, since they can essentially 'have their cake and eat it too' by, if they are so inclined, putting out multiple different stories using the property, some of which are/could be connected to the MCU, and some of which stand on their own.

I therefore wouldn't be so quick to assume that a project like Spider-Gwen won't ever be looked at or developed, especially if Sony's animated non-MCU Spider-Man film that comes out in 2018 proves that there's a market out there that's big enough for different versions of the character and his supporting cast to exist simultaneously.

@harry: It's virtually impossible to discuss the futur/potential future of the Spider-Man property without mentioning the studio that is in charge of plotting said future/potential future from a corporate standpoint, so I'm not going to apologize for continuing to mention Sony and Spider-Man in the same breath.

I can't see sony doing live action spidey related films and not be tied to mcu that be so dumb and work again the world mcu is now. As I said love spider gwen. But I doubt we will see marvel or sony do a live film of her any time soon. Again if any of sony original plans happen I fully expect them to use the animated film or serirs of films if it warrants sequels and try to make use of plans they didn't get to do with live action.

Live action wise I bet marvel and sony will just stick with peter and only peter for a good while. Then maybe miles in like 10 yrs or so. But who really knows what will happen.

I can't see sony doing live action spidey related films and not be tied to mcu that be so dumb and work again the world mcu is now. As I said love spider gwen. But I doubt we will see marvel or sony do a live film of her any time soon. Again if any of sony original plans happen I fully expect them to use the animated film or serirs of films if it warrants sequels and try to make use of plans they didn't get to do with live action.

Live action wise I bet marvel and sony will just stick with peter and only peter for a good while. Then maybe miles in like 10 yrs or so. But who really knows what will happen.

Why would it be dumb for Sony to release live-action Spider-Man-related stories that aren't tied to the MCU? They're under no obligation to restrict live-action use of the property to stories that are tied to their deal with Marvel Studios, and it would actually be silly for anyone to expect such to be the case, especially if the 2018 animated film proves that there's a market out there for both MCU-related and non-MCU-related Spider-Man-related content.

There's also no rule - written or unwritten - that says that everything that happens with Spider-Man that is associated with the MCU HAS to be live-action, especially not with the development and release of the GotG animated series.

In my opinion it just confuses the general audience thinking it be with mcu and since we know marvel is spearing the creative end for spidey right now. I doubt sony want to mess around with that. I said in other thrrads. Personally if sony wants to use any of their original ideas. They have animates film or film serirs to do it their. I do not expect to see sony do any non peter spidey live action films any time soon let alone I don't think they will. But again who knows what will happen. But for me I think it's highly unlikely.

General audiences are much smarter than you're giving them credit for being.

If there proves to be a market out there for both MCU-related and non-MCU-related Spider-Man content, there's absolutely no reason why Sony can't and shouldn't take advantage of that market in any way they want to.

It would be very easy for Sony to unequivocally establish that something like a Spider-Gwen film was completely unconnected to and separate from what's happening with Spider-Man in the MCU.

DC is doing just fine in developing live-action projects across multiple unconnected universes as far as audience reception is concerned, and the same thing would apply to Sony should they choose to go that same route in the future with Spider-Man or related characters.

Last edited:
Digic we are likely just going to go round oh round on this. And in leave it as this. I am curious to see what marvel and sony do with peter spidey. I am curious to see what their animated plans go. But any other spider film or spin off I do not and don't expect we will see hapoen at all at this given time.

You can close yourself off to the possibility of the MCU version of the character of Spider-Man that we ever get going forward if you choose, but that doesn't mean that it's going to be proven to be an accurate assessment of things.

If Sony can make a profit on the Spider-Man property, they're going to do so, regardless of whether or not the way in which they do so is tied to their deal with Marvel Studios, and it doesn't matter if the way in which they do so is through live-action stuff or animated stuff.

And you can go off on your thoughts. I am going by what is most likely going to happen right now and likely be the views for mcu and sony for the forseeable future with spidey.

And you can go off on your thoughts. I am going by what is most likely going to happen right now and likely be the views for mcu and sony for the forseeable future with spidey.

There IS no "most likely to happen right now" in this situation, though, nor is there a "most likely to happen for the foreseeable future" in this situation.

Ok if sony really wanted to have more non mcu spidey films and plans. They would have likely co toned on plans for spin offs and other films. Next to mcu spidey. As we know right now all original pre marvel plans are dead in the water. And won't be hapoening. And again to spidey himself is back on good footing no way any other pre marvel ideas will likely happen in live action.

^ The only one of Sony's live-action Spider-projects that had been planned prior to the establishment of this partnership with Marvel Studios that has been officially cancelled as of now is Sinister Six. Everything else is still very much in limbo.

Even if their current focus is on rebooting Spidey as part of the MCU, there is absolutely nothing dictating that their focus can't or won't change in the future.

Considering how Marvel seems to be shoving her down our throats as much as they did with Deadpool, I wouldn't be surprised if they crammed her into a movie somehow.

And actually, she even is Deadpool now! Amazing how fast Marvel can kill an interesting concept!

Well if you all saw the MTV interview with feige. You can see marvel is pretty much wanting and focusing effort on peter and the solo film. And again we are likely not going to see a spin off any time soon. And I still feel we likely wont. As they need to get spidey himself in good footing. Then open up to other spidey spin off things at a later time.

Well if you all saw the MTV interview with feige. You can see marvel is pretty much wanting and focusing effort on peter and the solo film. And again we are likely not going to see a spin off any time soon. And I still feel we likely wont. As they need to get spidey himself in good footing. Then open up to other spidey spin off things at a later time.

Sony doesn't need Marvel Studios and Kevin Feige's team involved in order to do this kind of a project, though, and it wouldn't need to be connected to the MCU.

And again with the focus solely on peter spidey and sony money woes. Come on they are not going to be doing anything at all or for at least a 4 to 6 yr minimum man. The writing on the dam wall.

^ 2018's non-MCU animated movie says you're unequivocally wrong.

I don't think that we'll see anything like a Spider-Gwen movie until at least 2019, but the point of this whole thing is that there's nothing stopping Sony from doing this kind of project at any time if they wanted to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
picamon
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"